Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Would love to see him at united. Looks good on the ball and can provide the defensive cover the team is badly missing. 23mill is bargain price too!

Could be argued that we need a player like Carvalho more than we need Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Reckon the Vidal deal is dead at this point. I had been confident we would move for him - and get him - this week, but it is now looking like we have left it too late - and will have to move on to other targets. I felt there needed to be definitive positive movement on Vidal by today if we were to get him, and that doesn't look like it is going to be forthcoming. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Didn't watch that whole video of Carvalho but saw enough to want him here.

His build alone makes him better than Cleverley or Fletcher, for God sake. He'd actually be able to win a shoulder challenge for a start. Looks decent on the ball for a guy of his size a.k.a good touch for a big lad. Also, he doesn't look slow. Another upgrade on Cleverley, Fletcher and Carrick.

Spend the monies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

enviro wrote: »
    1558412_735299616537339_3179007704508665007_n.jpg?oh=15028da0adde3f59676748c87357676d&oe=545E242F

What's that in the reflection of the right hand side of the window?
    CSI Mode Activated - What's that light source?

TNpB7iq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If we'd just bought Athletico Madrid at the start of the summer, and loaned ourselves the players we needed, like City do we'd have been set long before now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Putting various rumours together, United want Carvalho, Vidal and Blind to replace Kagawa, Welbeck and Cleverley.

Fact is Vidal would score more goals than Welbeck.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Putting various rumours together, United want Carvalho, Vidal and Blind to replace Kagawa, Welbeck and Cleverley.

Fact is Vidal would score more goals than Welbeck.

Don't think that is accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I have not at all been encouraged by the reports on Vidal's knee situation.

He injured it least season but didn't get an operation as Juve wanted him for the run-in in the league, so he half recovers and plays a few games, probably with injections. Then after the last game he had an operation straight away that one of the Chilean doctors described as a rushed job so that he could be back for the world cup. He wasn't fit at the WC either, only playing 3 games and being subbed off in all of them.

After all that I'm not surprised Ed and the lads are a bit apprehensive about him, his knee may never recover after all that abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't think I've ever celebrated a player leaving but if we manage to offload Cleverley in the next few days, even on a loan, that would be special.

Reckon the Vidal deal is dead at this point. I had been confident we would move for him - and get him - this week, but it is now looking like we have left it too late - and will have to move on to other targets. I felt there needed to be definitive positive movement on Vidal by today if we were to get him, and that doesn't look like it is going to be forthcoming. Disappointing.

I don't think it's fair to blame Woodward on this one. Juventus clearly don't want to sell the player, and if they are forced to, they want mega money for a player who isnt 100% fit right now. It's a really tough transfer to do. The only way it could have happened (IMO) is if Vidal had come out and demanded the move. But he doesn't strike me as the type of man who would do that.
    Carvalho would be a beast. He's young and can be a part of our team for the next decade. I'm happy if we get him.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's fair to blame Woodward on this one. Juventus clearly don't want to sell the player, and if they are forced to, they want mega money for a player who isnt 100% fit right now. It's a really tough transfer to do. The only way it could have happened (IMO) is if Vidal had come out and demanded the move. But he doesn't strike me as the type of man who would do that.
    Carvalho would be a beast. He's young and can be a part of our team for the next decade. I'm happy if we get him.

I disagree with you central premise. I believe Juve were quite open to selling Vidal earlier in the window, but it is too late for them to reinvest so they don't want to sell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yep totally agree with this - if Vidal can't pass a full medical then we should leave well enough alone at least until January .... This won't be Ed's fault as the big picture cannot be forgot either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I disagree with you central premise. I believe Juve were quite open to selling Vidal earlier in the window, but it is too late for them to reinvest so they don't want to sell now.

Haven't Juventus been investing in replacements all summer anyway? I swear I have read "Juventus buys xxxxx, a replacement for Vidal?AuturON!!?!" A few times. :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Haven't Juventus been investing in replacements all summer anyway? I swear I have read "Juventus buys xxxxx, a replacement for Vidal?AuturON!!?!" A few times. :P

THats what I thought, to be honest.

However, I have seen said in a few places that Juve had put a deadline on selling Vidal, which passed a couple of weeks ago. It may not actually be true, but that is what I have seen - resulting in moves for him now simply being too late; similar to Di Rossi last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Hope this is bs, kind of fan and publicity we could do without

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/kim-jong-un-manchester-united-fan-4120104

we might we the league(at least there) this season

The "reliable" reports would suggest we made a bid earlier in the summer and it was rejected.

I would say Juventus wanted crazy money for him. Probably a large sum (£40m) plus a player, maybe chico or Kagawa.

On Kagawa, there were some stories floating around last night that Dortmund were ready to buy him back. I wonder if there's any truth in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

The "reliable" reports would suggest we made a bid earlier in the summer and it was rejected.

I would say Juventus wanted crazy money for him. Probably a large sum (£40m) plus a player, maybe chico or Kagawa.

On Kagawa, there were some stories floating around last night that Dortmund were ready to buy him back. I wonder if there's any truth in it.

only for rues. we solve our defencive problems buy buying forward :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Juve have bought 3or 4 midfielder this summer .to me that looks like they were get ready to sell at least one of their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Carvalho is a second option. I would guess that Utd want Vidal and have made approaches. Vidal is willing to go, but needs Juve permission. Juve know they have all the cards so are prepared to drag it out.

The Carvalho rumours is to try to get Juve to make a decision. It's an either or, not both. Buying Carvalho because he can cover Cb is the wrong approach. Buy a CB to cover that position!

Di Maria press conference at 3pm today on SSN :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

magnumbud wrote: »
    only for rues. we solve our defencive problems buy buying forward :D

Reus Mata Di Maria

Rooney

Looks tempting alright , sure that's the UTD way you score 6 we'll score 8..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm very encouraged that the signs are there for a CM signing before window ends. Combined with a defender and getting rid of Deadwood and the squad is very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I really hope we add 2 more players. I don't think 1 is enough. IMO Blind should be a definite buy along with one of Vidal or Carvalho.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I dont think signing Carvalho will do much for the lack of pace in our team.........yeah he'll help protect the back 4 but from what ive seen\read hes not the quickest......

Vidal (if the knee is ok) would add more pace and dynamism to our team.

Im hoping releasing this Carvalho info. to the press is just trying to force Juves hand, id guess after the fee we just paid for Di Maria they are looking for a big payout too.

Why not sign them both ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Really want carvhalo a DM will transform this team.

With all the talk of Carvalho, De Jong and Vidal... it does worry me that we aren't being linked with a single actual centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

With the risk of being violently attacked, do people think Blind is world class?

I wouldn't be watching much of Ajax but from the world cup I wasn't overly impressed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

With the risk of being violently attacked, do people think Blind is world class?

I wouldn't be watching much of Ajax but from the world cup I wasn't overly impressed...

No he's nowhere near world class. You'll rarely if ever find a team with 11 world class players though so It is not a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

just bought a centre back, Rojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

I've never heard that mentioned here, the general vibe I'm getting is that he'd be a solid DM/CM, and an excellent utility player to have.

RayCun wrote: »
    just bought a centre back, Rojo

He isn't top class, though could be in time. I think we need to add an experienced commanding centre back to the side, as while I like our centre backs, I'm not inspired by any of them! They all, imo, need a commanding presence beside them, and none of them can provide it for another. We lack a leader in the backline, imo, and we are going to suffer for it.

Not world class no, but a step above what we have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

With all the talk of Carvalho, De Jong and Vidal... it does worry me that we aren't being linked with a single actual centre back.

Not buying a CB could be a good sign...it would suggest a quicksmart move to 433....

Deadline Day better not be like last summer.

Realistically there are only 3 business days left??
    Today, tomorrow and Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Am bored today so decided to a player power ranking system. Going to update every week .
    (1) Angel di Maria.. Just bought for a record fee, he is a quality individual and should help in the next few games.
    (2) Juan Mata are joint top scorer this season and when on form a great player.
    (3) Wayne Rooney also top scorer and are captain
    (4) Robin van Persie
    (5)David De Gea
    (6) Marcos Rojo he is new so gets benefit of doubt
    (7) Phil Jones
    (8) Fletcher
    (9),James Wilson
    (10)Herrera
    (11)Young
    These for me are a 11 best players on form and potential.
    Will update weekly from now on feel free to disagree rankings.
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Deadline Day better not be like last summer.

Realistically there are only 3 business days left??
    Today, tomorrow and Monday.

When you're dealing with hundreds of millions, I don't think weekends come into play during transfer season..

^^dafuq

jameshayes wrote: »
    When you're dealing with hundreds of millions, I don't think weekends come into play during transfer season..

Saturday is match day..

Would be interesting to know when the last time there was a signing announced on a match day....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think there's a real lack of available center backs who would provide what we need (an experienced head while also being better than what we have). Luiz' transfer for 50m showed that CBs are in short supply at a top level, and people will overpay for ones the tier below as a result.

I also think that, when everyone is fit, we have 5 center backs right now (Evans, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Blackett). They may not be the best, but I think they'd do grand if they had a commanding midfielder in front of them helping. Honestly think that if we did bring in another first team CB, Smalling or Evans would be out the door soon as well, given a lack of games to play. With everyone fit and limited time, you're already going to have to relegate one of the senior 4 to the bench long term. Bringing in another CB would mean two would likely be finished at top level, left waiting for injuries.

Thats also ignoring the fact LVG could want to shift towards 4-3-3, in which case you've already got 5 CBs competing for 2 spaces, without bringing in a 6th defender.

Saturday is match day..

Would be interesting to know when the last time there was a signing announced on a match day....

Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I love the way "benefit of the doubt" translates to "sixth best player at the club". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Saturday is match day..

Last Tuesday, DiMaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Saturday is match day..

Last Tuesday. Ha. That had to be a set up.

I believe our current CB options are strong enough for the moment. Tuesday aside, Evans is normally quite good. IMO the defence is being made to look worse than it is because of the gaping hole in front of it. Fixing CM will go a long way to addressing the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'd settle for Carvalho at this stage.

Herrera Carvalho DiMaria
    Mata
    Rooney RVP

Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

KH25 wrote: »
    I believe our current CB options are strong enough for the moment. Tuesday aside, Evans is normally quite good. IMO the defence is being made to look worse than it is because of the gaping hole in front of it. Fixing CM will go a long way to addressing the defence.

I think defence might be made to look worse than it is because the players are being told to keep the ball on the deck. It would also explain why Phil Jones has looked the best of the lot because he's quite comfortable on the ball for a CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'd settle for Carvalho at this stage.

Herrera Carvalho DiMaria
    Mata
    Rooney RVP

Works for me.

Very impressive looking front 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Kirby wrote: »
    "Ronaldo in shock United return for 120 million!!!!!"

See that? That's not a rumour or gossip. It's bullsh*t I just made up and has no place in the thread. 95% of those ITK twitter accounts are the exact same.

ACTUAL rumours belong in here. Not made up crap.

Sorry what, an Arsenal fan telling us United fans what we should be talking about, in a UNITED Superthread?

Don't like it, don't read it.

I think defence might be made to look worse than it is because the players are being told to keep the ball on the deck. It would also explain why Phil Jones has looked the best of the lot because he's quite comfortable on the ball for a CB.

You could be right but again I think a stronger midfield would help there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

KH25 wrote: »
    I really hope we add 2 more players. I don't think 1 is enough. IMO Blind should be a definite buy along with one of Vidal or Carvalho.

In fairness Carvalho or Vidal should be the definite buy with Blind as a fall back option. Why are people so positive about Blind he is a good player but only as filler.

I watched Ajax a few times last year (always let me down on accumulators) and i honestly didn't even notice Blind. Then you have the 20 million figure aswell, I know we shouldn't care how much a player costs but that figure for him is madness. 10-12 million and he would be a decent squad option.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement