Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so assuming that Cleverly, Kagawa and Hernandez all leave, that gives us the following options at the moment and a couple of them lads could go on loan.

Keeper (4) - DDG, Lindegaard, Johnstone, Amos

Full Backs (4) - Rafael, Shaw, James, Rojo

Center Backs (5)- Evans, Blackett, Keane, Smalling, Jones

Wingers (4) - Adnan, Young, Valencia, Di Maria

CM (5) - Fellaini, Herrera, Carrick, Fletcher, Mata

Strikers (4) - RVP, Wilson, Rooney, Welbeck

its still 26 players, though its more about quantity than quality isnt it? throw a new CB and CM in there and we'd be in decent enough shape though midfield would still be only one injury away from a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

BloodBath wrote: »
    We're hardly stuck, he could easily play Fletch, Jones and Di-Maria in midfield and throw Rooney back there later in the game if necessary.

That's 4 options.

I wouldn't play Di Maria in a midfield two at any stage, let alone his debut, Jones would be an option and maybe Rooney at a stretch. But why move these players around? We are told they all have to get used to the new "philosophy" and formations. The players seem to be having enough trouble getting to grips with it while playing in their own positions. Playing them out of position would just hinder the bedding in time.

Look I get most can't stand Cleverley and can't wait to see the back of him, but the foaming at the mouth with joy urgency to move him when an offer comes in, is being short sighted IMO. It could easily be dragged out for 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Surely Cleverly's 'Spanish style' will be more suited to Villa....

If we are selling a CM (thank God!!) Must mean there is something in the pipeline!

Didn't TC23 give an interview during pre-season about how he was safe in LvGs system and team? Awwwwkward......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

so assuming that Cleverly, Kagawa and Hernandez all leave, that gives us the following options at the moment and a couple of them lads could go on loan.

its still 26 players, though its more about quantity than quality isnt it? throw a new CB and CM in there and we'd be in decent enough shape though midfield would still be only one injury away from a disaster

Is Lindegaard not sold???

Also, I see you left Kagawa out, sorry been crazy in work no time to check is he gone?

Sorry... Just read the first line, my bad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

adox wrote: »
    I wouldn't play Di Maria in a midfield two at any stage, let alone his debut, Jones would be an option and maybe Rooney at a stretch. But why move these players around? We are told they all have to get used to the new "philosophy" and formations. The players seem to be having enough trouble getting to grips with it while playing in their own positions. Playing them out of position would just hinder the bedding in time.

Look I get most can't stand Cleverley and can't wait to see the back of him, but the foaming at the mouth with joy urgency to move him when an offer comes in, is being short sighted IMO. It could easily be dragged out for 48 hours.

Not a midfield 2, a midfield 3. There is no point continuing to play this 3-5-2 formation without amazing wide backs and with a shortage of quality defenders. Unless he plans on playing Di Maria as the left wide back for the next game.

I can see him switching to 4-3-1-2 for the next game. Something like this. Maybe Blackett instead of young at left back.

320178.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If we don't sell players, United are goaded for keeping dead weight on the books.

If we sell players, United are lamented for leaving us short of options.

There really is no ****ing winning with some people pissing and moaning on here.

The Burnley game is 1 game in a whole season. We have to have this root and branch clearout for the good of the future of the club. We will sign replacements, and add more in January or next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have been online since this morning. What's happened the last few hours ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

cleverley is better than Anderson

I'd even suggest that a stool sample is better than Anderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yabadabado wrote: »

talks of Hernandez, Cleverly and Kagawa leaving starting to grow.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

yabadabado wrote: »

Well I peed in a cup. Not sure what everyone was up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wasn't RVP still playing out on the wing back then? He wasn't played as a striker until Henry left.

Kinda like where Welbeck has been played mostly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

The Burnley game is 1 game in a whole season. We will sign replacements, and add more in January or next summer.

It's more than one game in reality though. Say we lose the game, suddenly we've one point from a possible nine and the media are baying for blood.

And if we don't finish at least fourth, suddenly we're "perrenial also rans" in the eyes of prospective signings.

Finish outside the top four with the money that's been spent and Van Gaal should be sacked...end of story (barring some weird scenario where it's clear that we're making huge progress but bad luck such as injuries costs us fourth place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

-GIF-suspicious-William-Shatner-James-T.-Kirk-Star-Trek-GIF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

TheTownie wrote: »
    Well I peed in a cup. Not sure what everyone was up to.
    STD test again? ..

It's more than one game in reality though. Say we lose the game, suddenly we've one point from a possible nine and the media are baying for blood.

And if we don't finish at least fourth, suddenly we're "perrenial also rans" in the eyes of prospective signings.

Finish outside the top four with the money that's been spent and Van Gaal should be sacked...end of story (barring some weird scenario where it's clear that we're making huge progress but bad luck such as injuries costs us fourth place).

I'm replying against my better judgment here but anyways -

1) I don't give a **** if the media bay for blood. I can make up my own mind whether he's doing a good job or not. You should too.

2) We didn't finish 4th last year. The roof didn't fall in. We're still a huge club. Hence breaking the British transfer record for Di Maria.

3) You're already making ultimatums about LVG and sacking him. Going to be a long season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Every time you post it's sensationalist. And you seem to deal only in absolutes. And you seem determined that Van Gaal should be sacked at some point for whatever reason.

What if we are developing well, but finish in 5th? Would you demand VG be sacked? Then we can bring in yet another manager to start all over again? Another summer of unknowns - who will be in and who will be out? Another new beginning next August with dodgy results because the team is trying to adopt a new tactic or style?

And I love the way you view potential signings. You appear to know what these players will think of our club.

give me your opinion on who should be manager?

Only starting to watch the press conference now so haven't read up on the thread but I have to say, watching LvG take the piss out of Di Maria in the tunnel before the conference had me laughing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

kryogen wrote: »
    Only starting to watch the press conference now so haven't read up on the thread but I have to say, watching LvG take the piss out of Di Maria in the tunnel before the conference had me laughing :)

Brace yourself for bad news then Kryo, your boy Kagawa looks to be on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Those 2 should be the first out the door ,they are an insult to the word winger.
    I cant believe that they havent been sold .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

With this clear out that looks like that is happening,what will happen with Anderson ? How many years has he left on his contract ? Could we see him been released ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Every time you post it's sensationalist. And you seem to deal only in absolutes. And you seem determined that Van Gaal should be sacked at some point for whatever reason.

What if we are developing well, but finish in 5th? Would you demand VG be sacked? Then we can bring in yet another manager to start all over again? Another summer of unknowns - who will be in and who will be out? Another new beginning next August with dodgy results because the team is trying to adopt a new tactic or style?

And I love the way you view potential signings. You appear to know what these players will think of our club.

give me your opinion on who should be manager?
    What's more annoying is he rarely backs up his point or reply to a debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

What's more annoying is he rarely backs up his point or reply to a debate

He's trying to lure people into calling him a troll se he can report them, he doesn't care for debates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Angel Di Maria and Burnley in the same sentence is quite surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

With this clear out that looks like that is happening,what will happen with Anderson ? How many years has he left on his contract ? Could we see him been released ?

He'll be converted into a goalkeeper. He's been bulking up on all those burgers for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Those 2 should be the first out the door ,they are an insult to the word winger.
    I cant believe that they havent been sold .

Can't see Valencia being sold as he offers cover at RB, Young should be gone before him and as someone else said, you couldn't see both them and Nani going in the one window. I could see Valencia being one of those who stays this season but maybe sold next summer as the squad is strengthened further.

Anderson should be first out if anyone would have him. Waste of space at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Zaha to palace on loan is now done.

Tweeted by United themselves

Manchester United (@ManUtd) tweeted at 7:27 PM on Thu, Aug 28, 2014:
    #mufc and Crystal Palace have agreed a deal to take Wilfried Zaha back to Selhurst Park on a season-long loan.

http://t.co/zxXHp2jrRI

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How many years has he left on his contract ? Could we see him been released ?

His contract is up in June next year. He signed a 4 1/2 year deal in December 2010.

I'd imagine thats the end of Zaha with us. Failed the first test of the season when he didn't show up for 'optional' training in the US and everyone else did. Talked a good game about a clean slate but seemed to be a pretender.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Giles talking about United on Off the Ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Shinji...

sad-5.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im very happy that its finally happening. The deadwood are getting the boot.

Of course Ill be sad to see Chico and Kag gone but they deserve a lot better than sitting on the bench. If they do decide to go, I wish them all the best and will thank them for everything they've done at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm all for a bit of knee jerkery but there is fecking no way Anderson is the better player now, nor would anyone pick Anderson ahead of cleverley at this point.

A number of clubs have bid for cleverley NO ONE wants Anderson. NO ONE.

I was kinda half joking. I agree with you on that.

But really if Cleverley leaves before Saturday LVG obviously has no faith in him anyway and presumably has another plan, such as repositioning someone or putting in a youngster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If we don't sell players, United are goaded for keeping dead weight on the books.

If we sell players, United are lamented for leaving us short of options.

There really is no ****ing winning with some people pissing and moaning on here.

The Burnley game is 1 game in a whole season. We have to have this root and branch clearout for the good of the future of the club. We will sign replacements, and add more in January or next summer.

Who's pissing and moaning? It's called discussing things.

People have different opinions on things. Try arguing your case if you disagree with them.

Brace yourself for bad news then Kryo, your boy Kagawa looks to be on the way out.

So I am reading here, haven't checked anything out myself yet, though LvG did include him in his 10 players injured comment so maybe there is hope!

I would love to see him stay and have the impact I want, and I am sure everybody wanted from him but if he isn't going to be used properly and if it is just going to drag on he may as well go now when we can re coup a good chunk of the money paid and he will get to kick start his career again. A return to Dortmund I would see as a backwards step but sometimes you have to step back to go forward.

Delighted to hear Clev seems to be on the way out, absolutely delighted! So what if we will be short for Burnley (probably). Its one game, the chance to get rid of him can't be passed up

Why would you play Cleverly in the Burnley game when there are other (better) options anyway.

We should be crushing Burnley with the team available.

Where are the rest of our new signings?
    We are signing another midfielder, right?
    Selling Cleverley definitely means we've got someone lined up, RIGHT???

oMAcKE.gif[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So I am reading here, haven't checked anything out myself yet, though LvG did include him in his 10 players injured comment so maybe there is hope!

I would love to see him stay and have the impact I want, and I am sure everybody wanted from him but if he isn't going to be used properly and if it is just going to drag on he may as well go now when we can re coup a good chunk of the money paid and he will get to kick start his career again. A return to Dortmund I would see as a backwards step but sometimes you have to step back to go forward.

Delighted to hear Clev seems to be on the way out, absolutely delighted! So what if we will be short for Burnley (probably). Its one game, the chance to get rid of him can't be passed up

It is a relief, and gives one hope.

adox wrote: »
    Who's pissing and moaning? It's called discussing things.

People have different opinions on things. Try arguing your case if you disagree with them.

I understand that. And I agree, your previous post on it is discussing the issue.

Sarcasm and constant questioning of every decision made is whinging in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭billyhead

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not a midfield 2, a midfield 3. There is no point continuing to play this 3-5-2 formation without amazing wide backs and with a shortage of quality defenders. Unless he plans on playing Di Maria as the left wide back for the next game.

I can see him switching to 4-3-1-2 for the next game. Something like this. Maybe Blackett instead of young at left back.

320178.jpg

Is Rojo still not eligible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

billyhead wrote: »
    Is Rojo still not eligible?

Hasn't gotten a work permit yet afaik

Is Smalling fit to play?

Edit: injured with no current return date.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hasn't gotten a work permit yet afaik

You couldn't make up some of the **** that happens!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rojo won't play even if he does get a permit before Sunday, he's in Argentina.

You couldn't make up some of the **** that happens!

Even worse is the fact that there's no Argentinian embassy in the UK (Falkland War etc) so he has to be in Madrid to work it out.

• Advertisement

Between now and 31st December we have 17 league games (no cup games until the FA cup starts up in early January). That works out as LESS than one game per week. We simply do not need the numbers in the squad to be able to manage this. This clearout has been long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I thought it was Madrid?

Blackett instead of smalling then. Wouldn't be impressed with the backline but we should just be aiming to outscore them.

Not playing a defensive midfielder with 2 strikers up front is suicide imo.

LvG said he is in Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Here's me thinking signings were subject to work permits these days...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement