Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

That's 8 players. These days to compete at the business end you need more quality than that.

And of those guys that you've named, I'd narrow it down to De Gea, Rooney and RVP.

The rest are prospects and "TBCs".

evans is TBC?

Mata?!!??!?!!!!!

welbeck?

Hernandez?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

LVG is the main culprit for this window going the way it is. Not Woodward and its about time people admitted it.

He didn't take over properly until about 14 July, he managed his first match on the 24th.

Whilst he was at the world cup he semmingly okay'ed the deals for Herrara and Shaw who signed up on the 26th-27th of June. He was also fine with Evra and Rio leaving.

He called a halt to any progress we had made on Kross and showed zero interest in Cesc when Barca said he was up for sale.

He said he was happy with the squad a couple of times whilst in the US and implemented a 3-5-2 system for all our pre-season games when the team had only three CBs with first team experience.

On July 17th he said he would take three weeks to assess the squad. Around the 4th of August we bid for Vermalen, on the 7th of August exactly three weeks later Wegner confirmed UTD had bid.

In between those dates, on the 26th July LVG deems the squad broken and unbalanced.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that if your playing with three CBs and you only have three CBs that you need CBs straight away.

There seems to have been no effort that we know of in the meantime to sign a backup LB, another winger or midfeilder. Woodward aint going to bid on players behing LVGs back.

LVG has ignored quality and has been indescisve and slow to act in this window.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I am the first to admit that United need a lot of new players. The team right now isn't good enough.

My point is that it didn't happen in the last year and Ed Woodward didn't start United being crap at transfers, they have been rubbish at them for years.

I agree, but think we need to change the transfer system. And Woodward should stick to commercial deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I hope everyone has there gifs ready for the next signing...Ed better sign someone I've been sitting on a Simpsons gif for over a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I know United have a reputation for plastic fans and glory hunters but if all you want are big name signings and endless success then why not just go follow Real Madrid or dye your Man U jersey blue?

"And Fergie said 'go watch Chelsea'
    are you having a laugh I'll be watching FC"

You sound like one of those FC United types.:rolleyes:

Might suit you better.

LVG wasn't here last Summer Airbag, and we had a similar situation. I don't think it's a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

bangkok wrote: »
    i hope you are not serious?!
    I couldn't be more serious if I tried really really hard.

Edit: leaving aside any "knock down" prices from the guts of 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Zico wrote: »

"And Fergie said 'go watch Chelsea'
    are you having a laugh I'll be watching FC"

You sound like one of those FC United types.:rolleyes:

Might suit you better.

Does rolling your eyes at me invalidate my point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

fully fit squad and our team would be lining out as follows...

de gea

rafael
    jones
    evans
    shaw

carrick

Herrera
    fletcher

Mata

rooney
    rvp

There is almost no pace in that team ,too many slow one paced players.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

evans is TBC?

Mata?!!??!?!!!!!

welbeck?

Hernandez?

Yes.

Evans has done well partnered with either Vidic or Ferdinand in the past but has yet to deliver when playing as the senior man in a United defence.

Mata was a panic buy who wasn't needed. He has done very little since joining and was someone that the best manager in the league was happy to see the back of.

Wellbeck is not good enough to be Manchester United's front man in my view. A decent player...nothing more.

Hernandez was exposed again on Saturday. Great finisher but poor all round play means that he's not good enough.

De Gea would walk into our rivals' teams. RVP would too. Rooney probably would. Beyond that, nobody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Do you think it's acceptable for a club like Swansea (12th) to come to Old Trafford and win?

It's football. One team can beat another. Is that not acceptable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It's football. One team can beat another. Is that not acceptable?

It is completely unacceptable for small clubs to routinely pitch up at Old Trafford and win which is what we're becoming accustomed to seeing.

Yes.

Evans has done well partnered with either Vidic or Ferdinand in the past but has yet to deliver when playing as the senior man in a United defence.

Mata was a panic buy who wasn't needed. He has done very little since joining and was someone that the best manager in the league was happy to see the back of.

Wellbeck is not good enough to be Manchester United's front man in my view. A decent player...nothing more.

Hernandez was exposed again on Saturday. Great finisher but poor all round play means that he's not good enough.

De Gea would walk into our rivals' teams. RVP would too. Rooney probably would. Beyond that, nobody else.

Not taking the piss or anything, but you have often talked about your mate in JP Morgan who deals with some of uniteds business. Could you ring him up and try to get some insider info for the boys on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

It is completely unacceptable for small clubs to routinely pitch up at Old Trafford and win which is what we're becoming accustomed to seeing.

Why? They won on merit?

We're having a poor patch. It happens in football.
    Stick around for a few years, you'll see that most clubs go up and down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

Do you think it's acceptable for a club like Swansea (12th) to come to Old Trafford and win?

correction:
    Swansea (5th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He did? Who?

Cantona, Denis Irwin, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Mark Hughes, Peter Schmeichel, he made 99 total signings as manager, and believe me not all of them were Bebes.

twam2008 wrote: »
    LVG wasn't here last Summer Airbag, and we had a similar situation. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Last summer there were bids for Cesc, Coentrao, Kedhira and interest shown in Thiago. Moyes watched Kroos and apparently met his agent and this summer talk of Kroos getting a big pay packet to take him to UTD was rife.

LVG has ignored Cesc and Kroos this summer when both were open to a move.

We bid for Cesc last summer but Woodward suddenly dropped his interest this summer? Woodward didn't fancy Kroos either?

No, Woodward bids on the managers behalf for player the manager wants and you simply can't ignore some of the calls LVG has made this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

LVG has ignored Cesc and Kroos this summer when both were open to a move.

Why would Kroos even entertain the idea of going to Utd when Real Madrid were sniffing around ?

We don't know what calls LVG has made and have no way of knowing, presumedly he has requested players and none have been signed. Given his CV I wouldn't doubt his experience in signing players, although he might not have realised how hard it would be at Manchester United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why would Kroos even entertain the idea of going to Utd when Real Madrid were sniffing around ?

The little boy inside of course

twam2008 wrote: »
    We don't know what calls LVG has made and have no way of knowing, presumedly he has requested players and none have been signed. Given his CV I wouldn't doubt his experience in signing players, although he might not have realised how hard it would be at Manchester United.

You could say the same for Woodward but people have no problem judging him. We do know Woodward bid for Cesc last summer and not this summer when Cesc was easier to get.

Thats purely an LVG call.

No one is arguing over LVGs CV. He is known to be a slow starter at the clubs he has managed. Still there is a time call him on his actions and he hasn't exactly been impressive this window.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and wasn't he a boyhood fan of the club.

Cantona, Denis Irwin, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Mark Hughes, Peter Schmeichel, he made 99 total signings as manager, and believe me not all of them were Bebes.
    Its quite telling the names that, I'm assuming, initially came to you would be very similar to the names that would also initially come to me and even more telling that they're all from roughly 15-20 years ago. I'd also doubt that a few of them would be classed as bargains in their day even if the money seems like peanuts now.

The chance to tell his grandkids that he once played with Cleverley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

United Report ‏@UtdReport 14s
    Rojo: "It feels like a dream, to be a #mufc player. Leaving Sporting wasn't easy." [ARG Radio via @HEGS_com]

Reckon it'll be announced tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Miguel Delaney on Off the ball said Van Gaal wants 4 players in:
    2 in defense
    1 in midfield and a wide player/Di Maria.

He said Van Gaal was livid over Woodward not getting Vermaelen in as he was led to believe it was going to happen while he was away at the world cup.

Meanwhile Franz Beckenbauer has said Reus could move to Bayern next year but if he doesn't it will be to Real Madrid or Man United.
    I will put my neck out and say Reus will go to Madrid next year as a replacement for Ronaldo who moves to united again...only if we get CL, so Woodward and co better get the players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its quite telling the names that, I'm assuming, initially came to you would be very similar to the names that would also initially come to me and even more telling that they're all from roughly 15-20 years ago. I'd also doubt that a few of them would be classed as bargains in their day even if the money seems like peanuts now.

Ronaldo, Vidic, Evra come to mind of late however none in the last few years of his reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

True, Roy Keane broke the British transfer record at £3.5 million.

I remember it well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rojo has apparently said he is a manchester united player now.

was due to travel to manchester tonight but didnt due to " unexpected delay" according to Duncan Castles.

The saga continues but it does look like this one is completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I think we all just need a signing at this stage, would be a bit reassuring to know that things are indeed happening.

Hopefully they're like buses, and there's another few announced tomorrow.

Rojo has apparently said he is a manchester united player now.

was due to travel to manchester tonight but didnt due to " unexpected delay" according to Duncan Castles.

The saga continues but it does look like this one is completed.
    Hopefully its not like Odemwingie where Rojo drives up to Old Trafford only to be told, ummmm, sorry Mr Rojo sir, Woody has forgot to submit the bid but relax, we're assured its fairly high up on his to-do list.

Di Marzio on Benatia:
    Roma will meet Benatia’s agent tomorrow. Bayern is the only interested club: here’s their possible offer
    The future of Benatia is still uncertain. It emerged in the last minutes that the agent of the defender will meet Roma’s Sabatini tomorrow. They will discuss the potential extension and the pay raise. An important contractual offer could lead to a complete agreement between the parties. Or maybe there’ll be a delay or even a break up. The scenarios are not defined yet, meanwhile Bayern Munich are pursuing him. The German club is the only one that is really interested in Benatia, they are willing to offer €25M plus bonuses, to be paid in two years. The bid is too low compared to Roma’s price tag. Tomorrow could be the day of truth for Benatia.
    Ancelloti uncertain over Di Maria's future:
    I don't want to enter into this theme so I don't lose focus on tomorrow's game. Di Maria is available like all the others. He may or may not start the game and has opportunities, but like everyone else.
    I don't know what Di Maria has decided. But I know that he's training and that he could help us in tomorrow's match. Until August 31 it will continue the same way and after that everything will be cleared up and things will return to normal."

Argentine's at United are a bit hit and miss. It'll be interesting if he signs, which is looking fairly likely atm.

RobertKK wrote: »
    True, Roy Keane broke the British transfer record at £3.5 million.

I remember it well...
    I remember a fella at school telling me that he read on Aertel that we signed Roy Keane. I ran straight home after school to check the teletext to make sure he was bs'ing me. More innocent days.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Looking at City and Chelsea they have pulled clear it's at least a two year project to get back to competing for the league imo. This season i would be delighted to get 4th and get rid of some of the deadwood. A Vidal or Hummels would be nice but i would be happy with Rojo, De Jong and two back up full backs.

I think the 3-5-2 can work with two proper wing backs and two capable midfielders. I can't understand the thinking behind last Saturday playing 3-5-2 with no fit wing backs. The team is only two or three signings away from being in good shape for the top 4. Shaw and Rafael will make a huge difference compared to Lingard and Young. Also a decent midfielder in beside Herrera would make a huge difference Fletcher is not good enough. Something like below would be good enough imo for the top 4.

DDG

Jones
    Rojo
    Evans

---Rafael
    Shaw

De Jong
    Herrera

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I think the 3-5-2 can work with two proper wing backs and two capable midfielders. I can't understand the thinking behind last Saturday playing 3-5-2 with no fit wing backs. The team is only two or three signings away from being in good shape for the top 4. Shaw and Rafael will make a huge difference compared to Lingard and Young. Also a decent midfielder in beside Herrera would make a huge difference Fletcher is not good enough. Something like below would be good enough imo for the top 4.

DDG

Jones
    Rojo
    Evans

---Rafael
    Shaw

De Jong
    Herrera

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

Rojo would be on the left side of the back three with Evans in the centre. We haven't really been linked by any reliable journalists with any top midfielders which is a worry. De Jong would be a good signing only if we got Strootman in in January I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I hate to bring it up, but United finished 7th last season and were still able to get a mega deal from Adidas.

A mega deal that includes clauses to punish us if we finish 7th again.

• Advertisement

Rojo just followed Cuadrado on Instagram.

CuadradON.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Just made all that up, mind you. But goes to show that any numpty with a keyboard like myself can make up transfer stories.

Post of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I must be the only one on this forum who thinks Phil Jones is better than Johnny Evans.

When all are fit I see Jones beside a new CB in a back 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

GSPfan wrote: »
    I must be the only one on this forum who thinks Phil Jones is better than Johnny Evans.

Evans has performed at a high level for years now, I can't see how anyone could think Jones is better.

Montroseee wrote: »
    Evans has performed at a high level for years now, I can't see how anyone could think Jones is better.

I could detail how i think Jones is a better player but it's pointless. We'd still disagree and everyone would hate us for it.

Regarding Rojo,

I wonder is the rumour of Nani going on loan significant in the possibility of signing another wide player.

Di maria anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

GSPfan wrote: »

I agree with you on Jones vs Evans. I think for all the game time Evans has gotten over the last few years he has still had some serious flaws. Jones needs more regular starts, but when he gets that I think he'll push far above Evans' level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Rojo deal done, Nani going the other way on season long loan, dunno how reputable this site is

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2014/08/19/5043762/rojo-confirms-dream-manchester-united-move?ICID=HP_BN_1?CMPID=FBINT_140819_Rojo

Forget it, realised that site is shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Rojo plays anywhere other than LB until Shaw comes back, provided Blind or someone doesn't sign, then it's a joke. LVG still hasn't worked out the kinks in his system and it could cost United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Liam O wrote: »
    If Rojo plays anywhere other than LB until Shaw comes back, provided Blind or someone doesn't sign, then it's a joke. LVG still hasn't worked out the kinks in his system and it could cost United.

Shaw is only missing another 2 isn't he?

Outside of a few glimpses at the World Cup, I don't know much more about Marcos Rojo. Seems to be a 'still learning his trade' sort of player who could yet develop into something much better, but at the moment we also need an enforcer type back there.

Benatia would be ideal and the way it flipped from "Benatia flying to Manchester" on SSN a few nights ago to today's "no other clubs apart from Bayern interested in Benatia" just shows there's absolutely no way to predict what way the next 2 weeks are going to go for the club and us fans.

If the Rojo deal goes through, that still leaves at least 3 players greatly needed for the first team to be signed in the next 13 days. In an ideal world it would be Reus, Vidal and Hummels, but signing Di Maria, Vidal and Benatia would be more than adequate also. Do I see any of those combinations of signings happening or do you? They are the calibre of players for the kind of areas we need to strengthen in order to compete once again, but as I type their names out I can't help but think that there's not a chance of it happening. If Ed 'watch this space' Woodward and his team somehow managed to pull it off it will be a masterstroke, but I just can't see it.

Early August last Summer, I thought the sky was the limit and there was even a chance of the club bringing Ronaldo back. A year later, there are more problems to fix now along with the ones there were back then and my confidence in the club doing that is now a fraction of what it was at that point. Why they refuse to put their money where their mouth is and get deals done is a mind fúck for me at this stage. Herrera and Shaw were reportedly all but signed off on from last season, so where are the results of this Summer's grafting and negotiations?

If Marcos Rojo is the sum total of the next 13 days activity, then what was widely reported since January to be a Summer of a much needed rebuilding/replenishing with funds available up of upwards of £200m will be a completely underwhelming haul when September 1st arrives. Definitely not good enough going into a season where Top 4 and a return to the C.L. is vital for the club's future.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement