Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What are the positives well not many could argue that Jones and Blackett have been our best players in the first two games.

Injuries really are killing us at the moment look at the difference in quality with everyone fit.

DDg

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

----Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera
    Carrick

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

Depending on how Rojo works out, and if there was some suitable backup for Carrick, that would be a pretty solid team. Add in Januzaj, Di Maria and Welbz on rotation up front and we'd be in good shape if it wasn't for injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Vidal rumours are going to go into overdrive now and its going to run until deadline day.

hopefully the s*ite thats gone on in the last 2 games is enough to finally get our act in gear and get the signings finally done.
    I really hope it doesn't go to deadline day - it would be poor management if it is allowed to do so.

We have to get someone in - with De Jong being spoken of by a few (Ogden most noteworthy) as the backup target to Vidal. If Vidal fails, we need to ensure we have time to actually go for the backup option - if it is allowed to run to the last day, it may be too late to do other deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

What are the positives well not many could argue that Jones and Blackett have been our best players in the first two games.

Injuries really are killing us at the moment look at the difference in quality with everyone fit.

DDg

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

----Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera
    Carrick

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

How often is the first 11 fit though? Take out and of those back 5 and there are problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

People can laugh if they want but Cleverley, Fletcher, Young and Valencia are the standard of players who should be starting for teams battling relegation. All four need to phased out of the team none of them should be starting for United.

Rooney again yesterday and Mata had to drop so deep to receive the ball and then none of these four are showing for the ball. Their is no point having world class players so far up the pitch if the players behind them can't give them any sort of service.

Hococop wrote: »
    We don't even need to play Di maria. That's some confidence out of us

When i see Di Maria holding up the United jersey then i will put him in potential teams it won't surprise me if we mess up this deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

People can laugh if they want but Cleverley, Fletcher, Young and Valencia are the standard of players who should be starting for teams battling relegation. All four need to phased out of the team none of them should be starting for United.

Rooney again yesterday and Mata had to drop so deep to receive the ball and then none of these four are showing for the ball. Their is no point having world class players so far up the pitch if the players behind them can't give them any sort of service.

Spot on. The four of them should be pushed out of the club. As long as these guys are in the team, we will get performances like yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Completely agree with this, so frustrating seeing RVP and Rooney coming back into CM to collect the ball. When they're trying to bring people into the game, there is no one up the field to receive it.

Cleverley just happy to be on the pitch.

Spot on. The four of them should be pushed out of the club. As long as these guys are in the team, we will get performances like yesterday.

For some reason though, football managers seem to love them a bit of Antonio Valencia. He must have a really good private investigator digging up dirt on each manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

For some reason though, football managers seem to love them a bit of Antonio Valencia. He must have a really good private investigator digging up dirt on each manager.

Valencia infuriates me. He is one of the worst players in the league. He does absolutely nothing. He can't cross a ball anymore other than smashing it low along the ground.

People say he is good defensively. He's not. He constantly loses his man. The sooner he is out of the first team the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Can we go and kidnap Mata? I don't like thinking he feels sad playing with TC23 in midfield. Oh Mata, my Mata.

He's only got one trick and one foot. Don't know how he wasn't found out that season where he did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

At least yesterday he was making more of an attempt to get to the byline and cross the ball sometimes instead of only running to the corner and passing it back to cleverley.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Have a nice week. Hugs. Juan.

Dreamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

ADM meant to be arrive around lunch time according to SSN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sky Sports Football ✔ @SkyFootball
    Angel Di Maria will fly in at lunchtime to undergo a medical ahead of a British record £63.9m move to Man Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Giggsy11 wrote: »

So assuming its true he could be unveiled tonight

£63.9m I can just about get behind. :cool:

The burnley right full is currently having a panic attack. :)

The burnley right full is currently having a panic attack. :)

He's planning on passing to his CM and watching him turn United inside out! :pac:

Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 1m
    Di Maria refused to join PSG, even if Real Madrid could sort a deal, because he wanted Manchester United move. [AS]

:D

• Advertisement

I can see it now:

*Ring ring*

"Ciao?"

"Hello Arturo, we have decided we would like to bring you to Manchester. You'll have the opportunity to play alongside stars like Robin Van Perise, Juan Mata, Wayne Rooney and Angel Di Maria."

"Sound like an exciting prospect Mr Van Gaal. Who will be my midfield partners?"

"Sometimes Ander Herrera."

"Great."

"Other times Michael Carrick."

"I can dig it."

"But mostly Tom Cleverley."

*Click*

£63.9m I can just about get behind. :cool:

That is including add ons. 5 Million related to performance, 5 Million is we win PL, 5 Million if we win 2 CLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

People can say what they want about Valencia, he will be kept by VG as he is fast and that's what he wants. a high tempo game is what he wants but is mot getting anymore.

The three players bought and the fourth about to be bought are all fast players who play their game with high tempos. The other midfielder purchase VG eventually makes will also be like that too, which is why Vidal is perfect and I feel more confident this week about at least one more midfield acquisition.

However with 3 of our possible 5 Centre backs all made of glass, its imperative that another purchase is needed. Otherwise the dark days of playing Fletcher and Carrick back there might return.

My own two cents on Di Maria, Real are a mad mad club. The man is recognised as being their second best player, and was instrumental in their success last year. Ancelletti clearly wanted to keep him, yet Perez does what he does best. Sell at a high price and bring in another Superstar. Delighted for United, he is a genuinely world class player. This is where United need to be, and my hope is that its the start of a new era. LVG is trying to do something special at the club and I hope the club back him all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GSPfan wrote: »
    Genuine question here about who starts in a 4 3 3 if we sign DiMaria and maybe a CM like Vidal.

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Evans Shaw
    Herrera Mata Vidal
    Januzaj Rooney DiMaria

Would that be the most likely first 11 if everyone is fit and its a major game? RVP is likely to be benched if we are honest as Rooney is now a certain starter as captain and he doesn't offer much out wide.

Mata being part of a midfield 3 but further forward than the other 2. DiMaria and Januzaj providing the width and cutting inside when needed.

See it really is starting to feel like he is using the 352 formation only to get RVP Rooney and Mata in the same team. I wonder how long that will last.

De Gea
    Raf Jones Evans Shaw
    Herrera Mata Carrick/new midfielder
    Di Maria Rooney RVP

is an option.

Though I am unsure about Raf since he has been omitted even though he is fit.

That is including add ons. 5 Million related to performance, 5 Million is we win PL, 5 Million if we win 2 CLs.

Including as in the base fee is £48.9m, or including as in it could rise to £78.9m? (I know including means the former, but people get this wrong sometimes :p)

Not doubting you, but where did you hear this?

KH25 wrote: »
    Valencia infuriates me. He is one of the worst players in the league. He does absolutely nothing. He can't cross a ball anymore other than smashing it low along the ground.

People say he is good defensively. He's not. He constantly loses his man. The sooner he is out of the first team the better.

It's why i scratch my head when people were delighted Nani went on loan. Fair enough if you have quality but when your watch Young and Valencia do that every game the mind boggles.

SlickRic wrote: »
    after RVP's post-match interview on BBC, I'm more surprised than ever that he's not captain tbh.

Didn't see any of the post match stuff yet, anyone a link to said interview (or any of them for that matter?)

Watching a match in a pub these days in unbearable. I seriously can not wait until we sort Di Maria another signing or two and get back to winning games.

How long is Fellaini out for would like to see him starting next week if he is back.

will be interesting to see the team tomorrow.

At a guess, I would say

Amos
    --Keane-Jones-Blacket
    Rafael
    James
    ---Cleverley-Anderson
    Kagawa
    ---Welbeck--Hernandez

Wilson, Powell, Fletcher, Rooney, Evans, Young, Johnstone

• Advertisement

How long is Fellaini out for would like to see him starting next week if he is back.

scan today, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

will be interesting to see the team tomorrow.

At a guess, I would say

Amos
    --Keane-Jones-Blacket
    Rafael
    James
    ---Cleverley-Anderson
    Kagawa
    ---Welbeck--Hernandez

Wilson, Powell, Fletcher, Rooney, Evans, Young, Johnstone

Would like to see Wilson, Pearson and Powell play rather than the likes of hernandez anderson and cleverley, the young lads deserve a chance and wont hide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Saw a lad in lifestyle sports ordering a " di maria 7" shirt. He's tempting fate....

Including as in the base fee is £48.9m, or including as in it could rise to £78.9m? (I know including means the former, but people get this wrong sometimes :p)

Not doubting you, but where did you hear this?

Sergi Domínguez @FutbolSergi · 17h
    Di Maria fee believed to be circa €75m + €15 incentives. €5m based on performances + €5m if Man United win PL + €5m if Man United win 2 UCL.

Guillem Balague @GuillemBalague · 23h
    The price for di María (in euros): United offered 60m, Real wanted 90. Final figure: 80 million, including adds on. £63.9m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

really?

that doesnt sound so bad then if true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Mata has 7 goals in his last 8 games for us, thats soem going yet he barely feels like he is involved in any of the games, nothing going on around him yesterday and whenever he got the ball he had no options to play it on, think he will be a serious player with a bit of pace around him, Januzaj and Di Maria on either side of him would be devastating, I fear though that he will be the one dropped rather than RVP and Rooney.

Saw a lad in lifestyle sports ordering a " di maria 7" shirt. He's tempting fate....

Still feeling sorry for that kid I saw a couple of weeks ago with the new shirt and "Januzaj 44" on the back. His dad has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

really?

All prices include add ons. I don't think anyone knows what they are right now tho. Most are usually very attainable.

Sergi Domínguez @FutbolSergi · 17h

Guillem Balague @GuillemBalague · 23h

I need to start doing twitter. News sites are too slow. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

People can say what they want about Valencia, he will be kept by VG as he is fast and that's what he wants. a high tempo game is what he wants but is mot getting anymore.

The three players bought and the fourth about to be bought are all fast players who play their game with high tempos. The other midfielder purchase VG eventually makes will also be like that too, which is why Vidal is perfect and I feel more confident this week about at least one more midfield acquisition.

However with 3 of our possible 5 Centre backs all made of glass, its imperative that another purchase is needed. Otherwise the dark days of playing Fletcher and Carrick back there might return.

My own two cents on Di Maria, Real are a mad mad club. The man is recognised as being their second best player, and was instrumental in their success last year. Ancelletti clearly wanted to keep him, yet Perez does what he does best. Sell at a high price and bring in another Superstar. Delighted for United, he is a genuinely world class player. This is where United need to be, and my hope is that its the start of a new era. LVG is trying to do something special at the club and I hope the club back him all the way.

I was thinking about that over the weekend though, seems to be they always manage to keep the upper hand. They pay £60m for James Rodriguez who's just turned 23, and we buy Angel DiMaria for £64m, we get an excellent few years out of DiMaria, but they get Rodriguez and the sell him on for a shed load of money in a few years.

Anyone know where we would have finished last season without Rooneys goals & assists?

No, nobody can answer that kind of question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

It was only 8 months ago people were saying that Mata was going to do all the things people are predicting of Di Maria.

I read somewhere earlier that a player is never greater than when he's between speculation and arrival. That is soooo true.

kryogen wrote: »
    No, nobody can answer that kind of question.

I can. In a very dark place.

really?

According to @GuillemBalague who I think broke the news first is saying 63.9 Million is including all the add ons.

I hope everyone has their GIFs at the ready, we might be needing them this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I hope everyone has their GIFs at the ready, we might be needing them this afternoon.
    891820.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mate of mine sent me this during the game yesterday...
    Would the vanishing spray work on Tom cleverly !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

twam2008 wrote: »
    I was thinking about that over the weekend though, seems to be they always manage to keep the upper hand. They pay £60m for James Rodriguez who's just turned 23, and we buy Angel DiMaria for £64m, we get an excellent few years out of DiMaria, but they get Rodriguez and the sell him on for a shed load of money in a few years.

Think Di Maria is better than James tbh. He was probably only 2nd to Ronaldo last year in their side.

mate of mine sent me this during the game yesterday...

Could we pool our money to sell Tom Cleverley ourselves?

titan18 wrote: »
    Think Di Maria is better than James tbh. He was probably only 2nd to Ronaldo last year in their side.

A lot of great players performed well for them last year too... If the fee touted for him includes the add ons I'll be happy.

The chances of us winning the league, or winning 2 Champions league are almost non existent in the next year or two! So that's ten million recouped!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement