Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Been out, and out of touch with a lot of today. So just reading this now.....

Al's happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Evans back, Rafael back, Rojo eligible. Herrera will miss it though.

Sky reported earlier that there would be a late check on Herrara to see if he would be available for the MK Dons game, so if there info is accurate id imagine there is a good chance of him making the burnley match.

We could do with him making it too, or else push Vidal's transfer through in time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd be surprised if Di Maria is the only addition. LVG has constantly said that we need more defenders, even after the arrival of Rojo.

Blind, Benatia and Vidal on top of Shaw, Herrera, Rojo and Di Maria would be beyond perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Di Maria is the only addition. LVG has constantly said that we need more defenders, even after the arrival of Rojo.

Blind, Benatia and Vidal on top of Shaw, Herrera, Rojo and Di Maria would be beyond perfect.

It seems blind is almost inevitable at this stage. Assuming we're buying 3, that leaves one spot. Would people be happier with a midfielder or a defender like Benatia?

Another midfielder for me. Evans and Rojo will make a big difference to the defence, while the club still needs a top class centre mid imo. Blind will turn out to be a quality signing I reckon if it happens.

• Advertisement

Between Benatia and Vidal?

Vidal all day long. But I can dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I'm not so sure they'll spend that money on Vidal - esp with concerns over his knee, not to talk of the fee after shelling out so much on Di Maria. If I was betting on it I'd bet on De Jong being bought as a stop gap until Strootmann is available again. And Daley Blind coming as well as he's very versatile and can play in several positions. The one I'm really interested in though is Lucas Silva. We all know what the trio above would offer but Silva genuinely is a very exciting prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm really confused. All Summer we had lads popping in to tell us we wouldn't be signing anybody decent without Champions League... Yet here we are, on the verge of finalising a deal for Angel f*cking Di Maria!!!

*grumble grumble*

Over rated

*grumble grymble*

Over priced

*grumble grumble*

And they talk about City & Chelsea buying the league

;)

Very happy with this signing. Yes, a CM was/is still a priority (looks like we are addressing that anyway, I don't think twill be Vidal though) however when a world class player is available, that will add another option to the squad, damn right we should go for them.

Yes, we are prolly paying over the odds a bit for him but so fcuking what, we are after signing a deal for our kit alone that is worth more than probably 99% of every other club in the UK so it's not as if we are mortgaging the family silver to buy these players.

We are Manchester United and big clubs pay big club prices. Madrid and Barca are exactly the same, when they are interested in a player then it's an auto value jump of 25% +. I'm not saying we are as big a draw as either of those teams from a purely football point of view but we are arguably the biggest club in the world and we are 100% the biggest club in the UK by a country mile.

So the whiners can whine, the nay sayers can nay say, every team in the world barring Real who we all know are crackers, would love to sign a player like DiMaria however he is signing for United, and that gives me one helluva horn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

From SSN, the whole game based contract is interesting.

"Manchester United are set to sign Angel di Maria today after agreeing a fee with Real Madrid, and there is quite a bit of speculation this morning about who may follow the Argentine to Old Trafford. The Independent writes that Arturo Vidal of Juventus is their top midfield target in a possible £34million deal, although it is reported that the club’s concerns about his fitness are so great that it may require a complex, appearance-based contract."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

advertsfox wrote:
    "Manchester United are set to sign Angel di Maria today after agreeing a fee with Real Madrid, and there is quite a bit of speculation this morning about who may follow the Argentine to Old Trafford. The Independent writes that Arturo Vidal of Juventus is their top midfield target in a possible £34million deal, although it is reported that the club’s concerns about his fitness are so great that it may require a complex, appearance-based contract."

Give em 30 million now and maybe another 10 or 15 if he plays 100 games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Give em 30 million now and maybe another 10 or 15 if he plays 100 games?
    Why not, we know Juve have their own concerns and if they get £30 million now or ~£20 million with a player like Hernandez and then he plays loads - more mulah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Unless Juve really want rid of him, i can't see why they would be willing to gamble on his fitness with regards to the fee they get.

Unless Juve really want rid of him, i can't see why they would be willing to gamble on his fitness with regards to the fee they get.

Would agree - cant see this being acceptable to them.
    Also - I got the impression that the player himself would lose out financially if he didn't play - some clause along the lines of what Michael Owen had. Cant see him jumping at that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

The Adidas deal is huge, and its possible we went into negotiations with a three year plan that included some stellar names in order to get a deal like that done. This is unprecedented, never before has anything like this happened, don't rule out Vidal and Hummel's. I have given up speculating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

twam2008 wrote: »
    The Adidas deal is huge, and its possible we went into negotiations with a three year plan that included some stellar names in order to get a deal like that done. This is unprecedented, never before has anything like this happened, don't rule out Vidal and Hummel's. I have given up speculating.

There were reports/rumours of a meeting between the Glazers, Woodward and LVG last week - I would imagine the lack of signings, the sponsorship deal and i s clauses and the requirement to make the CL were high on the agenda - hence the big pushes this week.

It is why I am fairly confident United will sign VIdal if they feel he is worth the risk re. his knee. I think Woodward has been told by the Glazers to get the deals done - just get them done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

There were reports/rumours of a meeting between the Glazers, Woodward and LVG last week - I would imagine the lack of signings, the sponsorship deal and i s clauses and the requirement to make the CL were high on the agenda - hence the big pushes this week.

It is why I am fairly confident United will sign VIdal if they feel he is worth the risk re. his knee. I think Woodward has been told by the Glazers to get the deals done - just get them done.

I'd be insanely happy if we got Vidal. One of my favourite players to watch over the last couple of seasons. And it would be the first time since Scholes in the 07/08 season that we have a genuine world class midfielder in the team.
    Vidal and Herrera would represent the best midfield we've had since Keane left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I'm feeling nothing for this Di Maria business.

I hope he's ****ing amazing for us, but I'd be pissing myself laughing if another team bought him for the amounts being quoted.

I'd be giddy with excitement if we could buy a defensive midfielder though. We've only needed one for the last 6 years but I'm getting very impatient now, especially when we're spunking jaw dropping amounts of money on wingers.

Zico wrote: »
    I'm feeling nothing for this Di Maria business.

I hope he's ****ing amazing for us, but I'd be pissing myself laughing if another team bought him for the amounts being quoted.

I'd be giddy with excitement if we could buy a defensive midfielder though. We've only needed one for the last 6 years but I'm getting very impatient now, especially when we're spunking jaw dropping amounts of money on wingers.

It's your loss if you can't get excited that we've bought Di Maria. We've been missing that type of pace and threat for a number of years, just like we've been missing a proper midfielder for years.

Have a look at this. It might stir something inside you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

DMWr97a.jpg?1

448.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Why does anyone actually give a f*#k how much we spend on players? United have tons of money and it isnt going to keep rolling in unless we have big names at the club and were playing on the biggest stage .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

dor843088 wrote: »
    Why does anyone actually give a f*#k how much we spend on players? United have tons of money and it isnt going to keep rolling in unless we have big names at the club and were playing on the biggest stage .

If we have the money we might as well spend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

It's not my money and the club has done tremendous work on reducing the debt and making commercial deals. Financially we are very strong at the moment. Now is the time to make a big splash in the market and buy what we need. If we bring in shaw, Hererra, Di Maria, Blind and Vidal this window we don't need another spree. We can go back to buying one or two players every summer to strengthen the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

KH25 wrote: »
    We can go back to buying one or two players every summer to strengthen the team.

...and end up in the same predicament again.

Excellent plan alright.

Manchester united need to splash now, a spree as you call it, then continually spend big each summer - just like Chelsea, City, Madrid, Barca do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Still can't believe he's signing.

tumblr_mah0qeOPyC1r0mc7yo1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Not wanting to stereotype or anything but hopefully part of the problem was a tighfisted Scottish Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The kit deal is enormous. 500m sterling more than Madrid (albeit 2 years longer). If we overpay for Di Maria by 15 or so million to back that up I think thats ok :) There won't be massive kit deals for a team that finishes 7th , 6th, 7th, 5th...

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0714/630688-man-utd-adidas/
    English Premier League giants Manchester United have announced a ten-year kit deal with German sportswear group Adidas worth £750m (€942m) after US rivals Nike walked away from the club.
    The club's current 13-year deal with Nike, worth £303m, is due to end in 2015 and an exclusivity period enabling the Oregon-based manufacturer to negotiate a new deal recently expired.
    The record-breaking deal dwarfs the £248m eight-year Adidas deal with Spanish team Real Madrid and the £30m-a-year deal announced between Puma and English rivals Arsenal.

Excellent plan alright.

Manchester united need to splash now, a spree as you call it, then continually spend big each summer - just like Chelsea, City, Madrid, Barca do.

One or 2 players would be perfectly fine each year. The point he is making (IMO) is that spending 200M+ in one window on 5 players should not need to be a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Kagawa and Hernandez have to be looking at the exit door surely. If they'd take Cleverley too we'd thank them.

Its gonna be some week. Thank God the DiMaria thing has happened. No sign of the doom and gloomers the last few days. If we sign Vidal there are people who's whole argument about the Club being a disgrace falls apart. Then Its down to LvG to get it right on the pitch.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Kagawa and Hernandez have to be looking at the exit door surely. If they'd take Cleverley too we'd thank them.

Its gonna be some week. Thank God the DiMaria thing has happened. No sign of the doom and gloomers the last few days. If we sign Vidal there are people who's whole argument about the Club being a disgrace falls apart. Then Its down to LvG to get it right on the pitch.

Would be happy enough to see both Kags and Chico being offered to Juve as part of the Vidal deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The doom and gloomers have probably been silenced as United finally try catch up with the investment City and Chelsea have made into their squads in the past 6 or 7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Who cares how much he costs? The glazers will just take the money out of the club if it is not spent so I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Excellent plan alright.

the prdicament we ended up in is because we ignored needing a CM for 4-5 years. we let almost our entire defense age and then leave in the same season.

2-3 players a summer is more than enough if you buy well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ok lads i'll admit it i'm on the positivity couch too with Kew

Things seem to have ramped up in the last few days and progress is being made in incomings and outgoings..

This time next week if we're sitting here with another few signings and several [players gone out the door for decent fee's i'll be a very happy camper...

I may even hug my old nemesis Larry and Bangkok

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The window closes Tuesday next week, right?

Would imagine any transfers from outside England will need to be wrapping up in the next few days. Excited again. Who cares about the results :P

Woodwards dream of stopping the big players going to Spain is starting to take effect. If we are willing to pay north of £60 million on players now then the landscape of football has changed.

I wouldn't rule out a Ronaldo return in the future. Hopefully before he starts to decline.

• Advertisement

No sign of doom and gloom? Other than the match last Saturday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Who's that out there on Man Utd's wing...it's Angel Di Maria....Andgel Di Maria....
    Skill , pace and chances he will bring it's...Andgel Di Maria.....Angel Di Maria....
    To lift the supporters and make Utd sing...it's Angel Di Maria....It's Angel Di Maria...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Lord TSC wrote: »

Would imagine any transfers from outside England will need to be wrapping up in the next few days. Excited again. Who cares about the results :P

Monday night at 11 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm still in shock about this DiMaria deal. He is genuinely a world superstar, and we've bought the player of the year off of Real Madrid while he is still in his prime. I'm sure Chelsea or PSG or any of the other sugar daddy clubs would have bid for him whatever the price, so I'd love to know what his motivation was to come to United. I'd have liked to have known his thoughts after being driven into Carrington last night in the pouring rain after flying from sunny Madrid.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No sign of doom and gloom? Other than the match last Saturday ;)

Quiet you. :)

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm still in shock about this DiMaria deal. He is genuinely a world superstar, and we've bought the player of the year off of Real Madrid while he is still in his prime. I'm sure Chelsea or PSG or any of the other sugar daddy clubs would have bid for him whatever the price, so I'd love to know what his motivation was to come to United. I'd have liked to have known his thoughts after being driven into Carrington last night in the pouring rain after flying from sunny Madrid.

319771.jpg

Lord TSC wrote: »

Its 11 on Monday night TSC....

It'll be the twice a year stay up til the early hours with Natalie Sawyer/Hayley McQueen and Jim White extravaganza...Harry doing interviews from his car etc etc...

gotta love the ould transfer deadline day

So once the picture is finally posted of Di Maria holding up the no 7 shirt, can we have a separate NSFW thread for unlimited Upton/Johanssen/Brook gifs etc?

On a momentous occasion such as signing Di Maria, it's medically unsafe not to have a release for such things.

brinty wrote: »
    It'll be the twice a year stay up til the early hours with Natalie Sawyer

Twice a year? I try to do that twice a week...

brinty wrote: »
    Its 11 on Monday night TSC....

It'll be the twice a year stay up til the early hours with Natalie Sawyer/Hayley McQueen and Jim White extravaganza...Harry doing interviews from his car etc etc...

gotta love the ould transfer deadline day

Yep - agree 100%. Its a national institution - watching blokes in tracksuits standing round in the pouring rain to see if their club signs anyone and clips of blacked out cars driving in and out of training complexes, compulsive viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Who's that out there on Man Utd's wing...it's Angel Di Maria....Andgel Di Maria....
    Skill , pace and chances he will bring it's...Andgel Di Maria.....Angel Di Maria....
    To lift the supporters and make Utd sing...it's Angel Di Maria....It's Angel Di Maria...

Your chant is bad and you should feel bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

getting really confident about Vidal...have a feeling we are going to go big time for him in the next 5 days once Di Maria is done today.

its strange that it took a bad start to the season to get things moving, but if it works out in May that we are back in CL, then all will be forgotten.

keith16 wrote: »
    Your chant is bad and you should feel bad.

Better than your chant..:p

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So once the picture is finally posted of Di Maria holding up the no 7 shirt, can we have a separate NSFW thread for unlimited Upton/Johanssen/Brook gifs etc?

On a momentous occasion such as signing Di Maria, it's medically unsafe not to have a release for such things.

C'mon TSC, if the Dr says we need a "Release"....
    Plus you'll need some new materials ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

getting really confident about Vidal...have a feeling we are going to go big time for him in the next 5 days once Di Maria is done today.

its strange that it took a bad start to the season to get things moving, but if it works out in May that we are back in CL, then all will be forgotten.

Dunno once they signed their last marque signing (Mata) they took their foot off the gas completely. Hope that doesn't happen again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement