Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Road Trip - Chicago to New Orleans

Options
  • 17-08-2014 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

Heading on a road trip from Chicago to New Orleans in November this year.

Pretty much have the end of the trip mapped out, or at least the big cities.

The plan is Nashville to Memphis to Baton Rouge to New Orleans.

The part I need advice on is, if we should head to St Louis from Chicago, or head east to Indianapolis or Cincinnati, before heading onto Nashville?

Anyone been to any of those cities?

Looking for recommendations please...all tips appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

My ex-wife is from st.louis, i've been there a fair amount.

Honestly not a lot to recommend it however I think its probably more interesting than Indy or Cincinnati.

There's the river boats and the Arch...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I absolutely LOVE New Orleans. Its a good choice of destination and I'd say by far and away the most interesting city on your trip.

I'd be tempted to skip Memphis and just do Nashville. Its for the music right?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

If you're not a fan of country music there isn't a lot to Nashville. I'm personally not a fan of Memphis either, Beale Street feels like a tourist mall and beyond that it's not a particularly beautiful or interesting city. In this part of the country you're more likely to find atmosphere and points of interest in small towns in my opinion, especially once you get south of Arkansas. If you have any interest in Mark Twain one town I can recommend is Hannibal Missouri. It was his boyhood home and was a setting for large parts of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Many of the locations in the books are still existant and it's a pleasant little town on the banks of the Mississippi to spend an evening in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I'm from Illinois. My dad is in Memphis. My sister is in Nashville. We all used to live in Missouri.

I would recommend taking 57 (originates in Chicago) down through central Illinois then heading west to St. Louis then drive down to Memphis and then over to Nashville.

or

Go from 57 then 74 to Indianapolis. Then down to Nashville then over to Memphis.

Nashville and Indy are eastward. Memphis and St. Louis are westward.

Advertisement