Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin safe anymore?

Options
  • 17-08-2014 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,
    My dad was born and bred in Dublin, from the navan road. When I was almost a year old (late 97) they moved down here to Wexford. They had lived in clonsilla since 1994 and mam especially had nothing but trouble.. Constant muggings, my da got attacked with a syringe by a junkie and then the final straw was when mam got mugged and the mugger knocked me out of the buggy, face down onto the floor, constant trouble so then they moved down to Wexford. They would of stayed in dublin especially cause my dad wanted to but they couldn't afford a mortgage anywhere better so they just left for Wexford.
    Now I'm no culchie :P Dublin's like my second home growing up and I know it well. It gets far too many country people calling it a kip simply because some harmless junkie off his head comes up looking for some spare change in the city center. Dublin when you know it well is a nice city with alright people. I still don't particularly like clonsilla but as far as dad's home place (navan road) I've feel as safe as houses. Dad still works in donnybrook but he says that the cc is just gone awful.. I've asked family members and they just say that it's important to keep your wits, stay in groups or at least with another person, take taxis at night and if you have to take a bus at night DO NOT sit upstairs. Anyway, (sorry for this long threat) im heading up to dcu for college and I don't know about Dublin anymore. Who am i to say because i technically have never lived in Dublin and dad hasn't lived there in 17 years either. You can't just hide on campus because of fear but attacks in broad daylight? Syringe attacks, aggressive junkies hounding you?? Obviously im used to the odd trouble maker/waster or wino/junkie but, is it really gone that bad? Ive asked family members but I want other people's opinions on how safe Dublin really is now? Cc and suburbs included. I saw an article on spin radio's fb page and there was nothing but native dubs complaining about how unsafe it's gone:o Family members included saying that. Any opinions?? Thanks lads :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Citizen2011

Dublin is as safe as houses. You're spouting some awful Sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've never had an incident.

There is good and bad everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. No where in the world is perfectly safe. It is what it is, and you get on with life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 beccaroisinxo

Dublin is as safe as houses. You're spouting some awful Sh1te.

That's why I'm asking because all that crap happened nearly 20 years ago. Gowan, you may educate the culchie lads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Dublin is like any other city,be aware of your surroundings and use a bit of common sense and you'll be grand.Even the so-called rough areas are fine as long as you keep yourself to yourself.If a drug addict/wino asks you for change or a smoke,a polite ''sorry'' will do the trick.

It's perfectly safe to sit upstairs on the bus too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Its a very safe place. Some people have been wrapped in cotton wool all their lives sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's one of the safest cities in Europe.

Sometimes when people move to somewhere new they feel the need to justify the move by putting the place they left down!! It's human nature.

Congratulations on you're move and you're college placement, you obviously worked hard. Look forward to it and embrace the city when you get here. You mentioned someone told you to keep your wits about you, same goes for everywhere really!

As a student I'd be wary of getting very drunk, watch how much you drink, don't leave yourself exposed, vulnerable, lost etc... at night. Don't blow your money in your local in Wexford every weekend, keep a few bob for your week in Dublin. Lots of my fellow students would arrive in Dublin in a heap from the weekend at home broke and complain about how expensive Dublin was.

Everywhere's expensive if you have no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You've been watching too much tv3 It's safer than most similarly sized European cities. If you're comparing it to an Irish town, yes of course its comparatively more dangerous as one would expect for a significantly larger urban centre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

cgcsb wrote: »
    If you're comparing it to an Irish town, yes of course its comparatively more dangerous as one would expect for a significantly larger urban centre

mmmmmmmmm! I wouldn't be too sure about that dude!! There's some rough little towns dotted around the country where you'd be far more likely to get a smack in the jaw at closing time or outside the chipper.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    mmmmmmmmm! I wouldn't be too sure about that dude!! There's some rough little towns dotted around the country where you'd be far more likely to get a smack in the jaw at closing time or outside the chipper.

You're absolutely right! There's some right little kips mapped around the country.. I have not been watching too much tv3 or been wrapped up in cotton wool, I actually find Dublin to be safe but I just want to clarify all this hear say.

• Advertisement

I know Dublin for god sake, I wear my Dublin jersey proudly. Cease to talk to me as a culchie :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

It's as safe as a house in Darndale..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I've been going into the north inner-city every day since I was 11 almost 25 years ago and it's safer than ever. People like to exaggerate just to make themselves sound more clued-in and their own areas more exclusive. For a young lad going to college the most dangerous time and place is 3am in areas with lots of nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭francois

Despite the daily diet of "going to hell in a handcart" nonsense spouted by the likes of the Herand and Indo, Dublin is, for a capitial city, below average when it comes to crime,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There are around 1 million people living in Dublin and it's suburbs, of course there will be crime, some dodgy looking people and some awkward and possibly dangerous encounters. But it is all part and parcel of living in a city and there is lots of good to outweigh the bad. I don;t think Dublin is any worse than most European cities. This is the nature of a city and I'm not sure that anyone from other parts of the country really understand that; they just see a few bad things when up for a day trip and tell everyone they almost lost their life on the Luas (or wherever).

ETA: I grew up very close to Clonsilla and that general area is much safer and more settled than it was in the 90s, that is for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

That's it really.If you're from the country and are not used to seeing the groups of addicts/drunks that congregate in town and you don't know what to expect of them,then I'm sure you'd feel threatened by them.But they're pretty much harmless and are part and parcel of any city,that's why most tourists don't seem to be bothered by them all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

It's very safe but do remember your in a city and there is junkies and pick pockets as there is everywhere. As others have said Dublin is below the average on crime for a city which will tell you that it has come a lot safer over the years. Outside of Dublin city there is still a few dodgy areas but nothing major. Around dcu is grand and very quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Wexford town is way worse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As a life long Dub I can honestly say 99% of you have your heads well and truly in the sand. Dublin is an intimidating place for many Dubliners, never mind tourists, not because it is a city but because the center has been surrendered by the gardaí and justice system to junkies, drunks and feral gangs of teenagers especially the north inner city.

This won't change until the denial ends. I'm in there ever single day and see it getting worse by the month. Something has to be done about it. Only a matter of time before Dublin gets blacklisted by a major international travel publication.

Maybe that is what it will take for people to open their eyes. I don't like saying Dublin is an absolute kip with a genuine air of menace but it is the truth.

It is not acceptable for a capital city in Europe to be allowed deteriorate like this and serious questions need to be answered before it is too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

As a life long Dub I can honestly say 99% of you have your heads well and truly in the sand. Dublin is an intimidating place for many Dubliners, never mind tourists, not because it is a city but because the center has been surrendered by the gardaí and justice system to junkies, drunks and feral gangs of teenagers especially the north inner city.

This won't change until the denial ends. I'm in there ever single day and see it getting worse by the month. Something has to be done about it. Only a matter of time before Dublin gets blacklisted by a major international travel publication.

Maybe that is what it will take for people to open their eyes. I don't like saying Dublin is an absolute kip with a genuine air of menace but it is the truth.

It is not acceptable for a capital city in Europe to be allowed deteriorate like this and serious questions need to be answered before it is too late.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

Well, this is total bollox tbh.

I moved to the north inner city 18 months ago and I've not found it to be intimidating in the slightest.

Maybe if a person is going to wander around like a frightened mouse the occasional drunk or weirdo might hassle you for change, a simple "no, sorry" does the trick with them.

I can't understand this attitude at all.

If you think what is allowed to go on in DCC is typical of cities across Europe you are utterly deluded and in denial. There is no gardaí. We have a boardwalk that is a meet and greet for junkies and dealers. We have a tram line that ferries junkies in and out every day to each of the 20 plus methadone clinics situated right in the heart of the city from the worst suburbs in Dublin and then the powers that be express surprise when people are afraid to use it but also surprise when they see the consequences of their own planning stupidities. We have shop fronts being smashed in on O'Connell street and it takes the gardaí 45 minutes to arrive. We have businesses now refusing to pay rates because they put up with juvenile delinquency and they are fed up with the epidemic of drug use and vandalism in the city center. We have tourists getting robbed in broad daylight and assaulted with impunity. We had a bunch of travellers with hurls kicking the **** out of each other at the corner of Henry St and O'Connell St right outside the tourist office a few months back for 15 whole minutes uninterrupted. We have drunks wandering the streets in the afternoon - nothing done. We have gangs of teenagers, many off their heads, congregating in the most important parts of the city center and at the statues on O'Connell St. We have Tara Sreet station - one of the main stations in the city - at 11 am one morning last week where I and many others including tourists and Dubs saw two guys with their trousers down around their ankles - one taking a dump and the other injecting himself. As well as that about 15 other associates hanging around. Again no gardaí. This is repeated right across the city center. I could write a book on what I have seen in the last 3 months in there alone.

