Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Farewell Shinji

large.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He was a shockingly poor player who may even struggle at Villa but got lots of first team starts for UTD. Everythime he played we looked like muck and was an annoyance.

Whats not to be happy about?

The fact we have no other fit midfielders for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its complete madness that we face the prospect of needing players who have been told they can leave, in our squad on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Nuts102 wrote: »

In fairness, I'd prefer Jones in there, he's hardly a great loss, is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Shinji leaving upsets me. He is a quality player who never got the breaks.

Some will say he never did enough to justify his place when he did start but I saw flashes of greatness, he was certainly not muck week in week out live Cleverly and had ten times more skill, vision and bravery.

LVG aint ****ing around. The new era has just begun. Hold on tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sad about Shinji. RVP coming scuppered everything, what could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

its complete madness that we face the prospect of needing players who have been told they can leave, in our squad on saturday.

Safe to say that if we are offloading quickly, we expect one or two signing to wrap up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Shinji could have been a brilliant player for us if our midfield and defence could play a pass or trust him to receive the ball in tight situations.. which they didn't and instead we played hoofball last season. He'll do damage back at Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You might not be able to get deals for guys like Cleverley after the weekend. If you were Villa, would you wait around till Sunday, hoping the guy you're trying to buy doesn't get injured or would you just say **** it, there's plenty more Cleverley level players to get instead?

If you were United would you prefer to get Cleverley off your books for a great price, or keep him for the minimal upside he might give in a single game?

No brainer to do deals that you want done long term at the expense of a single game.

Literally any other player would offer more than Clev in there. Rooney could drop back. Who knows what system LVG will play with Di Maria at the ready.

I thought Herrera was back for Burnley? Is Fletch not good to go also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

TheDoc wrote: »
    Safe to say that if we are offloading quickly, we expect one or two signing to wrap up?

Surely if we're offloading the signings are done and dusted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

All comes to all we can play Rooney and Di Maria in CM, 10 times better than Fletch and Clev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Some posters on here are like the lad whose given out about his job for years but when it finally comes to handing in his notice just haven’t got the balls to go through with it.

This “lets hold onto crap Tom because he’s all we’ve got this week” panic now that it looks like he’s finally gone.

Breath lads. Trust in the Philosophy. We don’t need TC23. Calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Hate doing lineups but could go something like this: De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Blackett, Fletcher, Powell, Di Maria, Mata, Rooney, RVP. Subs: Amos, Keane, Rojo (if transfer is through), Valencia, Young, James, Wilson.

Swap Young for Powell if they're playing 3-4-1-2.

Surely the end to this window will see us active again. It must do.

What squad size did LVG say he wanted again and where do we stand with Rio, Vidic, Evra, Zaha, Clev and Kags gone?

I wonder if Kag going is part of a Hummels deal? or even Reus

One can dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Coat22 wrote: »
    We don’t need TC23.

I liked your post, just for this sentence :)
    I'd like it twice if I could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

keane2097 wrote: »
    You might not be able to get deals for guys like Cleverley after the weekend. If you were Villa, would you wait around till Sunday, hoping the guy you're trying to buy doesn't get injured or would you just say **** it, there's plenty more Cleverley level players to get instead?

If you were United would you prefer to get Cleverley off your books for a great price, or keep him for the minimal upside he might give in a single game?

No brainer to do deals that you want done long term at the expense of a single game.

Get out of here with your logic. He just want a good oul moan. Be moaning if they were a still around after the deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd play Pearson over Cleverley at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm smiling ear to ear with all the shíte being moved out of the club. LvG is the man!

Bar Kagawa. I love Shinji.

Job not complete until Valencia, Young and Anderson follow them out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Cleverly is not even good enough for Villa TBH, I don't see him being good enough for any PL team so good riddance.

Never seen such a gutless midfielder playing for united in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

If UTD are loaning Shinji back to Dortmund why not have a cheeky bid for Subotic like in the Rojo deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

TheTownie wrote: »

Anderson is so bad that no one will take him on loan..
    The other two are here for a while unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

TheTownie wrote: »

Nani, Young and Valencia gone in the same transfer window? Unlikely, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, LVG is going to have the following central midfielders to pick from vs Burnley.

Anderson.
    Fletcher.

*slow clap for man united *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Schwiiing wrote: »
    If UTD are loaning Shinji back to Dortmund why not have a cheeky bid for Subotic like in the Rojo deal?

If Van Gaal doesn't want Kagawa then I already give up trying to figure out why he might or might not want any particular player.

I'm just going to sit back and see what they squad looks like come Tuesday.

Is it madness selling Shinji?

Have seen some genuine moments of brilliance from him in the rare games he got to play the number 10 role and he is the only good cover we have for Mata.

Not to mention how huge he is in Asia, I'm sure he helps sell millions of jerseys over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So, LVG is going to have the following central midfielders to pick from vs Burnley.

Anderson.
    Fletcher.

How is that any worse than:

Anderson.
    Fletcher.
    Cleverley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Nani, Young and Valencia gone in the same transfer window? Unlikely, in my opinion.

Ya I know its impractical. Hopefully over the next 2 to 3 windows they are all moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Anderson.
    Fletcher.

It'll be Fletcher and a young lad I think. Anderson was so bad against MK Dons he hasn't a hope. He was so bad no club will even bid for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anderson.
    Fletcher.

Do you think LVG doesn't know this and hasn't weighed up the pros/cons of moving on Cleverly? I highly doubt that's the midfield he's happy with long term, and for all we know, he has plans to move players round. DiMaria or Rooney could be set to play midfield for the game for all we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Signings obviously incoming, I'd be excited if I were a big enough fan to get excited about things like that.

I'd say Jones will play the central defensive midfield role with Fletch and Di Maria in midfield.

Has Rojo been cleared for the Burnley game yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hope Cleverley does well and isn't hung out to dry in Lambert's system like he was for United. Think they play 3 in midfield?

How is that any worse than:

Anderson.
    Fletcher.
    Cleverley.

1.it is one player less. What if one of our only two get injured?
    2.cleverley is better than Anderson so we are going to be even worse in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Cull hard I say, its years overdue, only fooling ourselves keeping dead wood in hope of them coming good.we can get by with a smaller squad this year, worth it in the long run, will probably get in 2 to 3 players by Monday night. Long long overdue cull.

• Advertisement

2.cleverley is better than Anderson so we are going to be even worse in midfield.

Debateable.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Debateable.

I'm all for a bit of knee jerkery but there is fecking no way Anderson is the better player now, nor would anyone pick Anderson ahead of cleverley at this point.

A number of clubs have bid for cleverley NO ONE wants Anderson. NO ONE.

from what i can see, we have Everton at home after match day 2 europa league, Chelsea at home after match day 4 and liverpool at home after match day 6. Arsenal play matchday 5 a few days after we play them at the Emirates.

that surely must be an advantage for us, especially if they are away from home that week...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Debateable.

Not debatable.

Anderson > Cleverley.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Don't see the delight with Cleverley going as bad as he is we only have one fit midfielder for Saturday.

The delight is because most fans are capable of looking beyond 48 hours time and actually see the bigger picture.

The idea of not wanting to sell Cleverley solely for the basis of having for this one game on Saturday against Burnely is madness, and extremely short sighted.

Besides, its clearly obvious from this that it means another center midfielder or 2 will be signed as well. Van Gaal pretty much said that in his press conference earlier too.

• Advertisement

That wasn't a challenge. I'd have them at least on par with each other.

Tom Cleverly plays hide and go seek when he's in midfield. Moving into positions where the ball can't be passed to him and when he does find himself in miles of space he doesn't look for the ball.

He's also guilty of only making 3 yard sideways/backwards passes when he does get it and offers very little defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

This is great. Finally getting rid of players who aren't good enough. Kagawa not included.....

If Valencia gets thrown out on his arse I think I might cry with happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sad about Kagawa. I was so excited when we signed him and was convinced he would be a premier league star.

Little did he know what would happen. Imagine he joined such a stable successful club with a legend for a manager. He ended up staying a little over two seasons, never played on a regular basis and worked under three different managers!!!!!

KH25 wrote: »
    This is great. Finally getting rid of players who aren't good enough. Kagawa not included.....

If Valencia gets thrown out on his arse I think I might cry with happiness.
    Kagawa, Vidic, Evra, Nani are big losses IMO, no way should any of those 4 be leaving us - hopefully Kagawa stays as i believe that while he has not been great for us, he still has plenty to offer.

regarding the satisfaction that some people have with the huge cull, the problem is though, are the young lads coming in to replace them, good enough?

If Cleverly and Kagawa go, that 13 players off the wagebill since February, 5 players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I'd say Jones will play the central defensive midfield role with Fletch and Di Maria in midfield.

Has Rojo been cleared for the Burnley game yet?

Rojo not cleared yet, but with Evans back, putting Jones in midfield is a decent shout, damn sight better than playing Blanderson anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Kagawa, Vidic, Evra, Nani are big losses IMO, no way should any of those 4 be leaving us - hopefully Kagawa stays as i believe that while he has not been great for us, he still has plenty to offer.

regarding the satisfaction that some people have with the huge cull, the problem is though, are the young lads coming in to replace them, good enough?

If Cleverly and Kagawa go, that 13 players off the wagebill since February, 5 players in.

I agree with you. Kagawa and Nani deserved to stay and§ be given more of a chance by Fergie and Moyes. I would love to see Kags stay because I also think he has more to offer.

Agree again about replacements, but I think its fair to say that at this stage a lot of people would rather risk a youngster in midfield instead of Cleverley. He's had his chances and not taken them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The delight is because most fans are capable of looking beyond 48 hours time and actually see the bigger picture.

The idea of not wanting to sell Cleverley solely for the basis of having for this one game on Saturday against Burnely is madness, and extremely short sighted.

Besides, its clearly obvious from this that it means another center midfielder or 2 will be signed as well. Van Gaal pretty much said that in his press conference earlier too.

But how many points do we potentially want to give up in these easy opening games? Look Cleverley is no world beater, we all know that but we literally have two fit CMs for Saturday and now one of them is gone. Surely Utd could have dragged the transfer out for 48 hours. God knows they can drag incoming signings on for months.

I don't think it's a case of sell him now or keep him for Saturday and he won't be sold this window. Both could be done.

Hopefully there is a replacement on the way but unlikely to be involved on Saturday even if, say, they magically signed this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Dortmund to win the league and Kagawa POTY double is on if this happens

We're hardly stuck, he could easily play Fletch, Jones and Di-Maria in midfield and throw Rooney back there later in the game if necessary.

That's 4 options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Surely Cleverly's 'Spanish style' will be more suited to Villa....

If we are selling a CM (thank God!!) Must mean there is something in the pipeline!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement