Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

irishfeen wrote: »
    Any idea when Shaw, Herrera, Evans & Fellaini should be back?

Looks like mid-September for Shaw and Herrera. Evans is back already I think, guess he wasn't match fit in time for today. Fellaini is unknown.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Looks like mid-September for Shaw and Herrera. Evans is back already I think, guess he wasn't match fit in time for today. Fellaini is unknown.

Source
    Herrera is a big big loss until mid Sept :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

i think too many people are getting hung up on this Vidal's dodgy knee thing. He doesnt have a dodgy knee. He's had one operation, was back playing within five weeks. Probably a two or three weeks too early, which led to an extended break after the WC. He is now back playing first team football.

Also, Vidal has a brilliant record in terms of fitness and injury. He is not a crock by any stretch of the imagination.

Strootman would much more of a gamble.

I wonder why Utd felt the need to spend big for di Maria but not spend big on CM or CB. Why not put big money up for a Vidal or a Benatia types. You could put them through a strict medical if there are any concerns over fitness.

They can still sign a cm and cb but I don't think it will be big money like di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I've gotten to the stage where all I can do is laugh at Cleverley now. But Valencia makes a red mist descend over my eyes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United only have one more game before mid September, international break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

hopefully only misses 1 game with International break coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Just awful today - I was fcuking and blinding at the TV watching himself and Valencia ... just pathetic altogether - I feel sorry for the players around them trying to cope with that s.hite.

valencia is a disgrace, he has 2 yards to the left of his man to run into but he wont do and the defender knows it as he CANNOT use his left foot, its actually sick to look at. then as he is so one footed you would expect a good right foot but his crossing is terrible, he either over hits it or just drives it hard across the box. terrible stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm not sure where their source for that is. Van Gaal said today that his injury isn't too bad.

MK Dons tuesday night, id say they cant wait!! mk dons that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Forgetting the doom and gloom now. We're signing Di Maria!!!!
    I'm acting like Ric Flair for the week.

suv0if.gif

egvTSE.gif

gfwJiY.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

bangkok wrote: »
    MK Dons tuesday night, id say they cant wait!! mk dons that is

Just hope we don't pick up any more injuries!

wait, what? did somebody say MK Dons?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads rest assured a manager like Van Gaal will recognise the utter sh!te on display today. Cleverly, Fletcher, Valencia and Young were awful.

Don't worry. Rojo, Herrera, Shaw and Di Maria will help.

The main thing is the CM and the CB. I think we will get both by the end of the window.

We could also sign a RB because we are fcuked there is Valencia is starting ahead of Rafael.

wait, what? did somebody say MK Dons?

league cup 2nd round as we are not in europe

bangkok wrote: »
    league cup 2nd round as we are not in europe

:eek:

York City 1995 comes to mind right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Hopefully more youngsters get a chance on Tuesday, would have nearly rathered see Ben Pearson in CM today ahead of Cleverley. Would be nice for Rojo's work permit to come through by then too.

:eek:

York City 1995 comes to mind right now.

Did big Pete score in that game or something. or was that Vladikavkaz. There's a few games from that era that have blended together in the back of my mind.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads rest assured a manager like Van Gaal will recognise the utter sh!te on display today. Cleverly, Fletcher, Valencia and Young were awful.

Don't worry. Rojo, Herrera, Shaw and Di Maria will help.

The main thing is the CM and the CB. I think we will get both by the end of the window.

We could also sign a RB because we are fcuked there is Valencia is starting ahead of Rafael.
    I suppose the only one positive from today might be the fact that LVG and the hiarchy will be left in no doubt that reinforcements are needed and needed NOW... if not we won't get CL.

Did big Pete score in that game or something. or was that Vladikavkaz. There's a few games from that era that have blended together in the back of my mind.

0-3 loss

DM-ICE wrote: »
    United only have one more game before mid September, international break
    Ah fcuk it I forgot about that s.hitty international break, more injuries are the last thing we need...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iv always been a staunch defender of Chico and wishing him not to leave but it kills me to say that he's time at utd will come to an end. For the good of his career he has to go. It annoys me to see a good striker like chico not getting a lot more game time. He's to good be sitting on the bench.

The very same could be said about Kag. It's quite sad 3 managers now aren't getting the best out of him. He deserves game time.

Ah fcuk it I forgot about that s.hitty international break, more injuries are the last thing we need...

I forgot to mention the MK Dons match, figured Anderson, Powell and Co wouldn't be a concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will only say this on today's game.....

Rafael, shaw, Evans, Carrick, Herrera and hopefully di Maria would improve that side a crap load.

Fingers crossed another top CM is signed, and commanding cb who is comfortable on the ball would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Hopefully more youngsters get a chance on Tuesday, would have nearly rathered see Ben Pearson in CM today ahead of Cleverley. Would be nice for Rojo's work permit to come through by then too.

would love to see Ben Pearson get a run in the league cup. He has a great bit of bite about him which some of our regulars dont have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

The price for Di Maria is literally going up everytime I come on here.. Is he 75£ Million good? Not gonna lie haven't seen much of him but 75£m seems like an awful lot of money.. is he the type of player to come in and make an instant impact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Christ the £64 million quoted earlier is ****ing mental as it is.

£75 million. There is just no way I can see Utd paying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Harpy wrote: »
    The price for Di Maria is literally going up everytime I come on here.. Is he 75£ Million good? Not gonna lie haven't seen much of him but 75£m seems like an awful lot of money.. is he the type of player to come in and make an instant impact?

Yes, absolutely!

honestly cant remember. i remember back then it was over 2 legs. Scholes scored in 2nd game I remember

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    I wonder why Utd felt the need to spend big for di Maria but not spend big on CM or CB. Why not put big money up for a Vidal or a Benatia types. You could put them through a strict medical if there are any concerns over fitness.

They can still sign a cm and cb but I don't think it will be big money like di Maria.

Probably because they couldn't get the right midfielder in?

If you get Vidal for example, you probably don't need a Di Maria this summer. A less established alternative player like Douglas Costa or Munian would be good on balance.

If you end up chasing Blind and De Jong as a Vidal is not available then Di Maria becomes more important as that extra game changer is needed so is worth the price tag.

I really hope he has got confused with € and £...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

We're just another CM and CB away from a really strong summer.

If we were to buy a guaranteed starter CB, who would you all be dropping from Jones, Smalling and Evans? Not including Rojo as I have only ever watched him at the WC.

I'd be dropping Smalling tbh. Just hasn't kicked on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Madrid saw that.

Tbf, a lot of the journos are throwing around different figures. Not sure how Ogden can write an article claiming Real are holding out for £75m but on the other hand claim Utd are 'close' to signing him for £60m. That is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

We haven't won a league game since 6 May 2014.

Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

If we were to buy a guaranteed starter CB, who would you all be dropping from Jones, Smalling and Evans? Not including Rojo as I have only ever watched him at the WC.

Definately Smalling, Jones has been very impressive in the first two games - shame about who's around him for support.

Keno wrote: »
    We haven't won a league game since 6 May 2014.

Shocking.
    Three/four games??

I don't think a centre half will be bought. Three at the back allows less quality in defence and more opportunities for defenders to get tight and make their jobs easier.

Midfield options need to be improved no doubt, don't want a reliance on a weak cm combination again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm surprised at the reaction to the Di Maria signing in here. I think you should be very excited by this signing.

You have signed one of the best players in the world, and then on top of that the club becomes more appealing to other players as they will believe that there is a great chance of Champion's league football with players like Di Maria there.

I really think there will be a few signings yet and the calibre might be better than was expected now that a marquee name has been signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blatter wrote: »
    Tbf, a lot of the journos are throwing around different figures. Not sure how Ogden can write an article claiming Real are holding out for £75m but on the other hand claim Utd are 'close' to signing him for £60m. That is just ridiculous.

Also if, as has been reported, Di Maria is flying in to Manchester tomorrow you would presume a deal has been agreed between the clubs.

Also the fact that he said goodbye to the players and staff today.

• Advertisement

60 millon pounds is 75 million euro making it more awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

It will all depend on Rojo, Jones and Blackett have been excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

honestly cant remember. i remember back then it was over 2 legs. Scholes scored in 2nd game I remember

Yeah schiemcal scored the equalizer in that 2-2, also I think remember him scoring an amazing bicycle kick / volley against Wimbledon in a cup game that was disallowed? Anyone remember this or am I just really stoned?!

its basically saying we are either signing him or not.

no answer either way just seems be covering both sides.

Yeah schiemcal scored the equalizer in that 2-2, also I think remember him scoring an amazing bicycle kick / volley against Wimbledon in a cup game that was disallowed? Anyone remember this or am I just really stoned?!

yep 1997 against the Crazy Gang. was good goal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Usual fence sitting ****

adox wrote: »
    Also if, as has been reported, Di Maria is flying in to Manchester tomorrow you would presume a deal has been agreed between the clubs.

Also the fact that he said goodbye to the players and staff today.

Not to mention the fact that Ancelotti has said the transfer is 'close'.

How could it be close if the clubs are £15m apart in valuation, as Ogden and some others are suggesting?

I would guess the deal is 99% agreed and just a few minor loose ends to tie up, the goodbyes and comments from Ancelotti wouldn't be happening otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Probably because they couldn't get the right midfielder in?

If you get Vidal for example, you probably don't need a Di Maria this summer. A less established alternative player like Douglas Costa or Munian would be good on balance.

If you end up chasing Blind and De Jong as a Vidal is not available then Di Maria becomes more important as that extra game changer is needed so is worth the price tag.

UTD need Di Maria. There's no player like him at the club now - his pace and skill will shatter defenses.

UTD also need a Vidal. A more Roy Keane, box-to-box combative type of midfielder.

I don't get the argument one type is more important than the other, or if you sign Vidal you don't need Di Maria. Two completely different types of players.

Three/four games??
    I'll answer my own question -

Sunderland 1-1 Man Utd Sun 24 Aug :(

Man Utd 1-2 Swansea Sat 16 Aug :mad:

Southampton 1-1 Man Utd Sun 11 May :(

Man Utd 3-1 Hull Tue 6 May :D

... reading back further again is actually very depressing too - Sunderland, Everton etc..

This is the way I view football. You've got five areas of the team:
    Gk
    Central defence
    Full back and wingers
    Central midfield
    Forward players

Any one area stops functioning and the team struggles. Defence is weak and you concede bad goals. Wingers and fullbacks are weak and you become reliant on play through the middle. Central midfield is weak and you end up playing long ball or ever dependent on wide players.

A team can still perform if one area is weak. But if two or more areas are really weak, the cohesion of the team completely breaks down.

Currently our central midfield is too weak, and we have very little quality in wide areas. No team can function is such a circumstance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement