Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon BBC 2 Monday 9pm: 'should I eat meat'

Options
  • 17-08-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

This might be of interest ...

Horizon, who normally make great documentaries, is screening a 2 part documentary related to vegetarianism. Part 1 is tomorrow at 9 PM.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Starting now bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

As far as nutritional documentaries go, it's kind of all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

18 mins in...

Comparing meat with vegetarian alternatives. Hmmm.... Where is fruit & vegetables? Pet hate of mine is people assuming a vegan 'replaces' meat with something else. No, I omit the meat from my diet.

19 mins

Vegetarian options dont have B12 - of course, you have no vegetables there you numpties!

That annoyed me too, like you sit down to eat a plate of tofu with not a single piece of veg in sight. Whereas meat is eaten on its own in a lot of dishes, burgers, sausages or ribs usually served with non nutritionally dense food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

From a vegetarian poit of view, it was disappointingly uninformative.

He's done better documentaries in the past.

31 min
    Families bond around meat on the table. Seriously :D Our family bonds around each other regardless of what is on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

only caught the last 17 minutes and wasnt impressed.

I thought the ending was good. For me, what other people choose impacts 1 thing only, the welfare of animals. The program finishing with 'we should all eat as little processed meat as possible' is great as this rules out so many forms of nonsense food that you just wouldn't normally eat. In turn, less animal mistreatment.

He also finished with 'eat more vegetables'. Again, this is in place of meat so fine by me.

From a personal perspective I already know how bad meat was so nothing new there. Was amazed at the statement at the start that chicken is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I saw a brief interview with him on the news that morning talking about t,he show and cringed all the way through it, not gutted I missed it from reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

part 2 tonight what effect is producing meat having on the planet

Horrified at the cow with the hatch cut out into one of it's stomachs. Awful stuff altogether.

Oh no cows on feed lots now. Horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

ch750536 wrote: »
    18 mins in...

Comparing meat with vegetarian alternatives. Hmmm.... Where is fruit & vegetables? Pet hate of mine is people assuming a vegan 'replaces' meat with something else. No, I omit the meat from my diet.

I replace it with potato.

To be honest resources for veggies trying to be healthy are provided by us alone. Everywhere you look there is nutritional info for meat eaters. Us no.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd be more interested if they had focused more on vitamins like B12 which is difficult for vegans to get and also difficult for everybody over a certain age to get from any food, need supplements.

It was actually better than i thought insofar that it was looking at more recent research and still painting meat in a bad light

Advertisement