Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI Final 07/09/14. Tipp v Kilkenny

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Amprodude wrote: »
    Chance now for Tipp to put this to bed. They are the better team and need to deliver next day out.

On the grounds that they haven't beaten us in 4 years?!

On the grounds that they haven't beaten us in 4 years?!

That will count for nothing on the 27th. Its a new game and its anyones. Who ever wants it enough or even whoever just gets those breaks of the ball will take it. I would doubt Kilkenny were too caught up in tradition when they achieved their second championship win over us in 90 years back in 2002

Some times less is more tbh. Ye have the ideal structure if you ask me. We by right should have been aiming for half of what we have. Many of our 32 are barely good enough for intermediate let alone senior but as they say the pen is mightier than the sword and politics within have created this absurd situation. A few years ago clubs could apply for Senior status and relegation was scrapped. A recipe for disaster.

We have the opposite problem, not enough teams playing at Senior level with the result that good underage players like Kevin Kelly, Joe Brennan, Richie Doyle, Brian Kennedy, Ger Aylward haven't made the progress expected which could be attributed to playing Intermediate/Junior hurling.

We have the opposite problem, not enough teams playing at Senior level with the result that good underage players like Kevin Kelly, Joe Brennan, Richie Doyle, Brian Kennedy, Ger Aylward haven't made the progress expected which could be attributed to playing Intermediate/Junior hurling.

Yeah I see the problem with that also tbf.
    I think the best of both worlds would be to allow the few combo clubs at Senior level whilst at the same time not going overboard with the numbers.

There is alot of good hurlers with junior clubs and in particular in South Tipperary who will never get the same opportunity of playing for the county at Senior level because of the level they play at so from that point of view I would advocate a few combo teams in order to give the best players of these junior clubs a chance to gain senior experience and maybe catch the eye of senior management.

There is 66 Adult hurling clubs in Tipperary and 32 of them are Senior but most in name only.

A fella from Gortnahoe often tells me that he watches the local derbies between St Lachtains and the Emeralds and is highly impressed with the intensity levels of these affairs. I wouldnt tinker about too much with the current system if i was Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

We're certainly as good
    On Sunday ye lads were,no doubt about it.
    Over the last few years,I wouldn't be so sure ;)
    Anyway,apart from a classic in terms of skill and edge of the seat excitement,
    one aspect struck me and that's all of Tipps players (bar G.ryan) had games in which they could hold their heads up high after.None of them had below a 7/10 score.Theres no doubt about that.Even the subs contributed.
    Where as on the KK side...Tyrell,Holden,B.Hogan,michael & Colin Fennelly,Walter Walsh had games in which I'd rate them between a 5/10 and 3/10.
    Delaney,fogarty and Larkin I'd rate at 6/10.
    The subs did nothing.
    As for the 2 Murphys,Buckley,richie hogan(in second half) power and Tj...only for them then KK would have been hammered.
    Was it a question of only playing as much as you are let or was it one of those days when only a few players could be happy with their efforts and the others were flat?
    Difficult to answer,but I think
    if KK get more than 6 players performing to the required standard the next day,along with a few changes(positional and personnel) then I could see them winning.
    Will Tipp/KK perform to those standards again?

Yeah I see the problem with that also tbf.
    I think the best of both worlds would be to allow the few combo clubs at Senior level whilst at the same time not going overboard with the numbers.

There is alot of good hurlers with junior clubs and in particular in South Tipperary who will never get the same opportunity of playing for the county at Senior level because of the level they play at so from that point of view I would advocate a few combo teams in order to give the best players of these junior clubs a chance to gain senior experience and maybe catch the eye of senior management.

There is 66 Adult hurling clubs in Tipperary and 32 of them are Senior but most in name only.

A fella from Gortnahoe often tells me that he watches the local derbies between St Lachtains and the Emeralds and is highly impressed with the intensity levels of these affairs. I wouldnt tinker about too much with the current system if i was Kilkenny.
    I've posted elsewhere on this subject but the gist of it is, from the '08 - '10 minor teams nearly 70% of the starters in those 3 finals came from Intermediate/Junior clubs. 7 players from those years got game time last sunday, Fogarty, Buckley, Holden, P Walsh, J Power( senior clubs) E Murphy and W Walsh (intermediate clubs) Progress seems to be stalling somewhere a long the line, maybe divisional teams are the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I've posted elsewhere on this subject but the gist of it is, from the '08 - '10 minor teams nearly 70% of the starters in those 3 finals came from Intermediate/Junior clubs. 7 players from those years got game time last sunday, Fogarty, Buckley, Holden, P Walsh, J Power( senior clubs) E Murphy and W Walsh (intermediate clubs) Progress seems to be stalling somewhere a long the line, maybe divisional teams are the answer.
    TBF 7 players from 3 minor teams is not a bad return. considering there are more to come from the 2010 team

Charlie69 wrote: »
    TBF 7 players from 3 minor teams is not a bad return. considering there are more to come from the 2010 team

Really? Who would you be hopeful of making the breakthrough?

Really? Who would you be hopeful of making the breakthrough?

Kevin Kelly's a cert, would also think G Alyward, Luke Harney, R Reid and Tucker Hanrahan still have an outside chance.

• Advertisement

Kevin Kelly's a cert, would also think G Alyward, Luke Harney, R Reid and Tucker Hanrahan still have an outside chance.

Was of the same opinion bout Kelly a few years back not so sure now. Alyward seems to have gone backwards also. Reid would be the one i'd be most hopeful of out of that lot, and playing senior club will be a big advantage.

Was of the same opinion bout Kelly a few years back not so sure now. Alyward seems to have gone backwards also. Reid would be the one i'd be most hopeful of out of that lot, and playing senior club will be a big advantage.

Don't lose faith, Kelly will make it, I think Geoff Brennan has a chance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I would doubt Kilkenny were too caught up in tradition when they achieved their second championship win over us in 90 years back in 2002

Hey it was only 80 years lol!

At this stage Kilkenny and Tipp have played as many times between 2002 and 2014 as they did the previous 80 years. The matches between the 2 rivals were unfortunately too few and far between in bygone days. Cant wait for the next installment.

Don't lose faith, Kelly will make it, I think Geoff Brennan has a chance too.

You from Ballyragget by any chance? lol

You from Ballyragget by any chance? lol
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No

That was so blunt I'd have to guess Conahy...

• Advertisement

That was so blunt I'd have to guess Conahy...
    Didn't mean to be so blunt there, not from Conahy and have no prob with Ballyragget,:)and would love to see both of these players fulfilling their potential,especially Kelly, the best freetaker and striker of the ball in the County imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

what was the official attendance at the drawn game? thanks.

mystic86 wrote: »
    what was the official attendance at the drawn game? thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Croke Park doesn't play slower in the rain though, in fact if anything it plays faster as the ball zips off the surface.

I'ts not like pitches of old where the sod got heavy and slow after rain, Croker remains very firm and but slippy which actually makes it harder for older legs to turn quickly and keep their feet.

Wet ball is harder to control but more importantly players will turn slower in the rain due to the slippery underfoot conditions.

I would also think that a dry ball will move faster as it would be lighter than a wet ball. If you're a back you have one advantage in that you are facing away from goal and even if the forward gathers has to turn to take you on which when slowed down gives you more of a chance to bottle them up.

I take your point on slipping which could happen anyone but I think its no coincidence that scores are higher when its sunny and I think pace thrives on dry conditions. A lot of Tipps game revolves around movement and running at defenders with the ball and I feel that given the margin for error when it's wet would disadvantage them in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I was a bit surprised when that flashed up on the screen. There were a good few empty seats in the upper stands.

• Advertisement

I was a bit surprised when that flashed up on the screen. There were a good few empty seats in the upper stands.

Might have been Limerick fans who left after the Minor or hopefully tickets paid for by touts that they couldn't shift? But it was officially sold out.

Wet ball is harder to control but more importantly players will turn slower in the rain due to the slippery underfoot conditions.

I would also think that a dry ball will move faster as it would be lighter than a wet ball. If you're a back you have one advantage in that you are facing away from goal and even if the forward gathers has to turn to take you on which when slowed down gives you more of a chance to bottle them up.

I take your point on slipping which could happen anyone but I think its no coincidence that scores are higher when its sunny and I think pace thrives on dry conditions. A lot of Tipps game revolves around movement and running at defenders with the ball and I feel that given the margin for error when it's wet would disadvantage them in that regard.
    You could be right but as you say Tipps game revolves around movement and I don't want to see pacy forwards running at Brian Hogan or Jackie Tyrell making them change direction on a wet pitch as there's only one winner in that scenario.

Kilkenny have a very poor record in Croke Park on wet days so I for one will be hoping for good weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Who gave those odds. I backed it with PP this morning and got 10/1

Sorry only seeing this now, I don't know who it was with (I'm not a gamblin man) the lads were on their phones so it was online anyway. They were shouting the price changes to me during the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Might have been Limerick fans who left after the Minor or hopefully tickets paid for by touts that they couldn't shift? But it was officially sold out.

Hogan stand tickets for sale 20 minute before the game at 30 euro each. Id say a good few touts got roasted as they were paying face value at 12.

I had a dream last night that Tipp won bu 8 points. Should I have a bet on it?

Go for it! I love seeing Tipp men losing money!!

Go for it! I love seeing Tipp men losing money!!

The dream was very realistic though. It even showed Brian Cody grabbing Marty Morrissey by the throat at the end of the game interview !

The dream was very realistic though. It even showed Brian Cody grabbing Marty Morrissey by the throat at the end of the game interview !

Sure, see if you can get a price on that as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Triboro

Stay dreamin......cheaper!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Yes, absolutely.

Signed

P. Power

• Advertisement

He'd never get all that orange tan off his hands :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Who does Lar follow in your dreams?

citykat wrote:

The rebound

citykat wrote: »

Not Tommy Walsh anyway, unless he goes to search for him in the dugout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

Not Tommy Walsh anyway, unless he goes to search for him in the dugout.
    Wouldn't surprise me if he did after the antics the last time.Sure wasn't he supposed to be hiding in the bushes at Tommys wedding? Could have sworn I saw a picture of him somewhere trying to get in the guard of honour :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thread for the replay is here.
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement