Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread*** [R1 points linked in first post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alexor95

I have accepted my place in UCD law, and want to get some papers rechecked to get into TCD law. Is there any chance that if my results are downgraded I will lose my place in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Well done to everyone who got the offer they wanted today, and for those who did not, don't panic, there are plenty of options available to you.
    And a very well done to the likes of Randy, Spurious, Rainbowtrout (and anyone else I may have forgotten!) for replying to so many questions on here for the past few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

NOT GOOD ENOUGH! :p

Unless you were here at 6, you're not in the club! :cool:

Don't mind me, I'm overtired and in silly mood! On a more serious level, congrats, hope you enjoy it! ;)

I stayed up until 5:15 because of Dan . I just couldn't cope lol
    And of course thanks :)

Lads for anyone who got ucc and accepted try this thread I made so we can find people who are doing the same course and have similar interests . It's only a few weeks away .
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057271825/1/#post91780673

Not trying to derail thread or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

a0ifee wrote: »
    anyone get their trinity welcome email yet?

coming from someone who started in trinity last year, don't be expecting much communication from them for a while. they're known for being fairly laid back about registration/communication etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

Can someone tell me is Plassey or Kilmurry better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Got my first choice! Has anyone gone to college without knowing anybody there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

alexor95 wrote: »
    I have accepted my place in UCD law, and want to get some papers rechecked to get into TCD law. Is there any chance that if my results are downgraded I will lose my place in UCD?

In practice I don't think it happens.

1500 papers were upgraded out of 9000 that were appealed last year. 3 papers in the whole country were downgraded.

To be fair, if you spotted somewhere on the paper where you got marks that you didn't deserve are you going to send it back??:D

That's one thing about the appeals: check every answer on the paper. See what you were awarded marks for and what you weren't awarded marks for.

No point sending back your paper for answer that you should have been awarded 5 marks for if you find another answer in the same paper that was wrong but was awarded 10 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Does anyone know what the score you recieved on each of your choices means? its on the letter that comes in the post

Plassey has 8 students in each house. 8 single bedrooms, and two bathrooms.

Kilmurry has 5 per house.

It's been more than 10 years since i was in UL but the college tended to house first year in Plassey so they could get to know each other and not be stuck in with third and fourth years that all knew each other and keep most of the places in the village for them

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CitrusCircus

alexor95 wrote: »

unfortunately, yes if your points fall below minimum requirements

• Advertisement

unfortunately, yes if your points fall below minimum requirements

I have never heard of anyone getting booted out of college cos their points went down in the appeals. I'd say technically they could do it, but given that 3 papers in the country were downgraded last year then that is a miniscule number of people whose points went down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Dont know anything about kilmurry other than its near the running track. Plassey can have a lot of people in the one house but its good that way in first year. Plassey is located just outside the UL flagpoles and near a spar, pharmacy and Chinese and probably the nearest on campus accommodation to aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 quantumphysics

Bit of a dilemma here and don't exactly know which thread to post this in but here goes :P

My first Level 7/6 choice is Music Production in L.I.T which I really wanted all along but I got offered my second Level 7/6, Video & Sound Technology in L.I.T, which is fine but I don't think it's the right course for me

I decided to research the points and it turns out Music Production in L.I.T fell by 20 points this year from 350 to 325, I got 310 in my Leaving Cert and was wondering would it be advisable to wait for Round 2 and magically the points for Music Production would drop off to 310 or below, please help, this has been a very stressful morning for me (and all of us) :P

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I lived in Plassey in first year and am going back for my fourth year (place already paid for woop woop), anyway: Plassey has a great atmosphere for newcomers and is really really welcoming. The houses are all so close together so if you have a class at the same time as your neighbour, you're more likely to chat with them.

I don't agree with this 'it's all first years' stuff because my house had 3 3rd years, 2 4th years, 1 2nd year and 2 first years. It was a nightmare for a while but when you get to know people in other houses, it is great.
    So don't go into Plassey thinking you'll definitely be with all first years :)

Kilmurry is nice, I find that most sports people, who are part of clubs and socs go there since it is so close to the pitch. It's 5-10 mins walk to classes (like Plassey) but I prefer the houses in Plassey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 geneskinner

How do i check what points my course actually was? I got the points, just interested.

Aragneer wrote: »
    I lived in Plassey in first year and am going back for my fourth year (place already paid for woop woop), anyway: Plassey has a great atmosphere for newcomers and is really really welcoming. The houses are all so close together so if you have a class at the same time as your neighbour, you're more likely to chat with them.

I don't agree with this 'it's all first years' stuff because my house had 3 3rd years, 2 4th years, 1 2nd year and 2 first years. It was a nightmare for a while but when you get to know people in other houses, it is great.
    So don't go into Plassey thinking you'll definitely be with all first years :)

Kilmurry is nice, I find that most sports people, who are part of clubs and socs go there since it is so close to the pitch. It's 5-10 mins walk to classes (like Plassey) but I prefer the houses in Plassey.

Of course they can put first years in with students from other years but there was always a tendency not to put a first year in on their own without at least 1 other first year in the house, so they don't get isolated.

Plenty of first years opt to be in houses with people from other years or move in with people they know that are already in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 geneskinner

Nevermind, found it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 Avidlerna

The CAO points system is a shambles. No test of personality or suitability to the course, just a test of how ****ing well you can rote learn 7 courses and spit out all the information on one day, then forget most of it by August. I honestly think this system needs to be reformed. Ireland, once again, you've given me another reason to want to emigrate. Well done.

How do i check what points my course actually was? I got the points, just interested.

Careersportal.ie has a search engine for all 2014 points, really helpful because it shows what went up/down and how much by :P

Bit of a dilemma here and don't exactly know which thread to post this in but here goes :P

My first Level 7/6 choice is Music Production in L.I.T which I really wanted all along but I got offered my second Level 7/6, Video & Sound Technology in L.I.T, which is fine but I don't think it's the right course for me

I decided to research the points and it turns out Music Production in L.I.T fell by 20 points this year from 350 to 325, I got 310 in my Leaving Cert and was wondering would it be advisable to wait for Round 2 and magically the points for Music Production would drop off to 310 or below, please help, this has been a very stressful morning for me (and all of us) :P

Thank you

OK, ask yourself this question first: if the points don't drop for Music Production in LIT, would you be happy with V&ST?

If not, there might not be much point taking it. If you would be happy with it, accept it and you might get the music course in round 2.

Even if you reject the video course you could still be offered the music one in round 2. But if you are not then you have no course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Of course they can put first years in with students from other years but there was always a tendency not to put a first year in on their own without at least 1 other first year in the house, so they don't get isolated.

Plenty of first years opt to be in houses with people from other years or move in with people they know that are already in UL.

I didn't mean by my post that 1st years WON'T have another first year with them, gosh no! Because that is not the case at all and I wouldn't try worrying anyone!

I just found when I was going in and in my second year that a lot of first years (or ones that I spoke to) were quite disappointed to find that their house wasn't FULL of first years.

I know one house in Plassey this year is going to have a grumpy Fourth year (me).

Haha, I was just trying to let people know that there will be a mix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

miissjuly wrote: »
    Hope you all get what you want! Missed out on medicine but got offered Psychology, the change should be fun.

If med is what you really want don't give up on it. It took me 4 years of repeating lc & hpat and i got in. If you want it bad enough keep at it

OK, ask yourself this question first: if the points don't drop for Music Production in LIT, would you be happy with V&ST?

If not, there might not be much point taking it. If you would be happy with it, accept it and you might get the music course in round 2.

Even if you reject the video course you could still be offered the music one in round 2. But if you are not then you have no course.

Wait, so you can accept the offers you recieved today and still partake in Round 2? You wouldn't believe how much this CAO system confuses me, I didn't even know this

I would be happy with V&ST, but the primary thing I'm extremely interested in is Music Production and it's a lot more appealing to me than Video Editing, that being said V&ST is not a course i'd hate doing, but yes Music is Number 1

I'll take your advice and accept V&ST today and wait for Round 2, thanks for your help

Wait, so you can accept the offers you recieved today and still partake in Round 2? You wouldn't believe how much this CAO system confuses me, I didn't even know this

I would be happy with V&ST, but the primary thing I'm extremely interested in is Music Production and it's a lot more appealing to me than Video Editing, that being said V&ST is not a course i'd hate doing, but yes Music is Number 1

I'll take your advice and accept V&ST today and wait for Round 2, thanks for your help

Yes. You can be offered any course that you haven't already been offered that is higher on your list of preferences, regardless of whether you accept or reject you first offer.

If a miracle happens and you are offered Music in Round 2 and you accept it then it cancels your place on the Video course automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Anyone who accepted Trinity Pharmacy, check in on the thread! www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056364984

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

Guys do you think there is even a slight chance of science dropping to 505 in ucd or tcd ? Gutted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Does anyone know if the points for BIS in UCC went up? I heard it was a very popular choice this year!

It stayed the same. 435

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

DOES HEAR APPLY TOTHE SECOND ROUND OFFERS, sorry I just want my first choice more than my second. Thank you :) NUIGFTW

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Hi all. Can someone tell me what this means please - my son has been offered a place in NCI Level 7/6 doing computers. On the letter he received with the offer notice it has the code of the course NC102 and right underneath it has "your score" 9792. what does this mean?Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

DOES HEAR APPLY TOTHE SECOND ROUND OFFERS, sorry I just want my first choice more than my second. Thank you :) NUIGFTW

If someone else who got accepted through hear drops out then your in with a chance. Good luck! =]

Advertisement