Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TheDoc wrote: »
    Only last season did I really think RVP missed sitters at crucial times. In that three game spell where if he scores, Moyes simply survives the chop.

And personally I think it was because RVP was distancing himself from the mess,and not in a good frame of mind.

And personally I think it was because RVP was distancing himself from the mess,and not in a good frame of mind.

I see what you did there in your above post; this could be classed as a work around :pac::pac:

NTMK wrote: »
    no idea on Rojo's permit and Di maria has an italien passport afaik

I think Di Maria could possible be available for selection on Saturday. It was mentioned yesterday.

Rojo no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Adnan was simply awful in that role on tuesday night before being moved out to the wing after 25 minutes and has been poor enough there last season.

so far, there is nothing to suggest he can play the number 10 role at top level.

He was playing CM with Powell @ 10 when he came on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

not sure if its been mentioned yet but warnock just confirmed palace are in for Zaha. papers this morning were saying loan with a view to permanent. i would hope that united keep the option of keeping him in case he goes and has a blinder of a season sell him next summer if he does nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Only last season did I really think RVP missed sitters at crucial times. In that three game spell where if he scores, Moyes simply survives the chop.

Missed a big chance at the bernebua in his first season among others.

Again vs Welbeck he gets opportunities to make up for the misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

regarding Cleverly, why on earth are people so happy to see him go, with Anderson, Fletcher and an injured Fellaini the only other options?

cleverly is not great, but its sad to say he is our 3rd best CM after Herrera and Carrick at the moment, 4th if you include Fellaini who perhaps will stay now as he is injured.

i wouldnt want to see Cleverly go until we bring players in first.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    He was playing CM with Powell @ 10 when he came on?

no, powell and Ando were in CM, Adnan in front of them, behind Welbeck and Hernandez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

something for the welbeck debators
    Blc2cFdCMAE6_1n.jpg

beno619 wrote: »
    Missed a big chance at the bernebua in his first season among others.

Again vs Welbeck he gets opportunities to make up for the misses.

But scored 20+ goals to help us reach the title. Wellbeck hardly endearing himself missing sitter after sitter.

regarding Cleverly, why on earth are people so happy to see him go, with Anderson, Fletcher and an injured Fellaini the only other options?

cleverly is not great, but its sad to say he is our 3rd best CM after Herrera and Carrick at the moment, 4th if you include Fellaini who perhaps will stay now as he is injured.

i wouldnt want to see Cleverly go until we bring players in first.

no, powell and Ando were in CM, Adnan in front of them, behind Welbeck and Hernandez

Sunderland match most recent reason to add to another 50 others. And he has a negative effect on fletcher's game when played together (suicide sideward passing).

Pereira should be promoted imo, and on a side note: as should Wilson in attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What I wouldn't give for a convincing 5-0 victory on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He had something like a 10-12 game barren run in his first season here, and a lot of sitters were in there.

It's like a distant memory.

Bayern Leverkusen :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Adnan played CM I thought for at least the last half hour when Powell came off.

Coat22 wrote: »
    We should throw in Anderson for free and sit back and watch Keane lose the plot.

Villa fans still haven’t forgiven us for Djemba Djemba.

Swap for Vlaar? Would like it but unlikely.
    While he is not up to standard at this level, I think Cleverly could do well for Villa. Gibson and to an extent Phil Neville were regarded as useless by a lot of people also before they left for Everton.

Likewise I don't think Vlaar would be a good signing. He has a good WC but so do plenty of players who are not as good as they appear. Happens all the time. Before the WC even at a lower level like Villa his play hadn't merited much of any attention at all.

Agree as well about not letting Cleverly go. Its a numbers game unfortunately and we have a couple of injuries in what is still possibly the weakest part of the squad. So we are short of numbers there(and quality obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Are people even tyring to compare RVp with Welback!!

The guy is just not consistent enough for a top striker, and not good enough as winger.

Welbeck is the exact type of player that has Utd in the mess we are in. Lots of players that are nearly good at lots of positions but not top class in any.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Said this to a work colleague yesterday, only I said 7. He said he'd be happy with 1. Brought me back down to earth :(

What I wouldn't give for a 1-0 victory on Saturday.

FYP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Danny Welbeck in the England squad - just goes to show how poor they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

a victory will do i dont care what score

Billy86 wrote: »
    He had something like a 10-12 game barren run in his first season here, and a lot of sitters were in there.

It was much shorter then that, and after he had started the season with like 10 goals. Plus assists. And his godly ability to make a ball stick like glue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kstand wrote: »

so you don't think he is a good player then?

adox wrote: »
    Agree as well about not letting Cleverly go. Its a numbers game unfortunately and we have a couple of injuries in what is still possibly the weakest part of the squad. So we are short of numbers there(and quality obviously).

I can only assume if Cleverly/Anderson is let go,a replacement is lined up.Club arn't that stupid surely.

In the squad, not the starting XI anymore. Completely sidelined now with Sturridge and Sterling.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Welbeck is the exact type of player that has Utd in the mess we are in. Lots of players that are nearly good at lots of positions but not top class in any.
    I don't think anyone is saying Welbeck is as good as RVP, just saying that he has only really had one good run of games at #9 and scored goals during it, whereas even the best like RVP can struggle to find the net too.

Also when RVP was Welbeck's age he scored 5 league goals in 24 games for Arsenal. Last year Welbeck had 9 in 25 for us.

Welbeck is absolutely not "the type of player that has us in this mess"... he is just not of the calibre to lift us out of it on his own, yet at least. Prior to this window, IMO only DDG had that level of play (or RVP on form, which he was not) and he is" just" keeper which limits his influence.

The real problems in the squad were/are Young, Valencia, Anderson, Hernandez as anything but an impact sub, Fletcher since his illness, Cleverly looking not up to it at this level, Nani injuries looking to have killed his explosiveness, Evra and Fellaini. Also Phil Jones and Smallings performance levels were abysmal, but they each are Young enough to improve also (and Jones has been good the first two games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Rooney new England captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Welbeck's not great but he gives us a directness we don't seem to have anywhere else in the team (barring Di Maria now)

He should be kept ahead of Hernandez anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

says alot when weve only 3 players in it (i know weve at least two more who are injured) and its the worst England squad ive ever seen.

i like England and support them due to the United connection, but i really hope they dont qualify so it finally wakes them up into establishing a proper grassroutes structure underage for developing players.

for a country with the population, history and resources they have, their national team is a complete joke now.

and im going to make a prediction, james Wilson will be a full international by the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I just don't get it, but then I suppose England is as starved of a leader as we are...

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Source?

I can only assume if Cleverly/Anderson is let go,a replacement is lined up.Club arn't that stupid surely.

Anderson would be easy enough to replace. Get the tea lady in.

article-2115999-1232F961000005DC-613_634x437.jpg

Of course that would doubtlessly cut off our primary source of transfer rumours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anderson would be easy enough to replace. Get the tea lady in.

article-2115999-1232F961000005DC-613_634x437.jpg

Of course that would doubtlessly cut off our primary source of transfer rumours.

Replace? It's more like an upgrade.

In the squad, not the starting XI anymore. Completely sidelined now with Sturridge and Sterling.

he still started the first 2 world cup games for England, great player has pace power, will actually be sad if he leaves united and goes onto become what sturridge has for Liverpool because there is no doubt he has the potential to go to that level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Billy86 wrote: »
    While he is not up to standard at this level, I think Cleverly could do well for Villa. Gibson and to an extent Phil Neville were regarded as useless by a lot of people also before they left for Everton.

Likewise I don't think Vlaar would be a good signing. He has a good WC but so do plenty of players who are not as good as they appear. Happens all the time. Before the WC even at a lower level like Villa his play hadn't merited much of any attention at all.
    `
    Disagree on the Vlaar bit, thought he looked very solid at the WC, something that is clearly lacking at the moment. Whether that was down to LVG working his magic or the Dutch midfield offering greater protection, (probably a combination of both) I thought he had a great tournament and would be very confident he could be a first choice at Utd.

Very unlikely we'll move for him but you never know - he would be an excellent addition and relatively inexpensive.

bangkok wrote: »
    he still started the first 2 world cup games for England, great player has pace power, will actually be sad if he leaves united and goes onto become what sturridge has for Liverpool because there is no doubt he has the potential to go to that level

Playing out wide, and occasionally swopping to play up front. He played those two games simply because of his pace.Anytime you hear Wellbeck, it's only because he has pace, not because he can score a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

But scored 20+ goals to help us reach the title. Wellbeck hardly endearing himself missing sitter after sitter.

Last season Welbeck had the fourth highest goals per minute (exc. Pens) ratio in the league. That's despite playing out wide a fair bit too.

Yeah he misses chances, but his ability to break behind defences gets him a lot more chance than say Hernandez or a lot of other attackers.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I just don't get it, but then I suppose England is as starved of a leader as we are...

Obvious choice.England no obvious leaders.Went with experience.Joe Hart and Gary Cahill his competition, laughable candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Of all the comments about Welbeck here this is one of the most bizarre I have to say. He's been an England regular for a few years now and has done quite well for them, what makes you think he wasn't going to be in the squad? Can you name many better striker options? Rooney and Sturridge obviously but Welbeck is always going to be there after that.

The Welbeck dislike never fails to amuse me. He's no RVP and not good enough to lead the line for Man Utd in the long-term(i.e not world class) but name a better option for 3rd choice, as that's what he is. He is versatile too and I'd have Hernandez gone well before him. I couldn't blame him for wanting to leave as naturally he wants to play up front regularly, but in terms of getting rid of deadwood and trimming the squad, there'd be plenty I'd shift out before him. Given a long run as the main striker for a decent club, I've no doubt he'd be a good goalscorer. Not saying he'd be as good as him, but Sturridge going to Liverpool has given him a new lease of life and I could see something similar if Welbeck moves. In fact if he did go to Arsenal I think he'd do well with the supply he'd get, so no way should we consider that. He's still young so for people to write him off altogether is a bit premature.

Last season Welbeck had the fourth highest goals per minute (exc. Pens) ratio in the league. That's despite playing out wide a fair bit too.

Yeah he misses chances, but his ability to break behind defences gets him a lot more chance than say Hernandez or a lot of other attackers.

Statistics perform part of the narrative, not THE narrative. how many goals did he score against top six sides last season?

Obvious choice.England no obvious leaders.Went with experience.Joe Hart and Gary Cahill his competition, laughable candidates.

Your dedication to the challenge is admirable. It makes you sound really busy, like you only have a couple of seconds to post before you rush off to do something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Statistics perform part of the narrative, not THE narrative. how many goals did he score against top six sides last season?

I don't know the answer to this but I'd wonder how many games he played up front against the top 6.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=48971&season_id=143

Wellbeck Goals scored last season. One goal against side in top six. 13 in 46 appearances. 1 Assist. No stat for sitters missed.

Your dedication to the challenge is admirable. It makes you sound really busy, like you only have a couple of seconds to post before you rush off to do something else.

It's really tough this week as I feel I've a lot to say.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=48971&season_id=143

Wellbeck Goals scored last season. One goal against side in top six. 13 in 46 appearances. 1 Assist. No stat for sitters missed.

Except the CL quarter final!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

That is the worst England squad i have seen rooney is realistically the only choice for captain

It's really tough this week as I feel I've a lot to say.

But on the bright side, the number of people reading what you have to say has probably tripled. :D

Playing out wide, and occasionally swopping to play up front. He played those two games simply because of his pace.Anytime you hear Wellbeck, it's only because he has pace, not because he can score a goal.

6 starts up front last season 6 goals

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement