Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI Final 07/09/14. Tipp v Kilkenny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

That post is patronising and plain wrong - firstly the LGFA book and pay for Croke Park for the fourth Sunday in September and all members of the LGFA have to pay a levy through their clubs to pay for the hiring of Croke Park for the day.

The post is patronising to the ladies footballers of Cork and Dublin, New York, Wexford, Fermanagh and Down, actually all ladies inter county footballers - they train as hard as the men do for their Sunday in Croke Park, just because the hurling ends in a replay you want to chuck them out?

Now explain how you would like the paid officials from Croke Park, plus the 20 volunteers they have on the day to be in two places at once given that the All Ireland ladies football sevens are on the Saturday - have always been given that there are teams coming from Europe and the UK to play there? That cannot be changed to a Sunday with the logistics of flights etc for those teams.

Anyway, after the last time the ladies finals were taken from Croke Park to faciliate a replay the association were given assurances it would never happen again.

I think you need to look up the meaning of the word patronising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That post is patronising and plain wrong - firstly the LGFA book and pay for Croke Park for the fourth Sunday in September and all members of the LGFA have to pay a levy through their clubs to pay for the hiring of Croke Park for the day.

The post is patronising to the ladies footballers of Cork and Dublin, New York, Wexford, Fermanagh and Down, actually all ladies inter county footballers - they train as hard as the men do for their Sunday in Croke Park, just because the hurling ends in a replay you want to chuck them out?

Now explain how you would like the paid officials from Croke Park, plus the 20 volunteers they have on the day to be in two places at once given that the All Ireland ladies football sevens are on the Saturday - have always been given that there are teams coming from Europe and the UK to play there? That cannot be changed to a Sunday with the logistics of flights etc for those teams.

Anyway, after the last time the ladies finals were taken from Croke Park to faciliate a replay the association were given assurances it would never happen again.

No they bloody don't!!!:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its nothing about positive discrimination and since it does not get the same expose as the men from RTE (in fact any women sport) one sunday as there own is okay for me. Also just because it is not important to you does not mean it is to others

TG4 on the other hand provide full coverage from 12 noon until 5 or 6 in the evening

Its nothing about positive discrimination and since it does not get the same expose as the men from RTE (in fact any women sport) one sunday as there own is okay for me. Also just because it is not important to you does not mean it is to others

I don't determine which is the most important event. Are you suggesting the LGFA final is a more important event than the AI Hurling Final?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

padd b1975 wrote: »

REALLY HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Why don't they book a Saturday ?

Cos the 7s tournament is the Saturday

TG4 on the other hand provide full coverage from 12 noon until 5 or 6 in the evening

True they do and its a big thanks to TG4 they do but like the minors they would get a bigger show if on RTE

Have you been involved in an intercounty ladies team and an intercounty mens team to make that statement? I've been on the board with a senior team, selector with a senior B team and know quite a few girls who are intercounty stars. They give the same time commitment as the men to the sport

That Cork team are going for their NINTH All Ireland in 10 years, playing their seventh different side - if they were men they would be lauded for being a historic team, and don't get half enough credit. Kilkenny are rightly held up as a historic side for their success in the last 10 years, and would be front and back page news tomorrow if they won today

Have you been involved in an intercounty ladies team and an intercounty mens team to make that statement? I've been on the board with a senior team, selector with a senior B team and know quite a few girls who are intercounty stars. They give the same time commitment as the men to the sport

That Cork team are going for their NINTH All Ireland in 10 years, playing their seventh different side - if they were men they would be lauded for being a historic team, and don't get half enough credit. Kilkenny are rightly held up as a historic side for their success in the last 10 years, and would be front and back page news tomorrow if they won today

It's not because they are women that aren't lauded for their achievements it's because in relative terms very few people are interested.

Before you attack me for saying it, that is just a reality.

I have no doubt they are great sports people but it's a stretch to call them equals of their male counterparts in effort and ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Is this thread not about the Tipp v Kilkenny match?

I thought it was an astonishingly good game of hurling. Deserved a draw in lots of ways with bad decision making in the face of the goal being the clincher for both teams. Thought the ref had a shocking performance but that's life.

Up the cats!

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    It's not because they are women that aren't lauded for their achievements it's because in relative terms very few people are interested.

Before you attack me for saying it, that is just a reality.

I have no doubt they are great sports people but it's a stretch to call them equals of their male counterparts in effort and ability.

Its not in terms of those two - it is a stretch to claim the profile of them is the same, which I'm not doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I went to the local to watch this, some lads at the bar told me it was 15/1 before first throw in for the draw. I told them to take it, at half time it was 12/1 and when kk got the quick goal in second half went to 8/1. I told them to take it again, towards end went to 10/1 and guess what I told them to do....

They didn't :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The gaa need to cop on. This should be on Sunday. You can't hold an 'up for the match' on a Friday night. That's just wrong.

"You can't hold an 'up for the match' on a Friday night."

The best reason I've heard to justify holding the game on a Saturday

enda1 wrote: »
    Is this thread not about the Tipp v Kilkenny match?

I thought it was an astonishingly good game of hurling. Deserved a draw in lots of ways with bad decision making in the face of the goal being the clincher for both teams. Thought the ref had a shocking performance but that's life.

Up the cats!

I thought he did well in places and was poor in others - bottled not sending off Stapleton I think for interfering with the helmet, should have been a straight red. Second penalty was outside the 13 as well - so that was another bad call.

I think the potential sending off would have been game to the Cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

GAAman wrote: »
    I went to the local to watch this, some lads at the bar told me it was 15/1 before first throw in for the draw. I told them to take it, at half time it was 12/1 and when kk got the quick goal in second half went to 8/1. I told them to take it again, towards end went to 10/1 and guess what I told them to do....

The draw was 15/2 at half time with Paddy Power.

Was some game of hurling today.

Ah I see you've changed your argument to ' commitment '.
    Thought I heard the creak of goalposts shifting...

The actual work an inter county male player has to put in before he even sees afootball or a sliotar in preparation for a championship season would stagger us all-even the Cork women's team.

The achievements of the Cork women only illustrate just how uncompetitive that competition actually is, most people actually know this and it's probably why actual praise outside of the sport itself is somewhat lacking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ah I see you've changed your argument to ' commitment '.
    Thought I heard the creak of goalposts shifting...

The actual work an inter county male player has to put in before he even sees afootball or a sliotar in preparation for a championship season would stagger us all-even the Cork women's team.

The achievements of the Cork women only illustrate just how uncompetitive that competition actually is, most people actually know this and it's probably why actual praise outside of the sport itself is somewhat lacking.

You think it is uncompetitive??? You obviously haven't watched ladies football in the last10 years. So many of Corks wins have been edge of the seat stuff, cracking games!

I really think you should go back to your island on your own and have a chat with yourself for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hawkeye was clearly a better judge of play than the referee today.

Oh well, both teams still in it, and no Barry Kelly next day to seek the limelight.

Excellent play by both teams, hopefully Kilkenny win the next day, which in fairness they have been superb in replays.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You think it is uncompetitive??? You obviously haven't watched ladies football in the last10 years. So many of Corks wins have been edge of the seat stuff, cracking games!

I really think you should go back to your island on your own and have a chat with yourself for a while.
    I'm not talking about individual games, more the competition as a whole.

Don't get me started on the skill levels, distance shooting in particular....

Back on topic, AI Hurling Finals should be played on Sunday in natural light and any agreements with outside associations should have a clause to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

What a game, lads. What a game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Jesus this thread has been ridiculously derailed! Surely a mod should be getting it back on track and not getting dragged into it?!

Some game today! I still can't gather my thoughts properly. Thank God for hawkeye.

Roll on the 27th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Who gave those odds. I backed it with PP this morning and got 10/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

While I wouldn't claim the ref was great, he did play his part in letting the game flow.

Whether the two Tipp penalties were inside or outside the square is a very tough call, at speed, and at least he tried to use his umpires.
    (Ironically if they had been given as frees, Tipp may have taken their points and win the game!)

Stapleton's helmet pull should have been a red but doubt many caught that in real time.
    Similar to JJ Delaney in the semi final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So who do lads think should get MOTM ?

I'd go for Richie hogan myself, with O'Dwyer, McGrath and Power not far off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Possibly the greatest game of hurling ever played and people are arguing about ladies football. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

There is no way an All Ireland senior hurling final replay should not be played in Croke Park at 3.30 on a Sunday. Moving it to a Saturday evening at 5pm is demeaning to the game. I don't care who was to play there on the Sunday that game should not have been fixed for that date as it should have been left open incase of a replay. It is a monumental cock up by those in charge on a par or even worse than sending Mayo and Kerry to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If I could marry a game of hurling I'd cheat on it with this match. Tipp won over a pub of bitter Galwegians who exploded before we had to go hawkeye at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

You must let me know what bookie your buddies bet with, because there's practically no bookie would be offering 15/1 the draw before today's match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Brian017 wrote: »
    Great to see sexism is alive and well

where is the sexism in saying that a crowd of 82,000 people and perhaps 1million on tv, should take precedence over a fraction of that?

sunday is the traditional GAA day and replays should take place on sundays, especially for finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I was fortunate enough to be offered a ticket Friday by my Tipperary mother.

Absolutely blessed to be there. That game was an absolute joy from the first whistle to the last. The quality of scores was simply staggering. Not a single dirty stroke all game either.

Credit to both teams. Breathtaking stuff.

God I love hurling. All our lives are better for it. Greatest sport on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Great game, pity there is no extra time in GAA, crazy state of affairs.
    Ah well, I suppose a draw means a big financial windfall for the GAA, but spare a thought for the families that can barely afford one big trip to Croker, never mind two.

where is the sexism in saying that a crowd of 82,000 people and perhaps 1million on tv, should take precedence over a fraction of that?

sunday is the traditional GAA day and replays should take place on sundays, especially for finals.

Yes Sunday is GAA day you better sit down as I am about to say something ground breaking to you what the ladies will be playing will be GAA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hurling for me is and will always be the best sport on this planet. Anyone who begs to differ I will kindly tell them to go watch the last 3 All Ireland finals and show me another sport that comes near.

slegs wrote: »
    I don't determine which is the most important event. Are you suggesting the LGFA final is a more important event than the AI Hurling Final?

No not at all and that is why it should not be moved.

Hurling for me is and will always be the best sport on this planet. Anyone who begs to differ I will kindly tell them to go watch the last 3 All Ireland finals and show me another sport that comes near.

Cannot disagree with you on that point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

As a Cork man, we had the replay last year on a Saturday evening. To be honest while watching we were so engrossed in the match, it could have been Christmas day for all we knew. The day it's on will quickly become irrelevant once throw in comes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

This was even greater than '09, unreal quality of score-taking.

No not at all and that is why it should not be moved.

Yes I agree. if you look at my original post I said it shouldn't be moved.

What I said was that the LGFA final should never have been scheduled for a Sunday in September in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Just out of interest, does anyone know what happens to the respective hotel functions that the winning team and losing team are due to attend tonight?
    I mean, presumably huge amounts of food have been ordered in, extra catering and service staff have been employed and hotel rooms have been booked. So, what exactly happens now?

Just out of interest, does anyone know what happens to the respective hotel functions that the winning team and losing team are due to attend tonight?
    I mean, presumably huge amounts of food have been ordered in, extra catering and service staff have been employed and hotel rooms have been booked. So, what exactly happens now?

Presume they still have them, but on a smaller scale - teams have to be fed. Just no alcohol for the players probably, whereas they'd probably have a few if there wasn't a replay

Any idea which hotels they were staying in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

From what I've been told Kilkenny went for the meal and then went home in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭zetecescort

SeaFields wrote: »
    As a Cork man, we had the replay last year on a Saturday evening. To be honest while watching we were so engrossed in the match, it could have been Christmas day for all we knew. The day it's on will quickly become irrelevant once throw in comes.

was there last year and thought the craic afterwards was brilliant, people making a weekend of it in Dublin, a lot more stayed up than would normally do on a sunday night. 5pm is a nice time in the evening too, relax with a few handy drinks beforehand, no rushing from the train to Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Presume they still have them, but on a smaller scale - teams have to be fed. Just no alcohol for the players probably, whereas they'd probably have a few if there wasn't a replay

Any idea which hotels they were staying in?

KK Citywest Minors will celebrate no doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Some of the ****e that's spewed post-draw...

Spare a thought for the families? There should be extra time?

After the last 5 years of AIFs I thought I'd seen it all but mother of god even I thought last year was the end of "all I could see"...

What a gane .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What a game! We looked dead and buried at times. Looked to be cruising at others. Ditto Tipp. Draw probably a fair result. It would have been unfair for either to lose. Have to say thought Tipp were slightly better than us. But for Murphy, Liam'd be heading for Thurles. Also scoring two more goals than Tipp was obviously vital. Bar Ryan, all Tipp's forwards played well. Thought Tipp just broke even in MF also. Bar Barry and B Maher their backs were solid also.
    Thought KK played well given how good Tipp's forwards were. Murphy was shaky first half but came into it in the second. Though his man scored a few from play thought JJ was solid enough. Jackie was only ok. Caught for pace on a couple of occasions. Thought Buckley was outstanding and a contender for motm. Holden and Hogan were too loose at times.
    Richie got some great score. Fogarty was solid without being spectacular.
    Thought both Fennelly's played well below their ability. Some of Colin's passes were woeful, particularly the pass to Mick when he should gone for goal himself. Mick didn't look fit to me at all. TJ was brilliant. Great goal, great fielding, couldn't be held. Wally should have been hauled long before he actually was. Poor. Larks was below par. Power scored 2-1 and could have scored more. Hit some good balls into space.
    Couldn't understand why they left Henry off so long. Coming on 5 mins to go, he was never going to get in the game. They could have done with his leadership and organisation from much earlier.

As for the ref. At least we won't have to suffer him for the replay. Some baffling decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Went to the game today as a Clare man thinking I'd seen the one of the most heartstopping finals last year.. and then I witnessed today. Just want to say what a privilege it was to share the excitement with both fans. The best game I have ever seen.

I don't think any team really deserved to lose today. I was delighted to see the likes of Seamus Callanan, Paidi Maher and Noel McGrath reminding people just how brilliant, skillful players they are at their best. Kilkenny showed all the experience and class they have built up over the years in being clinical in front of goal, in which I felt was the reason we are going to a replay, Tipp weren't clinical with they're goal chances.

I don't think anybody has the upper hand the next day. KK will feel there is more in them with the likes of the Fennelly brothers and Wally (or sub), while Tipp will feel if they take they're goal chances, they will win. Cahill will most likely start the next day on Hogan too. I think the replay will be another belter. Looking forward to it!

PS.

Would just like to echo SeaFields words. I know both fans are getting caught up with the whole Saturday @ 5pm replay timing, but as a Clare man last year, I think the match under lights added more to atmosphere. OK I know people will point to the fact we won, so it was always going to be a special occasion, but it's really a non issue, expect for the few who a work commitments. 27th will be just a special an occasion, trust me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't know why some people are complaining about the replay being on a Saturday evening. I think it will make for an incredible occasion.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't know why some people are complaining about the replay being on a Saturday evening. I think it will make for an incredible occasion.

Was some atmosphere last year alright

Who was fourth official today - if it goes the same way as last year, its a direct swap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

KK making more of their goal chances kept them in the game. They were second best for good periods of that game. See no reason why Tipp shouldn't beat them in the replay.

letowski wrote: »
    PS.

Would just like to echo SeaFields words. I know both fans are getting caught up with the whole Saturday @ 5pm replay timing, but as a Clare man last year, I think the match under lights added more to atmosphere. OK I know people will point to the fact we won, so it was always going to be a special occasion, but it's really a none issue, expect for the few who a work commitments. 27th will be just a special an occasion, trust me. :)

Being in Croke Park under lights is just unbelievable - I stayed around after the celebrations, went out and had to come back in to do some work, but its a magical place when most of the people are out and the lights are on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement