Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

a good cross imo is one where you make the defender turn towards his own goal, where the ball is whipped in between the last defender and the goalkeeper and gives the striker the opportunity to run onto and either head or strike with the ball with his foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Lads, feck off!!!! I have sky pauses ten minutes behind!!

5-1 Chelsea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

irishfeen wrote: »
    How the hell can you pause live sport? ... not a hope I could do it..

Needed a cup of tea and a bowl of noodles. Just saw the second goal. Brilliant assist.

Not looking forward to us playing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Needed a cup of tea and a bowl of noodles. Just saw the second goal. Brilliant assist.

Good choice my friend, good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You don't pause live sport ... its just not acceptable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

bangkok wrote: »
    a good cross imo is one where you make the defender turn towards his own goal, where the ball is whipped in between the last defender and the goalkeeper and gives the striker the opportunity to run onto and either head or strike with the ball with his foot

So by your criteria, none of Nani's on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lads, feck off!!!! I have sky pauses ten minutes behind!!

Not specific to you but anyone who uses the internet while trying to avoid real time events is asking for trouble. It's bound to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

So by your criteria, none of Nani's on Saturday.

yes they were poor crosses and whoever says they were good is just doing so for the sake of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ah for jaysus sake I've Sky paused by 20mins and you've just ruined it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

As we discussed on here before, much to everybody's annoyance, pick a united player who'd get on that Chelsea team!!

The next couple of weeks are so important for united, at the moment we are heading for two seasons without champions league football. Then getting quality players in becomes even more difficult than it is being made look this summer.

As we discussed on here before, much to everybody's annoyance, pick a united player who'd get on that Chelsea team!!

The next couple of weeks are so important for united, at the moment we are heading for two seasons without champions league football. Then getting quality players in becomes more difficult than it is being made look this summer.
    Mata without Mourinho as manager...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Well I've broken down what I think is a good cross and individually rate all of Nanis crossing on Saturday.

You said it was a 50% and marked it 7/10, or 70%. I don't know how you could rate the four crosses in that video a 7/10

If you want to break down your criteria of a good cross and how it relates to what was in the video I'd be happy to hear it.

I think you'll avoid though, in no reality was that a 7/10 crossing preformance

I've already explained my reasoning on how I rate crossing in general and gave some additional explanation on my rating of 7/10 for Nani's crossing. That is all you need to understand how I arrived at that rating. I'm not going to go through it again now for you.

With regard to the bold I said that he had a 50% strike rate for good crosses to poor. That does not immediately equate to how good his crossing performance was, because it doesn't account for how good or bad the crosses he put in were and what sort of strike rate for good to poor crosses is normal for wingers in general.

You don't agree with how I rate crossing and I don't agree with how you rate crossing. We both know this. You constantly repeating that you don't agree with my rating of Nani's crosses is utterly pointless.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/1991460/manchester-uniteds-transfer-window-travails-under-louis-van-gaal-and-ed-woodward

This is not a nice read at all. Absolutely damning stuff here.
    I nearly choked on my noodles, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    I've already explained my reasoning on how I rate crossing in general and gave some additional explanation on my rating of 7/10 for Nani's crossing. That is all you need to understand how I arrived at that rating. I'm not going to go through it again now for you.

With regard to the bold I said that he had a 50% strike rate for good crosses to poor. That does not immediately equate to how good his crossing performance was, because it doesn't account for how good or bad the crosses he put in were and what sort of strike rate for good to poor crosses is normal for wingers in general.

You don't agree with how I rate crossing and I don't agree with how you rate crossing. We both know this. You constantly repeating that you don't agree with my rating of Nani's crosses is utterly pointless.

No you haven't. Ive read evey reply and I havent seen an explanation.

Mata without Mourinho as manager...

That's it though :(

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

That would mean that all crosses that pick out a man in space in front of the defence (eg for a player arriving late into the box) are not good crosses. It would also mean that many crosses picking out a free man at the back post (eg Swansea's for the second goal on Saturday) are not good crosses. Both of those assertions are incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

The lads on MUTV tonight seemed fairly certain Rojo is on his way.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/1991460/manchester-uniteds-transfer-window-travails-under-louis-van-gaal-and-ed-woodward

Nothing ground breaking there red, most if not all in that has been covered at length in here.. its all just a bit sad and a bit embarrassing...

Nothing ground breaking there red, most if not all in that has been covered at length in here.. its all just a bit sad and a bit embarrassing...

The bit about missing out on a player over 2 million quid is new to me. Could that have been Di vrij?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If true it shows just how useless we are at transfer dealings but who is to blame? Ed. glazers

• Advertisement

That's it though :(

Rooney and RvP are at least as good as Diego Costa. Shaw is as good as Azpilicueta. Rafael is at least as good as Ivanovic. DDG is very close to Courtois.

Mourinho is in his second season at the club and is just now getting things how he likes them. LVG is still in his first. People need to chill the fúck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gotta post this as it is eating me alive, is Woodward the bastard child of Barney Stinson and Henning Berg?

Hococop wrote: »
    If true it shows just how useless we are at transfer dealings but who is to blame? Ed. glazers

Bit of both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'm flicking between this place and the red devils subreddit so depressing! :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Will Ogden be next to resort to opinion writing since United are giving them nothing to report? Jackson at it earlier, now Delaney.

I guess fans annoyance is an easy theme to go with to get those clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Head in the sand.

The bit about missing out on a player over 2 million quid is new to me. Could that have been Di vrij?
    Yeah that was new to me too alright but its been widely reported that United won't hardly budge from values the put on players... ironically for the club to please the fans over the next two weeks they will have to totally throw that away because clubs now know United are in "Panic Buying Mode" AKA "The Marouane Fellaini £27.5 million Mode"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I read that Miguel Delaney article earlier alright. It makes for horrific reading for utd fans, even if only half of it is accurate. Very disappointing.

Something very strange has to be going on behind the scenes. The inability of utd to get such crucial business done is mind boggling.

Think Woodward should be confined to sponsorship deals. Bring a new man to handle all transfer dealings

I'm just thinking to myself here after watching our rivals play the past few days where do we go?

What's next for the club because as things stand with the team and the way where doing business I just don't see where things are gonna get better.

There's such a big gap where it counts right now I'm following United about twenty years and can't remember to many times feeling this way.

We could go out there and sign some great players in next week or two but even then I just don't know what outcome would be.

• Advertisement

I'm just thinking to myself here after watching our rivals play the past few days where do we go?

What's next for the club because as things stand with the team and the way where doing business I just don't see where things are gonna get better.

There's such a big gap where it counts right now I'm following United about twenty years and can't remember to many times feeling this way.

We could go out there and sign some great players in next week or two but even then I just don't know what outcome would be.

I don't mind being out of the running for the title for a couple if seasons, as long as there is progression on the pitch and that our transfer policy is reformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

People shouldn't discount the position of Director of Football as ''trouble waiting to happen'' simply because they're not used to them and is one which could actually work extremely well if done correctly.

But rather than getting into the debate again, is there not a way of hiring someone in a similar role who would technically be ''under'' the manager in terms of making decisions on players to sign and so wouldn't upset the apple cart with needless signings? Because lets face it, at the minute we're probably signing just as many needless players without one as it is.

I don't mind being out of the running for the title for a couple if seasons, as long as there is progression on the pitch and that our transfer policy is reformed.

Where is it going to come from with our current setup though?

Even with Van Gaal there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I know exactly where your coming from. Its uncertain times ahead but all we need is defensive cover and a CM and we'll be good to go. Having no CL is a huge help for the team. If we were in that, I couldnt see us get 4th with his team.

We also have a great manager under us and once the club gets use to the formation, it will come good. Im sure of it. We will get 4th spot and ill be delighted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know it wasn't an ideal start but jakers it's only one game. I'd wait a bit before predicting another poor season and rolling out the doom and gloom cannons.

It's only 1 game out of 38, long way to go yet.

Headshot wrote: »
    I know exactly where your coming from. Its uncertain times ahead but all we need is defensive cover and a CM and we'll be good to go. Having no CL is a huge help for the team. If we were in that, I couldnt see us get 4th with his team.

We also have a great manager under us and once the club gets use to the formation, it will come good. Im sure of it. We will get 4th spot and ill be delighted with that

What makes it worse for me is look at the teams around us and the position there in. We went threw a rough patch before but our rivals where not near as strong as they are now.
    The longer this goes on its gonna be incredibly hard to catch up.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know it wasn't an ideal start but jakers it's only one game. I'd wait a bit before predicting another poor season and rolling out the doom and gloom cannons.

I was positive enough looking at how our pre season went but then I watched the game on Saturday.....

It was just like last season again and as the days and weeks pass by this summer we watch our rivals strengthen while where "preparing bids" for players.

This ain't just the period of one game this has been an issue a long time now and it doesn't look like getting any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Its not about one game, its about another disastrous Summer transfer window when we needed it much more than the teams above us yet they've all added to their squads and we have done nothing like what we needed to do. After seeing what happened last year how can you not have a problem with it happening again?

I was positive enough looking at how our pre season went but then I watched the game on Saturday.....

It was just like last season again and as the days and weeks pass by this summer we watch our rivals strengthen while where "preparing bids" for players.

This ain't just the period of one game this has been an issue a long time now and it doesn't look like getting any better.

The way I see it is there were some promising signs in the preseason. Injuries didn't help for the first game but also one game won't do away all the work done this summer. I fully expect the team to improve this year under VG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    People shouldn't discount the position of Director of Football as ''trouble waiting to happen'' simply because they're not used to them and is one which could actually work extremely well if done correctly.

But rather than getting into the debate again, is there not a way of hiring someone in a similar role who would technically be ''under'' the manager in terms of making decisions on players to sign and so wouldn't upset the apple cart with needless signings? Because lets face it, at the minute we're probably signing just as many needless players without one as it is.

I forgot to add, someone in that role described or a Director of Football would also give a chief executive someone to hold accountable for transfer dealings - meaning he himself wouldn't be judged on comings and goings and wouldn't feel the need to impress everyone with a needless marquee signing.

No you haven't. Ive read evey reply and I havent seen an explanation.

You're right. I lost track a bit with this conversation being so unnecessarily long and painful. I had talked about what I think is an acceptable strike rate of good to poor crosses, not what a good cross was.

So here you go:
    I would call a good cross one that either:
    - Goes near a team mate giving them a reasonable chance to do something useful with it, ie with an appropriate speed and trajectory
    - Or goes into an area where a team-mate might reasonably be expected to be (like the channel between the defenders and the 'keeper, when there is a striker lurking on or close to the last shoulder)

Now, we both know that we fundamentally disagree on what qualifies as a good cross. We already knew that. So why don't we just leave it there?

The way I see it is there were some promising signs in the preseason. Injuries didn't help for the first game but also one game won't do away all the work done this summer. I fully expect the team to improve this year under VG.

I hope so but to be totally honest I think if we don't sign at least two big players before end the month where not getting into the top 4. If we miss out on the cl again next season I really think it could set the club back in a major way much worse then now.

Where is it going to come from with our current setup though?

Even with Van Gaal there.

Ah, all is not lost. Personally I think we are short of a top central midfielder, even very good central defender, an attacking player with genuine pace and a right wing back. And a season for The squad to adapt to the managers vision.
    It will take time but we can get there. By the end of this season we could be flying.
    But we have to sort out the way we do business.

Thanks for posting, sums it up. Hope they somehow get their skates on over the next fortnight, made all the more difficult as clubs won't have time to replace if they sell as it's so late in the window now.

Fingers crossed

twam2008 wrote: »
    Its not about one game, its about another disastrous Summer transfer window when we needed it much more than the teams above us yet they've all added to their squads and we have done nothing like what we needed to do. After seeing what happened last year how can you not have a problem with it happening again?

As much as the transfer window hasn't been going to plan, you can't deny the majority of fans were positive after some good displays in the preseason, then we lose at home on opening day and the mentality took a u-turn.

I never said I was happy with the lack of transfers but to start predicting a terrible season after 90 minutes of football and the transfer window still open seems a bit over the top in my eyes.

I know most disagree but it's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Tbh, I'm surprised the Glazers haven't looked at going that way. NFL teams often have a load of officials for that with GMs, Director of Player Personnel

Ah, all is not lost. Personally I think we are short of a top central midfielder, even very good central defender, an attacking player with genuine pace and a right wing back. And a season for The squad to adapt to the managers vision.
    It will take time but we can get there. By the end of this season we could be flying.
    But we have to sort out the way we do business.

There's alot of possiblitys and ifs there ha. Nothing is certain that's my worry there's as much chance of us ****ing up another season then there is having a great one.

That's not an issue this club should be worrying about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

All this cross-talk about crosses is making me cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I think Woodward is even more out of his depth than Moyes was so, although it's highly unlikely, I'm getting worried about these Di Maria rumours. The guy could panic, again, and buy a player we don't need, to try appease the fans/critics.

The situation is very like the Mata one. Madrid need to offload him and there's no one else who can afford him but they must fancy their chances of getting a ridiculous amount of money from someone as naive as Woodward.

Getting gouged is one thing but I will spontaneously combust if he brings in a vanity signing like Di Maria before 2 CBs and a DMC.

Can somebody tell me what van Gaal's record on scouting and buying players has been like over his managerial career.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement