Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

wenger

Sacked from Nancy and left Monaco by mutual consent I.e. sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

First of tomorrows back pages..

BwJ_gWRIMAAJXAq.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Mata isn't very debatable, he's had 23 goals and 31 assists in his last two full seasons ffs, who in his position matches that?

Sorry man, but that's classic United myopia (which we're all guilty of on occasion). Mata has been poor so far. He had been marginalised at Chelsea (by the best manager in the league) which suggests "caveat emptor". No less a figure than John Giles echoed that view on Newstalk this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

duffman13 wrote: »
    Sacked from Nancy and left Monaco by mutual consent I.e. sacked

Think he left Nancy by mutual consent but was defintely sacked by Monaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Whatever about Van Gaal getting sacked by Bayern and Barca, its been stated by people within those clubs that he was responsible for developing a philosophy and style of play that went on to be incredibly successful. He knows his stuff give him time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Mata isn't very debatable, he's had 23 goals and 31 assists in his last two full seasons ffs, who in his position matches that?

All his UTD goals have come from the weaker teams - Aston Villa, Newcastle, Norwich City, Southampton and Sunderland.

When UTD played the bigger teams he scored nothing, and his contribution was minimal.

The term "world class" has a very fine line. Probably why Mourinho sold him for a club-record fee at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Where exactly does everyone's blind faith in Van Gaal stem from? Let's have a detailed look at his career:

Netherlands - Semi final of the World Cup. So what? The standard was poor and they got to the final in 2010.

Bayern Munich - Sacked

AZ - Won the League. So what? The Dutch league is sh1te.

Ajax the 2nd time - Sacked

Barcelona the 2nd time - Sacked

Netherlands - Sacked after being humiliated by...Ireland

Barcelona - Sacked

Ajax - Won the Champions League (in 1995)

Not exactly Jose Mourinho, is he?

He only managed Ajax once. He was a technical director when he resigned at Ajax and not the manager of the team. Koeman managed Ajax back then.

I don't think that many Man U supporters are suffering from blind faith when it comes to van Gaal though, more a case of hoping that a manager who has a track record of creating hard to beat teams that win on a regular basis goes on to repeat that trick at Man U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Sorry man, but that's classic United myopia (which we're all guilty of on occasion). Mata has been poor so far. He had been marginalised at Chelsea (by the best manager in the league) which suggests "caveat emptor". No less a figure than John Giles echoed that view on Newstalk this evening.

All you ever talk about is how crap mata is and how good Jose is. Are you trying to tell us something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Look on the bright side if/when we beat Burnley(yes I know I have just cursed us even more) on Saturday we will be 5th/4th for a couple of hours depending on goals scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads what ever LVG wants to do, we have have faith that he's doing the best for utd. Thats what im thinking anyway. Ill be fully behind him. I know its a big job and needs time to rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

All you ever talk about is how crap mata is and how good Jose is. Are you trying to tell us something?

I was just about to pose a similar question. Closet Chelsea fan I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

All his UTD goals have come from the weaker teams - Aston Villa, Newcastle, Norwich City, Southampton and Sunderland.

When UTD played the bigger teams he scored nothing, and his contribution was minimal.

The term "world class" has a very fine line. Probably why Mourinho sold him for a club-record fee at the time.

So did Suarez

Listen the only way you can say Mata isn't world class is if your definition of world class is a player who is one of the best performing players in a certain position over a few seasons, except Juan Mata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

So wenger before arsenal was the only top one sacked. Point proved saying lvg is wrong because he had been sacked l.

I'm surprised his hair isn't a factor

Di Maria ertainly is in very esteemed company...

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/505108880943116288

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Chill out lads, we'll beat Burnley and by Tuesday we'll have at least 2 new players.

Be grand.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »

Don't firget Valencia

Don't forget Valencia

I wish i could

Not at all. I just like to look beyond the hype around Mata and ask how exactly he's panning out as a signing. Disastrously would be my appraisal.

I also believe that Mourinho is the best manager in the league by some way and wish that he'd been given the job a year ago.

That doesn't make me a Chelsea fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Look on the bright side if/when we beat Burnley(yes I know I have just cursed us even more) on Saturday we will be 5th/4th for a couple of hours depending on goals scored.

And 3 points closer to safety :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads what ever LVG wants to do, we have have faith that he's doing the best for utd. Thats what im thinking anyway. Ill be fully behind him. I know its a big job and needs time to rebuild.

It's going to take more than the three months he was talking about but just like it was exciting to watch Fergie's team in the early to mid 2000's grow from being a bunch of kids and develop, I'm looking forward to the same under LVG.

• Advertisement

Don't firget Valencia
    Shhhhhh

Don't firget Valencia

& Owen....

Still does not sit right with me actually :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Where's the main man himself?

michael-owen_1446998c.jpg

Fergie was sacked by the way...St Mirren

Trappatoni's career is arguably more illustrious than Van Gaal's. Is he above criticism? Do we accept that he's not a has been?

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Where's the main man himself?

michael-owen_1446998c.jpg

I mean, whoever thought THAT was a good idea? the no.7

Someone better had got the sack for that brainwave :confused:

£8 million for Cleverly ... how is that even possible :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads what ever Moyes wants to do, we have have faith that he's doing the best for utd. Thats what im thinking anyway. Ill be fully behind him. I know its a big job and needs time to rebuild.

Blast from the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thought we'd have to pay Villa a bit more than that.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Going to be a lot of players linked between now and Monday. Won't know what to believe.

Should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Not at all. I just like to look beyond the hype around Mata and ask how exactly he's panning out as a signing. Disastrously would be my appraisal.

I also believe that Mourinho is the best manager in the league by some and wish that he'd been given the job a year ago.

That doesn't make me a Chelsea fan.

You'd be negative if you won the lottery in the morning. It really is tiresome to read at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's easy see why everyone is so easily taken in with fake transfer stories :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Premier league champion, English international, former Watford player of the year?! bargain of a price

Edit: Forgot League one Champion also!

Say:

- Things continue exactly as they've been for the first three games (i.e. abject and insipid performances).

- We don't strengthen our midfield or our defence.

- We finish 7th again.

Should Van Gaal be sacked? I'd say absolutely.

The difference is, I judge things based on what I see - Van Gaal's reign has been disastrous so far. Yes it's early days, but he looks utterly clueless and as bad as Moyes.

The majority on the other hand are judging him based on nebulous stuff like his success years ago or what he might do in the future. It's like Mata. "He was two time player of the year at Chelsea". So what? I judge him on the here and now. Mourinho (arguably the world's best manager dumped him. We paid £37m for him and he's been awful so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

:)

We signed Di Maria this week. Marcos Rojo last week.

We signed Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera earlier in the summer.

We appointed Louis Van Gaal as manager.

Juan Mata plays for Manchester United as of January 2014.

It looks like there'll be more arrivals before Monday night.

:D

Tom Cleverley looks to be on his way out and the club is in the middle of a long rebuild.

There's a lot to be positive about, so lets not get too bogged down in arguments and results just yet. Lets just kick on, continue to build. Is everything perfect? No, but there's plenty to smile about too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Say:

- Things continue exactly as they've been for the first three games (i.e. abject and insipid performances).

- We finish 7th again.

The difference is, I judge things based on what I see - Van Gaal's reign has been disastrous so far. Yes it's early days, but he looks utterly clueless and as bad as Moyes.

The majority on the other hand are judging him based on nebulous stuff like his success years ago or what he might do in the future. It's like Mata. "He was two time player of the year at Chelsea". So what? I judge him on the here and now. Mourinho (arguably the world's best manager dumped him. We paid £37m for him and he's been awful so far.

No-one is judging on him his previous accomplishments, at least me. I'm judging him on his confidence and his ruthlessness at shipping out the deadweight and signing players we need, something that has been ignored for years. I really couldn't care if we don't finish top 4 this season ( I think we will ) , hes making changes that need to happen

nuxxx wrote: »
    You'd be negative if you won the lottery in the morning. It really is tiresome to read at this stage

How is that analogy even relevant?!

We didn't "win the lottery" with Mata. He's been poor since we signed him. We were duped into overpaying for a player that Chelsea wanted rid of. He is the dictionary definition of a panic buy.

Its become like that annoying time when all the sky commentators referred to Giggs as "Evergreen Ryan Giggs" it actually became his official name for a while I believe. I wonder does Jose know about new title that must go with every mention of his name?

Apologies, Jose (best in the league, arguably greatest in the game)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Larry, name a top manager who hasn't been fired apart from fergie.

Wasn't Fergie sacked by St. Mirren?

• Advertisement

I mean, whoever thought THAT was a good idea? the no.7

Someone better had got the sack for that brainwave :confused:

Jaysus ya. Giving it to a pool lad. Lovely player for us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Say:

- We finish 7th again.

Theres no point judging him on what ifs. Van Gaal is trying out a system that most of these players have never played in before. It will take time but lord we are only entering the third game on Saturday. Not a good start but still not nearly enough to say his "reign has been disastrous".

And what's wrong with Mata? Been one of the few players playing decent for us in the last 8 months or so. 17 appearances and something like 7 goals and 4 assists and a couple of MOTMs, hardly can say he has been awful after that.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Wasn't Fergie sacked by St. Mirren?

Yep and at the wrongful dismissal tribunal the chairman even went so far as to say Fergie had no managerial ability :)

Spot on there

Edit: Though in a later interview the chairman said the reason for the dismissal was because Fergie had already agreed to join Aberdeen without permission from St. Mirren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Say:

- My mate in JP Morgan says things continue exactly as they've been for the first three games (i.e. abject and insipid performances).

- We don't strengthen our midfield or our defence according to my good friend in JP Morgan

- We finish 7th again.

Should Van Gaal be sacked? My uncles brothers dogs aunts friend who happens to work for someone who lives with a guy who works for a guy who is in the mail room at JP Morgan say absolutely.

The difference is, I judge things based on what I see in the eyes of my fake contacts - Van Gaal's reign has been disastrous so far. Yes it's early days, but he looks utterly clueless and as bad as Moyes.

The majority on the other hand are judging him based on nebulous stuff like his success years ago or what he might do in the future. It's like Mata. "He was two time player of the year at Chelsea". So what? I judge him on the opinion of my left shoe. Mourinho (arguably the world's best manager dumped him. We paid £37m for him and he's been awful so far.

I also have a friend.

Say:

- We finish 7th again.

I hope mata scores a goal abd gives you the finger

kryogen wrote: »
    Yep and at the wrongful dismissal tribunal the chairman even went so far as to say Fergie had no managerial ability :)

Spot on there

Edit: Though in a later interview the chairman said the reason for the dismissal was because Fergie had already agreed to join Aberdeen without permission from St. Mirren

There was a hilarious dossier produced with offences such as lending a staff member his car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Is it? I'm not convinced. Buying Di Maria when we've more pressing needs worries me.

Maybe because he will also address those issues and decided we do need a world class wide player as we have none.

It opens up up a lot more options for us tactically.

The window is not closed yet. I have every confidence that a good central midfielder will be brought in.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Maybe because he will also address those issues and decided we do need a world class wide player as we have none.

It opens up up a lot more options for us tactically.

In the next 96 hours?

I hope so.

Because we've played three games so far and the highlight has been Rory McIlroy parading the claret jug...

I really dont understand why posters respond

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

kryogen wrote: »
    Its become like that annoying time when all the sky commentators referred to Giggs as "Evergreen Ryan Giggs" it actually became his official name for a while I believe. I wonder does Jose know about new title that must go with every mention of his name?

Apologies, Jose (best in the league, arguably greatest in the game)

Pellegrini should dump more class players instead of winning trophies :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

In the next 96 hours?

I hope so.

Because we've played three games so far and the highlight has been Rory McIlroy parading the claret jug...

Just curious, but what age are you?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement