Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

madcabbage wrote: »
    Interesting he said he likes Vidal considering that'll fuel more speculation.

Did u not hear what he said after that.

He said he likes Messi and Vidal but you can't get everybody at Manchester United. He basically wrote off vidal in a smart way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He said he likes Messi and Vidal but you can't get everybody at Manchester United. He basically wrote off vidal in a smart way.

He only said that so we would be surprised when Vidal is signed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

That's it. I've decided. We're signing Vidal. I don't want anyone saying we're not. Just let me live in a bubble for a few days. I deserve it after that match.

He also mentioned Messi but that's a diversion. He has Robben lined up aswell;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Good points.

Cleverley did spend the whole day passing the ball sideways and normally to the player nearest him. It was like a parody at times so people are going to pick up on it. Fletcher did the same, Januzaj also, Mata passed it sideways or backwards.

It looks like the players are re-programming themselves to keeping the ball, resulting in moving up the field slowly when they have numbers or rushing it when outnumbered.

Van Gaal won't be happy.

Indeed, all the CMs struggled today and lacked incisive passes.

Cleverley was the best of the CMs by a long way, but he will still get the most criticism.

The CM did lack incisiveness, but the biggest issues in possession today was still Young and Valencia not doing enough in possession and the lack of pace and dynamism up front before Welbeck came on. Cleverley will still get the most criticism.

Pro. F wrote: »

Cleverley was the best of the CMs by a long way, but he will still get the most criticism.

The CM did lack incisiveness, but the biggest issues in possession today was still Young and Valencia not doing enough in possession and the lack of pace and dynamism up front before Welbeck came on. Cleverley will still get the most criticism.

Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

But he didn't. He was addressing a question about Di Maria and trying t brush it off.

Not that we are signing Vidal but, he was basically asked would you like to sign x player(Di Maria) and he said of course, but I'd also like to sign y and z as well (Messi and Vidal) but that doesn't mean the players want to come.

He was just doing his best to be non committal about Di Maria until it's announced.

All I really heard is though "I want to sign Vidal, I want to sign Vidal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Man, you have some strange views on football at times. TC was woeful. Weak in possession. No vision on the ball. Picks safe passes back. Cannot find space to receive the ball. He is a nothing player.

Anyone who has played football will tell you the same thing. He is just going through the motions on the pitch. Offers nothing to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That's it. I've decided. We're signing Vidal. I don't want anyone saying we're not. Just let me live in a bubble for a few days. I deserve it after that match.

I'm joining ya. Send me a PM with your details and I'll forward some hallucinogens to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    won't be signing Vidal.

Every cloud has a silver lining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

What I took from that interview was
    We're signing Vidal now, and Messi in January.

From Reddit...
    I would happily let Tom Cleverley date my daughter...

...because there is absolutely no danger of penetration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

10644951_752812081447360_3004671891042077935_n.jpg?oh=9542ec7423c60cdf7d3f55713e7a5a54&oe=5462CF01&__gda__=1415245533_705ce387afdb55959d108da18a407627

stankratz wrote: »
    From Reddit...

LOL :pac:

https://twitter.com/XabiAlonso/status/503596660719882240

"Thanks Fiedo! I wish you the best, even in Man Utd :) never forget the zigzag extra time in Lisbon

Van Gaal doing himself no favours in the post match interview saying Van Persie should have gotten a penalty and Young didn't dive.

He said RVP's could be given and that Young exaggerated after contact was made. Sounds like a fair assessment to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Fascinating that LVG basically put Vidal on the same tier as Messi. There are so many other names he could have chosen to use with Messi but he chose Vidal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Xabi Alonso about Di Maria on twitter...

@XabiAlonso
    Thanks for all noodle! I wish you the best, even in the Man. Utd :) never forget the zigzag extra time in Lisbon.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fascinating that LVG basically put Vidal on the same tier as Messi. There are so many other names he could have chosen to use with Messi but he chose Vidal....

Yep. I was stunned to hear him say Vidal. He must hold him in very high regard. That was blatant flirting.
    Woody!! Where are you? Get in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Neither Cleverley nor Fletcher should be anywhere near that first team. Both are several levels below what is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Man, you have some strange views on football at times. TC was woeful. Weak in possession. No vision on the ball. Picks safe passes back. Cannot find space to receive the ball. He is a nothing player.

Anyone who has played football will tell you the same thing. He is just going through the motions on the pitch. Offers nothing to the team.

And Fletcher was the only thing holding it together in there I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/statuses/503597092611579904

"It's not only Di Maria." At least there'll be a minimum of one more player after Di Maria.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Man, imagine if we sold Rooney, brought in Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As I'm typing this, Di Maria's plane has refueled and is currently taxing at Manchester airport, on its way to go and collect Vidal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Is strange alright. I was expecting Ronaldo and messi.

Slip of the tongue. We must have had some dealing with Vidal behind the scenes and he just dosent want to come.

He was even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Or..because Van Gaal is savy...he's having a joke about all the links with Vidal this summer ?

Minute he said it turned to my Da and said "watch twitter and boards go into meltdown at reading between the lines of a nothing comment "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

F**k yeah. I believe rooney is declining. Losing pace and eye for goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

dougal.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I really don't know if I could handle signing Vidal and Di Maria in the same window. UMD

J. Marston wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/statuses/503597092611579904

"It's not only Di Maria." At least there'll be a minimum of one more player after Di Maria.

When did he say that????

I watche the interview and he didn't say that.

He said he can't talk about di Maria or transfers when they aren't confirmed. My boy eddy was in the dressing room and tht sparked the question.

Then the interviewer ask who are players he likes. Said messi ad Vidal.

When did he say that????

I watche the interview and he didn't say that.

He said he can't talk about di Maria or transfers when they aren't confirmed. My boy eddy was in the dressing room and tht sparked the question.

Then the interviewer ask who are players he likes. Said messi ad Vidal.

Maybe he said it to the press rather than sky?

TheDoc wrote: »
    Or..because Van Gaal is savy...he's having a joke about all the links with Vidal this summer ?

Minute he said it turned to my Da and said "watch twitter and boards go into meltdown at reading between the lines of a nothing comment "

I think you're right but would he not say Ronaldo and Vidal since we have raging boners for Christy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Pool fans would have a field day.

"Ha, typical, not addressing your issues at CM & CB"

• Advertisement

That makes sense. I read it like head taking it out of context.

TheDoc wrote: »

A few light hearted comments on his words on boards is hardly meltdown. I don't think anyone here has seriously taken anything from it.

But he did say he wants to sign Vidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So your usual and baffaling defense of Clev after his latest **** show is to no longer say he played well but now your starting to point out MFs who were worse.

Yeah thats great for UTD. Clev should get that new contract, somebody was worse than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Glory Glory Man United
    This team really is the bloody ****eiest
    If we don't sign some full backs
    And Give Ed Woodward the sack
    Then we won't win trophies no more

In fairness Pro your covering your point in rags. Cleverly was absolutely terrible today and not for the fist time.

I don't think anyone is debating Valencia and Young's were poor either and I have mentioned this in a previous post. But collectively between the four they all were terrible.

To state the Clevery was the best in CM is crazy. The amount of times he put Fletcher under pressure and gave the ball away was shocking.

And not to mention how many silly fouls he gave away once he lost the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

The little bits of the match I actually saw seemed terrible. No flow to the team at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Taok wrote: »
    He said RVP's could be given and that Young exaggerated after contact was made. Sounds like a fair assessment to me.

A fairer reflection but he did ask him if he though Young dived and he said no before going on to say he exaggerated contact.

Trying to defend Young is not something I'd have been doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Picture a smoke filled room in Madrid,Di Maria's agent taking a good puff on a Cuban cigar....He pauses for effect and then addresses Utd negotiating team...

"And after the 2m signing on fee Angels last request....which is ah....how you say the deal breaker is that two players must remain at Utd if he is to sign...Anderson,as he is a jolly guy who loves Mars bars and Tom Cleverly who will make Angel look like Pele/Best/Puskas and Zidane all rolled into one if they ever grace the field at Old Trafford together".

Glory Glory Man United
    This team really is the bloody ****eiest
    If we don't sign some full backs
    And Give Ed Woodward the sack
    Then we won't win trophies no more

Don't know if it was meant that way but I just tried signing it to the "glory glory" tune and it's a 0 out of ten for effort.

Also the last line I think is a double negative, so therefore proclaiming we will win trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There was one stage when we were on the counter. It's 4 on 4. Cleverely gives the ball to Rooney on the wing, Rooney looks up and sees nobody in the box, rolls it back to Fletcher who rolls it out to Valencia, Valencia rolls it back to Cleverley who passes sideways to Januzaj who blazes it wide. Tragic football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It's too close to what he said on sky. Guarantee you that tweet is a misquote.

Van Gaal said he also likes Messi and Vidal but cannot talk about transfers, or something to that.

One thing I have noticed is VG is very relaxed about it all. With such awful performances he would usually be spitting fire. Instead he's quite calm about it all.

The only explanation i can think of is that he doesn't expect the majority of that team to be playing in a few weeks.
    I expect two more players, or one world class player.

The team will look completely different this time next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

adox wrote: »
    Don't know if it was meant that way but I just tried signing it to the "glory glory" tune and it's a 0 out of ten for effort.

Also the last line I think is a double negative, so therefore proclaiming we will win trophies.

Try singing it win a Streford End accent, it works, by Jove it works old boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Trilla wrote: »
    It's too close to what he said on sky. Guarantee you that tweet is a misquote.

Van Gaal said he also likes Messi and Vidal but cannot talk about transfers, or something to that.

he first tweeted this
    https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/status/503595051122188291

then he tweeted this
    https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/status/503597092611579904

dont think it was a misquote but maybe a crossed wire with van gaals english maybe

A fairer reflection but he did ask him if he though Young dived and he said no before going on to say he exaggerated contact.

Trying to defend Young is not something I'd have been doing.

He said that Young lifted the ball over the defender and was then tackled, after which he exaggerated the fall. But what counts is that he was tackled by the opponent and so the referee can give the penalty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement