Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seam sealing a tent

Options
  • 17-08-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭

2nd time using my new tent, a Gelert Mistral 2. Was camping last night, heavy enough rain an sprung a leak - right above the ventilation spot at the rear, so a drip-drip had to be sorted by placing a goretex jacket over the inner tent and diverting the drip away. Sorted the problem and we got a nights sleep.

Put the tent up in the back garden and I've pin pointed where the leaks come from. The tent came with a tube of seam sealer (generic / unbranded) but hasn't done much good.

I've ordered 2 tubes of McNetts Seam Grip which from online reviews comes recommended. What's people's opinion on sealing external seams with this? Looks like sealing externally would be more a sure fire way - less complicated seam / joint arrangement. Would obviously seal the seams internally as well for a 2nd defense. Not worried about aesthetics of seams externally - more important i stay dry - and will be masking them off before applying to ensure it's a neat job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    2nd time using my new tent, a Gelert Mistral 2. Was camping last night, heavy enough rain an sprung a leak - right above the ventilation spot at the rear, so a drip-drip had to be sorted by placing a goretex jacket over the inner tent and diverting the drip away. Sorted the problem and we got a nights sleep.

Put the tent up in the back garden and I've pin pointed where the leaks come from. The tent came with a tube of seam sealer (generic / unbranded) but hasn't done much good.

I've ordered 2 tubes of McNetts Seam Grip which from online reviews comes recommended. What's people's opinion on sealing external seams with this? Looks like sealing externally would be more a sure fire way - less complicated seam / joint arrangement. Would obviously seal the seams internally as well for a 2nd defense. Not worried about aesthetics of seams externally - more important i stay dry - and will be masking them off before applying to ensure it's a neat job.

The seam grip will do the job no problem my mate sealed his waders after getting loads if holes and haven't had any problems
    Where did u buy it? Can only find it on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

realrebel wrote: »
    The seam grip will do the job no problem my mate sealed his waders after getting loads if holes and haven't had any problems
    Where did u buy it? Can only find it on the net

Cheers for that rebel, sounds promising.

I think I bought it in ramblers way on Mary street (Dublin, off capel st) - would need to check, it was bought last year

Advertisement