Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Gazzetto dello sport saying vidal has said his goodbyes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I take it I'm in the minority in thinking that Rafael isn't worth a Manchester United first 11 spot?

he isn't. but there's no better alternative.

Jones & Smalling are horrific on the ball in a full back position and valencia hasn't got the discipline or positional sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

He was out the door two weeks ago so he's left it fairly late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

twam2008 wrote: »
    Couldn't have been, they've run out of R's.

They have also had to stop selling Cleverely jerseys as well because the have run out of the letters t,c & u & n

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

magnumbud wrote: »
    think its just the place thats across in the car park that does them on around matches thats sold out and not the megastore itself. surely it does take that long to get them for united

I'd say it's pure bs, just thought it was funny.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/man-utd/news/man-utd-run-out-of-letters-for-di-maria-shirts_173214.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

They haven't, that's just twitter bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

RayCun wrote: »
    I'd go with

De Gea
    Rafael---Evans----Rojo
    Shaw
    Herrera
    Jones

Rooney
    Mata
    Di Maria----
    RVP

if we're shoehorning players in.

But I'll happily leave it up to LVG :)

Jeez, that formation looks more crooked than Van Gaal's nose.

Fusbol formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Vidal for Jones will make a big difference ;)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Vidal for Jones will make a big difference ;)

Jones

De Gea
    Rafael---Evans----Rojo
    Shaw
    Herrera
    Jones

Rooney
    Mata
    Di Maria----
    RVP

Vidal

De Gea
    Rafael---Evans----Rojo
    Shaw
    Herrera
    Vidal

Rooney
    Mata
    Di Maria----
    RVP

Will make it worse actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

SSN saying ADM is on 190k a month, pictures taken with him in the shirt, medical done last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

MagicIRL wrote: »
    SSN saying ADM is on 190k a month, pictures taken with him in the shirt, medical done last night.

A week surely?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    A week surely?

They did say a month, unless the reporter got it wrong. And I mean verbally say.

He must really love Manchester :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

I think Blind will be the final signing for midfield rather than Vidal or the pair of them perhaps more accurately. Speaking to an Ajax supporting mate, he is adamant that Blind was far more impressive in midfield than left back for them. Maybe, just maybe it's simply Vidal as first choice with Blind as backup. Should be an interesting final few days to the transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Must be a mistake, even in Madrid he was on 400K STG a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I take it I'm in the minority in thinking that Rafael isn't worth a Manchester United first 11 spot?

He was arguably in the top 3 or 4 players two seasons ago performance wise. He defended well and also done the attacking duties that Valencia can't do. Last season he was injured constantly and United were horrific at the back, Moyes made Vidic look like McShane.

He is without a doubt good enough but with his questionable fitness we could do with somebody to compete with him for the rb spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

They did say a month, unless the reporter got it wrong. And I mean verbally say.

lol i doubt he took a paycut to join us 47.5k a week :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Heres the video of it. Needless to say he meant a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Kharrell wrote: »
    I think Blind will be the final signing for midfield rather than Vidal or the pair of them perhaps more accurately. Speaking to an Ajax supporting mate, he is adamant that Blind was far more impressive in midfield than left back for them. Maybe, just maybe it's simply Vidal as first choice with Blind as backup. Should be an interesting final few days to the transfer window.

No reason we can't get both hell even get De Jong and make it all three.

Jorge Mendes looks menacingly happy. Hes been a busy man this summer.

1409057949875_wps_1_Pic_Paul_Cousans_Zenpix_L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Seeing as we're going our best line-ups now I may as well shove mine up.

De Gea
    Rafael/Jones---Evans----Rojo
    Shaw
    Herrera
    Fellaini

Mata
    Rooney
    Di Maria----
    RVP

First of all I think Jones deserves his place in the side, but I think Jonny Evans is by far our best defender, and much like Rio Ferdinand he is a great ball player, very much two-footed, can find space and is an excellent passer, which is why he should be a fixture in central defence.

Because of this I think Jones should be knocked over to RB which is unfortunate seeing as he's played well in the last couple of games, a good defensive asset to have out wide and he is also capable of the odd burst forward, not as good at it as Rafael but he's less erratic in defending as Rafael (although he's at fault for diving in the odd time himself). For this reason I think they should be rotated depending on the type of opposition we're facing, but by default I'd rather see Jones at RB.

With regard to Fellaini, I think he's our best current option for the second CM role beside Ander Herrera. He played very well for Belgium in the World Cup, and he's a good strong presence which we've lacked in midfield since the Roy Keane left (I'm NOT comparing them). I think he's been given a hard time from supporters and not rightfully either, he was just had the great misfortune of joining United in our worst season in decades, and when you consider the fact that everyone else except DDG had a bad season you have to say he's been given a tough ride.

Carrick is getting on, he's slow, not as strong or defensively capable as Fellaini and not exactly useful at set pieces. Fletcher is past-it, his performances in the first 2 games have been dire, potentially our worst player in both of them, hopefully when our options are less hindered by injuries we'll see less of him. I won't even bother about Cleverley and Anderson. Preferably though we get someone else in, because other than Herrera, are choices are poor.

Mata-Rooney-Di Maria I would play as the Attacking Midfield "pivot" that LVG made wort so well in his first season at Bayern and is the formation that other top teams like Dortmund, Real Madrid and Chelsea have adopted; works for them too! None of them necessarily are playing as wingers, but they can take up positions on the wings, the best thing about it is the 3 players are interchangeable and can play in any of the other positions within the AM 3 and their movement is intended to be dynamic which suits all 3 players and also suits how LVG wants us to play.

Unfortunately that means dropping Januzaj, who we all want to see playing and improving on a consistent basis, but if Mata doesn't start playing the way in which he is capable he may see himself get more game time. Mata hasn't done anything at United yet and maybe temporarily dropping him will give him the kick up the arse he needs.

TL;DR: That's my team! I hope you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

This torture, I'm just waiting for the first pictures of Di Maria with the United kit so it feels more final!

sums up my day so far...

looking-at-computer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Has there been anymore on Juan Cuadrado recently?

Might as well sign him now on top of Vidal and Blind :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

J. Marston wrote: »
    He failed his medical.

*Runs away*

Ahh, that takes me back to a wonderful conversation with an Arsenal fan in the final throws of the RVP signing.

Me: did you not hear? Van Persie failed the medical.

Him: Ha! The turncoat ****. Serves him right. I'm ****ing glad to see it. Let him rot in the reserves now. What was wrong with him anyway?

Me: His back is wrecked from carrying the whole Arsenal team the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The next few days, the Vidal stuff is going to go into overdrive. Would help if one or the other made some comment.

Has there been anymore on Juan Cuadrado recently?

Might as well sign him now on top of Vidal and Blind :P

No. Cuadrado just been linked with Barca last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

TheDoc wrote: »
    The next few days, the Vidal stuff is going to go into overdrive. Would help if one or the other made some comment.

Why would it help? Surely, based on what we've seen to date, we won't hear a peep until legal formalities are being finalised.

Proper order too. Tip of the cap to Woodward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Must be a mistake, even in Madrid he was on 400K STG a month
    Isn't it ridiculous when it's obvious that a wage of 190k per month is a mistake. It really is a completely different planet these guys live on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheDoc wrote: »

United: Manchester United do not comment on transfer speculation.

Juventus: We have never said Vidal is for sale (although he is for the right moolah)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Nuts102 wrote: »
    No reason we can't get both hell even get De Jong and make it all three.

Maybe. Also have to look at it from a Juventus point of view. They'll need to bring in a replacement if the sell Vidal to us. Not much time left, though they might have been working on something behind the scenes. I'd be happy with Blind for now and Strootman in January, or maybe a renewed bid for Vidal then if Juventus fail to make it past the group stages once again. De Jong would be a fantastic stop gap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Young ones out in force for todays game!
    Thorpe, Janko, McNair, Wilson, Pereira, Vermijl, Amos, James & Powell have all travelled with first team for game vs MK Dons [via @0stman]

Wilson for a brace surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Wilson is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Give Vermijl, Powell, Wilson and James a chance tonight and I'd be happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Young ones out in force for todays game!

be very interested to see how Janko, Wilson, Pereira, James & Powell get on in particular

Surprised Janko didn't feature in the pre-season tour myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Did anyone see Henriquez play for Zaragoza last year? Was he any use? 5 goals in 15 appearances, not a terrible record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bangkok wrote: »
    Barcelona signed 8 this summer.. :rolleyes:

Whats funny is that you think you are scoring a point here, unfortunately since everybody else knows why Barca re stockpiling players your post just looks foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

magnumbud wrote: »
    couldnt disagree more. think he was one of our best players 2 seasons ago and injuries simply halted his progress last season

Yeah, have to say I don't get the Rafael hatred in here much. He was poor last year, but if we are judging players on that basis then what the hell is Phil Jones still doing at the club?

What worries me with Rafael is sometimes lacking discipline keeping on his feet, and that I have never seen a player react so poorly to getting booked. Most players put their heads down and try to keep a low profile after booking, with Rafael it's like a rag to a bull, as if he figures he will get away with more since he has been carded already, and decides hit headedness is the better option. It's bizarre really.

But his weaknesses are things that typically improve with experience, and he did only turn 24 a few weeks ago so is still pretty young on the whole. I would prefer a better RB alongside him to battle for the position, but I don't get why some are so desperate to get rid of him.

For me it's a case that if he were English there would be a lot more hype around and praise for him in the media, commentary, punditry, etc which would also bleed through to the fan base. It's certainly worked a treat for Jones, and he's been an absolute liability more often than not at CB for his entire Man Utd career (though he does have the potential to be very good, don't get me wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

In all this excitment did anyone else see Nani missed a penalty on his debut? Oh Dear.

In all this excitment did anyone else see Nani missed a penalty on his debut? Oh Dear.

And got booked. Mind you, we should really want him to do well, might be some chance of moving him on then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Billy86 wrote: »

What worries me with Rafael is sometimes lacking discipline keeping on his feet, and that I have never seen a player react so poorly to getting booked. Most players put their heads down and try to keep a low profile after booking, with Rafael it's like a rag to a bull, as if he figures he will get away with more since he has been carded already, and decides hit headedness is the better option. It's bizarre really.

This is what annoys me about raf i just always feel hes going to get booked and hes walking the tightrope for lots of games I am actually amamzed that he has not been sent off more in his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kryogen wrote: »
    Whats funny is that you think you are scoring a point here, unfortunately since everybody else knows why Barca re stockpiling players your post just looks foolish.

no I actually called it months ago before the ban was ever in place that they would be signing at least 5 players that would go into the first team. I was laughed at back then

Anyone know what time our next transfer is at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

no I actually called it months ago before the ban was ever in place that they would be signing at least 5 players that would go into the first team. I was laughed at back then

Your being laughed at now aswell. Barca appealed a ban just for the sake of making a raft of signings to cover them for two years. Any reasonable football fan was aware of this. Fair play to you for calling it months ago though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

duffman13 wrote: »
    Your being laughed at now aswell. Barca appealed a ban just for the sake of making a raft of signings to cover them for two years. Any reasonable football fan was aware of this. Fair play to you for calling it months ago though!

2 years? I think you will find its 2 transfer windows. get the facts right at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So then you knew how stupid the other post was and used it anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

sky88 wrote: »
    This is what annoys me about raf i just always feel hes going to get booked and hes walking the tightrope for lots of games I am actually amamzed that he has not been sent off more in his career.
    It's something that should improve with maturity, and LVG might be the guy to beat it into him, but it really is baffling. I'm trying to think of an equivalent, and all that's coming to mind is the kid with a chip on his shoulder in secondary school who would be messing about in class get given out to or warned by the teacher, and react by sulking and doubling down on acting up for the rest of the class, like they were daring the teacher/ref to be dismissed.

Evra sometimes had issues with this, but usually had the cop on to know when he was walking the line. With Rafael it's just not the case, and it's by far the biggest thing he needs to correct about his game. It's infuriating at times too because it is such an easy thing to correct, compared to having to work on something like anticipation, crossing, athleticism, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement