Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

DrPhilG wrote: »
    One or 2 players would be perfectly fine each year. The point he is making (IMO) is that spending 200M+ in one window on 5 players should not need to be a regular occurrence.

I agree. Two good players, that improve the team in the required positions every year should be more than enough.
    It's a damning indictment on many people involved that we didn't do that for many years. Can you imagine if we'd gone out in the summer of '08 and improved? European champions, and a huge draw for every player in the world surely.
    Or after '09 or '11, when it was blatantly obvious that we really needed to. But now we find ourselves in a situation that we need to go an a spree, with no guarantee that the players coming in will do the business....

There is a lot of blame to be attributed to a few people that has resulted in the situation we are in with a lot of very poor options. That said, I'm back being positive with the signings this summer so far. There are one or two players that, if they came in, would make this a very satisfactory window. At the moment, I'm happy, but there is room to make us a lot happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The only thing that surprised me is how Real Madrid went about upsetting him by signing Rodriguez.
    Angel is 26 years old, he seems to be getting better and better from what I see from watching Real Madrid.

I have been searching twitter since the rumours started that he was planning on leaving. A part of me believed he would join United, a part of me thought maybe he would prefer Paris.

Sometimes when you believe and hope, it does happen.

The two biggest clubs in the world are united and Real Madrid. For a player like Angel this is not stepping down to a club with less prestige.
    It is simply keeping one in the level their talent deserves.
    It makes it a crime we have some players making a living at United who aren't even good enough to be squad players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I struggled to believe we signed RVP for ages, but it was a low deal cause he was near the end of his contract, and with the greatest respect to Arsenal, it wasn't unusual for them to sell players.

Then we signed Mata and thought "oh wow, that's even more unbelievable"' but yet there was the fact we had a few months of it growing obvious he was out of favour at Chelsea.

But DiMaria.....I don't know. To get a genuine World Class player off Real Madrid. I don't know if I can believe it's happening yet.

Even Vidal, it's Juventus, it's been talked about for so long...but DiMaria is on a whole different level in terms of what we usually do transfer wise. Even when he is in a jersey, even when he is playing, i don't know how long this one will take me to believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The best part of this transfer is that none of our ITK pals posted about it. I've been able to enjoy this entire thing unfolding ever since Carlo, the legend that he is, told us Di Maria was leaving. What a wonderful signing. And now I wake up and suddenly we're in for Vidal again @ 34m. Would be a wonderful signing, as would Blind. Ooooooooooo I wonder what's happening behind the United doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

RobertKK wrote: »
    The only thing that surprised me is how Real Madrid went about upsetting him by signing Rodriguez.
    Angel is 26 years old, he seems to be getting better and better from what I see from watching Real Madrid.

I have been searching twitter since the rumours started that he was planning on leaving. A part of me believed he would join United, a part of me thought maybe he would prefer Paris.

Sometimes when you believe and hope, it does happen.

The two biggest clubs in the world are united and Real Madrid. For a player like Angel this is not stepping down to a club with less prestige.
    It is simply keeping one in the level their talent deserves.
    It makes it a crime we have some players making a living at United who aren't even good enough to be squad players.

Ah come on, Barcelona are a much bigger club than us. Bayern too.

I don't know why people hang on to this prestige nonsense, we're definitely a big club, with a massive fanbase but we're not one of the top two teams in the world, especially for attracting talent.

I know I'm pissing on our chips a bit, but no one else was really in for Di Maria, plenty interested I'd say but no one in a financial position to bid. While I am delighted to be buying a legitimate world class talent in his prime for once, the fact that this is so rare tells it's own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hehe, in the 03/04 season both Louis Saha and Christiano Ronaldo were signed.

Saha cost more. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Will we be waiting until the NYSE opens before the announcement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The best part of this transfer is that none of our ITK pals posted about it. I've been able to enjoy this entire thing unfolding ever since Carlo, the legend that he is, told us Di Maria was leaving. What a wonderful signing. And now I wake up and suddenly we're in for Vidal again @ 34m. Would be a wonderful signing, as would Blind. Ooooooooooo I wonder what's happening behind the United doors!

We've been linked with him for a while, it's just that everyone thought PSG were going to wrap it up eventually.

United are third behind Real and Barcelona respectively, and quite a distance ahead of Bayern.

Source: Forbes.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    We've been linked with him for a while, it's just that everyone thought PSG were going to wrap it up eventually.

We've been linked with the entirety of European football for a while. Papertalk means **** all.

I don't know why people hang on to this prestige nonsense, we're definitely a big club, with a massive fanbase but we're not one of the top two teams in the world, especially for attracting talent.

I know I'm pissing on our chips a bit, but no one else was really in for Di Maria, plenty interested I'd say but no one in a financial position to bid. While I am delighted to be buying a legitimate world class talent in his prime for once, the fact that this is so rare tells it's own story.

United are the most supported team in the world.
    Real Madrid the most successful.

These are the big two then Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

MagicIRL wrote: »
    We've been linked with the entirety of European football for a while. Papertalk means **** all.

Pfft...the entirety of European Football isn't what we need at the moment. Where would they play in LVGs 4-3-5-2-2-!-6-? system anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

RobertKK wrote: »
    United are the most supported team in the world.
    Real Madrid the most successful.

These are the big two then Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

I can't understand people who get hung up on meaningless stuff like that. Who gives a sh1t if United are the most supported team in the world? The only place to be judged is on the pitch

deisedude wrote: »
    I can't understand people who get hung up on meaningless stuff like that. Who gives a sh1t if United are the most supported team in the world? The only place to be judged is on the pitch

People want to win off the pitch as well as on it. :D

Will we be waiting until the NYSE opens before the announcement?

When announcing news to the stock exchange, the following is the normal procedure:
    One of the following is done:
    Announce before market opens.
    Announce when market is closed.
    If during the trading period, halt the trading of the stock and announce news, then resume trading.

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »

I do.

It means companies like Adidas, Chevrolet, Aon and so on throw money at the club and we can buy players like Angel Di Maria.

United are third behind Real and Barcelona respectively, and quite a distance ahead of Bayern.

Source: Forbes.

I suppose my point being that club valuations aren't what bring the best players. We might have loads of fans, and quite a bit of money now, but for the last decade or so we've struggled to attract the big names for a number of reasons.

For example say Player A has become available after the World Cup he's had a blinder. Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Manchester United are all in for him.

Who do you feel has the least chance of getting him.

I know weather is a factor, culture, or just the ability to play with the best players etc, but I still don't feel like United are the one of the top two clubs, (considering we have a tough time getting players ahead of the likes of Chelsea and City)

I guess it just depends on what factors you measure it by

Different paper. It's a concise version of the Indo. It's only in England. 30p. A cracking paper for that price. Same article. Means nothing.

Available here occasionally, I picked it up in Easons a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

DrPhilG wrote: »
    One or 2 players would be perfectly fine each year. The point he is making (IMO) is that spending 200M+ in one window on 5 players should not need to be a regular occurrence.

Exactly my point. We need 4-5 new players right now and they have to be quality. If we get those players we don't need to repeat this window next year.

Of course we will still need to buy, every team does. But we won't have to splash out 200million+ on players every year. If it's done properly we will be buying to maintain the squad as well as improve it and we won't end up with a gaping hole in the team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Cheesy, I know, but bored in work.

rFBYHUL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Dreams* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

advertsfox wrote: »
    Dreams* ;)

Yeah, robbed the background image, didn't notice that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

A club like United should never find itself in a position that we need 5 players or so in one window.
    Proper squad management should be 1 or 2 players out, and 1 or 2 players in each year.

This situation was caused by allowing deadwood to remain at the club, and allowing players who are past it to linger on.

I suppose my point being that club valuations aren't what bring the best players. We might have loads of fans, and quite a bit of money now, but for the last decade or so we've struggled to attract the big names for a number of reasons.

For example say Player A has become available after the World Cup he's had a blinder. Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Manchester United are all in for him.

Who do you feel has the least chance of getting him.

I know weather is a factor, culture, or just the ability to play with the best players etc, but I still don't feel like United are the one of the top two clubs, (considering we have a tough time getting players ahead of the likes of Chelsea and City)

I guess it just depends on what factors you measure it by

I'm not entirely sure that United did struggle to attract big players though, I think a big element of it was that under Ferguson's reign, they weren't trying to because they weren't needed.

We've recently seen RVP come aboard, and since Ferguson's retirement both Mata and (fingers crossed) Di Maria, even when the club is in a poor position competitively.

I think among elite players money talks, and the prestige of the club is a close second place. Things like the weather and glamour associated with the location are going to be factors, but much less so in my view.

Manchester might not be sexy like Madrid, Barcelona or even London, but the draw of the club's image and the impact it would have had on a lot of players growing up should not be understated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I'm not entirely sure that United did struggle to attract big players though, I think a big element of it was that under Ferguson's reign, they weren't trying to because they weren't needed.

We've recently seen RVP come aboard, and since Ferguson's retirement both Mata and (fingers crossed) Di Maria, even when the club is in a poor position competitively.

I think among elite players money talks, and the prestige of the club is a close second place. Things like the weather and glamour associated with the location are going to be factors, but much less so in my view.

Manchester might not be sexy like Madrid, Barcelona or even London, but the draw of the club's image and the impact it would have had on a lot of players growing up should not be understated.

I feel with the likes of Di Maria possibility coming in there could be a shift, but up until, United always seemed to lose out to the best players on offer... Ronaldinho, Robben et all.

It's exciting times one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

getting really confident about Vidal...have a feeling we are going to go big time for him in the next 5 days once Di Maria is done today.

its strange that it took a bad start to the season to get things moving, but if it works out in May that we are back in CL, then all will be forgotten.

You must read the same forums that I do. Bit more confidence about Vidal coming now.

twam2008 wrote: »
    Cheesy, I know, but bored in work.

rFBYHUL.jpg

I don't approve of you trying to destroy the Spanish love triangle with your new toyboys.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jaysus we might even win a game soon.

MK DONS BRING IT F*CKING ON.

Is this game on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Is this game on TV?

Sky sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

whoa, don't go losing the run of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Do you think we will make most of the lads playing tonight wear a "For Sale" sign on their backs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think tonight could be the final straw for a few players in the squad, we will see some players shipped out after tonight for sure.

very weird that Rojo still apparently has work permit issues - surely there is a loophole around that for now as in, play him as a trialist and not actually as an employee until its sorted - or am i looking at it too naively here?

I have 0 confidence in Tom Cleverley playing better than the MK Dons centre midfield.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

i think tonight could be the final straw for a few players in the squad, we will see some players shipped out after tonight for sure.

very weird that Rojo still apparently has work permit issues - surely there is a loophole around that for now as in, play him as a trialist and not actually as an employee until its sorted - or am i looking at it too naively here?

Bank holiday weekend in the UK + bureaucratic paperwork = slight delay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Trialists cant play in competitive first team games as far as Im aware, yesterday was a bank holiday in the UK so preume the Home Office would have been closed and his requests couldnt be processed as a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not too weird, imo.

THey aren't instant.

Friday and today are the only days we could have got it - couldn't get it over the weekend, and yesterday was a bank holiday. I don't see there being an actual problem with the application, just a matter of getting it done.

Also, can't play trailists is competitive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Did someone say we had trouble against teams parking the bus against us the other day.

Problem no more.

7hMTc6e.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd imagine we're looking at a team of fringe players tonight? Something like...
    Amos
    Keane - Jones - Blackett
    Raf
    James
    Anderson - Cleverly
    Kagawa
    Welbeck - Wilson

Back line is going to be based on who is available, but not ideal asking them all to play again so quick. Maybe Evans for a spell? Not sure who else we can play there though unless we raid the reserves. Likewise with Cleverly. Hernandez could be in for Welbeck. Wouldn't be shocked to see RVP get a run out for fitness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

A club like United should never find itself in a position that we need 5 players or so in one window.
    Proper squad management should be 1 or 2 players out, and 1 or 2 players in each year.

This situation was caused by allowing deadwood to remain at the club, and allowing players who are past it to linger on.

I agree with the ideal for sure but I don't know about how practical it is.

The need for more players this summer is because SAF left.

In the past, even with SAF United needed 8 players in a year and a half before starting the season of winning the Champions league.

I thinks it normal for many changes to be required when a successful team needs to be replaced/renewed/replenished.

Managers are justifiably cautious about upsetting the balance of a successful team, new players need to go into the team so you end up with a situation like Real selling Di Maria, it not easy to get right.

Look at how hard SAF had it when he brought in Veron and Berbatov for examples of where high quality was added existing quality and it didn't work the he would want.

So yeah I agree but just don't think will necessarily work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Barcelona signed 8 this summer.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Apparently Di Maria has an Italian passport so won't need a work permit. Will surely play against Burnley if LVG deems him to be fit enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Blatter wrote: »
    Apparently Di Maria has an Italian passport so won't need a work permit. Will surely play against Burnley if LVG deems him to be fit enough.

Wouldn't have international clearance to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

brinty wrote: »
    Wouldn't have international clearance to play

Burnley on Saturday, not MK Dons tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Blatter wrote: »

Real Madrid had him designated as a non-EU player so he didn't have the passport as of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ya the UK are a bit weird on that, they dont allow free movement of workers like the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,658 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man im still buzzing

I just cant wait to see him in the no7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Burnley on Saturday, not MK Dons tonight.

Sorry my bad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Ya the UK are a bit weird on that, they dont allow free movement of workers like the EU?

He wouldn't have an 'EU' visa, only a spanish visa, he'll need to apply for a UK one (or happy days if he has an italian PP)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement