Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recoup costs when seller pulls out?

Options
  • 17-08-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

went sale agreed on a house three months ago and this week they decided to pull out of the sale. apart from the obvious frustrations this has cost money between surveys, valuations, solicitors etc. they never signed a contract so I know no comeback on the house but can they be held responsible for the money I have spent or do I just get on with it and forget about this wasted money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In a word, no. The surveys etc would be required for any other purchaser anyway so are not really wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

This is not a consumer issue. Moved to Accommodation & Property where it might be more relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

In a word, no. The surveys etc would be required for any other purchaser anyway so are not really wasted.

Of course they are wasted for the OP , they are no use to him now!

OP this is one of main issues with buyers position in this process, they are completed exposed should the seller pull out pre contract signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I should have mentioned that I was the buyer so anything I have paid for won't be kept for the next unfortunate person

jon1981 wrote:
    OP this is one of main issues with buyers position in this process, they are completed exposed should the seller pull out pre contract signing.

unfortunately thought as much, this is second house now, so annoying!!

should be the seller that pays for reports etc like they do with BER cert , save potential buyer loosing out or buyers should they do this again to someone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Seller can pull out, buyer can do same up to contract signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

VandC wrote: »
    unfortunately thought as much, this is second house now, so annoying!!

should be the seller that pays for reports etc like they do with BER cert , save potential buyer loosing out or buyers should they do this again to someone else!

The benefit of you paying for reports is that the surveyor is working for you, if seller was responsible, the report may be biased toward the seller's opinion of the property.

Unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be, this cuts both ways, if you pulled out the seller would have to pay to advertise again. Until the contracts are signed, both parties can walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

You could ask the agent to try appealing to the vendor's better nature but unfortunately no, they do not have any obligation at all.

Thanks all for the input, hopefully they see some sense or else third time lucky... hopefully

Advertisement