Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I have been hating utd for 25 odd years and last year was great for me in regards to utd but it's no fun any more
    My utd mates have lost their sensitivity after the battering the took
    Well at least you's know how we felt for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lofty123 wrote: »
    I've been a United fan for over 40 years. Apart from relegation to the old second division, I have never been more depressed. The manner of the defeat is deeply worrying. To be outplayed like that by a league 1 team is unacceptable. Our reserves or third team should at least be able to compete, but no, we lost 4-0 and were outplayed! The Senior players involved should hang their heads in shame. Lack of game time is no excuse, these are Utd players ffs.
    I hope the B team idea never happens, on this evidence we would be relegated.
    How has Welbeck ended up playing for Utd and England???

Just counting domestic cup games of the last 40 years. This is the worst you have felt? Seriously?

Southend 06, Bournemouth 84, York 95, Southampton 76, Exeter 05. Exeter, a **** conference team and we couldnt beat them at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

The flip side of that is with Utds huge squad there is going to be a lot of unhappy players at the club. With no europe or domestic cup games until the new year a huge chunk of your squad will not be getting any gametime which doesnt help morale.

Yup, make no mistake, a lot of youngsters tonight threw away a fair amount of game time for the season and more importantly than that, more opportunities to show they are worth a place in the squad...

No positives to be taken from tonight, well except if its the VERY last time we see some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I'm hoping this game will be the turning point for the 3-5-2 system, doesn't work for us, we don't have the players for it. I don't think the sky has fallen, it's hard to have perspective on such a shockingly awful performance, and felt this game was a real opportunity for fringe players to show their worth, the first two games of the premier league were due to poor midfielders and wingbacks. We need a confident back four, and a DM, and injured players to return, who I think will be brought in before the week is out.

kryogen wrote: »
    Just counting domestic cup games of the last 40 years. This is the worst you have felt? Seriously?

Southend 06, Bournemouth 84, York 95, Southampton 76, Exeter 05. Exeter, a **** conference team and we couldnt beat them at home.

I think this result coming off the 'lift' of Di Maria is adding to the hurt, the Di Maria was supposed to be a breath of fresh air around the club, this sours it somewhat...

Cup shocks are part of the game, just slightly more depressing when you've got HAMMERED on the same day you break the transfer record :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I have been hating utd for 25 odd years and last year was great for me in regards to utd but it's no fun any more
    My utd mates have lost their sensitivity after the battering the took
    Well at least you's know how we felt for years

Don't feel too sorry for us. We will be back rather sooner than some think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

No positives to be taken from tonight, well except if its the VERY last time we see some of them

James Wilson was a positive, he was our best player IMO. showed more in 25 minutes than the other attackers showed in 90.

he deserves to be in the first team 18 for Burnley.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

Dont remember the scores from these games, did any of them beat us 4-0?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Don't feel too sorry for us. We will be back rather sooner than some think.

Can't wait there would be nothing better in world football than utd and liverpool challenging for titles unfortunately were both miles behind city and Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter. At least one Utd fan isn't too disappointed:

https://twitter.com/Holly_elise/status/504372900561178625

• Advertisement

Off hand, York was 3-0 can't remember the rest, prefer to forget most of them anyhow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If its in the bracket of worst I ever felt well no

2 CL final defeats, Last day of 11\12 season, West Ham 95, Liverpool 92 hurt million times worse.

But in terms of embarrassment then yes its up there. 3rd team in some ways or not.

:) So its all about the score line?

Were you not bothered a bit then by the humiliation by City at Old Trafford? When Liverpool humiliated us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

York beat us 3-0. I remember reading the match report in the United magazine as a kid wondering who the hell York were. That was at Old Trafford too. And it wasn't a bad team we started - although Kevin Pilkington was in goal so you're about two goals behind before you started with that buck.

Umaro wrote: »
    Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter. At least one Utd fan isn't too disappointed:

https://twitter.com/Holly_elise/status/504372900561178625

I saw that scoreline as 250/1, where was it 500/1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think I've calmed down now.Got a little hysterical for second. Just wish it was Saturday already, need to get that out of my mind. Anyone know id Di Maria is available Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

anger subsiding.

has Di Maria been confirmed as no 7 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal used the words luck and unlucky in his interview, déjà vu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

with it being capital one cup i wouldn't have it anywhere near the worst result in years gone by.

Results in league and FA by far out weigh anything in this cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think I've calmed down now.Got a little hysterical for second. Just wish it was Saturday already, need to get that out of my mind. Anyone know id Di Maria is available Saturday?

He said if VG needs him he can play on Saturday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

James Wilson was a positive, he was our best player IMO. showed more in 25 minutes than the other attackers showed in 90.

Agreed there.

As much as I love Hernandez and want him to do well, and as much as I acknowledge that the lack of creativity in the center of the field is costing him, I really do feel his time is up. Wilson deserves to be ahead of him now at this stage as we look to the future.

Likewise, Kagawa and Anderson look like players who know their time is up too

Hoping that once we finish our inward transfers, we at least have a few outward loans. No CL football and now no cup football til the new year means we seriously don't have any need to keep a lot of dross around. I reckon you could cut Hernandez, Kagawa and Anderson and not see any impact on the squad whatsoever right now. Cleverly too if we bring in another CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Bit of a balls to be out of this cup, with no Champions league we don't have that many games....players wages rise and rise yet they play less and less games between by being rested here there and everywhere. Its mad Ted.

We should safely be able to sell/loan quite a few with our fixture list.

However we do have this injury list, maybe we have a few lads with a touch of the Louis Sahas

I'm open to correction but exetor were in non league football and still got a draw against us at home in 2005. That was awful, remember watching it in the pub in back in college. The scoreline isn't everything.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Agreed there.

As much as I love Hernandez and want him to do well, and as much as I acknowledge that the lack of creativity in the center of the field is costing him, I really do feel his time is up. Wilson deserves to be ahead of him now at this stage as we look to the future.

Likewise, Kagawa and Anderson look like players who know their time is up too

Hoping that once we finish our inward transfers, we at least have a few outward loans. No CL football and now no cup football til the new year means we seriously don't have any need to keep a lot of dross around. I reckon you could cut Hernandez, Kagawa and Anderson and not see any impact on the squad whatsoever right now. Cleverly too if we bring in another CM.

Pereira looks to have a bit about him too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Moyes never lost by more than 3 goals

#MOYESIN

Di Maria right about now

Ub6odNc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ericzeking wrote: »
    Pereira looks to have a bit about him too

I liked what I saw, and James looks decent too, but both still seem a bit off the first team to me. Loans could do them well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I thought Kagawa was doing a decent job until he decided to headbutt your man and concuss himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I liked what I saw, and James looks decent too, but both still seem a bit off the first team to me. Loans could do them well.

Thought James was awful tonight, really poor in both directions.

Still he was one of many.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I thought Kagawa was doing a decent job until he decided to headbutt your man and concuss himself.

He knew what was coming!

Think I'll call it a night, anyone going in to work or that tomorrow remember to stay strong if you know any other fans :pac:

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Thought James was awful tonight, really poor in both directions.

Still he was one of many.

we fell apart after kagawa got injured, Adnan had perhaps his worst game for the club so far, cant blame him though he is only 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Gonna be a tough few days

https://twitter.com/EdDzeko/status/504369406382964737

More gems
    MK Dons squad cost just £235,000 - less than Rooney's weekly wage.

vunazu7y.jpg

not sure what to make of this..
    Mark Ogden @MOgdenTelegraph · 51m
    LVG says he wasn't shocked by the result tonight. That's quite an admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Anyone got any idea what has happened to Rafael? He's supposedly not injured and yet hasn't even made the bench for any games yet.

I felt sure he'd have been involved tonight and was just not fully match fit, but no sign of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Robbed from the humour thread. Am I wrong to have laughed and thanked it?

2e3ybea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

That seems a bit tasteless from dzeko he always came across as a fairly quiet player, then again I don't go on twitter so who knows our lads could do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why would he? The man is a great manager and knows like most of us the team/reserves isnt good enough.

LVG has a big job on the Youth System but thats probably an after thought until the 1st team is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He was the only positive for me and he has to stay as a serious striking option imo. Starters or no starters, I found tonight's team performance was utter gutless.

Too much of what LVG is saying is being taken literally, word for word.

His English is still lacking a touch.

Headshot wrote: »
    Why would he? The man is a great manager and knows like most of us the team/reserves isnt good enough.

LVG has a big job on the Youth System but thats probably an after thought until the 1st team is sorted.

Last post before I'm off but speaking of the youth system I remember reading a while ago he has the youth's training with the 3-5-2 formation now (apparently they hadn't been before but he mentioned it to them) so if any do get bumped up to senior squad they can slot in easier.

Rough start so far but I'm sure given time things will come together and we will be back to winning ways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

All week its so exciting with all the transfer talk, anticipation of Di Maria, the thoughts of getting a good win under our belts. And then this.

Its been a roller-coaster of emotions these last 2 weeks. Swansea, Sunderland and now MK Dons. :(

Burnley to pick up their first league points of the season this weekend? Please no!

:) So its all about the score line?

Were you not bothered a bit then by the humiliation by City at Old Trafford? When Liverpool humiliated us?

Yes I was extremely disappointed with both of those defeats, but at least both city and liverpool were on a par with us, not mid table in league one. Losing 4-0 to such a team is humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Last post before I'm off but speaking of the youth system I remember reading a while ago he has the youth's training with the 3-5-2 formation now (apparently they hadn't been before but he mentioned it to them) so if any do get bumped up to senior squad they can slot in easier.

Rough start so far but I'm sure given time things will come together and we will be back to winning ways.

Yeah, watched them play Liverpool on Friday night and they were using it. Didn't notice any major problems with it. Unlike tonight. Surely 4-3-3 the way to go though?

Our club has only known 4-4-2 or varations of this. The club was entrenched with this mentality and will take time LVG to transform the club. I'm fully behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Our club has only known 4-4-2 or varations of this. The club was entrenched with this mentality and will take time LVG to transform the club. I'm fully behind him.

As am I. Give him time before judgements are made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Same as that. It takes a good time to change an entire philosophy and a players mindset when it's been ingrained in them for so long.

How did Wesley Schnider end up rotting in Turkey? Why did we not snap him up? Oh to have him in our midfield now.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, here's to a win and a good performance against Burnley.

P.S. anyone else worried that di maria may be a bit light weight for the premier league.

KH25 wrote: »
    As am I. Give him time before judgements are made.

It's pretty stupid to even doubt the man. I shouldn't have the say I'm fully behind him. It should be a given. Same for everyone. You get behind this great manager and give him the support he needs.

Man Headshot is fair different when he's upbeat

Yes I was extremely disappointed with both of those defeats, but at least both city and liverpool were on a par with us, not mid table in league one. Losing 4-0 to such a team is humiliation.

Failing to beat a non league team in the FA cup at home was much more difficult to watch/accept tbh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Van Gaal has that haunted hunted look that Moyes had when he realised just what he had gotten himself into. He looks shook. Like a ghost. He has aged 10 years since he took over.

Will be gone by Christmas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement