Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm excited about the signing, but I hope it will mean the team returning to a back four.

Will people be happy if Di Maria is played as the number 10 or as one of the strikers in the current formation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

bangkok wrote: »
    Barcelona signed 8 this summer.. :rolleyes:

They won't be signing players for another two years, they had to invest now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

bangkok wrote: »
    Barcelona signed 8 this summer.. :rolleyes:

Change of the type of manager, facing a transfer ban, team not as successful as recent years, and a bit of a circus in terms of manager since Pep left.

So, you have to take all these things into consideration.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Come on club! Confirm Di Maria!!

tumblr_ltdjn8vtcg1qii6tmo1_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Where's the stalker who was tracking the plane yesterday, and why hasn't he updated us on the progress of the medical?

I wanna see the shirt in his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wouldn't mind seeing a Rooney or RVP tonight. Chance to get on the scoresheet and get confidence going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd imagine we're looking at a team of fringe players tonight? Something like...
    Amos
    Keane - Jones - Blackett
    Raf
    James
    Anderson - Cleverly
    Kagawa
    Welbeck - Wilson

Back line is going to be based on who is available, but not ideal asking them all to play again so quick. Maybe Evans for a spell? Not sure who else we can play there though unless we raid the reserves. Likewise with Cleverly. Hernandez could be in for Welbeck. Wouldn't be shocked to see RVP get a run out for fitness.

Would be good chance to give Varela or Janko as a wing back. I think all the first team CBs will be rested, at least Jones and Blackett. We don't have anyone left to play on Saturday.

Hopefully one of the CM from reserves get a shot at first team today along with Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Would be good chance to give Varela or Janko as a wing back. I think all the first team CBs will be rested, at least Jones and Blackett. We don't have anyone left to play on Saturday.

Hopefully one of the CM from reserves get a shot at first team today along with Wilson.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ben Pearson getting a chance tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

hardly going to believe us
    but we are going to win the league!!!

20 ****ing times!!!!!

sorry just happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

They won't be signing players for another two years, they had to invest now

two transfer windows not two years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing a Rooney or RVP tonight. Chance to get on the scoresheet and get confidence going.

Id say RVP will either start the first half or the last 30 mins, coming off/on for hernandez. He would br able to play the full game at the weekend then

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm excited about the signing, but I hope it will mean the team returning to a back four.

Will people be happy if Di Maria is played as the number 10 or as one of the strikers in the current formation?

What happens to Mata / Possibly Januzaj??

I really dont think we can afford to do that, imagine if we lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Come on club! Confirm Di Maria!!

tumblr_ltdjn8vtcg1qii6tmo1_250.gif

have a feeling it wont be until this evening....no way the medical and everything would be sorted this quick, he only arrived late last night.

have a feeling it wont be until this evening....no way the medical and everything would be sorted this quick, he only arrived late last night.

In that case this tantrum is really going to tire me out. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

glued wrote: »
    Real Madrid had him designated as a non-EU player so he didn't have the passport as of last season.

You sure? Can't find anything online that gives me a list with that info on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

RVP in with a shout surely after only playing part of Sunday and it was his first game.

be hoping james start and hope janko starts too. would really like if janko stepped up now if van gaal doesnt rate rafael it would be better than playing valencia out of position
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    RVP in with a shout surely after only playing part of Sunday and it was his first game.

woudnt risk starting either of them tbh. maybe have them on the bench and if things go wrong bring them on for 30 minutes but we need a win saturday and need the 2 of them to be fit and ready

Id say RVP will either start the first half or the last 30 mins, coming off/on for hernandez. He would br able to play the full game at the weekend then

Looked rusty at the weekend, so imagine he needs minutes. Not disrespecting MK Dons but could be nice to build confidence and fitness for him.

• Advertisement

Looked rusty at the weekend, so imagine he needs minutes. Not disrespecting MK Dons but could be nice to build confidence and fitness for him.

In fairness to him the supply wasn't there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Agree. I think RVP will get at least 45 minutes. Hope to see Rafael too, still not sure why he hasn't shown his face yet as he's apparently been available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

A lot of players looked rusted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You are doing excellently with your pledge so far.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

We should go full strength or close to it, no messing, play the system we are trying to implement, get more used to it, win the game comfortably and gain confidence for the weekend.

It's not really disrespecting them. Id like to see him start along with another senior player and kill the game off in the first half. I wouldn't like to see the fringe/youth players start.

Maybe I'm thinking this game is too big to not take seriously, mk dons will be all out to take us on. It would make me nervous starting the youth players.

We should have no problem beating them, but same was said about the last 2 games

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    You are doing excellently with your pledge so far.:)

He actually went over by two characters there. :pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What happens to Mata / Possibly Januzaj??

Januzaj would have a great opportunity to get games on the wing if we go 4411 (or 433 as LVG calls it).

Would you be happy with Mata being dropped to make way for Di Maria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,658 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ericzeking wrote: »
    We should go full strength or close to it, no messing, play the system we are trying to implement, get more used to it, win the game comfortably and gain confidence for the weekend.

Bang on. Im thinking the same. The players still need time to adjust to LVG's playing style and they need all the games they can get at the moment

BvbEMw0IIAApX54.jpg

Starting XI that thrashed arsenal almost 3 years ago. its crazy when you look at it and thats arguably a weaker team than was fielded in the first 2 games and yet we failed to win either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This guy has an idea, a 4312 switching to a 4231 on attack.

https://twitter.com/ConstantRed/status/503324579474186240/photo/1

Di Maria LCM, Mata CAM, Rooney LS, RVP RS, doing something like this.

The midfeild three goes to a holding two when Di Maria attacks, Rooney drops back a little which sends Mata out too the right and RVP advances solo. Nice bit of fluidity to it.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »

LVG has already said he'll be playing a different team. He doesn't like the idea of 2 games in 48 hours.

Evans is fit and has travelled with the squad tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

magnumbud wrote: »
    BvbEMw0IIAApX54.jpg

Starting XI that thrashed arsenal almost 3 years ago. its crazy when you look at it and thats arguably a weaker team than was fielded in the first 2 games and yet we failed to win either.

I was at that game, with an Arsenal fan :D

Arsenal were riddled with injuries that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Januzaj would have a great opportunity to get games on the wing if we go 4411 (or 433 as LVG calls it).

It shouldn't be necessary, he'd be the 2nd best winger at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

MK Dons have Samir Carruthers. Irish international at under age levels. Was with Aston Villa but moved this year. Was on the Aston Villa youth team that was very successful. Has 3 caps in the Premiership and a player I thought was going to crack into their team. He decided to leave though for regular football.

Might be playing today so that's one to watch for from an Irish point of view. Would be worried about Dean Bowditch I'd say he's Dons biggest threat.

I'm hoping we don't get sucker punched and we do well today. No excuses will be given and a poor display will cast more doubts even with Di Maria brought in. Need the lads to step it up.

No, I would want all three in the starting 11.
    I really want to see Januzaj progress.
    And in fairness to Mata 7 in 10 is not a bad return. At least now we have that injection of pace with Di Maria and I think Mata will benefit greatly from it.

Just not sure exactly how they all fit in and I think 'cramming' is not the answer. Not to mention the Rooney / RVP situation and the possibility of more signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Evans is back for the game tonight, thank fcuk. I just feel a lot more confident when he is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lads, I don't know. he's a great player and all, but shouldn't we be signing a midfielder? Do we really need Van Persie?

The midfeild three goes to a holding two when Di Maria attacks, Rooney drops back a little which sends Mata out too the right and RVP advances solo. Nice bit of fluidity to it.

That's the Real Madrid formation that lots of people have been suggesting, based on Di Maria's success there. I'm sceptical about it because Real were using an extremely pacey and athletic front three. We'd be using the opposite of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah here, if United can't easily dispatch the MK Dons there's really something to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

RayCun wrote: »
    Lads, I don't know. he's a great player and all, but shouldn't we be signing a midfielder? Do we really need Van Persie?

??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah here, if United can't easily dispatch the MK Dons there's really something to worry about.

It's happened before, let's not mention Southend.....

Liam O wrote: »
    It shouldn't be necessary, he'd be the 2nd best winger at the club.

Mata would be a defensive weakness if he's played wide. He doesn't have the legs to get up and down the pitch. Barring a miraculous change in his physical abilities I wouldn't be happy seeing him on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Would love to see Wilson playing. I think he's savage.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQi9QpQUXN8LN_v3eH6Y5K8bIMdcxKrsGzH1gV5ZLCG7Pf8Vq97

I feel there is a risk with constantly chopping formations.Squad isn't intelligent enough. Personally feel we need 1-2 options and stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I get the reference.gif

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No, I would want all three in the starting 11.
    I really want to see Januzaj progress.
    And in fairness to Mata 7 in 10 is not a bad return. At least now we have that injection of pace with Di Maria and I think Mata will benefit greatly from it.

Just not sure exactly how they all fit in and I think 'cramming' is not the answer. Not to mention the Rooney / RVP situation and the possibility of more signings.

You could go with the diamond midfield, like in Your Airbag's post above, I'm just not sure it would work with the forwards we have.

If we did go with that formation, I think Januzaj could possibly get a lot of games by being first choice back-up in all of the front five positions.

there are 2 ways i can think of it going and i could be 100% wrong

a 442 diamond with someone sitting protecting the defence and ideally starting the ball going forward carrick or maybe even fellaini could do this role when fit or if a deal could be done for a certain chilean. then di maria on the left and herrera on the right of CM both have massive work rate engines and great passing and can get out wide when needed to help out the fullbacks(ideally shaw and rafa) then mata sitting on top of the diamond behind rooney and rvp.

The other way is a 433 but not in a typical way. same deal with someone sitting in a quarterback style role then herrera still on the right of a 3 but mata on the left but a bit more central then di maria on the left rvp central and rooney kinda central both more so on the right. in this di maria would be working back to help shaw allowing mata to focus on creating and going forward and herrera would help out the right back allowing rooney to stay forward almost like Villas role for barca a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

idriswink.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement