Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food

• 17-08-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody could recommend a good dog food?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I think it would be easiest to recommend you a good dog food if you give us your budget, how much you'd ideally like to spend on a 15kg bag of dry food for example.

My boys are on Lukullus (I get it from Zooplus online) wet food and they're doing really well on it, I would love to try and get them on the dry if possible but I don't think they'd be so happy about the idea lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I've my pup on Real Nature Junior right now and she's going mad to eat the feral cat's Go Cat. :-/

Has anyone experience of feeding Lily's Kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Padc wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody could recommend a good dog food?

I'm feeding a Golden Retriever GAIN Big Dog Adult. I buy 15kg bag for about 37euro. He likes it, and I thought it was good for him. Recently though someone told me that his coat has become dry and I should change his food.
    You probably need to try a few foods and see what your dog likes and what suits your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Padc

I don't really have a budget in mind to be honest. Just want a good food for them. I wont feed them wet food. Dry food is all they have had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Not all wet foods are crap - you can get some good quality ones e.g. Rocco/Lukullus from zooplus or NatureDiet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I've my pup on Real Nature Junior right now and she's going mad to eat the feral cat's Go Cat. :-/

Has anyone experience of feeding Lily's Kitchen?
    Well as you feed Junior I'll assume a pup so:
    Taste of the wild puppy
    Acana Junior & Puppy
    Lily's Kitchen
    Nutrivet Growth
    Orijen Puppy food

Can't really go wrong with any of those as a choice but ultimately it's up to what your puppy will like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Nody wrote: »
    Well as you feed Junior I'll assume a pup so:

Can't really go wrong with any of those as a choice but ultimately it's up to what your puppy will like :)

Thanks, Nody. She's 15 weeks and a smasher but seems a bit itchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I have heard Red Mills is a good dog food.

PS* I prefer to use dry dog food as I find the poo the dog does when eating dry dog food is easier to manage that the poo produced from wet dog food, which can be a bit messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Would recommend you look at raw feeding if you're so inclined. Cost isn't as high as I thought and can see an improvement in both of my dogs condition and behaviour.

Either way, if you decide to go for dry I think it's nice to give them occasional additions like eggs or meat to mix it up a bit. I may be anthropomorphising but I'd hate to eat the same stuff day in and day out :)

• Advertisement

Eukanuba Chicken - one of the best dry kibble ones! Always soak it in water an hour or two beforehand to prevent bloat (particularly deep chested dogs like Akitas). Many Kibble types are just cereal so you need to watch that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Eukanuba Chicken - one of the best dry kibble ones!
    Err no.
    Always soak it in water an hour or two beforehand to prevent bloat (particularly deep chested dogs like Akitas). Many Kibble types are just cereal so you need to watch that
    About that...
    Dried chicken & turkey (23%, a natural source of glucosamine & chondroitin sulphate), maize, wheat, sorghum, barley, animal fat, dried beet pulp (2.8%), hydrolysed animal proteins, dried whole egg, potassium chloride, fish oil, calcium carbonate, sodium chloride, sodium hexametaphosphate, fructooligosaccharides (0.28%), linseed.
    Since animal fat is usually around 5 to 10% want to take a guess what makes up about 60%+ of the feed?

Your ingredients are different to mine, see below. What's a better kibble you can buy?

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Oat Flour, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Flax Meal, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract

Source: http://www.eukanuba.com/dog-food/excel/chicken-adult-dog-food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

My golden retriever is on James Well beloved
    http://m.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/james_wellbeloved and is doing really well on it , I also had him on orijen which was great but too expensive .

Your ingredients are different to mine, see below. What's a better kibble you can buy?
    The feed I qouted is what's on Zooplus Irish shop; your version is not on there so I had to go with the closest match on name. As for other kibble; see below for several grain free options.

Orijen
    Fresh chicken (boneless) (22%), dried chicken meat (15%), fresh chicken liver (4%), fresh whole herring (4%), fresh turkey meat (boneless) (4%), dehydrated turkey meat (4%) fresh turkey liver (3%), fresh whole eggs (3%), fresh boneless free Zander (3%), fresh whole salmon (3%), fresh poultry hearts (3%), chicken cartilage (3%), dried herring (3%), dried salmon (3%), poultry liver oil (3%), red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-ripened alfalfa, yam, pea fibre, chick peas, pumpkin, butternut squash, spinach leaves, carrots, red delicious apples, Bartlett pears, cranberries, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fennel, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary.
    Acana
    Dehydrated chicken meat (40%), rolled oats, fresh chicken (no bones), peas, brown rice, chicken fat, fresh king salmon (boned), chicken liver, fresh whole eggs, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, pumpkin, chicken cartilage, apples, carrots, turnip green, cranberries, rock pears, organic seaweed (kelp, bladderwrack, dulse), burdock root, marshmallow root, juniper berries, fenugreek, fennel seed, angelica root, chicory root, stinging nettle, raspberry leaf, thistle milk, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, vitamins and minerals.
    Nutrivet
    Wild boar (min. 13%), beef (min. 11%), lamb (min. 11%), mutton (min. 10%), potatoes, peas, oils & fats (chicken) (min. 9%), beef liver (min. 5%), powdered eggs (min. 4%), dehydrated wild boar (min. 4%), dehydrated lamb (min. 4%), salmon (min. 3%), dehydrated chicken (min. 3%), dehydrated pea protein, salmon oil (min. 4%), beetroot pulp, green beans, lentils, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, apples, alfalfa, spinach, chicory root, yeast, fennel leaves, lingon berries, pomegranate pulp, blackcurrant jelly, vitamins & minerals, dehydrated plasma protein, hydrolysed poultry livers, grape seeds, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS), taurine, fucus vesiculosus extract (bladderwrack), ascophyllum nodosum extract (rockweed), yucca schidigera extract, chondroitin sulphate, N-acetyl-glucosamine sulphate, methyl-sulfonyl-methane, mint leaf, L-carnitine tartrate, rosemary extract, green tea extract
    Lily's Kitchen
    Over 40% real meat: Fresh chicken (31%) and fresh duck meat (7%), sweet potatoes, peas, lentils, pea protein, flaxseeds, chicken liver (4%), eggs, chicken gravy, calcium carbonate, salmon oil, apples, carrots, spinach, cranberries, alfalfa, rosehip, chickweed, cleavers, golden rod, nettles, kelp, celery root, milk thistle, dandelion root, burdock root, marigold petals, chicory root, vitamins and minerals.
    Taste of the Wild
    Bison, dried lamb meat, dried chicken meat, eggs, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted game, natural flavourings, tomato puree, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, quality vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, E),minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate) potassium iodide, manganous oxide, biotin, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, folic acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I don't mean to hijact this thread, but do any of the stores give out samples?
    My guy is very fussy and I don't want to pay out if he won't eat it. He was on Vets Kitchen but wasn't mad about it. Now he's on mainly raw, which he loves. I'm thinking of feeding him a good quality kibble (if I can find one he actually likes!) with raw a couple of days in the week for a change.

Advertisement