Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Lads, Carrick was rubbish last season and he's 33 now. I can't see him returning from injury to emulate his form from our title-winning season. He doesn't even suit the more mobile tactical setup that van Gaal seems to be implementing. Let's not fall into the trap of pinning our hopes on him coming back to save the day. It's time to build a new midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

So he's been at United 7 years, what happened the other five, he wasn't injured for all of them.

He was fůcked about, in and out of the team and never given a decent run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I know right, one of our best players 2 years ago. and me wanting him to be on form. My sides are killing me.

I am literally rofling all over the floor, any floor will do me at this stage.

Valencia was one of our best players a few seasons ago, (one season really). I don't see the clamour for him to be given a chance.

Nani was thrown in and out of the team because he wasn't do the business on the pitch. If he continued to do the business week in week out, Fergie wouldn't have dropped him. It's that simple. Where a few years ago it was the odd frustrating game that ruined his form, the last few years he's had less good games than bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Di Maria Herrera Vidal Januzaj

5945506054_a05d1ee940.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

bangkok wrote: »
    carrick is a great player, it really shows when he is not in the team how much of a miss he is

Carrick isn't a great player. He slows the play down every time the ball goes to him. And he's scored five goals in the last four seasons. That is not the record of a great midfielder.

He's been a good servant to the club, not a bad player at all, but he's not and never has been top level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He's not a great player, he's the best of a very bad bunch. He's been the one mainstay in our midfield the last five years, five years where our midfield has been infamously ****.

ah stop, I suppose that's why all the players at united used to rate him as one of the best players at the club and why arsene wenger said carrick would be well suited to the Barcelona team. the amount of off the ball work and positional play carrick has is up there with the best

Carrick isn't a great player. He slows the play down every time the ball goes to him. And he's scored five goals in the last four seasons. That is not the record of a great midfielder.

He's been a good servant to the club, not a bad player at all, but he's not and never has been top level.

Zero assists last season too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

lol if we are going to go off players form last season we wont have more than 5 players left

ah stop, I suppose that's why all the players at united used to rate him as one of the best players at the club and why arsene wenger said carrick would be well suited to the Barcelona team. the amount of off the ball work and positional play carrick has is up there with the best

Jesus, what are the other United players supposed to say.

"Carrick, ah yeah he's ****ing useless"

If you think Michael Carrick, a 33 year old midfield who got us no assists last season, and most definitely doesn't help speed up United play in transition.on the break... deserves a space in the team because some other professionals say nice things about him.

Carrick is better than what we have, but he does a job. We're Manchester United, I want midfielders that offer more than 7/10. Don't think it's that much of an ask.

• Advertisement

hes not in the team to score goals. he is a deep lying midfielder, I presume you have seen him play a lot.

Iniesta scored 8 league goals in the last 3 years and plays an attacking midfielder role with Barcelona and is widely regarded as one of the best players in the world, so would you also say he is poor if you are going by stats?!

good point, pity Ferguson and LVG don't agree with you, but hey what do they know about this weird and wacky game we call football.

Fergie had Valencia as an ever present long past the point where he'd been playing well. LVG had Van Bommel as a regular at Bayern and also bought and rated Gustavo. Neither of the two managers are infallible.

And if you disagree and think that we can never disagree with a manager's decisions then a football discussion forum becomes pointless.

magnumbud wrote: »
    lol if we are going to go off players form last season we wont have more than 5 players left

True but it's a statistic to show he wasn't helping us going forward. The likes of Rooney are coming back into midfield because our midfielders aren't good enough with the ball.

hes not in the team to score goals. he is a deep lying midfielder, I presume you have seen him play a lot.

Iniesta scored 8 league goals in the last 3 years and plays an attacking midfielder role with Barcelona and is widely regarded as one of the best players in the world, so would you also say he is poor if you are going by stats?!

You've failed to provide a statistic for the goals he contributed to... 8 goals but how many assists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

duffman13 wrote: »
    They can't sign players till January 2016 it's 18 months away if you want to be pedantic! It's mid season aswell so finding players who are not cup tied etc won't be easy. In that time what do you think Real and the rest of Europe will be sitting still. They had to go big this window and anyone with a slight interest in football knew it!

What I am now more concerned with in relation to the barca issue is that we get De Gea signed up to a new contract ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Valencia was one of our best players a few seasons ago, (one season really). I don't see the clamour for him to be given a chance.

Nani was thrown in and out of the team because he wasn't do the business on the pitch. If he continued to do the business week in week out, Fergie wouldn't have dropped him. It's that simple. Where a few years ago it was the odd frustrating game that ruined his form, the last few years he's had less good games than bad.

Valencia to be given a chance? The man has started the vast majority of games for the past 2 seasons and had almost zero contribution in that time. The man has had 10 times the amount of chances as Nani in the past 2 years and done nothing with them, that is the main reason people are so annoyed about how differently the 2 players are treated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Accepting the likes of Carrick as integral first team starters is one of the reasons the squad has turned into such mediocrity, and big lulz comparing him to Iniesta.

At his age now he should be a squad player and I'd be happy to see that, just not a starter anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Whether people dislike Carrick or not besides Herrera he is our next best midfielder. Is he a world beater no would i love Vidal, De Jong, Blind etc yes but Carrick as things stand is badly needed.

Valencia to be given a chance? The man has started the vast majority of games for the past 2 seasons and had almost zero contribution in that time. The man has had 10 times the amount of chances as Nani in the past 2 years and done nothing with them, that is the main reason people are so annoyed about how differently the 2 players are treated.

Valencia played right back at times the last two seasons. Is known for tracking back, albeit hardly to a great standard. Nani hasn't offered anything going forward or back, and that's why two coaches like LVG and Fergie didn't like him. LVG even went and changed out formation because our wingers weren't good enough! Surely if Nani was good enough he'd have given him a chance on one side of the wing.

what do you not understand about carricks job in the team?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

If vidal did sign id love him to take no23 just to píss of cleverly give him the highest number in the squad which would be his rank also :pac:

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Whether people dislike Carrick or not besides Herrera he is our next best midfielder. Is he a world beater no would i love Vidal, De Jong, Blind etc yes but Carrick as things stand is badly needed.

I'll definitely agree he's needed right now... because Fletcher and Cleverley are shocking, just think we shouldn't be relying on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Hmmm Carrick 10 assists in the past 4 seasons vs Iniestas 46 assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

twam2008 wrote: »
    Arturo-Vidal.jpg

I think you forgot something......:pac:

8546_424242424.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Carrick's and Inesta's roles in their respective teams are completely different so why compare those stats? pretty dumb imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Carrick is a very good player, fills in gaps, makes good interceptions and keeps the play ticking along, he's very good for the sitting/holding role. To criticize him for a lack of assists last season is to show that you really don't understand his function in the team. I'd imagine in the previous season when he was all of a sudden being lauded he didn't have many assists either.

There are better defensive midfielders out there, of course, but surround him with decent players and he can be very good for us.

xtal191 wrote: »

who is comparing the 2 of them?!!! I just used it as an example to prove stats can show anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jaysus is Di Maria signed yet and stop all this faffing about and nani, carrick crap talk...

True but it's a statistic to show he wasn't helping us going forward. The likes of Rooney are coming back into midfield because our midfielders aren't good enough with the ball.

I'm no defender of Carrick, but assists are an awful stat to use in judging a CM, even when you are trying to judge creativity.

matic at Chelsea, no goals no assists but what a f**king player, would love him at united

brinty wrote: »
    jaysus is Di Maria signed yet and stop all this faffing about and nani, carrick crap talk...

yes he is signed, down at OT now getting photos taken, holding up the no7 shirt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ugh, I'm so sorry about the Carrick debate.

I clearly said IF he was on form, not just throw him in for lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

xtal191 wrote: »

That is the most ridiculous comparison I've ever seen, surely compare him with Busquets/Alonso/Javi Martinez? He's not on any of of their levels but at least he plays the same position :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hes passed the medical, just give us pictures damnit!

what do you not understand about carricks job in the team?!

When he was signed he had an eye for the killer pass. He doesn't have that any more.

He is not good when pressured, passes it sideways and backwards.

His role as you mentioned isn't all that attacking but to screen the defence, but he can't be doing that good of a job if our defence are getting overrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Hes passed the medical, just give us pictures damnit!
    Sky obviously don't know the rules, pics or GTFO :D

That is the most ridiculous comparison I've ever seen, surely compare him with Busquets/Alonso/Javi Martinez? He's not on any of of their levels but at least he plays the same position :confused:

He wasn't the one that brought up the ridiculous comparison though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

"The unveiling of Di Maria has been delayed due to the Megastore running out of R's to put on jerseys. United spokesperson asks fans and media to wait patiently as a representitive goes on a supply run to pick up some more R's from the nearest sports shop."

*not actual quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

computer-skeleton-meme-generator-update-will-arrive-we-just-have-to-wait-914c33.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Do the embedded tweets fail to work for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

keane2097 wrote: »
    Do the embedded tweets fail to work for anyone else?

Every once in a while, but mostly they work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

"Should be confirmed as a united player in the next hour to two hours"

17.gif

Just to be clear, I have done bugger all work today due to the ongoing anticipation. :cool::o

When he was signed he had an eye for the killer pass. He doesn't have that any more.

He is not good when pressured, passes it sideways and backwards.

His role as you mentioned isn't all that attacking but to screen the defence, but he can't be doing that good of a job if our defence are getting overrun.

He was signed for having a good eye and a killer pass. Fergie coached him to play a more sweeper role sitting deep and protecting the back 4 and keep it simple.

The highlighted part is more to do with the lack of quality beside him in midfield. He is no world beater but has been the number 1 midfielder in a side that for 5 years had fantastic success despite rarely having a decent partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I have done bugger all work today due to the ongoing anticipation. :cool::o

+1

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »

And just to further clarify, that's not that much different from any other day, it's just a different reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He better be confirmed before 7pm! I'm training 7-8, then home, watch the game recorded about 20/30 mins behind so no internet for me until the final whistle. If I miss the gif party I'll scream.

This is not true. Valencia was picked ahead of Nani in that time and he most certainly wasn't doing the business. Nani wasn't picked for some reason other than what was being done on the pitch.

You really are just going through all the exact same steps of this debate as have been done before.

Now I think your next line is "Well at least Valencia was good defensively." He isn't. Despite all the hype, Valencia is no better defensively than the average winger and Nani is no worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He better be confirmed before 7pm! I'm training 7-8, then home, watch the game recorded about 20/30 mins behind so no internet for me until the final whistle. If I miss the gif party I'll scream.

I've a match! Be gone from 5:30-9ish even worse!

The myth of Valencia being good defensively always gave me a laugh. Any winger who barely attacks is going to look good defensively because he is neglecting his attacking duties and will be deeper than where a winger should be.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement