Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish tumour

Options
  • 17-08-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey fishy friends:)
    Have had a 50L cold water tank for bout 10 years now and 3 goldfish swimming in rectangles. One of them developed a bump over his right eye bout 18 months ago and it's slowly gotten bigger since. He still feeds fine and doesn't suffer much from it I hope,just crashes into tank on that side a bit. Lately the bump/lump/tumour seems to have grown a bit quicker and sort of changed color some! Basically it looks a lot nastier...I feel sorry for the little dude.even the other 2 fish are bullying him now
    So was wondering if anyone has had this problem before. Not personally I mean but with their goldfish! Any ideas on treatment??
    If I knew he wasn't in pain or anything I'd let him on but don't like the idea of him dying a painful death so hopefully there's something can help
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

First thing would be a much larger tank, for 3 goldies I think you'd need at least a 300l tank, probably closer to 450/600l. Goldfish really belong in ponds rather than tanks...

I've no idea what the exact problem is with the fish but the first thing I'd try would be eSHa 2000. It's a good wide range anti-biotic for fish and won't harm anything else you have in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 huwants2no

Sleepy wrote: »
    First thing would be a much larger tank, for 3 goldies I think you'd need at least a 300l tank, probably closer to 450/600l. Goldfish really belong in ponds rather than tanks...

I've no idea what the exact problem is with the fish but the first thing I'd try would be eSHa 2000. It's a good wide range anti-biotic for fish and won't harm anything else you have in the tank.

Holy S%#t
    That tank would be bigger then the bath...maybe I'll just put them in there!
    Seriously though I couldn't fit never mind afford one that big. I didn't think they needed that much space. Think I'll take a pic and show the guy at the local pet store,see what he thinks.
    I'd post a couple pics on here but I'm not allowed post pics yet!! Pity would of been great for identifying his bump
    Thanks for posting Sleepy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

huwants2no wrote: »
    Holy S%#t
    That tank would be bigger then the bath...maybe I'll just put them in there!
    Seriously though I couldn't fit never mind afford one that big. I didn't think they needed that much space. Think I'll take a pic and show the guy at the local pet store,see what he thinks.
    I'd post a couple pics on here but I'm not allowed post pics yet!! Pity would of been great for identifying his bump
    Thanks for posting Sleepy:)

Goldfish will get about 10"-12" long. They really need a minimum of about 120L per fish.

Most local pet shops are, sadly, underinformed about what fish need.

This is a regular petshop goldfish in a 100L tank, he could not turn around without his tail hitting the back of the tank. At this time he was about 8" long. I rehomed him to a member here with a pond.
    WP_000463.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24 huwants2no

Really didn't know they needed so much space and like you said I've never been advised from a pet store that my 54L tank wasn't suitable
    Gonna have to rethink this one!
    2 of the fish bully and chase the other guy around the tank a lot too. Never noticed it before tbh. Maybe that's down to lack of space too
    Anyway thanks for sharing your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Generally, unless your advice has come from staff in either Seahorse Aquariums or Artane Aquatics, google it. The advice I've been given by staff in almost every pet shop has been disappointingly ignorant. There are exceptions of course but for the most part, it's surprising if they can even identify the fish they're selling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement