Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

While Di Maria had a fantastic year, I'm not convinced he has been world class any other year at Real? Besides this year he often feel into the category of 'don't get the hype' for me. Players like Nani and Valencia have had years where they have appeared to be world class but it ultimately proved to be short lived, I dunno why but I just get a similar feeling with Di Maria - has he been consistently world class for a number of years as one would expect for a 50 million pound player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Montroseee wrote: »
    While Di Maria had a fantastic year, I'm not convinced he has been world class any other year at Real? Besides this year he often feel into the category of 'don't get the hype' for me. Players like Nani and Valencia have had years where they have appeared to be world class but it ultimately proved to be short lived, I dunno why but I just get a similar feeling with Di Maria - has he been consistently world class for a number of years as one would expect for a 50 million pound player?

I'm not going to pretend I watch Real religiously, but Di Maria has been impressing me when I've seen him for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

While the quoted price is indeed on the higher end of the scale. He'd easily improve our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

DiMaria is a quality player, he's just one of those players I'm not a fan of. I don't think it's wise to spend that much money into his position, rather see wing backs and centre midfield fixed first. I don't see him as the fix but hey I could be proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Eurosport Eurobot update saying Sporting have been offered Anderson as part of the Rojo deal, Sporting want Nani but he don't want to go home. This is going to be a long two weeks of will we or won't we get him,him,that guy etc.

• Advertisement

Anderson? Are they trying to dissuade Sporting from going through with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

kryogen wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if nothing came from his crosses, that is no way to judge a good cross!
    If the cross is good it will create something.

Nani made four in total.

The first was easily caught by the keeper as it was close to him and not a UTD player, poor.

The second was waist high and e asily cut out by the defender, poor.

The third was from deep, not accurate and came back out from the CB'S knees, very poor.

The fourth was slightly overhit, Fellanin from the backpost managed to nod it into the danger area, the resulting shot was blocked and cleared, only for Fellains height it was possibly going out for a throw, again poor.

Nani created zilch. He worked has but his crossing was poor. He got them off, thats about all you can say for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anderson? Are they trying to dissuade Sporting from going through with it?

Cut his hair and he looks like Nani from real far away. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Sky Sports reporting: Reports coming out of Spain claim Bayern Munich are stepping up their interest in Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin. Bayern's sporting director Michael Reschke is set to to travel to the Spanish capital to hold talks with Atletico over a possible move.

Might be good news on Benetia front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Nani created zilch. He worked has but his crossing was poor. He got them off, thats about all you can say for them.

If only Valencia remembered how to do that :p

• Advertisement

Cut his hair and he looks like Nani from real far away. :P

Yeah just send him over in a number 17 shirt and pop him into one of these:

21f366dd62c4232e240865445b5e8e431022270d_r.jpg

By the time they notice something is wrong it will be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Manchester United and the curious case of the transfer of Arturo Vidal
    Jamie Jackson

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/18/arturo-vidal-manchester-united-louis-van-gaal-juventus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

twam2008 wrote: »
    Sky Sports reporting: Reports coming out of Spain claim Bayern Munich are stepping up their interest in Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin. Bayern's sporting director Michael Reschke is set to to travel to the Spanish capital to hold talks with Atletico over a possible move.

Might be good news on Benetia front.

I'm refusing to listen to any more of these rumours. Yesterday Reschke was in Rome to sign Benatia and now he's in Madrid. Bayern need a defender and papers are throwing names at random. Same way we were linked to nearly the whole Dutch WC squad over the summer just because of LVG. 2 + 2 = 27 when it comes to sports journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/gavhol90/statuses/501324604317896705

Surely that can't be true?

https://twitter.com/robshepherd5/statuses/501374866973810688

You're in for it now, Woody.

Also, cool that tweets are now embedded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nothing was created from Nanis crosses. I don't know where the 50% of good crosses is coming from.

Creatively it was lacking quality. Using the 45min in a struggling team in the first game of the season line is wrong. How long has Nani been at UTD, how many chanes has he had and how many question marks are still over him?

My opinion is that he has never had a long run, I don't think he actually has played 6-7 back to back games in his time at UTD. I'd give him that chance and if he can't produce better than he'd go on the outbound list.

Its last chance saloon time though.

He put in 4 crosses. 2 were good and 2 were poor. 50% strike rate on putting in good crosses. The fact that nothing came of those good crosses, is not a valid criticism of Nani's quality of output.

Fúck all question marks hang over him regarding his quality (what you brought up) and consistency (the old favourite of his critics) for me. The fact that other people question his ability and consistency is of no consequence to me. The majority of football fans think silly things.

I do question his ability to stay fit after the last few years, and I question why Fergie seemed to take such a disliking to him. Maybe he is a shít to deal with in the dressing room and in training. On the pitch I've no doubts about him.

He had a plenty of long runs in the team from January of 09/10 until January of 11/12. So he has already had a chance at the club. He took that chance as well as you could want a player to, he was class. If you weren't convinced by that spell then I doubt there would be any point in you seeing him given another chance now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Manchester United and the curious case of the transfer of Arturo Vidal
    Jamie Jackson

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/18/arturo-vidal-manchester-united-louis-van-gaal-juventus

Fascinating.

If we don't sign Vidal or a player of his calibre before the window shuts, serious questions will have to be asked of the club and of Van Gaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

We have a fundamental difference of opinion here. I see no point in arguing it out with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lots of graft but a massive lack of qaulity. If you watch it from an is he good enough for UTD perspective then you'd have to say no.

Yeah but you would be moving the goalposts, in the context of the match Nani played well.

He's not worth £50m in my view, but then I don't think any player is.

Can you name any winger who has been consistently world class for years on end? It seems to me it's a position where players will often get shunted around by their managers and scapegoated by their fans for failures from other players in their team.

twam2008 wrote: »
    Oh come on, we spent all of last Summer trying to get Fabregas, gave up and then bought Mata in January and Jose snaps up Fabregas with ease, Mata is an excellent player but Fabregas is better.

Fabregas has never done anything close to what Mata did at Chelsea in the last 3 years Mata has been far superior.

A lot of the digs thrown at Mata could apply to Cesc who else was in for him and Enrique wanted to get rid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

beno619 wrote: »
    Fabregas has never done anything close to what Mata did at Chelsea in the last 3 years Mata has been far superior.

A lot of the digs thrown at Mata could apply to Cesc who else was in for him and Enrique wanted to get rid.

Yeah, and Mourinho's an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Fascinating.

If we don't sign Vidal or a player of his calibre before the window shuts, serious questions will have to be asked of the club and of Van Gaal.

Van Gaal said that a player can be signed in 24 hours, no problem. You reckon that was a dig at Woodward?

It certainly will be if United don't buy the players needed (or wanted by Van Gaal) before the end of the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Fascinating.

So are you saying we are not now signing Vidal
    You said it was all in place, you claimed it was agreed and the FX rates had been fixed and hedged
    That’s some come down

My sources say it’ still going ahead, and we’re signing Messi, Ronaldo, Lahm, Hummels, Thiago Silva, Vidal, Strootman, Pogba, Robben and the big one….. ZLATAN

BTW I haven’t a clue what I’m talking about, I’m not ITK and have not sources to suggest any of this is true….

That is a ridiculous thing to say. You are fundamentally wrong in how you judge the quality of crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

brinty wrote: »
    You said it was all in place, you claimed it was agreed and the FX rates had been fixed and hedged
    That’s some come down

My sources say it’ still going ahead, and we’re signing Messi, Ronaldo, Lahm, Hummels, Thiago Silva, Vidal, Strootman, Pogba, Robben and the big one….. ZLATAN

BTW I haven’t a clue what I’m talking about, I’m not ITK and have not sources to suggest any of this is true….

*grabs popcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

J. Marston wrote: »

would have a feeling he is only putting 2 + 2 together here and hitting the jackpot - Woodward is public enemy number 1 now at the club so every journalist will be out to have a quick fix in terms of writing a story.

i expect problems between Woodward and LVG, but further down the line and not this soon.

That’s some come down

Major case of straw manning going on there. I didn't say that. Read the post - I said "If we don't...".

Re Mata, the love for him on these pages bears no relation at all to his performance as a United player so far.

Similarly, you'll note that Jackson in the Guardian (i.e. not a sensationalist) refers to Ander Herrera "continuing his disappointing pre-season form on Saturday". But based on these pages, you'd think that he was going great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Major case of straw manning going on there. I didn't say that. Read the post - I said "If we don't...".

Re Mata, the love for him on these pages bears no relation at all to his performance as a United player so far.

Similarly, you'll note that Jackson in the Guardian (i.e. not a sensationalist) refers to Ander Herrera "continuing his disappointing pre-season form on Saturday". But based on these pages, you'd think that he was going great.

So are we or are we not signing Vidal
    Get off the fence

• Advertisement

So are we or are we not signing Vidal
    Get off the fence

I believe that we are.

Pro. F wrote: »
    He put in 4 crosses. 2 were good and 2 were poor. 50% strike rate on putting in good crosses. The fact that nothing came of those good crosses, is not a valid criticism of Nani's quality of output.

Fúck all question marks hang over him regarding his quality .

If you think that video shows a 50% strike rate of good crosses then you well and truly have the rose tinted glasses on.

Many question marks hanging over him. His attitude, ability etc etc

He is constantly questioned on here. A bizzare thing to say really.
    kryogen wrote: »
    We have a fundamental difference of opinion here. I see no point in arguing it out with you.

Fair enough but I'd say the same as I said to Pro F. If you think that video shows a good crossing display your standards are in the gutter.
    Yeah but you would be moving the goalposts, in the context of the match Nani played well.

No I'm not. If you followed my reply to the video from the start you'd see the first thing I said was Nani worked hard and in the context of people saying he did nothing the video was fine to prove that wrong.

He grafted and worked hard but lack quality in the final third. I've said it from the start and not changed so either keep up or stop with the stupid moving the goal posts accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just because he's not a sensationalist doesn't mean he's not a bad judge of a footballer. Think people can sometimes put these journalists up on pedestals and mistakenly think they know everything about the game when in reality there's actually people on message boards like this that are more knowledgeable. His opinion on Herrera is precisely that. His opinion, not fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Herrera might not have been great but he was the only one in cm looking for the ball all the time. I thought we were worse off without him on the pitch.

That is a ridiculous thing to say. You are fundamentally wrong in how you judge the quality of crosses.

No I'm not but you are.

The video shows Nanis crosses getting cut out bar one which a player struggled to reach. A good cross will tick a few boxes. Must be timed well, accurate and too and from a dangerous area. Then something will happen.

Not one of Nanis crosses in the video meet all the criteria.

Pighead wrote: »
    Just because he's not a sensationalist doesn't mean he's not a bad judge of a footballer. Think people can sometimes put these journalists up on pedestals and mistakenly think they know everything about the game when in reality there's actually people on message boards like this that are more knowledgeable. His opinion on Herrera is precisely that. His opinion, not fact.

Fair point. I think that Herrera looked good in the States. Not great on Saturday but nobody really covered themselves in glory.

• Advertisement

If you think that video shows a 50% strike rate of good crosses then you well and truly have the rose tinted glasses on.

Talk about selective quoting! I addressed all of those points regarding what others question about him, his attitude, etc, but you cut off my post in the middle of a sentence and then called it bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Herrera might not have been great but he was the only one in cm looking for the ball all the time. I thought we were worse off without him on the pitch.

Agree. While Fellaini was ok when he came on (elbow aside), Fletcher should have made way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

interesting..so this would suggest that Blind is not a primary target and we are working on something else.
    Rob Dawson ‏@RobDawsonMEN 1h
    Spoken to Daley Blind's camp today and they insist they haven't had any contact with Man United. Still time, but nothing yet #MUFC

apart from Rojo bid only last week (one week after Vermalen deal feel through), nothing else confirmed apart from rumours of Di maria and Vidal.

yet, Woodward said one month ago that we have been working on targets for several weeks. something really strange is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Can you name any winger who has been consistently world class for years on end? It seems to me it's a position where players will often get shunted around by their managers and scapegoated by their fans for failures from other players in their team.

Robben and Ribery come to mind

Nani has proved his Ability and Attitude many a time your blatetly ignoring 2 periods where he was our best player and match winner.
    Yes and fans of every other club believe Rafa isnt fit to wear the jersey, they are flat out wrong.

Fair enough but I'd say the same as I said to Pro F. If you think that video shows a good crossing display your standards are in the gutter.

No I'm not. If you followed my reply to the video from the start you'd see the first thing I said was Nani worked hard and in the context of people saying he did nothing the video was fine to prove that wrong.

He grafted and worked hard but lack quality in the final third. I've said it from the start and not changed so either keep up or stop with the stupid moving the goal posts accusations.

The original comment made about Nani was along the lines of him bieng useless on Saturday, Pro F posted a video showing how he was anything but useless.

You ended with
    Lots of graft but a massive lack of quality. If you watch it from an is he good enough for UTD perspective then you'd have to say no.

Id say you've moved the goalpost.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

here is a decent cross.... :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QyPrwDwko

Robson99 wrote: »

Huge question marks over Ribery and his world class status tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

KH25 wrote: »
    Agree. While Fellaini was ok when he came on (elbow aside), Fletcher should have made way.

What I have always thought about Fletcher is that he tries to do stuff he is not capable of, I am all for guys taking responsibility but Fletcher tries passes that simply aren't in his locker, he is more likely to try a long pass than to give it simple to his midfield partner especially since he became a more senior player. I like him as a worker and a hassler and someone for a big game to do a particular job but if your going to have 65% possession then he's exactly what you don't want.
    I could be completely wrong in this and I only watched the game once but Saturday, I thought he should have passed to Herrera a lot more, let the guy with the eye for a pass have the ball, your job is done by getting it.
    Just an opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Quote from VG on MUTV after defeat
    "We make steps and you have to learn from your steps. We are not the champions. Swansea are not champions because they have beaten us. At the end of the season, we will know who is champion and who has learned from the steps we've made."

You would imagine we will bring in a player within the next 4-5 days. Would like to see Daley Blind join us, but judging by interviews he's given saying he's happy at Ajax I would think Rojo is the most likely player, if we are to sign a defender soon.

Huge question marks over Ribery and his world class status tbh.
    Ah come on Ribery is a class act and has been for quiet a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

He's not worth £50m in my view, but then I don't think any player is.

Well largely you are correct, I think it's the most difficult position for a variety of reasons to consistently be world class in. But there are several who have managed to do it and these are really the only wide players worth that kind of money - Robben, Ribery, Bale when he plays there, Sanchez?
    Honestly it hurts just looking at that 50 million price tag.

Robson99 wrote: »

Robben has been poor enough for spells throughout his career. Mostly because of not doing what his managers tell him.

Ribery I don't rate that highly as an out-and-out winger.

Considering age, injuries and attitude in the case of Robben and quality in the case of Ribery, I would take Di Maria ahead of those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

interesting..so this would suggest that Blind is not a primary target and we are working on something else.

apart from Rojo bid only last week (one week after Vermalen deal feel through), nothing else confirmed apart from rumours of Di maria and Vidal.

yet, Woodward said one month ago that we have been working on targets for several weeks. fCK ALLL going on.

FIXED THAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Only 342 hours to go before the window closes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement