Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest Festival 2014

Options
  • 17-08-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭

Schedule of events now up on the website (http://www.waterfordharvestfestival.ie/), looking forward to checking out the craft beer fest. Seems like it is more local this year, hopefully overall the mistakes of last year have been learned from and this years festival is a good one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

As far as I know they have reverted back to the original team behind it after last years event.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Last year was awful disappointing, let's hope it's back to what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Brochure looks good for this year, seems to have returned to its roots a bit, hope the weather shines now.

https://www.facebook.com/waterfordharvest?ref=ts&fref=ts

There's a BEER FESTIVAL too! Happy Days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

i get an error when i visit the website?

A PHP Error was encountered
    Severity: Warning

Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/harvest/public_html/system/expressionengine/controllers/ee.php:145)

Filename: core/Common.php

Line Number: 442

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

i get an error when i visit the website?

A PHP Error was encountered
    Severity: Warning

Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/harvest/public_html/system/expressionengine/controllers/ee.php:145)

Filename: core/Common.php

Line Number: 442

If you're clicking on the link in the OP just delete the brackets. should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hi people, I keep hearing how bad last year was. Can anyone explain why? Im just curious as I missed last year due to illness and every other year was o great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hi people, I keep hearing how bad last year was. Can anyone explain why? Im just curious as I missed last year due to illness and every other year was o great..

Essentially they gave the running of it to a Dublin based event management company , who did it their way and their prices, didn't go down well at all, not supported and the result was a ball of ****e, lesson learned one hopes.

They do seem to have turned it around this year and the feedback seems to be good for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I remember the 1st Harvest Festival (not that it was decades ago, it was probably only 3 or 4 years) but the quay was a great place to be for the big Saturday/Sunday market. The organizers were actually worried that at a certain point of the day it would have been too crowded and been unsafe. So many stalls regarding food and arts were there, and plenty of choice. Also included a free gig on the Saturday night aswell.

Roll onto last year, and it was a big difference. The food stalls were small, lack of options and lack of local restaurants. The area outside the Glass felt way too open, and almost dead, as the food stands were just segregated into little squares, instead of being spread out. The area in the carpark was nice - fine big marquee and drink, but again - very lacking in local products anywhere (unless Dinky Donuts are made in the City).

We went to a talk in the Town Hall - Cost 15euro - called the Theatre Of Food. What the site said: "Harvest Festival welcomes its first Theatre of Food event in 2013. A dedicated food area, Theatre of Food serves as a homage to all things gastronomic, with a host of activities including food demos from some of Ireland’s leading chefs, wine tasting, food sampling, demos, cookery tips and more from a who’s who of Ireland’s chefs, food writers and bloggers."

What we got was a chef trying to figure out how the controls on the stove worked for half an hour and hastily cooked 2 meals. With the tasters you could literally pick up with one toothpick what was handed out. That was it. Never again.

I of course hope that this years will be a lot better, and return to its roots of a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I think it definitely lost its way last year. The 2012 event was superb, so all they need to do is the same as they did then, and then pray the weather will be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

comeraghs wrote: »
    They do seem to have turned it around this year and the feedback seems to be good for 2014.

That's great to hear Paul.
    Looking forward to this years festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Lads can we name the organiser for the event last year? They really did make a hames of it and shouldnt really get away with it scot free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Can anyone tell me what road closures are in place? Can't seem to find decent info on it. From the Harvest website it looks like the Mall is closed all weekend, and from the Bus Eireann website it says the Quay is closed on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

O Riain wrote: »
    Lads can we name the organiser for the event last year? They really did make a hames of it and shouldnt really get away with it scot free!

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what road closures are in place? Can't seem to find decent info on it. From the Harvest website it looks like the Mall is closed all weekend, and from the Bus Eireann website it says the Quay is closed on Sunday?

If you go on to the Council website - waterfordcouncil.ie there's a link there to road closures for harvest festival.

For some reason this site won't let me post the link directly so I've done the best I can here:

Road closure information can be found here : waterfordcouncil dot ie/en/Resident/Parking,Travel,and,Roads/News/MainBody,48111,en.html

But please note that Bolton Street car park will NOT be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭amber69

Is there a beer tent this year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The Mall certainly is today (from the Bishops Palace/Parnell St junction to to the Dunmore Road junction).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

amber69 wrote: »
    Is there a beer tent this year

Baileys New Street

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

So far it seems better than last year but not as good as the year before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Good atmosphere down there today. Went down and had lunch watching the excellent Ashley Sheehan playing while sun was shining. Plenty of food selections and prices reasonable. Well done to all involved. Looking forward to park tomorrow with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lovely evening in at the festival tonight, funny moment when one of the pigs escaped and was chased down while King Kong Company was playing.

Beer festival a little disappointing, not enough tables and seats being the main quibble. Some lovely craft beers to be had though, and looking forward to sampling some more tomorrow night. Funny seeing people getting Spaten/Carlsberg etc from the Munster though, would have thought the point to paying into a local craft beer even was to take the opportunity to sample the fare the local breweries had on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Anyone notice theres no toilets what so ever on the Mall, had to be nice to those in the Theatre Royal to use their toilets. Surely toilets are a must when theres drinks and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

KevIRL wrote: »
    Lovely evening in at the festival tonight, funny moment when one of the pigs escaped and was chased down while King Kong Company was playing.

Beer festival a little disappointing, not enough tables and seats being the main quibble.

Noticed that earlier as I walked through there. 4 tables with 6 chairs each in total. Still judging from some of the texts and FB posts it sounds like great crack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

There's toilets up because Bishops Palace.
    Place looked great tonight, looking forward to seeing more tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Will be there from around 12 onwards Saturday ..........looking forward to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Harvest traffic chaos....
    The main traffic artery through town closed for what exactly?
    Was the Bolton st car park too big for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

KevIRL wrote: »

Just saw this on facebook and its very funny :D

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204570332961194

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Harvest traffic chaos....
    The main traffic artery through town closed for what exactly?
    Was the Bolton st car park too big for them?

Because in your mind city's are for cars not people right? I reckon there're was more people walking on the mall today than drive it in a week.

The harvest festival is about people having fun, for us to enjoy our city, to take time out and for the rest of the country to see that this is a great city than knows how to have a great time!

And if you think that a little traffic delay is to great a price for that then your head ain't screwed on right.

On a positive note, where do I get hot rod decals for my wheelbarrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Across the bridge, up bridge st, across Ballybricken, down castle st, out Johnstown. It usually take me 12 mins to get to work, today it took me 13 mins.

Advertisement