Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ferguson I feel has a lot to answer for. The man to get was Mourinho but he knew that Jose would of matched his success or even won more and he didnt want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Can we switch to a formation where we rip up Tom Cleverly's contract and send him off on a boat to China?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liam O wrote: »
    It's hard to let it go when someone who actually had a plan for the Summer is let go and the club descends into a circus for the 2nd season in a row. I didn't think 5 points would be dropped in the first 8 or 9 games and here we are 2 games in and 1 point.

Okay don't let it go.

Moyes got what he deserved.

Van Gaal will too.

Because Moyes had a plan was not a reason to keep him when he was so bad up to April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

- Not sure how anyone can say Di Maria is wasted money after today's match. The lack of pace and penetration was horrendous. The extent of it came in one moment from Valencia for the goal, and in every subsequent attack for the remainder of the game he could do nothing more than turn around and pass it inside.

- Blackett and Jones were pretty much the only players who can hold their heads high after the game.

- I don't care if it's seen as fashionable to bash him, I cannot comprehend how Cleverley is a starting player for Manchester United, even considering the dearth of CM options we have.

****ing hell, today was depressing. Playing like a mid-table team at the moment. More deals have to be made before the end of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Ferguson I feel has a lot to answer for. The man to get was Mourinho but he knew that Jose would of matched his success or even won more and he didnt want that.

:o
    FFS are you serious ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

What?

yabadabado wrote: »
    :o
    FFS are you serious ?

Mourinho was available he would of jumped at the job. Why did Ferguson opt for a novice instead of a proven winner?

Mourinho was available he would of jumped at the job. Why did Ferguson opt for a novice instead of a proven winner?

Charlton didn't want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Probably not for the reasons that you have deduced....

• Advertisement

Drivel.

Just my opinion man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Before everyone goes down the rabbit hole never to return, it's worth noting that this is not our first XI. We're unlikely to have such a bad injury crisis for the rest of the season.

When Evans, Carrick, Raf, Shaw and Herrera get back, coupled with Rojo and Di Maria as new additions, things will look a bit better. This is a rebuilding stage and the last time we did one of those we had Miller, Smith and Kleberson padding out our midfield.

The next month or two may be a bit grim though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

To get back at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Evans Shaw Rafael Herrera Fellaini Carrick Rojo and Di Maria all missing today.

Sure it was ****e today but that's a hell of a lot missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

1 point from 2 games against teams who are likely to be relegated. There is literally nothing positive to take from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Any word on Smallings injury (the injuries are ****ing incredible as usual!) or why Rafael was omitted from the match day squad again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    The problems in possession today were Young (on the wrong side tbf) and Valencia making nothing of the ball in good positions; the lack of pace upfront before Welbeck came on; RVP's and Rooney's lack of hold up play and a lack of incisiveness from midfield.

People flipping out over Fletcher and Cleverley are overlooking all the other more serious problems today. They weren't great (Fletcher was particularly bad), but they did dominate the possession and kept Sunderland pinned back for long spells all game.

When defending the shape still looked ropey, but Blackett and Jones were very good one-on-one and dealing with balls into the box. Smalling did okay while he was on. Young and Valencia still don't look like they know where they're supposed to be defensively. Tbf to Valencia he was assured when he was chasing down runs towards the end.

Both were muck. Fletch was getting dispossed anytime he tired to advance play, Clev did his usual act of not even risking a forward movemnent by picking it up safe areas and knocking it wide or backwards.

Trying to spin it and say they dominted possession is a stretch. There was lots of pointless, sterile moving of the ball in safe areas and zero to little penetration from MF. There was nothing positvie about what the MF duo did today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Okay don't let it go.

Van Gaal will too.

Because Moyes had a plan was not a reason to keep him when he was so bad up to April.
    I was under the impression that the season was pretty much a write off after Bayern, the league probably before. To be still winging it transfer-wise at this stage is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

That was tough to watch, but I think we knew it would be. I'm hoping that when Rafa, Shaw, Rojo, Blackett and Jones are in the back five things will get better. I personally thought Smalling wasn't up to it. We have to get De Jong or similar. Unbelievably good news with Di Maria. Things can only get better.

• Advertisement

Before everyone goes down the rabbit hole never to return, it's worth noting that this is not our first XI. We're unlikely to have such a bad injury crisis for the rest of the season.

When Evans, Carrick, Raf, Shaw and Herrera get back, coupled with Rojo and Di Maria as new additions, things will look a bit better. This is a rebuilding stage and the last time we did one of those we had Miller, Smith and Kleberson padding out our midfield.

The next month or two may be a bit grim though

Our squad will always have injuries. A lot of our players like Raf and Evans always struggle to stay fit and Carrick at 33 shouldn't be a United starter.

This is the biggest load of **** written in this thread this summer and this thread has been a cesspool since July.

Impressive

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Okay don't let it go.

Van Gaal will too.

We would be a lot further down the road to recovery if Moyes had been shipped out earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Just my opinion man.

Yep, I'm entitled to disagree and mock it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I hate saying "the positives of the performance" malarkey but I must say Blackett looks a real talent.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Charlton didn't want him.

No man is bigger than the club, he should of been offered the job shouldnt matter what Charlton thought. No doubt about it if Mourinho was giving the job yous would of had major success, but now I really fear for your club, from an outsider looking in it seems like its been run like a circus. Dont mean to cause offence just putting across my opinion.

• Advertisement

It's hard to let it go when someone who actually had a plan for the Summer is let go and the club descends into a circus for the 2nd season in a row. I didn't think 5 points would be dropped in the first 8 or 9 games and here we are 2 games in and 1 point.
    You were expecting at least 23/27 points from
    Swansea
    Sunderland
    Burnley
    QPR
    Leicester
    West Ham
    Everton
    West Brom
    Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ive seen players in junior football that could do a better job then Cleverley in that midfield.
    Im deadly serious.

He is the Worst Central midfielder ive ever seen playing for Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Would it have been the right decision for Liverpool to sack Rodgers his first season too?

Rodgers started out with a much weaker squad and had less money to spend, so yes it would have been wrong to sack him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The problems in possession today were Young (on the wrong side tbf) and Valencia making nothing of the ball in good positions; the lack of pace upfront before Welbeck came on; RVP's and Rooney's lack of hold up play and a lack of incisiveness from midfield.

People flipping out over Fletcher and Cleverley are overlooking all the other more serious problems today. They weren't great (Fletcher was particularly bad), but they did dominate the possession and kept Sunderland pinned back for long spells all game.

When defending the shape still looked ropey, but Blackett and Jones were very good one-on-one and dealing with balls into the box. Smalling did okay while he was on. Young and Valencia still don't look like they know where they're supposed to be defensively. Tbf to Valencia he was assured when he was chasing down runs towards the end.

Good points.

Cleverley did spend the whole day passing the ball sideways and normally to the player nearest him. It was like a parody at times so people are going to pick up on it. Fletcher did the same, Januzaj also, Mata passed it sideways or backwards.

It looks like the players are re-programming themselves to keeping the ball, resulting in moving up the field slowly when they have numbers or rushing it when outnumbered.

Van Gaal won't be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The tulip should say he doesn't like that nonsense and if young ashley keeps it up he can feck off.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Our squad will always have injuries. A lot of our players like Raf and Evans always struggle to stay fit and Carrick at 33 shouldn't be a United starter.

We can deal with one fullback being injured and one central defender.

Funnily enough, our attackers are in robust health and that's where we have the deepest cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Van Gaal doing himself no favours in the post match interview saying Van Persie should have gotten a penalty and Young didn't dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

He likes Vidal, eh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im not all that mad because we have injury worries but it pisses me off that our second string players are dire

The likes of Tom and Young need to go and you can make an argument for Valenica too.
    Im tired of the rubbish we have at the club tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

****. Lvg just said he likes Vidal.

Rooney should have been put into CM today. Due to injurys etc tell him if he was gonna be in a huff about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Rodgers started out with a much weaker squad and had less money to spend, so yes it would have been wrong to sack him.

Not to forget Liverpool were in superb form in the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Eek he says he likes Vidal :D

I hope Vidal likes him too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

LVG has essentially said we have signed Di Maria but won't be signing Vidal. He said he will let the club accounts a signing when questioned about Di Maria but then said he'd love to sign Vidal or Messi but United cannot sign all players he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We seem to hear this after every shocking result. Yet nothing ever happens.

Well we seem to be signing Di Maria...

****. Lvg just said he likes Vidal.

But will Vidal like Utd??

After watching that crap, id say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Interesting he said he likes Vidal considering that'll fuel more speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Eek he says he likes Vidal :D

I hope Vidal likes him too.

Taught it was funny he mentioned him. Could of picked any player after mentioning Messi but he picked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

My understanding of LVG's interview is that we're signing Messi and Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

FutureGuy wrote: »
    LVG has essentially said we have signed Di Maria but won't be signing Vidal. He said he will let the club accounts a signing when questioned about Di Maria but then said he'd love to sign Vidal or Messi but United cannot sign all players he wants.

Yep it seemed that way. Was as if to day I want this player but I can't have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

adox wrote: »
    Evans Shaw Rafael Herrera Fellaini Carrick Rojo and Di Maria all missing today.

Sure it was ****e today but that's a hell of a lot missing.

Absolutely mad that we have so many players injured at the start of the season.You have to wonder how much the preseason schedule played apart in all of these injuries. All that long distance travel between games is never good. LVG wasn't happy about the schedule. So the powers that be better sit up and take notice for next year.

FutureGuy wrote: »

That's not the way I heard it. He was asked would he like to sign Di Maria. He said yes he would but he'd also like to sign Messi and Vidal but that doesn't mean the players always want to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My understanding of LVG's interview is that we're signing Messi and Vidal.

I agree and when you read between the lines, Ronaldo should be here for the January window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

That's it. I've decided. We're signing Vidal. I don't want anyone saying we're not. Just let me live in a bubble for a few days. I deserve it after that match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement