Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is good phone/Ipad etiquette?

• 17-08-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Everyone is on their phones and iPad's these days. To me it seems it's all the time!

When is it not ok to be on your phone? I think people who are in company shouldn't constantly be on it. If someone is chatting to you, it's down right rude. If you meet someone for coffee and they are on it the whole time.

I find people to be not present in the situation and they bore me.

I have to say, it does my head in!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Texting at the dinner table, big no no

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

When I'm talking to someone, unless I need to use it for something, it stays in my pocket. A former friend of mine used to constantly be texting someone on his phone, every 30 seconds or so the conversation has to pause so he can text back. If he had his laptop with him he'd pretty much just use his laptop constantly. Sometimes he'd even refuse to talk to you in person and text you, despite the fact you're a foot away from him. I don't mind if someone can text discreetly and talk while texting, but when the phone starts affecting the conversation at hand, that's when it's no longer alright to be using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

It's never ok to bring your iPad around in public to take pictures....especially holding it up at a gig like a flipping idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's pretty straight-forward, really. If you're in any kind of social situation, a meal out, a night out with friends etc., it's just fúcking rude to have your phone out at all.

It's something that really bugs me, trying to have a conversation and there's a dickhead checking facebook or texting away, looking up every two minutes going 'yeah'. If I feel my phone vibrate, I'll quickly glance at it to check it's nothing important, and then if I need to, reply to it while I'm out for a smoke or in the toilets.

Anyone who takes an iPad out in public is a wanker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

brummytom wrote: »

Anyone who takes an iPad out in public is a wanker.

+1 ,of the highest order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I think in choosing to actually spend time with other people that device usage should be pretty much non existent.
    Exceptions can be made for making a once off response to whoever is calling or messaging.
    I've known people to just zone out completely and go into one word answers.

It's completely disrespectful.

Also, I think all cinemas should be required to install signal scrambling devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Two of my friends most annoying. When we out the minute the night has started pics and "check in" on Facebook. Why???
    Drives me mad, have politely requested to not be tagged.
    Phone out all night then checking for updates and chatting on Fb.
    I think people just find it hard to be present/in the moment or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

I find people to be very boring when they are stuck in their phones, makes me want to not spend any time with them. They are totally not present. It's more or less saying, I prefer the company of the phone. Goes on a lot though, maybe we don't say put the f**king thing away enough!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Well I'm writing this on my phone, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Its a bit off putting when they are on facebook updating their profile during the riding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Its a bit off putting when they are on facebook updating their profile during the riding.

Not if they're giving good reviews! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also, I think all cinemas should be required to install signal scrambling devices.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/movie_theater_layout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭berrygood

When I'm talking to someone, unless I need to use it for something, it stays in my pocket. A former friend of mine used to constantly be texting someone on his phone, every 30 seconds or so the conversation has to pause so he can text back. If he had his laptop with him he'd pretty much just use his laptop constantly. Sometimes he'd even refuse to talk to you in person and text you, despite the fact you're a foot away from him. I don't mind if someone can text discreetly and talk while texting, but when the phone starts affecting the conversation at hand, that's when it's no longer alright to be using it.

It's quite insulting! It's like, hi, can you engage with the human who is standing in front of you!! Be in the moment!

I've a friend who is (well used to be) a terror for this. Fair enough if you've kids and need to check in. Otherwise, put it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What if someone got an emergency call during a movie? I hate when people text throughout a film as much as the next person but real life can interrupt things. It wouldnt bother me all that much if someone ha a quick look at a phone but constantly at it during a film is a pain in the ass.
    That's why I much prefer going during the day, its always quieter so the chances of people being dicks is lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I put my phone on vibrate in the cinema. The only people that would call me would call me if it was an emergency, anything else and its a text so I can wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

I dont mind someone replying to the odd text or taking a call once its not too long a call but checking fb every 10 minutes when you are out with someone is downright insulting to the person you are with and I wouldnt be in a hurry to go out with them again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Good phone etiquette? Avoid touching your phone in and social situation unless you receive a call from a loved one or family. Texts can be ignored. And for god's get a proper phone, not an Apple doorstop.

Advertisement