Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

titan18 wrote: »
    Think Di Maria is better than James tbh. He was probably only 2nd to Ronaldo last year in their side.

Think I'd take Bale ahead of di Maria.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Think Di Maria is better than James tbh. He was probably only 2nd to Ronaldo last year in their side.

I agree, but Real are being paid £3.9m plus add ons to take a gamble, and they'll have a good chance of selling him on either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Could we pool our money to sell Tom Cleverley ourselves?

should put in an offer for him for Boardeaux (the website team).

wonder does the office have a fax machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

kryogen wrote: »
    No, nobody can answer that kind of question.

that's because it's a ridiculous premise.

Does anyone who asks it think that without Rooney, United would have played with 10 men, or that some other striker wouldn't have finished at least some of the chances Rooney got, or even the team would have performed better by not accommodating Rooney when he was off form.

Weird thing to ask really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

I hope everyone has their GIFs at the ready, we might be needing them this afternoon.

It's a bank holiday in the UK today so you might have to hold onto your GIFS until tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Could we pool our money to sell Tom Cleverley ourselves?

I wonder could we pool our money and buy him for Wexford Youths or something? If we could stretch to €250 and a box of Celebrations it might get it over the line. United might play hard ball though so we should have a keg of Guinness on standby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

should put in an offer for him for Boardeaux (the website team).

wonder does the office have a fax machine?
    He wouldn't get in the team ahead of sqrek|utek

also, from what I've seen recently I doubt "the office" would be too willing to help us out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Looking forward to see how Di Maria is deployed in our lineup.
    There has been a noticeable lack of pace and explosiveness in our squad for FAR too long.

Yesterday it was horrendous seeing us get the ball, and just meander through midfield. Sunderland just sitting back daring us to try something.

I think it's a sad state of affairs that teams feel safe in sitting back against us, knowing we will struggle to break them down.

Look forward to hopefully seeing Kagawa on Tuesday in the no.10 role, would like him to grasp his chance. Not sure what sort of side will be put out, and don't want to write off MK Dons, but I would think Van Gaal might take it seriously, and a decent team will be out there.

Could be a nice opportunity to build some confidence, need to avoid injuries though.

The injuries by the way, what's up with that? With less games this year I'd assume the squad will maintain better fitness, but it's a pretty rough start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

that's because it's a ridiculous premise.

Does anyone who asks it think that without Rooney, United would have played with 10 men, or that some other striker wouldn't have finished at least some of the chances Rooney got, or even the team would have performed better by not accommodating Rooney when he was off form.

Weird thing to ask really.

I asked cause someone had said he wished we sold Rooney last year. If he was sold we probably would have finished lower than where we did, or maybe better since Welbeck is one of the better finishers in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 1m

:D

This is good if true as its shows that were still a massive club in the eyes of the top players and can attract world class talent. I am sure Rojos signing helped aswell as their reported to be very good mates. I would say Burnley are ****ting themselves at the prospect of facing him this weekend. Anyone know what the weather is like in Manchester. I hope its not like over here.:D

• Advertisement

I asked cause someone had said he wished we sold Rooney last year. If he was sold we probably would have finished lower than where we did, or maybe better since Welbeck is one of the better finishers in the league?

If he had been sold we don't know who might have replaced him or how the team might have lined out, so it's an unanswerable question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    If we were to sign Vidal and Di Maria, I'll make every one a sig and buy one Vidal home shirt and one Di Maria home shirt and give both away to posters in this thread, a caption competition or something.

Only one Arturo away from having to honour this promise. Would be absolutely delighted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

If he had been sold we don't know who might have replaced him or how the team might have lined out, so it's an unanswerable question.

The fee that was touted was bull**** too. If Di Maria is worth 50 million, Wayne Rooney with a large contract behind him, with that English player tax is surely worth more than 30 million. We would have struggled to replace him with a player of that calibre (Diego Costa aside)

The fee that was touted was bull**** too. If Di Maria is worth 50 million, Wayne Rooney with a large contract behind him, with that English player tax is surely worth more than 30 million. We would have struggled to replace him with a player of that calibre (Diego Costa aside)

United are pretty terrible at selling players who aren't Ronaldo. That said, I don't think Rooney is worth as much as Di Maria. He's a bit older and looks like he's entered a premature decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United are pretty terrible at selling players who aren't Ronaldo. That said, I don't think Rooney is worth as much as Di Maria. He's a bit older and looks like he's entered a premature decline.

main reason we sell players is cause they are past it or have fallen out with management. We rarely sell a player we really want to keep, so the price is always going to take a hit because of that - most the time is it a player we want shot of ASAP. Beckham, Ruud, Heinze for example.

main reason we sell players is cause they are past it or have fallen out with management. We rarely sell a player we really want to keep, so the price is always going to take a hit because of that - most the time is it a player we want shot of ASAP. Beckham, Ruud, Heinze for example.

Yeah I agree, but it's almost like the club makes it far too obvious they want the player gone in a hurry. Madrid for example may have been looking to offload Di Maria, but they made a bloody good show of being reluctant.

Didn't stop Di Maria going at a premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah I agree, but it's almost like the club makes it far too obvious they want the player gone in a hurry. Madrid for example may have been looking to offload Di Maria, but they made a bloody good show of being reluctant.

Even after what I have said - Chelsea have made great money on players they clearly didn't want - so it can be done.

Real have been a bit similar to us in the past - Sneijder and Robben being two good examples. Getting great money for Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Will Di Maria have a work permit in time for Burnley???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

billyhead wrote: »
    Anyone know what the weather is like in Manchester. I hope its not like over here.:D

Quote from football365
    billyhead wrote: »
    Looking out of my window at the weather today. If he gets on the first plane back I wouldn't blame him. Welcome to Manchester Angel, grim as f*ck!.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

James has an awful, awful lot to do before he would justify being thought of as on Di Maria's level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Anyone think Rooney will move to cm this year and switch with rvp when he gets injured?

He would make a pretty decent cm if we don't sign Vidal. He loves to drop deep anyway and at least now he will have people in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Only one Arturo away from having to honour this promise. Would be absolutely delighted to.

I still don't think it will happen but would love it to. How sure am I that it won't happen?

If it does I'll upload a video of me pegging my dog.

Ok, what verb does pegging represent in this scenario? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Anyone think Rooney will move to cm this year and switch with rvp when he gets injured?

He would make a pretty decent cm if we don't sign Vidal. He loves to drop deep anyway and at least now he will have people in front of him

I thought this for years, however not anymore. He has a great work ethic and plays some great Hollywood passes but the simple stuff is what let's him down too often, control and short passes often go missing when Rooney drops deep. I think people thought Gerrard could play deeper as he got older and that hasn't been the case. IMO Rooney would be similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

dont imagine him being happy with that if he does get swapped there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I still don't think it will happen but would love it to. How sure am I that it won't happen?

I'll warn animal services :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

keano25 wrote: »
    Will Di Maria have a work permit in time for Burnley???

He may have got Spanish citizenship while at Real in which case he wont need one.

I'll warn animal services :P

The least bad image I could come to was him shooting his dog with a peg gun and even that's cruel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

ceegee wrote: »
    He may have got Spanish citizenship while at Real in which case he wont need one.

Think he'd have needed to be there for 5 years to qualify for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I am bored.
    Here's some choice anagrams for Angel Di Maria

A Derailing AM
    A Dream Ailing
    Alarming Idea
    Airing A Medal
    A Lad Migraine
    I lied anagram
    I dial manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

ceegee wrote: »

hes got an Italian passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Still feeling sorry for that kid I saw a couple of weeks ago with the new shirt and "Januzaj 44" on the back. His dad has a lot to answer for.

Draw a line under it and put another 4. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anything other then Di Maria on the horizon lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

irishfeen wrote: »

I see something coming over the hill
    What could it be?
    Is it a monster?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Messi and Vidal if they are up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hopefully Cleverly gone. That'd be like a new signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

What did people think of Adnan in the central position on yesterday?

Thought he was poor and rarely played the ball forward, he kept wanting to go wide as is his natural instincts. Then again a few were guilty of reverting to the wide areas yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

ogden is running with us going after Blind, De jong and Vidal nothing other than that it seems

Surly we will get something in midfield - LVG must be just scratching his head at the quality on show yesterday from Fletcher, Cleverly and Valencia...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Surly we will get something in midfield - LVG must be just scratching his head at the quality on show yesterday from Fletcher, Cleverly and Valencia...

and Young. No team could carry four players as bad as those four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I am bored.
    Here's some choice anagrams for Angel Di Maria

A Derailing AM
    A Dream Ailing
    Alarming Idea
    Airing A Medal
    A Lad Migraine
    I lied anagram
    I dial manager

I'd anal margie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It will take a while to get last season out of the system for the players I feel. The impact of finishing 7th, playing turgid football must have been hard on a lot of them. The fear in so many players games is evidence of that surely? The football was good in pre season, played with a confidence and a freedom that hasn't been seen since.

Hopefully it will be sorted sooner rather then later as the longer it takes to get into stride the harder its going to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This is an ADM quote from 2009 -
    “Since I was 13 or 14 years old, I’ve been telling my mother and my father that my dream is to play some day for Manchester United,"

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/di-maria-reveals-united-dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

It will take a while to get last season out of the system for the players I feel. The impact of finishing 7th, playing turgid football must have been hard on a lot of them. The fear in so many players games is evidence of that surely? The football was good in pre season, played with a confidence and a freedom that hasn't been seen since.

Hopefully it will be sorted sooner rather then later as the longer it takes to get into stride the harder its going to be

Ah, come on. This is football, not the flu.

Why is it taking time to play better football? Fairly simple, in my opinion. We're changing quite a lot in a short space of time. That is very demanding on players. LVG has a totally different criteria as a manager, there are many faces absent and many more new, the onus of "seniority" is being placed where it was not placed before, youngsters such as Blackett and Keane are being told that they must step up a level. These are massive changes.

Moyes biggest mistake was trying to continue what AF did. LVG is not doing that. This is not something that can be achieved overnight, and wins in friendlies don't get you points.

Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

^^^^^^^^^^

Link working?

https://twitter.com/rich9908/status/503872376707510272

Diario AS Newspaper not happy at all about the sale...

^^^^^^^^^^

Link working?

It's part of the joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Also with more than half of the team missing.

Rafael, Shaw, Evans, Herrera, Carrick are all first choice players and also Rojo who might be our first choice CB.

Once all these players are back and with addition of Di Maria we should be doing lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

This is an ADM quote from 2009 -

Full Article

Pretty sure that quote was made up by some rag like Daily Star (News of the World it was) back in 2009.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement