Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slugs

Options
  • 17-08-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

walking down by the river the other day i noticed a load of slugs on the ground, has anyone every used these for bait, and if so where they any use?? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I read that roach love them but I've never seen anyone actually use them. next to a couple of maggots or a piece of corn they seem like a very large bait

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Certainly wouldn't try them in salt water :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have never seen them used but was told they are good for trout early morning in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Friend of mine said he was up in loughshinny and ran out of bait and seen a slug nearby so gave it a go and landed a wrasse out of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Friend of mine said he was up in loughshinny and ran out of bait and seen a slug nearby so gave it a go and landed a wrasse out of it!!
    I can't see how he used it in salt water. But if he said so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I've an old (circa 1960s) general fishing book that has them as a very good bait for most coarse fish

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've seen it used to catch chub and perch before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I can't see how he used it in salt water. But if he said so...

The osmotic pressure of sea water wouldn't be anywhere near as high as sprinkling pure salt on a slug. A slugs body at osmotic equilibrium with sea water would be shrivelled up all right but would hold together enough to use as a wrasse bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

I've seen it listed in books as well. Maggots and worms I can handle but not slugs. Yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've used them to great effect in England, Chub LOVE them, also had some decent Perch on them, but not so much for Roach as I think they'd be a bit of a mouthful.

Tried them here over the years on the Blackwater in Fermoy (in the days when us Course guys were allowed to fish there !) but not to great effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Also, I've seen an artificial bait called sluggo by Berkley, looking at them they are like a slug with what I imagine their slime trail looks like underwater streaming from behind them!!
    if they are sold artificial commercially I imagine the real thing is just as good if not better!!

Advertisement