And you are trying to tell me we don't have a serious problem in the city center? That we don't have a law and order crisis in the center. That we don't have a drug crisis in the city center.

You all have low standards for your own capital city which is a complete disgrace and embarrassment. I'm embarrassed by the city center. Instead of mindlessly defending this situation you all should be as well.

You're right, it's basically South Central LA...

The Rabbit wrote: »
    You're right, it's basically South Central LA...

Be flippant all you like. I guarantee you the vast majority of right thinking people would agree with me that it is unacceptable for our capital city to be in the state it is in right now.

The damage being done to our city and our reputation is enormous partly because we are dealing with people like you who are in utter denial.

Be flippant all you like. I guarantee you the vast majority of right thinking people would agree with me that it is unacceptable for our capital city to be in the state it is in right now.

The damage being done to our city and our reputation is enormous partly because we are dealing with people like you who are in utter denial.

I'm not in denial. I'm just not a fan of hand wringing, the end is nigh nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'd be interested to see the results of your poll of 'Many dubliners'. Sure it has the usual inner city problems but for me, I feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Only a matter of time before Dublin gets blacklisted by a major international travel publication.

[url] http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/dublin-the-fifth-friendliest-city-on-earth-cond-nast-traveler-30492897.html [/url]

Dublin has been voted the world's fifth friendliest city by readers of Condé Nast Traveler, the prestigious US travel magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

If you think what is allowed to go on in DCC is typical of cities across Europe you are utterly deluded and in denial. There is no gardaí. We have a boardwalk that is a meet and greet for junkies and dealers. We have a tram line that ferries junkies in and out every day to each of the 20 plus methadone clinics situated right in the heart of the city from the worst suburbs in Dublin and then the powers that be express surprise when people are afraid to use it but also surprise when they see the consequences of their own planning stupidities. We have shop fronts being smashed in on O'Connell street and it takes the gardaí 45 minutes to arrive. We have businesses now refusing to pay rates because they put up with juvenile delinquency and they are fed up with the epidemic of drug use and vandalism in the city center. We have tourists getting robbed in broad daylight and assaulted with impunity. We had a bunch of travellers with hurls kicking the **** out of each other at the corner of Henry St and O'Connell St right outside the tourist office a few months back for 15 whole minutes uninterrupted. We have drunks wandering the streets in the afternoon - nothing done. We have gangs of teenagers, many off their heads, congregating in the most important parts of the city center and at the statues on O'Connell St. We have Tara Sreet station - one of the main stations in the city - at 11 am one morning last week where I and many others including tourists and Dubs saw two guys with their trousers down around their ankles - one taking a dump and the other injecting himself. As well as that about 15 other associates hanging around. Again no gardaí. This is repeated right across the city center. I could write a book on what I have seen in the last 3 months in there alone.

And you are trying to tell me we don't have a serious problem in the city center? That we don't have a law and order crisis in the center. That we don't have a drug crisis in the city center.

You all have low standards for your own capital city which is a complete disgrace and embarrassment. I'm embarrassed by the city center. Instead of mindlessly defending this situation you all should be as well.

I think they may have become immune to what they see, you on the other hand have not.

Dublin is my capital city and I want tourists to visit it and I like hearing when theyve had a good time, but its becoming more and more common to hear that tourists have been hounded for one reason or another,
    One friend got hounded by the tracksuits for being too big and too muscley and too many tattoos, now this guy can handle himself no problem but he was genuinely scared of these pack of vermin.

I have seen drug deals in the middle of the street (connolly) while we watched from the tourist bus, with all the tourists watching their first drug deal as their first experience of Ireland.

I have decided from this year im not going to send anybody to dublin and if I do I will recommend only one night and get the hell out to the west.

Dubliners, you really need to wake up to what is happening in the city before its too late, maybe its too late as it is.

It's a total disgraceful embarrassment. There is no discussion to be had. Something has to be done.

1. Much more visible police presence. Parking a garda van for the day and leaving it empty in the center of O'Connell St is like something out of Father Ted given what goes on around it.

2. A completely separate police force specifically for Dublin.

3. More prison places and mandatory sentencing.

4. Remove the meth clinics from the city center.

Number 4 should be an absolute minimum and should be done right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

I Come from the parts you read about in the papers nearly every day . Dublin is like any other:D city just stay street wise and you will be safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement