Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

KH25 wrote: »
    3-5-2 could work with the right players. Unfortunately we don't have them. Looking at yesterday's team it was obvious we would struggle. Our wing backs are a joke and our midfield was shockingly weak. Replace those 4 players with quality and 3-5-2 would work better.
    Bring in Rafael and Shaw for Valencia and Young and we have an improvement there. bring in Carrick and Herrera for Cleverley and Fletcher and we are a lot better in the middle. Evans over Blacket and we improve as well. Yesterday was poor, but that I would say the none of the Valencia, Cleverley, Fletcher, Young quartet are first choice, so that partly explains the problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Zico wrote: »
    I've noticed how Rafael seems to have become one our better defenders since he hasn't been playing.:p

Add a right back to the list of players badly needed.

once we revert back to 4-3-3 i think Rafael will fit in there nicely.

Rafael Evans Smalling(Jones/Rojo) Shaw is not exactly the worst defence. not ideal, but it should be grand for most games once all are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Bring in Rafael and Shaw for Valencia and Young and we have an improvement there. bring in Carrick and Herrera for Cleverley and Fletcher and we are a lot better in the middle. Evans over Blacket and we improve as well. Yesterday was poor, but that I would say the none of the Valencia, Cleverley, Fletcher, Young quartet are first choice, so that partly explains the problems.

Indeed. I believe the formation could work for us if we had those players. Blackett is looking impressive though. Hopefully he continues his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think we played well, offensively in presason and are playing poorly now. I don't think it is the formation that is the problem. IMO, the players just aren't playing as well as they did in pre-season. LVG has implied this himself, saying they appear to have lost all the confidence they were showing in pre-season - pointing to the poor performance vs Valencia as a killer.

That's an awful thing if true. How confidence can be shattered so quickly is very worrying. I trust Van Gaal to get it right in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I'm not sure what wing backs could have done much better if the opposition are doubling up on them and they had no support.

When Young and Valencia got into advanced positions with the ball it was like the support ran away from them, I would have expected a CM or Mata to come close to them to provide an out ball or draw a defender. They were poor enough but I thought they have good reason to complain about being isolated at times with the only option available being the CB behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Shame about Young's pre-season being a flash in the pan. Again.

He clearly has the ability to be a decent player, I don't understand why he can't do it in competitive matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

He clearly has the ability to be a decent player, I don't understand why he can't do it in competitive matches.

I think Young is better on the right than the left, when he's on the left its the same thing over and over, beat defender cut back inswinger into the keepers arms, far too predictable on the left.

Predictable to everyone but the strikers that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well he definitely shoudnt be playing wing back. He gives it a go but its not going to work. I know he's been indifferent in the past for us on the flanks, his natural position, but jaysus christ all mighty he's never a wing back.

in fairness to young, he is not a left back or a left wing back. he is doing the team a favour by playing out of position. i would assume yesterday was the last time we will see him there, with Rojo filling in there from next weekend on i would imagine.

regarding his "dive"looked a penalty to me but id like to see it again before commenting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

once we revert back to 4-3-3 i think Rafael will fit in there nicely.

Rafael Evans Smalling(Jones/Rojo) Shaw is not exactly the worst defence. not ideal, but it should be grand for most games once all are fit.

hope thats true. dont know how you could drop jones after yesterday our best player by a mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I think we played well, offensively in presason and are playing poorly now. I don't think it is the formation that is the problem. IMO, the players just aren't playing as well as they did in pre-season. LVG has implied this himself, saying they appear to have lost all the confidence they were showing in pre-season - pointing to the poor performance vs Valencia as a killer.

I don't think this is true at all. If you think back to the pre-season games, they were all played at a slow pace, and low intensity. Then we played Liverpool, and in the first half they pressed us high up the pitch and we were awful - Jones diving in and gave a peno away, Evans looked nervy and almost cost us a goal, Fletcher was truly dreadful, and Herrera kept giving fouls away (too much to do for one midfielder)
    Then Valencia came to OT and were well organised, and we just couldn't break them down. We were very poor.

Basically, in anything resembling a competitive match we've been shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Young dived

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: The dive.

I felt he was running, saw there was about to be a collision and jumped up. Then there was contact, he threw the arms up and went sprawling. Not sure if it was 100% a "dive", as there was contact, but do think if he hadn't jumped and then threw the hands up for dramatic effect, and just eaten the tackle, it would have been a penalty....which is stupid in a way that a player has to let himself get taken out of it to get the penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

in fairness to young, he is not a left back or a left wing back. he is doing the team a favour by playing out of position. i would assume yesterday was the last time we will see him there, with Rojo filling in there from next weekend on i would imagine.

regarding his "dive"looked a penalty to me but id like to see it again before commenting on it.

It was a dive and a penalty tbh, shouldn't have dived and just taken the contact.

The RVP one beforehand I'd definitely.need to see again though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Start of a huge week for Manchester United. The work done this week will have a massive influence on the next few years. I may be strident in my views but I just want the same as everyone else...to win our sixth European Cup as soon as possible. I have no interest in fighting or arguing with anyone. I find some posters' contributions annoying too but I would never "ignore" another poster or boast about it or reference it.

Now Vidal please Ed...

Start of a huge week for Manchester United. The work done this week will have a massive influence on the next few years. I may be strident in my views but I just want the same as everyone else...to win our sixth European Cup as soon as possible. I have no interest in fighting or arguing with anyone. I find some posters' contributions annoying too but I would never "ignore" another poster or boast about it or reference it.

Now Vidal please Ed...

OUR SIXTH EUROPEAN CUP??? What's all that about?????

Bit of a slip there from you, Larry!

assume he means the 3 CL, the super cup in 92 and the ECWC in 91...

assume he means the 3 CL, the super cup in 92 and the ECWC in 91...

i assumed he meant 6th european cup - catching up to, then surpassing Liverpool in the process. Or maybe he is a pool fan. whatevs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

It all makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

well that was awful.

In hindsight I wish we took chelsea's offer for rooney last season. he will never recover. Yesterday he was a disgrace imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think it's obvious at this stage that two much emphasis were put on the pre season Friendly's. It's clear that some supporters, bookies and pundits got carried away with a few decent results, when in reality are a long way from competitive action.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sure im also a Liverpool for somebody here ;)

Even though it looks done and dusted anyone feel nervous we will feck up Di Maria deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Anyone know where we would have finished last season without Rooneys goals & assists?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Herrera and Shaw are both expected back for QPR (according to Physioroom)which will be a big boost along with Rojo and (hopefully Di Maria).

We still need that Vidal-type. Mata, Van Persie and Rooney are no where near as effective as we have a chasm in midfield that does nothing for them. They keep having to come back and help out Fletcher and Cleverly instead of being an attacking unit awaiting the likes of Herrera and Vidal to join THEM instead!

In Herrera and Vidal, we would have our best midfield since Keane and Scholes in their pomp.

Sure im also a Liverpool for somebody here ;)

Even though it looks done and dusted anyone feel nervous we will feck up Di Maria deal?

It's not fecking up I'm worried about. If Madrid stick to their guns on the £75m figure I can't see him being bought, and rightly so imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

No.

I want to see us win our sixth European Cup...as in win three more and have six.

That's what motivates me as a United fan. That's the mountain.

Then target La Decima. Aim for the stars.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Assuming we sign nobody else except Di Maria.

De Gea
    Rafael Evans Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Carrick
    Januzaj Mata Di Maria
    RVP/Rooney

One of Rvp/Rooney has to miss out imo.

Wouldn't mind seeing this, TBH:

De Gea
    Rafael Evans Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Mata Carrick
    Januzaj Welbeck Di Maria

van Persie doesn't seem match-fit and Rooney is off the boil. I think Welbeck will come good given an extended run in his preferred position.

i assumed he meant 6th european cup - catching up to, then surpassing Liverpool in the process. Or maybe he is a pool fan. whatevs.

Oh, I'm not accusing him of being a liverpool fan. Just pointing out that he's very wrong in that we have only won three, not five european cups...

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

It's not fecking up I'm worried about. If Madrid stick to their guns on the £75m figure I can't see him being bought, and rightly so imo.

So you'd rather the glazers keep the money......!?

We've a week to go in the transfer window, beggars cant be choosers.......we have the money, we need to spend it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Soldie wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing this, TBH:

De Gea
    Rafael Evans Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Mata Carrick
    Januzaj Welbeck Di Maria

van Persie doesn't seem match-fit and Rooney is off the boil. I think Welbeck will come good given an extended run in his preferred position.

How do you reckon he is going to get fit sitting on the bench? RVP is probably the best player we have, he shouldn't and won't be dropped.

Delboy5 wrote: »
    So you'd rather the glazers keep the money......!?

We've a week to go in the transfer window, beggars cant be choosers.......we have the money, we need to spend it.....

While I generally don't mind the club paying inflated transfer fees for players (it's not my money and all that) £75m is a staggering amount and the club's bank account is not a bottomless pit.

I'd be deeply concerned that if he was signed for that much and United still failed to get into the CL, it could have disastrous consequences.

It's done already, did you see Xabi Alonsos tweet?

No.

I want to see us win our sixth European Cup...as in win three more and have six.

You should be our AIG Larry.

It's done already, did you see Xabi Alonsos tweet?

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's all agreed with the player, but not the club.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's all agreed with the player, but not the club.

Isn't that illegal? Tapping up etc.

• Advertisement

Isn't that illegal? Tapping up etc.

Only applies inside England. (Actually I might be wrong about this)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think it's obvious at this stage that two much emphasis were put on the pre season Friendly's. It's clear that some supporters, bookies and pundits got carried away with a few decent results, when in reality are a long way from competitive action.

This is very true most of the teams utd played were a week or two behind them preparation wise for the new season. The Liverpool game being the most realistic pre season game. Utd played their English world cup players quite early on in pre season also.

Only applies inside England.

Really? I didn't know that

Yeah I don't know why I think that, probably something I heard somewhere that stuck. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

Anyway, isn't it only illegal if you cause the player to breach his contract?

There are no specific rules governing it between different countries/associations laid out by Uefa, so there is no rule against tapping up players in other countries. I think that is the reality of the situation.

Of course tapping up happens all the time, domestically and internationally.

I would also reckon United had permission to talk to Di Maria, as Real have been openly trying to sell him all summer. You don't have to have a bid accepted to get permission to talk to a player.

• Advertisement

There are no specific rules governing it between different countries/associations laid out by Uefa, so there is no rule against tapping up players in other countries. I think that is the reality of the situation.

I would also reckon United had permission to talk to Di Maria, as Real have been openly trying to sell him all summer. You don't have to have a bid accepted to get permission to talk to a player.

There we go. This aligns with how it was in my head. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

KH25 wrote: »
    3-5-2 could work with the right players. Unfortunately we don't have them. Looking at yesterday's team it was obvious we would struggle. Our wing backs are a joke and our midfield was shockingly weak. Replace those 4 players with quality and 3-5-2 would work better.

We have Raf, Shaw and Herrera. Just the final CM.

doubt there is any rule even in England that allows clubs to deal with agents though i am open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

No.

what?! are you from Madrid now?!!!

Matas second blog of the season

Matas second blog of the season

What a lovable bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What are the positives well not many could argue that Jones and Blackett have been our best players in the first two games.

Injuries really are killing us at the moment look at the difference in quality with everyone fit.

DDg

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

----Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera
    Carrick

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

Vidal rumours are going to go into overdrive now and its going to run until deadline day.

hopefully the s*ite thats gone on in the last 2 games is enough to finally get our act in gear and get the signings finally done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What are the positives well not many could argue that Jones and Blackett have been our best players in the first two games.

Injuries really are killing us at the moment look at the difference in quality with everyone fit.

DDg

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

----Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera
    Carrick

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

We don't even need to play Di maria. That's some confidence out of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Vidal rumours are going to go into overdrive now and its going to run until deadline day.

hopefully the s*ite thats gone on in the last 2 games is enough to finally get our act in gear and get the signings finally done.

It's understandable considering LVG named dropped him in a list of players he would like, in the post match interview

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement