Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI Final 07/09/14. Tipp v Kilkenny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

As a neutral this was as good a game a hurling as i've ever seen, fair play to both teams for providing that level of entertainment.It could've been won or lost by either side on the day so a replay was probably the best outcome. Dont see why the same ref should'nt be used the next day, he was fair to both teams and consulted umpires on several occasions to keep it so.No point in bitchin about a match that's in the books now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

That umpire who called for Hawkeye three times should not be invited back for the replay, he definitely should have been able to call the first two, I'll give him the third one though; probably made the right call there.

If he couldn't see the first two then to be honest I don't think he's up to it. Three times he couldn't judge whether a ball was inside/outside his own post?

You're safe there. Umpires are brought by the ref. Don't see the problem with him calling for hawk eye. Better be safe than sorry. Tech is there so why not use it. Total non issue IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

EunanMac wrote: »
    Will the next match be this years final all Ireland hurling final ?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

citykat wrote: »
    You're safe there. Umpires are brought by the ref. Don't see the problem with him calling for hawk eye. Better be safe than sorry. Tech is there so why not use it. Total non issue IMO.

I'm fairly sure the umpire waved the last free wide to begin with.

Could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Does anyone know if there is a rule in relation to mentors encroaching on the pitch during the game?

Michael Ryan or Eamon O'Shea went onto the field at almost every break in play yesterday which I don't understand (and it was to provide instructions rather than water). I haven't notice any team other than Tipp carry on like this. Are there rules about mentors running onto the pitch?

Rules! Rules are for pussyKats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Could be wrong on that.

I think he was trying to draw a 'Hawk Eye' square symbol with his hands, badly mind you. His hands were low, if he was waving a wide his arms would be raised at least.
    Thank fupp for Hawk Eye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

I think he was trying to draw a 'Hawk Eye' square symbol with his hands, badly mind you. His hands were low, if he was waving a wide his arms would be raised at least.
    Thank fupp for Hawk Eye :D

Thank fupp is right, there would have been a riot at the end of the match without it.:D

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Could be wrong on that.

He did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Can anyone clarify if Kelly was correct to blow Larkin for an apparent "dive"?

As in, where is it in the rulebook?

I'm looking and I can't find it anywhere.

Watching the game again. McGrath (S) got the ball in the 4th min and drove out Brian Hogan-like. Ref blew a free for McGrath. Tipp scored from the free (great strike from bubbles TBF). It was that type of BS that annoyed me and a lot of KK fans yesterday. Similarly with Larks two challenges. I thought at the time the first was right but watching again Larks was caught round the neck before he went to ground. As for the second, whatever about Larks feet leaving the ground Stapleton clotheslined him. I don't buy into the whole Kelly conspiracy but he definitely made some poor decisions against us yesterday. What's interesting to me is I haven't read or heard of one complaint from Tipp fans about the ref. That doesn't happen too often.

• Advertisement

He didn't dive. He was caught round the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I'd like to know too. Larkin handpassed the ball away to Fennelly after hitting the ground and it was only after the ball reached Michael Fennelly did Kelly blow the whistle indicating a dive which made the decision more confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Are people still whining about the referee ?
    Get over it
    Like any game, some decisions you win, some you loose
    Both sides played out of their skin, and deserved to win / draw, it's a simple as that.
    The draw is fair and square.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Song to air of galway races or ruby walsh song

Well now there's Thomastown there's Hugginstown, there's Muckalee and Clara
    There's Killenaule, there's Mullinahone, Roscrea and Toomevara!
    There's people here from everywhere, from Comer and Moycarkey!
    They've all come here to drink the beer and bring back home McCarthy.

Tipperary and the cats up for the match and here we go!

You could here the rose of Mooncoin or Tipp lads playing concertina.
    The hills were small around killenaule now we're on the road to Nenagh.
    There's young and old there's blue and gold among the black and amber.
    They've come to see the hurling giants on the seventh of September!

Brian Cody's on the wireless, he's talking up Tipperary.
    He says it will be a savage match and things they could get hairy.
    They say the cats play on the edge but Cody's not for turning.
    This is strictly not come dancing, we're in to manly hurling.

Tipperary and the cats up for the match and here we go.

The pundits on the Sunday game are in a feeding frenzy.
    They're throwing shapes, reviewing tapes, Mulcahys green with envy.
    It seems their aim to make their name by causing controversy.
    They wouldn't hold a candle to Michael o Muirheartaigh.

So who will be the hero when these legends meet again?
    Will Kelly win his third one or will Henry make it ten?
    Or will it be Richie hogan or the roving Larry Corbett?
    If Tommy scores the winning point it will us in to orbit!

So if you're sick and tired of politics, of ice buckets and Nama
    Just mosey down to croke park and immerse yourself in the drama
    If you're ass has died, if you're unemployed or your wife is looking scary
    The time has come lets get it on Kilkenny and Tipperary

So we've had another epic and it ended in a draw
    I think it was the best all ireland that I ever saw
    Thank god that we had hawk eye and the replay on the telly
    Id recommend specsavers for Barry Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

MOD - 2nd time today the thread has got out of hand. Raking up games from 5 years ago has no relevance and only adds to the inflammatory nature of todays posts. Last warning - quit the sniping or bans will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

I'd like to know too. Larkin handpassed the ball away to Fennelly after hitting the ground and it was only after the ball reached Michael Fennelly did Kelly blow the whistle indicating a dive which made the decision more confusing

I Barry's mind. if you even fall to the ground he'll give a free er. that is if you're from Kilkenny.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

Rule 5.25 - To attempt to achieve an advantage by feigning a foul or injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

EunanMac wrote: »
    Are people still whining about the referee ?
    Get over it
    Like any game, some decisions you win, some you loose
    Both sides played out of their skin, and deserved to win / draw, it's a simple as that.
    The draw is fair and square.

No it was not.

awec wrote: »
    He did.

Just watched it again. He didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Just a few things on the game. It was probably the best All Ireland final that I can remember, and credit for that has to go to 2 tremendous teams, and their management. The players attitude on the day was 1st class, and I can't remember a dirty stroke from either side.
    As for Barry Kelly's handling of the game, I think he did a fine job. He might have made the odd mistake here and there, but then again who didn't in a game of such speed and intensity.
    As regards the 2 penalty decisions, they were definitely frees, but probably only normal 21's. If Tipp had taken 2 points from those frees would the KK people still be moaning about them being penalties??? For the face mask incident with Paddy Stapleton, if the ref didn't see it he can't give him a yellow/red card, it was hard to spot in normal time, and he can't be influenced by Ritchie Power waving his face mask at him.
    The Eoin Larkin free would probably have been given by most referees, but most refs would also have pulled Brian Hogan for charging, as he led with the shoulder and elbow into Pauric Maher's chest.
    As for the replay I feel Tipp will have gained most from yesterdays game, but the only doubt would be will the Tipp forwards play as good again, which they probably need to to win. I think the ref the next day should be Cork's Cathal Mc Allister, as in my opinion he is the best referee in the country at the moment. If it's Brian Gavin reffing will he wear a helmet for safety?
    Best of luck to both teams the next day, and also to the officials, and if it's half as good as yesterday's game most people will be happy.

Eamonn O'Shea knows his team for the replay, Brian Cody is going eenee,meeney, miney, mo!

Eamonn O'Shea knows his team for the replay, Brian Cody is going eenee,meeney, miney, mo!

We can also assume O'Shea will bring arsey for the big roar in the last 5 mins. Very Jedi like of O'Shea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mrhat

Yea he's going eenee meeney miney mo when choosing he's favourite AI medal :)

maudgone wrote: »
    Just a few things on the game. It was probably the best All Ireland final that I can remember, and credit for that has to go to 2 tremendous teams, and their management. The players attitude on the day was 1st class, and I can't remember a dirty stroke from either side.
    As for Barry Kelly's handling of the game, I think he did a fine job. He might have made the odd mistake here and there, but then again who didn't in a game of such speed and intensity.
    As regards the 2 penalty decisions, they were definitely frees, but probably only normal 21's. If Tipp had taken 2 points from those frees would the KK people still be moaning about them being penalties??? For the face mask incident with Paddy Stapleton, if the ref didn't see it he can't give him a yellow/red card, it was hard to spot in normal time, and he can't be influenced by Ritchie Power waving his face mask at him.
    The Eoin Larkin free would probably have been given by most referees, but most refs would also have pulled Brian Hogan for charging, as he led with the shoulder and elbow into Pauric Maher's chest.
    As for the replay I feel Tipp will have gained most from yesterdays game, but the only doubt would be will the Tipp forwards play as good again, which they probably need to to win. I think the ref the next day should be Cork's Cathal Mc Allister, as in my opinion he is the best referee in the country at the moment. If it's Brian Gavin reffing will he wear a helmet for safety?
    Best of luck to both teams the next day, and also to the officials, and if it's half as good as yesterday's game most people will be happy.

It would be great if it was McAllister reffing it(all his people came from Borrisokane) I'm not sure about Gavin,but sure we have almost 3 weeks to get him onside.

It would be great if it was McAllister reffing it(all his people came from Borrisokane) I'm not sure about Gavin,but sure we have almost 3 weeks to get him onside.

Don't trust the players to do the job? Turning on the players again are we? F**k me you're a fickle bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Don't trust the players to do the job? Turning on the players again are we? F**k me you're a fickle bunch.

Where did you read that in his statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

We can also assume O'Shea will bring arsey for the big roar in the last 5 mins. Very Jedi like of O'Shea.

Classy.. Are you sure about what person you're referring to? You haven't a great track record in that department.

Skyrim wrote: »
    Classy.. Are you sure about what person you're referring to? You haven't a great track record in that department.

Oh I'm sure and I think you know too...

Whatever happened to the standing ovation ye were going to give Henry when he came on?

Whatever happened to the standing ovation ye were going to give Henry when he came on?

You mustve gone for a piss. Don't worry there'll be another one on the 27th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Oh I'm sure and I think you know too...
    Well it sure makes a difference from complaining about every single possible issue re the match. But I trust ye to find a new angle:). Ye generally do.

Skyrim wrote: »
    Well it sure makes a difference from complaining about every single possible issue re the match. But I trust ye to find a new angle:). Ye generally do.

I await your match post with bated breath. You did watch it didn't you?

You mustve gone for a piss. Don't worry there'll be another one on the 27th.

All I heard were a few chants of '10 for Hen'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Someone posted earlier that Eamonn O'Shea would be happy that Tipp took everything KK could throw at them. Does anyone else find that a curious statement. I would have thought it was the other way around with KK not playing to the best of their collective ability in addition to some very curious reffing decisions still not losing. Tipp hurled out of their skin to be fair to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Er... Cody... Shefflin..?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

Make sure to wrap Henry in bubblewrap and keep him away from the good manly hurling in training for the next few weeks. The auld leg might go on him again. No way he'd be able for the last 4 or 5 minutes with another sore auld leg.

Cmere what did you make of Richie power kicking Paddy Stapleton in the build up to TJ reid goal? A good manly kick?

tonyduggan wrote: »
    Make sure to wrap Henry in bubblewrap and keep him away from the good manly hurling in training for the next few weeks. The auld leg might go on him again. No way he'd be able for the last 4 or 5 minutes with another sore auld leg.

Cmere what did you make of Richie power kicking Paddy Stapleton in the build up to TJ reid goal? A good manly kick?

What did you make of Stapleton's faceguard pulling :p

holyhead wrote: »

Evens out with the kick. A goal came as a direct result of the kick. What happened after the faceguard pulling, besides half of KK wetting their pants that a decision didn't go their way for once?

Evens out with the kick. A goal came as a direct result of the kick. What happened after the faceguard pulling, besides half of KK wetting their pants that a decision didn't go their way for once?

Stapleton should have walked! We may have scored a point, which given that it ended in a draw. Etc! We may have made good of a man advantage. All if and buts!

Stapleton should have walked! We may have scored a point, which given that it ended in a draw. Etc! We may have made good of a man advantage. All if and buts!

And Power should have walked for the kick. Evens out. Ref is not the talking point of the match, lets be honest. Its a small minority of sour KK fans, led by Mr. Personality Eddie Brennan, who are trying to blame everyone but themselves for not winning. Wouldn't include you in that group Holyhead by the way. Its not over yet for either team. We have another cracking 70 mins ahead of us in 3 weeks. The build up to this final was great, dampened only by the failed attempts of that minority to blame the ref for everything before any whistle had been blown. I hope the build up to the replay is not all about the ref. It should be about the fact that we are privileged to witness the greatest sport in the world for another 70 minutes in 3 weeks time. The long cold winter is 3 weeks shorter this year!

• Advertisement

Tipp played brilliantly. Ref will have better days. KK have to improve big time to succeed next time out. If we improve we should win. May the best team win and may we have another epic game

Cathal Barrett must have been experiencing it at some stage too from Walter Walsh. Picture of him on the daily mail today with the faceguard loose and he had to come out for the second half with a new helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Cathal Barrett must have been experiencing it at some stage too from Walter Walsh. Picture of him on the daily mail today with the faceguard loose and he had to come out for the second half with a new helmet.

Nah his helmet came loose because the other Tipp players used him for helmet pulling practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The one pity about the replay is having to read three more weeks of this sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

The one pity about the replay is having to read three more weeks of this sh*te.

Couldn't agree more. Both counties are being embarrassed by the carry on of a few here and it's completely put me off wanting to contribute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

OAOB wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Both counties are being embarrassed by the carry on of a few here and it's completely put me off wanting to contribute

Some of the better contributors seem to want to stay away which is a crying shame.

Even one lad made some very good points post match and has now decided to pursue a vendetta having rewatched the game. Which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Too true,tis a mans game,play it like a man,take the outcome like a man,turn you off reading this bitchin!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Some of the posts in this thread are pathetic and embarrassing from supporters on both sides. The personal abuse of some players and the ref is a disgrace but why am I surprised?

On the match, I think it was the greatest game I have ever seen. I said the same thing straight afterwards, I am just looking forward to seeing it back on the sky+.

Have to give a mention in particular to Cathal Barrett, he was exceptional throughout and any questions re would he be able for Walsh's size and strength were well and truly put to bed on Sunday.

I think we can get better performances from 4 players still. Gleeson can improve, he was a bit sloppy at times but did okay. Barry did not have his best game, Brendan Maher and Gar Ryan have way more in them too.

To a man the effort was phenomenal. Credit to Kilkenny too, Richie Hogan was near un-markable in the 2nd half and TJ Reid was excellent in the 1st half. Buckley I thought had a very good game and Paul Murphy had a classic battle with Bonner Maher. Eoin Murphy was very solid in the goal also.

On the ref I thought he done fine, not great but definitely not deserving of the abuse he has gotten since. Marginal calls went against both teams. Larkin should have got 1 of those frees but the first call was spot on imo. The 2 penalty incidents could be argued but i thought the first was inside and the second outside without having seeing any replays. I was hoping we would tap over the first one as we never score penalties, plus that would have pushed us 6 clear. Instead we gave Kilkenny a lift by missing it. We had to go for the 2nd I felt. In fairness to Barry Kelly he consulted his umpires on both occasions. Very little has been made of the kick that Power drew on Stapleton right before the 2nd Kilkenny goal also, pity this wasn't highlighted as seems to be the case. The final free was correct from my viewing but I think the ball was breaking to a Tipp man anyway.

Regardless the ref bashing is uncalled for, and many of the decisions comes down to the refs interpretation.

I can not wait for the 27th, a Saturday evening in Croke Park will be unreal.

Both counties are being embarrassed by the carry on of a few here

The measure of a county truly is 5 or 6 lads opinions on boards.ie....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The measure of a county truly is 5 or 6 lads opinions on boards.ie....

Being embarrassed != embarrassing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement