Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I realise that but I'd forgot all about him until I seen him tonight surely he's on his way out

Mata is ahead of him. Don't be surprised to see him leave in the coming days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That is exactly what is required - MONEY and LOTS of it ! The squad has not had investment in key positions for some time. How else do you expect the players to be signed ? IOU ?

It's just throwing bad money after bad.

We need a serious restructure of the football side of the club. The medical staff are clearly incompetent as we're consistently always fcuked with injuries. You can blame some to bad luck, but when we've got a lot of players constantly out, I have to wonder what's going on.

Can't say much about the scouting that goes on against opposing teams, but scouts have done fcuk all in actually identifying and acquiring players, both for the senior and youth sides. Far more can be done in getting in players young to our team at 16 and developing them, or in actually making decent signings for the first team rather than tossing money at clubs.

Our youth team seems to be developing nothing either. Understand it's hard for players to break through (especially when not given a chance like Pogba), but we seem to be turning out nothing, and have for a while.

We'll throw money around, but ultimately, but that's just short term thinking. The club is in a much bigger hole than spending 200m+ in one summer will fix, and bringing in 6/7 new first team players in one summer is hardly going to be very successful.

When they don't work out, we're stuck with them too, as we're paying them giant wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Reedsie wrote: »
    He mentioned he can play on the wing as well as in the centre. I don't feel we'll see a change to the system just yet.

He specifically said we can now change system!!!

To the Cattermole fan club (of one), well you just need to get a grip on reality, generally smashing into people doesn't mean he has heart and if it did we have Fellaini who can show "heart"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I thought kagawa was supposed to be the man and was just badly used by fergie and moyes maybe the fact that these people who see him day in day out know he's pure crap and not what every utd fan thought he would be
    You obviously never saw him playing for Dortmund or you wouldn't be calling him pure crap.

Some people need to calm down. Look at the team that played most of the match. You will not see that line up again.

Things will turn around soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

TheDoc wrote: »
    Outragous over reaction to this. Largely inexperienced team. You'd swear we lost with our first team.

Can't speak for everyones reaction but i assume its the manner of the defeat than the defeat itself. Sure the team was made up of first team rejects, subs and youth players...but there is no excuse to not play with passion and hunger...unless you dont have any to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Surely sneirdlin (couldn't be area googling the spelling) at southampton would be a perfect fit for utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Ha, got in before. I can't imagine how much restraint that took to keep it short.

Kudos.

You just wouldn't believe. Although finding im just barreling out direct points. No fluff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

adox wrote: »

I know I'll get jumped on in here but people are totally over reacting. Tonight has little bearing on the season ahead.

people are over reacting in the sense that this is the game that they believe prooves our squad is bad however....we left 16 of our first team squad at home tonight which is the problem i have, though of course not all 16 were available due to injuries and Rojo/Di Maria not yet available.

but jesus he could at least have taken 7 or 8 of the first team and had most of them on the bench incase we were struggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mata is ahead of him. Don't be surprised to see him leave in the coming days

Van Gaals comments about him not being able to do what he wants him to do if he had to play him in midfield were pretty damning, even though it's not his position. The fact that he didn't trust him as an emergency option and then brought on Adnan to play there was probably the clearest signal that he doesn't fancy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Surely sneirdlin (couldn't be area googling the spelling) at southampton would be a perfect fit for utd

True bit it's not going to happen for anything less that stupid money. Southampton don't need the cash, have sworn up and down that he won't be sold and know United are desperate. I think United would have to break £30million to get him.

portcrap wrote: »
    Can't speak for everyones reaction but i assume its the manner of the defeat than the defeat itself. Sure the team was made up of first team rejects, subs and youth players...but there is no excuse to not play with passion and hunger...unless you dont have any to begin with.

What match did you watch? No issue with passion or hunger. Issue was horrendous passing and decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

LVG - "Fans have been incredible - I cannot believe it..." ...

"Judge me at the end, not now"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Outragous over reaction to this. Largely inexperienced team. You'd swear we lost with our first team.

To be honest though with the likes of De Gea, Evans, Hernandez, Welbeck, Kagawa and Anderson starting you'd expect us to beat a League 1 mid table side fairly handy.

We've put out young teams before who have done decent enough in the cup and todays result was awful. One of the worst in recent history.

It's not the end of the world by no means but it's an unwanted disappointment when our team has been struggling.

If we had lost 1-0 or 2-0 most wouldn't have got too worried but to lose 4-0 was very bad. Was a lacklustre display and I don't think we even had a shot on target until the 60th minute.

As little relevance as this result will have to upcoming matches I still think it is understandable fans would be annoyed. Fielding young teams is nothing new in the cup. Being completely outplayed by a League 1 side is very disappointing though.

Let's just hope this weekend brings a good display and good result, it's very much needed.

We already bought the best from Southampton last season. We will be aiming higher than that, thanks.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    You obviously never saw him playing for Dortmund or you wouldn't be calling him pure crap.

That form seems a life time away
    I also recall andy Carroll being good at Newcastle

We already bought the best from Southampton last season. We will be aiming higher than that, thanks.[/

Seriously he'd walk on to the utd side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can I ask a serious question lads?

What happens if united fail to finish in the top 4 again this season. Is that when the real trouble starts and the bigger players force moves out of the club. Do the transfer fees and wages become simply unsustainable.

We had this at Liverpool but we also had two ****ing leeches running our club at the time so ye are probably in a better position.

I know! Thank god we didn't buy him for a shed load of money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rooney
    RVP

Mata

Di Maria
    Herrera
    ?
    Shaw
    Rojo
    Jones
    Raf
    Gea

What ya think lads? We still need that CM. Come on ED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

people are over reacting in the sense that this is the game that they believe prooves our squad is bad however....we left 16 of our first team squad at home tonight which is the problem i have, though of course not all 16 were available due to injuries and Rojo/Di Maria not yet available.

but jesus he could at least have taken 7 or 8 of the first team and had most of them on the bench incase we were struggling.

Other side of that is, if he wants to get his first team squad training together as much as possible then he needs them available for full training tomorrow. After a match, I'm sure those who played will have a light session or rest day. Otherwise you're risking further injury to a team that is down a number of guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone that even trys to come out with the ''Where overreacting'' crap seriously needs to cop on.

Your gonna lose games fine your gonna have bad days obviously but theres no excuse for Manchester United losing 4 bloody nil to the Mk Dons no matter what team we put out tonight we had the players in it that where bloody well good enough to win us that game they just didnt do a ****ing **** worth for the club or for themselves.

I dont see any kind of positives from a result like this other then at least we where put out of our misery nice and early and u wont get no fools thinking we could actually win this cup that we where good enough!.

We already bought the best from Southampton last season. We will be aiming higher than that, thanks.[/

Seriously he'd walk on to the utd side

Not when carrick and Herrera are fit, no

irishfeen wrote: »
    LVG - "Fans have been incredible - I cannot believe it..." ...

"Judge me at the end, not now"

our fans were incredible tonight, feel sorry for them heading all the way down there tonight, paying the guts of £100+ for train and ticket and having to witness that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'm not too concerned about the capital one cup. Yes it was a poor display but nothing to fret over.

Two things I'll say after tonight though

1. LVG may have a tougher job on his hands with the youth acadmey then the first team.

2. I hope we go to 4-3-3 or 4 something, anything. Shaw on the left, Raf on the right getting forward and wingers too. The wing backs 3-5-2 system doesnt suit us, our width policy is too ingrained in the club. LVG says it will take 3 months for the sytem to settle in. Given the weakness of our squad we could be in real trouble by then

What match did you watch? No issue with passion or hunger. Issue was horrendous passing and decisions.

I dont disagree with the fact bad decision making and passing were two of half a dozen reasons for the loss but there is no denying that MK Dons wanted the win more...couldn't be anymore obvious. You wouldn't say that there was a 4-0 difference in skill levels between the teams...if anything we put out the better team in terms of ability...remove the ability difference and it comes down to desire every single time. The fact that our team is better on paper makes the loss even worse.

Sky Sport Italia going with "Red Devils humiliated..." - Hopefully Vidal turns a blind eye :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

None of the other things you listed were hyperbolic and releasing/selling Anderson is a good call to me.

Hence why it looks extremely unlikely it was hyperbole, just something silly.

If I felt strongly about Evans genuinely needing to be fined I would have no problem debating it. It is possible to exaggerate and be serious within one post. I have posted enough silly things in the past so you can add that one to the list if you really want to.

our fans were incredible tonight, feel sorry for them heading all the way down there tonight, paying the guts of £100+ for train and ticket and having to witness that performance.
    Things will come good in the end with LVG - Believe

Other side of that is, if he wants to get his first team squad training together as much as possible then he needs them available for full training tomorrow. After a match, I'm sure those who played will have a light session or rest day. Otherwise you're risking further injury to a team that is down a number of guys.

the thing is though, you look at the teams Chelsea and City will put out in the next round - they will field a team pretty much full of internationals.

we could have done the same tonight and still had plenty of rest time for Burnely, leaving 7 of that starting team the next day for the bench incase we were in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

To be honest, with the amount of injuries already this season I was glad so few travelled and was disappointed to see quite a few first team squad players in the starting line up, for fear they'd get injured in such a nothing game.

Look it was ****ing awful to watch, they looked clueless after the first goal. Went in, I'm in no way blind to that fact. But the only priority this season is to get back in the top four if possible. I don't think tonight's game had any bearing on that. It may have though if we did have some first team players come on after playing 48 hours ago and pick up an injury.

I'm still not convinced the squad as it is has a realistic chance of fourth this season. A CM is most definitely needed and a leader at the back too. But that was like that before tonight's game and remains the same.

It was an embarrassing night for the club but nearly instantly forgettable in the grand scheme of things.

Saturday couldn't come any sooner ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

could be worse, could be Celtic fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

I've been a United fan for over 40 years. Apart from relegation to the old second division, I have never been more depressed. The manner of the defeat is deeply worrying. To be outplayed like that by a league 1 team is unacceptable. Our reserves or third team should at least be able to compete, but no, we lost 4-0 and were outplayed! The Senior players involved should hang their heads in shame. Lack of game time is no excuse, these are Utd players ffs.
    I hope the B team idea never happens, on this evidence we would be relegated.
    How has Welbeck ended up playing for Utd and England???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

really could not give a **** about the milk cup
    _77182397_454213090.jpg

You just wouldn't believe. Although finding im just barreling out direct points. No fluff.

I need to ring the bookies to get a price on this. How long are you keeping the short posts thing up??

How about you explode with a theasus if we sign blind, Vidal and de jong :P

God help us they are in awful decline - Rangers going bankrupt was the worst thing that ever happened them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

But they still have Europe to look forward too.

Lofty123 wrote: »
    I've been a United fan for over 40 years. Apart from relegation to the old second division, I have never been more depressed. The manner of the defeat is deeply worrying.

one of the lads that travels over with us (he is a good bit older than the rest of us) pretty much said the same a few mins after the game, said it was the worst performance he can remember in his 33 years going to games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

After reading a few posts after the match and letting it sink in, it was a league cup game. A cup for the top teams to put out youngsters to see if they can hack it.

A lot of the pool supporters in here as a few utd supporters are putting far too much weight on this result.
    Yes it was bad, but it's the league cup, it would hae been nice to go a bit further but hopefully it teaches the younger lads a valuable lesson. That's the main thing.

We have never cared about the league cup. It's just a nice exercise for the youths to be shown competitive football where the other team really wants to beat you.

portcrap wrote: »
    I dont disagree with the fact bad decision making and passing were two of half a dozen reasons for the loss but there is no denying that MK Dons wanted the win more...couldn't be anymore obvious. You wouldn't say that there was a 4-0 difference in skill levels between the teams...if anything we put out the better team in terms of ability...remove the ability difference and it comes down to desire every single time. The fact that our team is better on paper makes the loss even worse.

That's Sky sports commentator talk. We gifted four goals.They created **** all on their own. Perspective please.

RayCun wrote: »
    really could not give a **** about the milk cup

Sure we won that :pac:

_76695969_pe_00437634.jpg

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I need to ring the bookies to get a price on this. How long are you keeping the short posts thing up??

How about you explode with a theasus if we sign blind, Vidal and de jong :P

Until Friday 5:30. Saturday 2pm release my novel from the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ok lets put this into a positive light if that is possible . It means less games now for a weak squad to focus on getting at LEAST fourth spot in the league. We need to believe in his style that he is trying to force - however evans et al are not good enough and this needs to be addressed if he is going to continue with the system.
    The flip side of that is with Utds huge squad there is going to be a lot of unhappy players at the club. With no europe or domestic cup games until the new year a huge chunk of your squad will not be getting any gametime which doesnt help morale.

That's Sky sports commentator talk. We gifted four goals.They created **** all on their own. Perspective please.

And the sky commentator would be right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

But they still have Europe to look forward too.

Ya nights away in Slovenia... Yipeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Andy Carroll was average at Newcastle,Kagawa was player of the year/team of the season in Germany for the champions.

See the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

irishfeen wrote: »
    Things will come good in the end with LVG - Believe

Ultimately he will get it sorted. This is without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

who remembers the league cup in 94/95?

We don't want anymore injuries or fitness concerns.

Tactical loss by VG ;)

yeah let's go with that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement