Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Twas Not wrote: »
    Van Gaal has that haunted hunted look that Moyes had when he realised just what he had gotten himself into. He looks shook. Like a ghost. He has aged 10 years since he took over.

Will be gone by Christmas

He doesn't and he won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lofty123 wrote: »
    How did Wesley Schnider end up rotting in Turkey? Why did we not snap him up? Oh to have him in our midfield now.
    He hasn't been the player he was for quite a while, and he is not central midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I wouldnt be too worried about a league cup loss if i were you, nobody cares about it. You guys do the business at the weekend and this will be quickly forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

How did Wesley Schnider end up rotting in Turkey? Why did we not snap him up? Oh to have him in our midfield now.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, here's to a win and a good performance against Burnley.

P.S. anyone else worried that di maria may be a bit light weight for the premier league.

Another No 10. Genius.

Don't know how some of these "journalists" aren't sacked with some of the rumors they pull out of their arse!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/396446/EXCLUSIVE-Manchester-United-weigh-up-SHOCK-20m-move-for-Liverpool-midfielder-Joe-Allen

Best one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Van Gaal has that haunted hunted look that Moyes had when he realised just what he had gotten himself into. He looks shook. Like a ghost. He has aged 10 years since he took over.

Haha Jesus Christ. The reactions are just funny at this stage.

The Capital one cup people. Do you really bloody care about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Another No 10. Genius.

Thanks for the correction "genius".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Evans was an utter disgrace for the last goal. Barely attempted the tackle and was half assed. Man u really need a top centre half to come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Thanks for the correction "genius".

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Try harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good to hear Di Maria say he will be playing in midfield and he has no problem playing in that position given he played in midfield last season.

Looks like the failed 3-5-2///3-4-1-2 system will be going for a more normal back four.

Think it will be all out for Vidal this week for a midfield three of Di Maria, Vidal and Herrera.

The defense should be more solid with a back four.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The format for the games is nice, but after that = no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Don't know how some of these "journalists" aren't sacked with some of the rumors they pull out of their arse!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/396446/EXCLUSIVE-Manchester-United-weigh-up-SHOCK-20m-move-for-Liverpool-midfielder-Joe-Allen

Best one yet.

20 million? Apparently his transfer value has somehow increased......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RobertKK wrote: »
    Good to hear Di Maria say he will be playing in midfield and he has no problem playing in that position given he played in midfield last season.

Looks like the failed 3-5-2///3-4-1-2 system will be going for a more normal back four.

Think it will be all out for Vidal this week for a midfield three of Di Maria, Vidal and Herrera.

The defense should be more solid with a back four.

Ya was thinking the same there tonight,the players just don't look comfortable playing in a back three.

Go with a back 4 and take it from there,going to be interesting to see how the team lines up at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

And then he woke up the next day and saw an Angel that told him everything would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

People writing off our youth system and holding up this game as an indictment of our squad quality are bonkers imo.

LVG has been doing some mad shīt with his new formation and tactics. If he can't get the regular players looking properly organised after a full pre-season (and that's on him btw) then there was no hope for this team that was just thrown together.

Luckily it was only the League Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭LandonRicketts

The "first teamers" playing tonight. Anderson, Wellbeck, Hernandez half arsed it for most of the game. An effort as if they know they will be out the door come September 1st. Shame Wilson didn't get more of a game tonight. Looked very promising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Bottom line for me is that it shouldn't be possible to select an XI at Man United that can't put it up to MK Dons.

Bottom line for me is that it shouldn't be possible to select an XI at Man United that can't put it up to MK Dons.

You can't compete without organisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

It turns out Di Maria was not just posing with that car. It's a wellcoming gift from Chevrolet. The brand new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. RRP $65,000

Bv_MjUYIYAAd3ls.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Pro. F wrote: »
    People writing off our youth system and holding up this game as an indictment of our squad quality are bonkers imo.

LVG has been doing some mad shīt with his new formation and tactics. If he can't get the regular players looking properly organised after a full pre-season (and that's on him btw) then there was no hope for this team that was just thrown together.

It's only the League Cup so getting all dramatic about it being the end of the world is overdoing it.

Nights like tonight should be of benefit to young players but at the same time, there were a number of experienced Premier League players playing tonight who didn't even come close to doing themselves justice.

Stupidity and carelessness in possession along with a serious lack of creativity lost us the game. It's frustrating when that same line could be used for any of our defeats over (at least) the last 12 months. The bright side is that very very few of tonight's players will feature for the rest of the season in games that really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Watched the first half before going to bed last night. Very disappointed to see the final result this morning. We should not be losing against the likes of MK Dons. This has been a nightmare start for Van Gaal. The players all look devoid of confidence and ideas on the pitch. Surely Van Gaal should be able to get better performances from them. Not sure why that isn't happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Watched the first half before going to bed last night. Very disappointed to see the final result this morning. We should not be losing against the likes of MK Dons. This has been a nightmare start for Van Gaal. The players all look devoid of confidence and ideas on the pitch. Surely Van Gaal should be able to get better performances from them. Not sure why that isn't happening.

You do realise that was a reserve team we fielded... do you???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Watched the first half before going to bed last night.

:eek:

Well myself and yourself couldn't have more different sleeping patterns if we tried :pac:

Must hit the hay now actually :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Oh that never crossed my mind....... Come off it. We had De Gea, Evans, Anderson, Januzaj, Hernandez and Wellbeck in the team. The others are capable players and we still lost badly to a third division side. I'm not saying the manager should be sacked or anything but I'm wondering why we've been poor for three games running. I'm sure things will improve but I hope it's sooner rather than later. I'm worried it may take longer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Reserve team or not that performance was just not acceptable, we had 3/4 players in that line up who have plenty of first team appearances and who are fighting for their OT futures, yet they just didn't step up.
    That team, on paper, should have won easily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

but I'm wondering why we've been poor for three games running. I'm sure things will improve but I hope it's sooner rather than later. I'm worried it may take longer though

Nothing really to wonder about. Not one single player who has featured in our first 3 games of the season would get a place in the first choice 11 of the top two favorites to win the league this season, Man Citeh and Chelsea.

Some interesting stuff about Vidal doing the rounds this morning.

Please be true!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nothing really to wonder about. Not one single player who has featured in our first 3 games of the season would get a place in the first choice 11 of the top two favorites to win the league this season, Man Citeh and Chelsea.

Rooney and RvP are just as good as what Chelsea and City have. And De Gea is just as good as Joe Hart. In some areas he's better.

It's a valid point about the squad being weaker but lets not go nuts with the hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Pro. F wrote: »

Name the last good youth player to come through to our first team? No one expects the likes of Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Neville, Butt etc to all come through in one go again, but we've really had nothing come into the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

titan18 wrote: »
    Name the last good youth player to come through to our first team? No one expects the likes of Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Neville, Butt etc to all come through in one go again, but we've really had nothing come into the side.

Januzaj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Januzaj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adnan_Januzaj

Januzaj was bought just over 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Januzaj

Januzaj is more an example of our scouting department doing a good job in identifying someone young that they can bring through and sign. He didn't spend much time in the youths for me to credit them with the success.

Not saying we need to be Barcelona with our youth academy, but we've far more resources than other teams available, and they still produce more. Look at what Southampton produce with a similar talent base. There's no reason we shouldn't be producing similar standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Man Utd could buy Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Silva, Fabregas, and the best players in the world but they would still play ****e if it was still Tom 'don't pass to me' Cleverley in the middle pulling the strings. Seriously - when will he just drop down a division and spare us the bloody agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pathetic performance but has no bearing on our season whatsoever.

If we stick to the same formation then only De Gea, Evans are our first choice players and if we switch to 4-3-3 then arguable only De Gea is first choice player.

Players like Janko, vermijl, Keane, James, Powell, Anderson are not even second choice. They are just third, fourth choice U21 players or players who will be moved in the near future.

IMO many are just getting worried too soon. Our summer signings hardly played. In a week or 2 we will line up with players like Rafael, Shaw, Rojo,Jones, Evans, Di Maria, Herrera, Mata, Rooney, RVP in the team. That's more than good enough. All we need is a one more good CM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Best one yet.

We'll throw in Glen Johnson for free if that helps!

"Today's La Stampa also reports that the agent was in England yesterday, reasons for alarm, La Stampa says United is ready to make a bid!"

#GdS: Yesterday, Vidal's agent Fernando Felicevich was in Manchester, while the player exited Juve's training ground avoiding the fans.

#GdS: There are talks that Vidal has already agreed a 5-year contract with Manchester which will see him earn 8m euros/year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Shocking scoreline last night to be fair but as mentioned already, a few wins on the bounce in the premiership and last night will be ancient history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Oh that never crossed my mind....... Come off it. We had De Gea, Evans, Anderson, Januzaj, Hernandez and Wellbeck in the team. The others are capable players and we still lost badly to a third division side. I'm not saying the manager should be sacked or anything but I'm wondering why we've been poor for three games running. I'm sure things will improve but I hope it's sooner rather than later. I'm worried it may take longer though

I agree. It's a terrible reflection on the senior outfield players and the U21 side when you look at the score line. 5 of our players were at the World Cup. Kagawa aside, the other senior players should be fined a fortnights wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Pathetic performance but has no bearing on our season whatsoever.

If we stick to the same formation then only De Gea, Evans are our first choice players and if we switch to 4-3-3 then arguable only De Gea is first choice player.

Players like Janko, vermijl, Keane, James, Powell, Anderson are not even second choice. They are just third, fourth choice U21 players or players who will be moved in the near future.

IMO many are just getting worried too soon. Our summer signings hardly played. In a week or 2 we will line up with players like Rafael, Shaw, Rojo,Jones, Evans, Di Maria, Herrera, Mata, Rooney, RVP in the team. That's more than good enough. All we need is a one more good CM.

I didn't see the game last night and you are somewhat right on the position of the players last night - but at the same time, such a performance has to be worrying. By all accounts we looked disjointed, couldn't pass the ball and made mistakes all night. That signals a lack of motivation, belief and understanding - all issues LVG has to take some responsibility for. It is all well and good saying things need time, and they do. It is all well and good saying the injury crisis has not helped us, and it hasn't - but there is simply no good reason why any United side should be losing 4-0 to a league 1 side. The result, and seemingly the performance, has to be cause for alarm - regardless of the players involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Some interesting stuff about Vidal doing the rounds this morning.

Please be true!!!

What stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What stuff?

One of the more or perhaps most reliable sources on Twitter said last night that a fee has been agreed. Normally I'd take it with a pinch of salt but this guy was pretty bang on days in advance of many transfers on the last few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

He was extremely bewildered in the post match interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

He was extremely bewildered in the post match interview.

No he wasn't.
    Sounded like he was half expecting a loss with such a young team

kstand wrote: »
    One of the more or perhaps most reliable sources on Twitter said last night that a fee has been agreed. Normally I'd take it with a pinch of salt but this guy was pretty bang on days in advance of many transfers on the last few weeks.

La Stampa and Gazetta today:

"Today's La Stampa also reports that the agent was in England yesterday, reasons for alarm, La Stampa says United is ready to make a bid!"

#GdS: Yesterday, Vidal's agent Fernando Felicevich was in Manchester, while the player exited Juve's training ground avoiding the fans.

#GdS: There are talks that Vidal has already agreed a 5-year contract with Manchester which will see him earn 8m euros/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Better off selling Anderson for petty cash around Carrington/Old Trafford - that was abysmal from someone who should be a senior player. I hope we never see him in the jersey again.

Even if that were true, which it's not, the fact remains that most of the United players used last night would easily get into the MK Dons team. And yet they were still tonked. So to ascribe the problems to player quality is not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

The one thing im most disappointed in is when lvg took over I was convinced there would be I shipping out of the deadwood poisonous players at old Trafford but it seems not to have materialised , for what reason I am bewildered. Id say there is more of a talent gap between the likes of rvp and cleverly than there is between cleverly and an amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

kstand wrote: »
    Can ya embed a few tweets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

dor843088 wrote: »
    The one thing im most disappointed in is when lvg took over I was convinced there would be I shipping out of the deadwood poisonous players at old Trafford but it seems not to have materialised , for what reason I am bewildered. Id say there is more of a talent gap between the likes of rvp and cleverly than there is between cleverly and an amateur.

The poorer players are probably being held back until the new players arrive, I'd expect to see a few departures this week. Also these guys are probably second/third choice for other clubs so more likely to be last minute deals.

Would expect Anderson/Zaha out on loan, Hernandez sold and maybe cleverly sold/loaned out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement