Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI Final 07/09/14. Tipp v Kilkenny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

jjll wrote: »
    All finals should be finished on day imagine soccer world cup going to a replay big anti climax a draw and theres only one winner gaa coffers

I suppose they are amateur players and it may be unfair to as them to go play another 25 minutes! I'd say both teams will be happy with a replay

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Am I the only one who like the fact that there will be a replay rather than having extra time?

Also I love the fact that it will be on a Saturday later afternoon.

The conspiracy theory being started by kk fans about Barry Kelly reffing some of kk games and they not winning all the time is embarrassing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

The conspiracy theory being started by kk fans about Barry Kelly reffing some of kk games and they not winning all the time is embarrassing.

You seem to be doing your best to keep the discussion rolling over anyway, how many posts have you about Eddie Brennan and KK peoples opinion of Barry Kelly under your belt now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Barry kelly had a great game, the attempted hatchet job on him last night was scandalous. He had no impact on the result it could have gone either way. The analysis if ref's is going way OTT even when they are good people cant accept it and have to go rooting through their performance to find marginal decisions. Its sad stuff eventually there'll be no refs because of this sort of thing and who could blame them. We'll be stuck watching some crap alternative sports that couldnt get within an asses roar of the spectacle that was yesterdays match.

Barry kelly had a great game, the attempted hatchet job on him last night was scandalous. He had no impact on the result it could have gone either way. The analysis if ref's is going way OTT even when they are good people cant accept it and have to go rooting through their performance to find marginal decisions. Its sad stuff eventually there'll be no refs because of this sort of thing and who could blame them. We'll be stuck watching some crap alternative sports that couldnt get within an asses roar of the spectacle that was yesterdays match.

To say he had a great game is disillusion. I think he had a poor game.
    But I don't blame him for the outcome or am I trying to hound him at all.
    People can comment on the fact that he made many mistakes but there are few who blame him for the result.

You seem to be doing your best to keep the discussion rolling over anyway, how many posts have you about Eddie Brennan and KK peoples opinion of Barry Kelly under your belt now?

Possibly 3, but there's people on here with 10 + posts criticising the referee again I suppose you'll turn a blind eye towards that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

enda1 wrote: »
    People can comment on the fact that he made many mistakes but there are few who blame him for the result.

If you listed his mistakes nobody would agree on all of them, nobody. Its a matter of opinion a lot of the time take the final free i think he called it right but plenty of people think he got it wrong. The amount of "mistakes" he made yesterday would be minimal, people need to accept that and just a ref on his overall performance. None of the people complaining about kelly would have done a better job of reffing that game yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

If you watch the Eoin Larkin one, he jumped off the ground before the "tackle". I think this is why he was penalised and I can see Barry Kelly's point.

The one for the last free with Brian Hogan I dont see though, it was either a free to Kilkenny or no free at all. There was no way it could have been a Tipp free. There wasnt a barge in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Thought most calls in the game were marginal, no gripe with penalty/2, faceguard pull decisions but the rugby tackle on Larkin and free at the end were an absolute disgrace.

Problem is he is a good ref who made some poor calls a few years ago against Kilkenny and we have complained about him since with Eddie Keher and Eddie O Connor having a go at him in the media. It has left a bitter taste in Kellys mouth meaning the 50 50s always go against kilkenny when Kelly is referee. Now there are some poor refs like owens that we dont like but that is due to the fact that he is a poor ref as opposed to a bias against Kilkenny

As a neutral, the fact that you think the free at the end wasn't a free really lets down the rest of your argument.

I was at the game and that was definitely a free, not that it's always called as a free, but the rulebook is fairly clear on it.

The rest of your complaints are fair enough but didn't cost ye the game either, or cause the draw..

I'm a Kilkenny fan and even I thought the free at the end was the correct call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The fact that Barry Kelly is one of the main talking points after the game is good enough indication of how poor he was:
    • The foul on Larkin in the first half,
    • The penalty to Tipp in the first half when the foul initially happened outside
    • The penalty to Tipp in the second half when the foul initially occurred outside
    • The foul on the Tipp man in the lead up to one of the Kilkenny goals
    • The blatant face guard pull and the ridiculous free at the end

Imagine if one of the greatest All-Ireland's in living memory had been decided on that crazy free at the end. I don't think he is biased in favour or against any county. He is just an incredibly poor ref and is nowhere near good enough to ref an inter-county game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Good post, i honestly dont think he had a great game but during key moments in the match e.g, the penalties, he wasnt helped by the sheer ineptitude of the official behind the goals. I do repect the comments made by some posters that the outcomes didnt neccessairly reflect the initial decisions, and justice i guess in these cases was right by the penaltys not converted

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fastum1

Was very surprised with Eddie Brennan on the Sunday game.

He came across as a very bitter man. If kilkenny don't win a game they always need someone to blame. Nothing was made of power kicking paddy Stapleton to the ground before the second kk goal.

I think Eddie needs to be removed from the panel for the replay. He's only embarrassing himself and I think rte would be right to drop him after his agenda setting and attack on Barry Kelly being totally out of line.

Agree entirely Eddie Brennan is totally biased. Barry Kelly doesn't allow KK get away with their usual cynical play of pulling and dragging. Ref got a few calls wrong on both sides but you get that in every game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Strangest thread after one of the greatest All Ireland hurling finals, definitely in living memory for the majority of posters here. Firstly going on about ladies football,a nd then the ridiculous talk on Kelly and conspiracies.

To address the ref, as it seems to be the main discussion right now, I thought he was fine. Not great, not bad, but fine. He didnt influence the game and tried let it flow as much as possible.

Its obviously Kilkenny fans who have an issue with him, and they had an issue with him before the game even started, so no matter what he did, he was never going to come out of it well. Talk of him being the ref for the last few games they havent won is rubbish too, they didnt win those games because of him, so is he now being derided because of that?

On the main discussion points on his calls, my own neutral position on each would be:
    First penalty. Definite penalty. He seemed to give advantage to Maher running through. Maher did not foul the ball, and was then pulled down inside the box. There is no 'advantage' rule in hurling that you can bring the free back. But I thought it was a definite penalty.
    Larkin frees - first was not a free to Larkin. The second one, if given, I wouldnt have disputed it. But on the replay, where you see the view Kelly had, Larkin jumped into the tackle and had both feet off the ground. Any contact would knock him over, and the fact he jumped up meant he made contact high. So I can see why it wasnt given.
    Second penalty. Never a penalty. Quite clearly outside the box. Tyrell made the tackle and he wasnt even inside the box even allowing for his momentum going forward, so it should have been easily seen without an umpire or replay.
    Stapleton faceguard - high ball coming in, incidental contact with helmet buy both players, but Stapleton then keeps holding. The slow mo replay makes it seem longer though, and in real time would be very hard to stop. I think the GAA need to review this rule in anycase. Fogartys shoulder early in the game where he got a yellow was a far worse free than Stapletons incidental faceguard pull.
    Last free - personally, I wouldnt have given a free. I would have let play go on, and even then, there is a good chance Hogan would have over carried. But Hogan turned his shoulder into Maher. Maher was front on, and Hogan shouldered into his chest. Technically, that is a free for charging, frontal shoulder, whatever you want. As I said, I would have just let them play on and not blown for anything, but he was technically right and as he let the game flow before that, he should have let it flow there.

As for the game, it was a fantastic encounter. The shooting from both sides was superb. Even players not playing well hit some fantastic points. TJ Reid was excellent, and Richie Power reads the game so well. He is quite similar to Bonner Maher in that the can read the bounce of the ball and hit it on the run, where Power is stronger for hitting the ball for goal, and Maher is better at getting stuck when the ball is not coming out quickly.

JJ did a great job on Callinan. Callinan got some great points, but his goal scoring threat was completely nullified. Corbett showed glimpses, but he made a mess of 3 handy chances to tap over a point when he tried pass or got dispossessed. Shefflin and Eoin Kelly were brought on the try rise players around them, but in that sort of game, psychological boosts were not needed, fast players who get on the ball were, and neither of them contributed as their slow physical game did not suit how it was going at that stage. Both great to hit a point when bottled up or in acres of space, but this game was at a pace where both would have been better bringing on pacier players to try take advantage of fatigue of the opposition.

Looking forward to the replay, and if I were a fan, I'd be delighted its on a Saturday. Can go up in plenty of time on the day and enjoy the night without having to worry about work or hangovers on Monday. Plus the ticket price will be reduced and its a bloody All Ireland final. Who cares when its on, if Wexford were in an All ireland hurling final on a Wednesday night at 10pm costing €200 per ticket, I wouldnt care, nothing puts a price on being present when your county wins an All Ireland.

• Advertisement

When someone is charging with the ball they turn shoulder first and ensure that they have a least one foot on the ground for stability to meet the oncoming shoulder, this is the exact opposite to what Hogan did. At the point of impact he was in the air, almost with his back to Maher FFS and the contact was into Mahers out stretched arm since Hogan was stepping inside the tackle and was trying to roll out of it.

How anyone with any experience of playing hurling could claim that was a charge is absolutely beyond me. Whatever about any other descision Kelly did and did not make, and while he did in fairness facilitate a great game, that descision at the end was an absolute disgrace

fastum1 wrote: »
    Agree entirely Eddie Brennan is totally biased. Barry Kelly doesn't allow KK get away with their usual cynical play of pulling and dragging. Ref got a few calls wrong on both sides but you get that in every game.

Do us all a favour, go look at the Sportsfile website for example, or even the front pages of the Irish papers such as the Times, Mirror and others and there you'll see images of Tipperary illegally pulling and dragging.

For every offence comiited by a Kilkenny player, I'll show you the same and worse commited by a non-Kilkenny player. Sick of this regurgitated ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The treatment Larkin got early on was mad, 2 clear fouls waved away and when he was clear for a point the ref pulled him back for a free. I couldn't help but laugh, I think Larkin did the same.

When someone is charging with the ball they turn shoulder first and ensure that they have a least one foot on the ground for stability to meet the oncoming shoulder, this is the exact opposite to what Hogan did. At the point of impact he was in the air, almost with his back to Maher FFS and the contact was into Mahers out stretched arm since Hogan was stepping inside the tackle and was trying to roll out of it.

How anyone with any experience of playing hurling could claim that was a charge is absolutely beyond me. Whatever about any other descision Kelly did and did not make, and while he did in fairness facilitate a great game, that descision at the end was an absolute disgrace

I dont know what you were watching, but Hogan turned his shoulder into Maher, and had both feet off the ground. That is charging. And not a disgraceful decision. As I said above, I personally would have preferred to see play go on and no free for either, but technically, it most certainly was a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

tipp fan at the match in the nally.

a couple of things.

1. thought the game was reffed adequately. People saying that both penalties weren't in the in parallelogram are probably technically right, with the aid of tv, but as the game was played at a thousand miles an hour, barry kelly made the decisions and from the stands they both looked correct. He consulted the umpire on the second one, which again is the right thing to do. for the second kk goal, paddy stapleton looked to be cleaned out, but kelly let it go. I was surprised with the free given against kk at the end, but kelly was 6 feet away, I was 156 feet away. Kelly left the game flow very well and has to be commended on that, tipp score 4/5 frees. Thats with 53% possession, so goes to show that he was letting things go.

2. outrageous energy by both teams. how they kept it up for 72 minutes was amazing.

3. both back lines can hold their heads very very high. They were briliant. I may biased but I thought Cathal barrett was Man of the match, incredible talent and anything near him, he dominated. We all questioned the age of the legs in the kilkenny backs, but they were also class. Callanan was nullified as a goal threat.

4. Finally, I would also call for extra time to be played in the final. A replay is great, but I cant make it on the 27th, so that sucks.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    I dont know what you were watching, but Hogan turned his shoulder into Maher, and had both feet off the ground. That is charging. And not a disgraceful decision. As I said above, I personally would have preferred to see play go on and no free for either, but technically, it most certainly was a free.

I completely disagree, even if at the time of impact Hogan was side ways on, the stance he took and steps he made prior to impact was not that of a man charging. He was stepping inside the challenge, Hogan is under no obligation in that position to avoid the man.

I completely disagree, even if at the time of impact Hogan was side ways on, the stance he took and steps he made prior to impact was not that of a man charging. He was stepping inside the challenge, Hogan is under no obligation in that position to avoid the man.

But that's the thing, he is. You can't just run into someone.

are you joking? Hogan is under no obligation to avoid a man standing front on? So you can legitimately run into someone because you have the ball? I thought you said you play hurling?

The steps and stance does prior to charging does not define charging. Hitting someone in their chest with your shoulder defines charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So, who will win the next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

A lot of neutrals thought that Kelly was biased yesterday, the penalty calls were very harsh, the Larkin calls were definitely biased, blatant fouls.... in fact i'd say the ref like others is wondering what he has to do to see Tipp beat KK in the all-ireland...numerous bias calls, two penalies, a free to Tipp for a KK man diving, when he still played the ball..(thats a new rule in the GAA rule book that must have went around congress), and a free given the opposite way at the end to win it, and still Tipp drew. After all the ref did for Tipp and they have to come from behind at the end to draw and gifted a free to win it...

Of course while running at a man if you aim for contact, it is charging. No doubt. If you make an attempt to avoid that contact and in the end there is still contact due to repositioning of the defender etc. then it shouldn't be deemed to be charging. I know I stated 'Hogan is under no obligation in that position to avoid the man' but I meant in the context that if has already tried to do something to avoid the contact and it still results, then it should not be the sole fault of the attacker.

So in my opinion in the end it boils down to whether or not you think Hogan wanted the contact or wanted to get by Maher by stepping inside the challenge. I think the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

Well Kelly was giving frees all day for Tipp backs putting there head down and barging out.... does the rule only apply to one team???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Don't forget the TJ Reid goal should never have been allowed due to a blatant trip.

So, who will win the next day?

I'd say Kilkenny.
    But then I would.

I think they'll come out with more belief than Tipp. Henry probably won't get a run in and they can instead bring on tactical substitutions to shore up tired weaknesses.

A 4 point margin in normal time I call.

2 15 to 1 14

mercury16 wrote: »
    Well Kelly was giving frees all day for Tipp backs putting there head down and barging out.... does the rule only apply to one team???

Where did I ever suggest that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Of course while running at a man if you aim for contact, it is charging. No doubt. If you make an attempt to avoid that contact and in the end there is still contact due to repositioning of the defender etc. then it shouldn't be deemed to be charging. I know I stated 'Hogan is under no obligation in that position to avoid the man' but I meant in the context that if has already tried to do something to avoid the contact and it still results, then it should not be the sole fault of the attacker.

So in my opinion in the end it boils down to whether or not you think Hogan wanted the contact or wanted to get by Maher by stepping inside the challenge. I think the latter.

In defence of Hogan, i think genuinely was expecting the shoulder to shoulder challenge, and thats the reason he went in like that, but resulting in a full on charge which unfortunately in the rule book , is a free out. Either way, i think an earlier poster mentioned if he had continued on, more than likely he would have been pulled up for over carrying a free would have resulted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Gavin in last year's final put in a worse refereeing performance

mercury16 wrote: »

Kilkenny conceded 9 frees. 4 were points scored, 2 were penalties, one was the miss at the end. So there only 2 other frees to be accounted for during the rest of the game. But Kelly was giving frees all day for Tipp backs putting the head down and barging? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Posted same message on KK forum,don't need any smart alec Tipp replies;)

As a neutral watching game was surprised Cody left it so late to put on Shefflin....does that signal that he feels he can no longer make a meaningful contribution when a big game is in the melting pot,
    as a manager he has never really done sentiment and that has worked for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

Look on the balance of the match yesterday Kellys decisions favoured Tipperary slightly. The two penalties that were awarded; look if a defender is prepared to foul in that area, he should be prepared to run the risk of giving away penalty. Can’t blame the ref or umpires in that scenario they are not always going to get those calls correct. Both players tried to stay up and when they eventually went down they were inside. I know the fouls occurred outside the box and technically two 21’s should have been awarded, but I think if in doubt in these situations, the ref’s and umpires are right to give any advantage they can to the attacking team.

The last free; in fairness, I thought Brian Hogan was trying to spin out of the tackle, ref should have as Liam Sheedy said probably just have thrown the arms up and urged play on.
    Thankfully none of the decisions impacted upon the result, which cannot be said for ’09.

So if you’re a Kilkenny fan complaining about the ref I think you need to gain some perspective. And whatever about the fans complaining, Eddie Brennan proved one thing last night, he is not an analyst, to be nice to him he has some rather simplistic views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Everyone can nitpick at decisions , we've all seen it again in slow motion.

Sure even though Paul Murphy gave away a penalty , the Tipp player could have been penalised for over-carrying.

All-in-all , the referee had a decent game , and its now time to move on , as it will be a different ref next time .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I can't believe after one of the finest finals ever seen, so many of you are having a go at the referee. In my view the ref had a fine game and contributed to the spectacle by allowing the game to flow. Sure KK fans might feel hard done by on some of the decisions but either side could have grievances tbf and I think the game deserves better than to focus on a few decisions by the referee. I mean on the penalties you could easily argue that a 21 yard free would have suited Tipp better as they would likely have taken the points rather than going for goal so it's hardly something KK fans can claim cost them the match.
    Overall it was a superb match and I prefer to remember the quality of play and scores rather than focus on refereeing decisions. The goal by Reid was possibly the best goal I've seen in a long long time, absolute top drawer. I can't wait for the replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I can't believe after one of the finest finals ever seen, so many of you are having a go at the referee. In my view the ref had a fine game and contributed to the spectacle by allowing the game to flow. Sure KK fans might feel hard done by on some of the decisions but either side could have grievances tbf and I think the game deserves better than to focus on a few decisions by the referee. I mean on the penalties you could easily argue that a 21 yard free would have suited Tipp better as they would likely have taken the points rather than going for goal so it's hardly something KK fans can claim cost them the match.
    Overall it was a superb match and I prefer to remember the quality of play and scores rather than focus on refereeing decisions. The goal by Reid was possibly the best goal I've seen in a long long time, absolute top drawer. I can't wait for the replay.

Well said. The few refereeing mistakes evened themselves out in the end. Maybe one of the penalty decisions was debatable - certainly not the second one - and for all the iffy decisions given against Kilkenny, they got a massive one in their favour before TJ Reid's goal which, clearly, should have been a free out to Tipp.

Just as well O'Dwyer failed narrowly with the last free or Eddie Brennan would have self-combusted on the Sunday Game last night!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A few points from the game,

Firstly, great game, the score was 1-28 to 3-22, both of those scores should be enough to win two All Irelands.

Loads of great displays from both teams, Hogan's second half was incredible, Richie Pwer and TJ Reid gave very good displays, Corbett showed up big time, Callinan had a great game too, in the backs there were also very good performers despite the huge score put up.

For all the talk about Kilkenny having the better bench the subs that came in didn't have much of an impact. Fogarty was poor when he came on, Shefflin didn't look like he could get to the pace of the game either. The same goes for Eoin Kelly.

I thought the ref was generally poor, missed a fair bit , had some bad calls and there were some baffling decisions.

One other point about the players, I don't remember any scuffles or rows breaking out at any stage which I find quite surprising given the 2 teams involved.

I really don't care if the replay is on a Saturday or a Sunday, can't understand the big argument about it earlier in the thread. Hopefully it will sell out and hope we get a day like yesterday weather wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Haha, bitter much??

I'm not bitter, but then at least the Hawkeye judge is sponsored by specsavers.
    Time for referees to be too.

:P

RobertKK wrote: »
    I'm not bitter, but then at least the Hawkeye judge is sponsored by specsavers.
    Time for referees to be too.

:P

Awful rumours going around yesterday evening that it's operated by a man from kilkenny! ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Some posts which were adding nothing to the thread have been deleted. If you have a problem with a post please report it rather than letting the thread descend to nonsensical stuff again. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

That umpire who called for Hawkeye three times should not be invited back for the replay, he definitely should have been able to call the first two, I'll give him the third one though; probably made the right call there.

If he couldn't see the first two then to be honest I don't think he's up to it. Three times he couldn't judge whether a ball was inside/outside his own post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Will the next match be this years final all Ireland hurling final ?

Awful rumours going around yesterday evening that it's operated by a man from kilkenny! ;)

No that is the cat eyes :p

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Best match I think I ever attended. How players can make coherent decisions while playing with such pace and intensity is nigh extraordinary. The movement and sheer quality of scoretaking was superb, esp. Tipps in the closing stages under enormous pressure when a lesser team may have panicked and started going for goals. I thought also they showed great character to retrieve a 4-point deficit after Power's second goal when they may well have buckled - KK of earlier years would surely have put the foot down at that stage.

For KK, Richie Hogan was immense, Reid (in spite of my reservations) also excellent and Richie Power very dangerous in possession. Colin Fenn faded after a fairly bright opening and the misplaced goal pass may have weighed on his mind. His brother looked rusty but the game will improve him and he'll surely play at midfield in the replay. Only Galway could make W Walsh look like an inter-county hurler. Defence all had their moments, Paul Murphy having an excellent 2nd half, but Brian Hogan got dragged out of position a bit and JJ and Tyrell did look short of pace a good bit, esp. as the game wore on. Decision to change goalies probably justified.

Tipp also a lot of great performances; corner-backs very good, though I thought James Barry struggled on Reid a lot. HB line ok in general though Paudie Maher not as conspicuous as v Cork. Midfield probably shaded it overall and O'Shea judged the timing of their replacements correctly. Gearoid Ryan the quietest of the forwards, the rest of whom all contributed in varying degrees of excellence. (Bonner is very like Cyril Donnellan though - you sometimes wonder will he score a goal or just as easily misplace a handpass.) As I said, the quality of their point taking was brilliant, particularly in the later stages when shooting wide could have broken their hearts - witness Jason Forde's first involvement. No idea of Eoin Kelly's fit-for-purposeness these days but surely a man of his experience and ability would have something to add in the hectic closing stages. (Though, paradoxically I thought Shefflin's introduction wasn't necessary as his lesser pace didn't suit yesterday's game, don't think KK's bench is as strong as is commonly perceived.) Gleeson in goal was a bit dodgy and will be targeted more the next day I feel.

Manager-watch; credit to O'Shea for the way he had his team prepared, physically and mentally. To repeat, they didn't flinch when the chips were really down late on and had the assuredness to keep the scoreboard ticking over when all around them thought they'd need a goal. Thought he shaded the tactical battle and Tipp had greater pace throughout and more stamina right at the end. Was a little slow to change Michael Cahill onto Hogan, but at least it was made. Brian Cody did well to start Reid at FF and target Tipp's no. 3 weaknesses. In general his team did well but he was a bit slow to replace Walter Walsh and C Fennelly and would M Fennelly have finished lesser matches? You just get the feeling he hasn't full confidence in his bench - surely Tommy Walsh would have been good for a late cameo? O'Shea may be happier overall with his side's display, they took everything KK threw at them, but will wonder if some of Tipp's forwards can play as well again. Cody will have some musing to do for the replay; W Walsh cannot start again and maybe a slower pitch in 3 weeks may suit Shefflin more, but he doesn't have a lot more impact off the bench, bar maybe Padraig and Tommy Walsh.

Enough has been said re: the ref. When is the new one being appointed? (Nothing stopping Kelly from getting the replay remember!!) Roll on replay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

MfMan wrote: »
    No idea of Eoin Kelly's fit-for-purposeness these days but surely a man of his experience and ability would have something to add in the hectic closing stages.

Good report but Kelly did come on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 switzerland

Does anyone know if there is a rule in relation to mentors encroaching on the pitch during the game?

Michael Ryan or Eamon O'Shea went onto the field at almost every break in play yesterday which I don't understand (and it was to provide instructions rather than water). I haven't notice any team other than Tipp carry on like this. Are there rules about mentors running onto the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Good report but Kelly did come on :D

No, but I meant why did some Tipp' fans question his introduction. I would certainly have used him and maybe the KK defence would have been warier of his arrival rather than a lesser-known player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement