Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest Festival 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

As someone who uses The Mall to drive to and from work, I have no issue with it being closed for a few days. There's plenty of alternate routes which cause no additional delays to getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

While the detour by the park is a bit annoying (school time Friday afternoon was a bit of a PITA), it's hardly a 18 mile round trip..

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

While I think the festival is great for city why they need to close the mall I don't know.
    The first year they had it on quay was grand or they could use centre of town.
    To see the alternative route for the heavy traffic pass up by 8 schools in total last Thursday and Friday was madness don't know how there was not an accident the roads around park are bad enough on a normal school day never mind all the traffic extra due to the Mall being closed for few days

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Newfoundland were outstanding at the beer festival last night

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

The bands at the craft beer festival were indeed fantastic . I was surprised it all finished up at ten o'clock thought they could have done with a DJ /music till later. I paid in at about nine o'clock not realising there was only an hour left . Also could have done with tables and chairs , but a great atmosphere all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the festival today. I especially admired the colourful wheelbarrows dotted around the place. They were planted with herbs and looked amazing. Does anyone know if these are for sale or who makes them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

MillyD123 wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the festival today. I especially admired the colourful wheelbarrows dotted around the place. They were planted with herbs and looked amazing. Does anyone know if these are for sale or who makes them ??

Ballybeg Greens made the wheelbarrows for the festival, they looked fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Thanks minibear. I'll get in touch with them !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Firstly, I'm a blow in from Dublin so go easy!

Secondly, it always surprises me the amount of negativity on this forum. Waterford is ravaged by unemployment, the recession etc... yet some local folk, in conjunction with Waterford City Council, put on great festivals such as this, Oktoberfest Beag, Spraoi, Winterval etc... For a small city you sure punch way above your weight! There are a lot of really good things going on in Waterford, and with regard to yesterday, it's nice that positive news is to the fore about the city.

Spent yesterday afternoon in at the Harvest Festival with the other half and two young kids and had a ball. Great weather, large crowds, great food and drink, fantastic music, ample parking, roads closed off to allow easy movement for pedestrians and no feeling that anyone was trying to rip us off.

A seriously good afternoon was had by us and the people we net. With the crowds around town yesterday, and the feel good atmosphere, it seems the festival was embraced by all.

Raging I'll be missing Oktoberfest but Winterval has been great the last couple of years so we'll be inviting family down to it again this year.

Congrats to organisers of Harvest Festival, we had a fantastic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Harvest festival was fantastic again, really well organised, weather helped of course. usual minority amount of complainers, (Mall closed) but sure if they moved it to carpark, they would complain that its too far from heart of city centre/shopping area/VT.

Metalman's 'Can Prototype No.1' was highlight for me, delicious. Bought bit of local produce too, sourdough bread, honey etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Firstly, I'm a blow in from Dublin so go easy!

Secondly, it always surprises me the amount of negativity on this forum. Waterford is ravaged by unemployment, the recession etc... yet some local folk, in conjunction with Waterford City Council, put on great festivals such as this, Oktoberfest Beag, Spraoi, Winterval etc... For a small city you sure punch way above your weight! There are a lot of really good things going on in Waterford, and with regard to yesterday, it's nice that positive news is to the fore about the city.

Spent yesterday afternoon in at the Harvest Festival with the other half and two young kids and had a ball. Great weather, large crowds, great food and drink, fantastic music, ample parking, roads closed off to allow easy movement for pedestrians and no feeling that anyone was trying to rip us off.

A seriously good afternoon was had by us and the people we net. With the crowds around town yesterday, and the feel good atmosphere, it seems the festival was embraced by all.

Raging I'll be missing Oktoberfest but Winterval has been great the last couple of years so we'll be inviting family down to it again this year.

Congrats to organisers of Harvest Festival, we had a fantastic time.

Nice one Bobby, there is occasionally posts from outside the SE on here saying how great a time they had at an event here but unfortunately, Irish people love to whinge no matter what because on here we have a couple of know it alls on how to run an event, carry out civil engineering works, get things done in politics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Max Powers wrote: »
    Harvest festival was fantastic again, really well organised, weather helped of course. usual minority amount of complainers, (Mall closed) but sure if they moved it to carpark, they would complain that its too far from heart of city centre/shopping area/VT.

Metalman's 'Can Prototype No.1' was highlight for me, delicious. Bought bit of local produce too, sourdough bread, honey etc.

Loved that drink too but found by the end there was a real taste of treacle to it. Great drink though and would love to see what it's like in cans.

...and there's another success story that Waterford has, it's microbreweries. In Metalman you have one of the best Irish Pale Ale's and a drink that stands up to what breweries internationally have to offer and with Dungarvan you have fantastic drinks packaged and marketed to the highest levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I fully agree that the mall should be closed, it was lovely seeing tourists walk out of Waterford Crystal and just saying wow!

but I parked in short course and when i was packing the kids back into the car a woman stopped her car, she was in tears, she was coming from dunmore east, going to Rosslare, she had made 2 mistakes taking the detour and spent 40 going around in circles.

when she calmed down, she followed me over the bridge and I hope she made her ferry.

I know this happens every time there's a detour but the signage is so important.

I hate those signs that don't come into town but that lady would have been much better off taking a left at the hospital and following the ring road to carrickpherish.

anyway i loved festival, was just big enough to see everything in a few hours. the helpers in new st gardens were so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Must say yesterday was the first time I took the kids to new street gardens. It is a great spot to have in the city centre.
    Lots going on there for kids they spent ages making noise on the drums guy running it was lovely. Also puppet show and load of other stuff going on there.
    Great to see something that was all done on a volunteer basis just sorry it took me so long to take the kids in to it as have been told lots went on there over the summer.
    Roll on now Winterval its only 100 Days to Xmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Brilliant weekend. Plain brilliant.

Thanks and congratulations to everybody concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Great Festival yet again looking forward to 2015!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheSelf

Great festival. Good selection of foods washed down with a range of craft beers. Particularly liked the Chameleon Equinox and Barrelhead Porter..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Got into Cathedral Square for a venison blaa and saw some tangoing. Later on picked up a friend at the station and got down to the Mall to hear Newfoundland, and eat bratwurst and falafel. Terrific buzz, just a real pity I didn't get in for the Sunday :(

Cracking festival though... well done to the organisers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

It was my first year going to this and I loved it! Already can't wait for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

• Advertisement
Advertisement