Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I would have no problem being essentially real madrids castaway team

its nuts they would want rid of Illarramendi, Isco and Khedira, Alonso i can kinda understand

Id have all of them at the club in a heartbeat even if isco would be a luxury

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Alonso wouldn't suit United. A more athletic player is required to balance out likes of Mata.

Would prefer de Jong over Blind for the same reasons.

de Jong and Carvalho would be the type of players United need in the EPL to provide the balance and back up for attacking players. Free up Herrera to focus more on getting on the ball as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

of course Injuries is a problem, but dont forget we went to the states without several players and got some injuries in the first 2 or 3 games too.

totally agree. it was really poor from LVG to put them all in one team the last night. hence perhaps, why he said he wasnt shocked with the result.

we could easily have picked a team the last night that didnt include 3 or 4 players who are on the way out.

I believe LVG wasn't shocked. He knows Anderson,Wellbeck,Chico and Kagawa are not featuring in his plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

MagicIRL wrote: »
    But seriously, would love to see Tom at United.

tom-cleverley_MU.jpg

NTMK wrote: »
    I would have no problem being essentially real madrids castaway team

its nuts they would want rid of Illarramendi, Isco and Khedira, Alonso i can kinda understand

Id have all of them at the club in a heartbeat even if isco would be a luxury

Tom has had a rough time usurping Khedira for that DM spot. Highly prospective and regarded player for Spains future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

It makes me laugh how fickle this thread is. Until Tuesday afternoon Evans was the one class defender we had, getting better with every game he didnt play. Now he's substandard, and Jones is the best of the lot.

tom-cleverley_MU.jpg

Can't remember the last time I saw a player looking so lost, and being so unsure of what they do that warrants their selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am happy with the options at cb to be honest. It could be argued Jones and Blackett were our two best players in the first two games. The only problem was they were exposed by a weak midfield.

Evans makes a big mistake the other night and suddenly he is not good enough. He is comfortably our best defender. He was a candidate for POTY two seasons ago in a title winning season. He will without a doubt be first choice. He reads the game very well, is the only leader at the back, he is very good at building from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

No no no no no no no. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I'd rather have Di Maria and no Vidal than no Di Maria and no Vidal.

But would you have Vidal and no Di Maria?

Don’t get me wrong – I think DM is a fantastic capture but it would be ironic if buying him now puts RM in a position to swoop for Vidal.

Di Maria and a decent CM would do me.:cool:

• Advertisement

It makes me laugh how fickle this thread is. Until Tuesday afternoon Evans was the one class defender we had, getting better with every game he didnt play. Now he's substandard, and Jones is the best of the lot.

Evans had a stinker, no denying it. But only back from injury? One poor game shouldn't ruin his rising standards & quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

3 years ago today United put 8 past Arsenal using this team.
    10649859_10152664042264914_5952662048771197176_n.png

On an entirely seperate point. Would be fine with club selling Wellbeck to Arsenal.They sold us their best player, why not have a proffesional relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I am most certainly not happy with CB, Jones has done well enough in the two games, but lets get real.

We've got a lot of maybes in defence, while the other teams have definite, finished articles. I wouldn't want to put all my faith in a defence of players, not good enough at the moment who may or may not come good.

No leadership at the back, is the most worrying, I can't see who's going to rally these younger players and help make them better players.

:confused:

The prevailing opinion on the thread was that Jones has been the best of the lot that have played since pre-season. So that undermines the picture you're trying to paint.

Evans wasn't playing, and people were convinced he would make a difference, being the most senior CB at the club. He returned, it was a disaster. Naturally that has knocked people's confidence in his ability to be the leader that the defence needs. That's hardly fickle.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone who previously held Evans in high regard suddenly claiming he's a terrible defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭bren2001

TheDoc wrote: »
    On an entirely seperate point. Would be fine with club selling Wellbeck to Arsenal.They sold us their best player, why not have a proffesional relationship.

Don't see why we should be selling to a direct rival. Ultimately, Welbeck could fire Arsenal to that 4th place spot. They sold us RVP because they either could cash in or wait a year and lose him. Completely different circumstances. I'd like to see Welbeck stay regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Coat22 wrote: »

Don’t get me wrong – I think DM is a fantastic capture but it would be ironic if buying him now puts RM in a position to swoop for Vidal.

I don't think Vidal was ever a runner for United, I've been saying it all Summer.
    So to me the situation I mentioned is the only situation.

do you think us not buying di maria would stop real from going after vidal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Evans had a stinker, no denying it. But only back from injury? One poor game shouldn't ruin his rising standards & quality.

Evans is by far our best defender. Jones has the potential, once he strikes an understanding with Jonny. The problem I have with both is that they are not much of an improvement on Vidic and Rio in terms of availability, neither have a good track record with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

:confused:

He returned, it was a disaster. Naturally that has knocked people's confidence in his ability to be the leader that the defence needs. That's hardly fickle.

I cant think of anything more fickle than changing your opinion of a player after one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

And the way he played the other night it would help us overtake Arsenal!

I cant think of anything more fickle than changing your opinion of a player after one game.

Back it up then, who did that?

bren2001 wrote: »
    Don't see why we should be selling to a direct rival. Ultimately, Welbeck could fire Arsenal to that 4th place spot. They sold us RVP because they either could cash in or wait a year and lose him. Completely different circumstances. I'd like to see Welbeck stay regardless.
    And the way he played the other night it would help us overtake Arsenal!

Arsenal's issue is scoring goals and having a finisher. Wellbeck won't give them this. Would happily sell them a blank firer.

I’ve been saying since early summer that none of the 3 current CBs are up to it – Tuesday night just confirmed Evans for me – Smalling has been confirmed as substandard in the first 2 league games and in fairness to Jones he’s started well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Did United actually offer £34m for Vidal?

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    do you think us not buying di maria would stop real from going after vidal?

Yes. 59.7M reasons for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Football fans fickle? Never!

Evan is our best defender at the moment. After a poor performance sometimes people lose a bit faith in a player. Happens everyone, people get hysterical, myself included, get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Did United actually offer £34m for Vidal?
    The people who actually know this as a fact you could probably count on one hand ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

MagicIRL wrote: »
    3 years ago today United put 8 past Arsenal using this team.
    10649859_10152664042264914_5952662048771197176_n.png

Try showing the arsenal team that played that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was told early in the summer that Vermaelon was basically a dead in the water deal because Wenger was point blank refusing to sell him to us.

He may have slightly relented on that later on, and offered to swap him for Smalling - but that could simply be because he knew United would say no - so outcome is still a refusal to sell to United.

This is on the back of Wenger publicly stating, after the RVP deal, that he would never sell another player to United.

So, fuk them - to be honest. They don't want to sell to us, I'd point blank refuse to sell to them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

irishfeen wrote: »
    The people who actually know this as a fact you could probably count on one hand ...

Yeah good point. Fairly sub-par bid if it's true though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Arsenal's issue is scoring goals and having a finisher. Wellbeck won't give them this. Would happily sell them a blank firer.

Don't think so, the pace in Arsenals forward play would suit him down to the ground, I would fancy him to thrive there, hope it doesn't happen. He has proved he can score when played through the middle, he stepped up when both RvP and Rooney went down last year.

Put him in a high tempo potent attack with fluid creativity and he would do damage

I’ve been saying since early summer that none of the 3 current CBs are up to it – Tuesday night just confirmed Evans for me – Smalling has been confirmed as substandard in the first 2 league games and in fairness to Jones he’s started well.

Can't say I disagree too much with this. I don't like Evans, he always looks nervous. Smalling had the potential but picks up too many little injuries and just doesn't impose himself too much.
    Jones can be a top player if he gets a proper run in the team. I'm sure of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Except Wellbeck when played up front actually had a decent record. What was in 8 in 9 games last season, he also scored 5 in 11 for England two seasons ago when played up front.

He certainly misses chances no doubt but he get's himself into great positions most games he has great movement and pace. In a quick fluid system with Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott behind him he would score 15+ a season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

whats happening with rojo work permit is it ready.

and whats about di maria does hes have one i havent heard much mentioned

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Multiple reports that LVG wants Kagawa,Cleverly and Wellbeck gone ASAP to make room for Blind and Vidal.

Move Ando on and there's enough room for all five of them. ;)

I'm here all day...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

sky88 wrote: »

Report last night said it was granted and he is ok to play not sure about Di maria

no idea on Rojo's permit and Di maria has an italien passport afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

https://twitter.com/UtdReport/status/504785602840387584
    https://twitter.com/UtdReport/status/504934771089498112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

football is the most fickle game in the world to be honest and its not just United fans, its everybody to do with the game.

i read a great quote before about just how fine a line it is - "the difference between a pat on the back or a kick up the arse is really small".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

advertsfox wrote: »

Sporting and Doyen aren't going to resolve their issues anytime soon so if its true the PL are holding it up on those grounds, Utd are screwed.

Yes. 59.7M reasons for that.

Real madrid have an isane amount of cash flow they could afford Vidal whether or not we bought di maria, and they also have a ****load of £20mill players they could offload quickly if they wanted Vidal

Buying di maria just affects the bottom line for RM which they never have given a **** about you just have to look at their finances to see that

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Except Wellbeck when played up front actually had a decent record. What was in 8 in 9 games last season, he also scored 5 in 11 for England two seasons ago when played up front.

He certainly misses chances no doubt but he get's himself into great positions most games he has great movement and pace. In a quick fluid system with Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott behind him he would score 15+ a season imo.

He missed a bucketload of easy chances, at critical times during last season.That's the measure of a striker for me.Bottler.

kryogen wrote: »
    Don't think so, the pace in Arsenals forward play would suit him down to the ground, I would fancy him to thrive there, hope it doesn't happen. He has proved he can score when played through the middle, he stepped up when both RvP and Rooney went down last year.

Put him in a high tempo potent attack with fluid creativity and he would do damage

The speed of an attack has no bearing on the fact he is a terrible finisher. Don't see him doing damage unless he improves a drastic amount

there's a rumour flying around that Aston Villa are close to getting Cleverley (please God be true!!).
    Was looking at the tweet that sparked it all off, and was reading through the replies from Villa fans. Every last one of them was p*ssed off about it. Insane to think this guy has lasted so long at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

He missed a bucketload of easy chances, at critical times during last season.That's the measure of a striker for me.Bottler.

Agree totally here its the reason giroud is not seen as a top striker misses so many chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

So has RVP in his first 2 years a United player, the thing is he plays up front consistently so usually gets a chance to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Januz seen as future no.10, but can play wide effectively too.So easy decision to let him go imo

Adnan was simply awful in that role on tuesday night before being moved out to the wing after 25 minutes and has been poor enough there last season.

so far, there is nothing to suggest he can play the number 10 role at top level.

there's a rumour flying around that Aston Villa are close to getting Cleverley (please God be true!!).
    Was looking at the tweet that sparked it all off, and was reading through the replies from Villa fans. Every last one of them was p*ssed off about it. Insane to think this guy has lasted so long at United.

We should throw in Anderson for free and sit back and watch Keane lose the plot.

Villa fans still haven’t forgiven us for Djemba Djemba.

Swap for Vlaar? Would like it but unlikely.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    So has RVP in his first 2 years a United player, the thing is he plays up front consistently so usually gets a chance to make up for it.

Only last season did I really think RVP missed sitters at crucial times. In that three game spell where if he scores, Moyes simply survives the chop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement