Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Headshot wrote: »
    I really dont understand why posters respond

Boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be happy with Carvalho.

This lad Lucas Silva was mentioned, any good, potential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

:)

We signed Di Maria this week. Marcos Rojo last week.

We signed Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera earlier in the summer.

We appointed Louis Van Gaal as manager.

Juan Mata plays for Manchester United as of January 2014.

It looks like there'll be more arrivals before Monday night.

:D

Tom Cleverley looks to be on his way out and the club is in the middle of a long rebuild.

There's a lot to be positive about, so lets not get too bogged down in arguments and results just yet. Lets just kick on, continue to build. Is everything perfect? No, but there's plenty to smile about too :)

26720_giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I be happy with Carvalho.

This lad Lucas Silva was mentioned, any good, potential?

Captained my United side to a league and champions league double in FM so i would recommend him highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

We signed Di Maria this week. Marcos Rojo last week.

We signed Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera earlier in the summer.

We appointed Louis Van Gaal as manager.

Juan Mata plays for Manchester United as of January 2014.

It looks like there'll be more arrivals before Monday night.

:D

Tom Cleverley looks to be on his way out and the club is in the middle of a long rebuild.

There's a lot to be positive about, so lets not get too bogged down in arguments and results just yet. Lets just kick on, continue to build. Is everything perfect? No, but there's plenty to smile about too :)

The awesomeness of this man has no bounds

gq-espana-2012-12-08.gif

Sorry man, but that's classic United myopia (which we're all guilty of on occasion). Mata has been poor so far. He had been marginalised at Chelsea (by the best manager in the league) which suggests "caveat emptor". No less a figure than John Giles echoed that view on Newstalk this evening.

This is the same Mourinho who marginalised Robben, he really got that one right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nuts102 wrote: »
    This is the same Mourinho who marginalised Robben, he really got that one right.

If we are going down that road, there are no good managers to have ever existed. I could list 20 players Fergie signed that were awful.

I don't care how good you are, nobody is infallible.

Kirby wrote: »
    If we are going down that road, there are no good managers to have ever existed. I could list 20 players Fergie signed that were awful.

I don't care how good you are, nobody is infallible.

The poster saying is using Mourinho letting him go as a way to back up his point. I am using the example of Robben to prove people get it wrong.

Who said anybody was infallible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Vidal not signing tomorrow then Larry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Where exactly does everyone's blind faith in Van Gaal stem from? Let's have a detailed look at his career:

Netherlands - Semi final of the World Cup. So what? The standard was poor and they got to the final in 2010.

Bayern Munich - Sacked

AZ - Won the League. So what? The Dutch league is sh1te.

Ajax the 2nd time - Sacked

Barcelona the 2nd time - Sacked

Netherlands - Sacked after being humiliated by...Ireland

Barcelona - Sacked

Ajax - Won the Champions League (in 1995)

Not exactly Jose Mourinho, is he?

Let's try and look at this in a different way.

Netherlands: 2012 - 2014

Qualified for the World Cup winning 9 out of his 10 qualification games, and drawing the remaining game. They then won all of their games apart from the semi-final in which they lost to Argentina on penalties. He then left to join Manchester United.

Bayern Munich: 2009 - 2011

Bundesliga: 2009–10
    DFB-Pokal: 2009–10
    DFB-Supercup: 2010

Got off to a poor start, but won the Bundesliga in his first season, while introducing youth players such as Muller and Badstuber. He was sacked on the 10th of April the following season after dropping to 3rd in the league.

AZ Alkmaar: 2005 - 2009

Eredivisie: 2008–09

Also notable was 2nd and 3rd place finishes in his first two seasons, and a 28 game unbeaten run in the season they won the Eredivise. However, a poor 11th place in 2007-08 season led to him nearly resigning.

You mention Ajax, but he wasn't actually a manager. He was a director of football in 2004, but he resigned due to a conflict with now Southampon manager Ronald Koeman.

Barcelona: 2002 - 2003

Although he won a record equalling 10 successive matches in the CL, he left by mutual consent on 28 January 2003 with the club in 12th place, just three points above the relegation zone and 20 points behind leaders Real Sociedad.

Netherlands: 2000 - 2002

Took the position in preparation for the World Cup but mixed results led to him resigning after the Netherlands failing to qualify for the knockout stages.

Barcelona: 1997 - 2000

La Liga: 1997–98, 1998–99
    Copa del Rey: 1997–98
    UEFA Super Cup: 1997

Left Barcelona after falling out with the press and players unwilling to accept his style of play.

Ajax: 1991 - 1997

Eredivisie: 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96
    KNVB Cup: 1992–93
    Johan Cruijff Shield: 1993, 1994, 1995
    UEFA Champions League: 1994–95; Runner-up 1995–96
    UEFA Cup: 1991–92
    UEFA Super Cup: 1995
    Intercontinental Cup: 1995

Left Ajax after seeing out his contract.

Not exactly bad, is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Let's try and look at this in a different way.

Netherlands: 2012 - 2014

Qualified for the World Cup winning 9 out of his 10 qualification games, and drawing the remaining game. They then won all of their games apart from the semi-final in which they lost to Argentina on penalties. He then left to join Manchester United.

Bayern Munich: 2009 - 2011

Bundesliga: 2009–10
    DFB-Pokal: 2009–10
    DFB-Supercup: 2010

Got off to a poor start, but won the Bundesliga in his first season, while introducing youth players such as Muller and Badstuber. He was sacked on the 10th of April the following season after dropping to 3rd in the league.

AZ Alkmaar: 2005 - 2009

Eredivisie: 2008–09

Also notable was 2nd and 3rd place finishes in his first two seasons, and a 28 game unbeaten run in the season they won the Eredivise. However, a poor 11th place in 2007-08 season led to him nearly resigning.

You mention Ajax, but he wasn't actually a manager. He was a director of football in 2004, but he resigned due to a conflict with now Southampon manager Ronald Koeman.

Barcelona: 2002 - 2003

Although he won a record equalling 10 successive matches in the CL, he left by mutual consent on 28 January 2003 with the club in 12th place, just three points above the relegation zone and 20 points behind leaders Real Sociedad.

Netherlands: 2000 - 2002

Took the position in preparation for the World Cup but mixed results led to him resigning after the Netherlands failing to qualify for the knockout stages.

Barcelona: 1997 - 2000

La Liga: 1997–98, 1998–99
    Copa del Rey: 1997–98
    UEFA Super Cup: 1997

Left Barcelona after falling out with the press and players unwilling to accept his style of play.

Ajax: 1991 - 1997

Eredivisie: 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96
    KNVB Cup: 1992–93
    Johan Cruijff Shield: 1993, 1994, 1995
    UEFA Champions League: 1994–95; Runner-up 1995–96
    UEFA Cup: 1991–92
    UEFA Super Cup: 1995
    Intercontinental Cup: 1995

Left Ajax after seeing out his contract.

Not exactly bad, is he?

But can he do it on a wet and windy Tuesday night against Stoke? ;)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

irishfeen wrote: »
    £8 million for Cleverly ... how is that even possible :)

"What do you mean you gave him 8 million pounds, we had an agreement for 800,000, where's he gone???"
    "Eh he just left sir"

tumblr_mvyurgGDp71shtowzo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Say:

- Things continue exactly as they've been for the first three games (i.e. abject and insipid performances).

- We don't strengthen our midfield or our defence.

- We finish 7th again.

Should Van Gaal be sacked?
    On the assumption that this season is an absolute disaster if we continue as we have so far, then yes, he should be sacked.
    I'm all in favour of assumptions, in moderation of course, but that's one mighty big one you're trying to sell us right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What about Giggs in all of this, if it does go up in smoke again this season what implications will that have on him being manager down the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Welbeck is going nowhere. As inept and insane as some of our recent transfer dealings have been, letting Welbeck go for any amount would surpass them all in terms of its stupidity. Him, Di Maria and Januzaj/Mata/Rooney supplying RVP/Wilson is a frightening prospect and one which should be set in motion asap.

Also, Utd should buy Morgan Schneiderlinn from Southampton who imo is the best all round midfielder in the league by a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

For f*ck sake lads, the quotes! Please, stop the quotes! I've had to scroll past several pages of the thread. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Giggs is unqualified, inexperienced, and inept, and has no place being assistant manager of the first team never mind being touted as a future manager.

He should have got a youth or reserve team coaching role. LvG should have brought in his own number two.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Phelan out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

What about Giggs in all of this, if it does go up in smoke again this season what implications will that have on him being manager down the line?

I've honestly no idea what this obsession with Giggs is - trying to bed him in as the new manager or whatever they're trying to do.

There's absolutely no correlation between being a great player and being a good manager - Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho weren't great players.

I doubt Giggs was LVG's first choice as assistant manager, very much doubt it.. It's a fairly essential role too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Giggs is unqualified, inexperienced, and inept, and has no place being assistant manager of the first team never mind being touted as a future manager.

He should have got a youth or reserve team coaching role. LvG should have brought in his own number two.

He may not be qualified or experienced enough to be an assistant manager to anyone else but he ticks plenty of boxes on LvG's criteria for his assistant manager tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

K4t wrote: »

Also, Utd should buy Morgan Schneiderlinn from Southampton who imo is the best all round midfielder in the league by a distance.

I'm sorry but this is crazy talk. Even the biggest diehard United would fail to argue with the fact that Yaya Toure is the best all round midfielder if not best all round player in the league and is so by a staggering margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

kryogen wrote: »
    He may not be qualified or experienced enough to be an assistant manager to anyone else but he ticks plenty of boxes on LvG's criteria for his assistant manager tbh.

Like what?

I've honestly no idea what this obsession with Giggs is - trying to bed him in as the new manager or whatever they're trying to do.

There's absolutely no correlation between being a great player and being a good manager - Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho weren't great players.

I doubt Giggs was LVG's first choice as assistant manager, very much doubt it..
    I'd like to think Giggs isn't only there in a managerial role because of his exploits as a player but because he has shown some ability and nuance in the field.

Giggs is the record league winner, was a player for nearly 20 years under Sir Alex and was the first player still playing to earn the UEFA Pro Licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Giggs is the record league winner, was a player for nearly 20 years under Sir Alex and was the first player still playing to earn the UEFA Pro Licences.

He'd want to have been. He had long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lads. How true\likely are all these stories im hearing about.

(a) Welbeck is leaving...where?
    (b) Villa are purchasing Cleverley for 8m
    (c) Kagawa is going back to Dortmund, for how much?
    (d) Zaha 100% gone on loan to Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Trilla wrote: »

Can't answer a-c but Zaha has gone the Club have tweeted about it on the offical account.

Trilla wrote: »

(c) £12.5m is what I have seen bandied about online
    (d) Check your fantasy football to see if Zaha is still under Man Utd or Crystal Palace.

I'm sorry but this is crazy talk. Even the biggest diehard United would fail to argue with the fact that Yaya Toure is the best all round midfielder if not best all round player in the league and is so by a staggering margin.
    Difficult to compare as one is a defensive midfielder and the other has essentially a free attacking role in the best team in the league. Toure's goal scoring record is no doubt formidable, but Schneiderlinn is way ahead in the defensive stats and on a par in his passing ability. He's also still only 24 and a few years away from his peak. All round I believe he's the better midfielder but obviously an argument could be made for Toure because of his attacking prowess and goals.

edit: also :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think Welbeck will stay

• Advertisement

Actually can't believe i read someone say Schneiderlen is a better midfielder than Yaya. Must be some sort of boards hidden camera show.

I think Welbeck will stay
    Me too.

Also in relation to the talk of Mourinho here, I think Welbeck would thrive under a manager like Mourinho and in his system. I sometimes wonder if, apart from the odd champions league tie where he was our main striker and performed very well, did Moyes actually get in his ear and give him a bit of a talk to get his confidence up. The ability is certainly there and at times he shows glimpes of world class talent, but it just seems his confidence and belief in those around him is very low. Even the last night against MK Dons, there were several instances where he looked up to the heavens after Chicarito made poor decision after poor decision.

Will LVG still have his weekly press conference tomorrow or will the Di Maria pc be his pc for this week?

Like what?

1. He knows the club inside out

(Do I just need one or do you want some other LvG criteria if you can't just google?) :)

Difficult to compare as one is a defensive midfielder and the other has essentially a free attacking role in the best team in the league. Toure's goal scoring record is no doubt formidable, but Schneiderlinn is way ahead in the defensive stats and on a par in his passing ability.

Let me stop you here, Yaya is a beast, he is arguably the best player in the league and certainly capable of dominating games all by himself, when in the mood.

Yaya >>>>>>>> Schneiderlin and it isn't even close tbh. Morgan may become a cracking player, he is already a very good one imo but Toure is almost up there with the Messi's and Ronaldo's of this world. For my money he is the best midfielder on the planet

kryogen wrote: »
    Let me stop you here, Yaya is a beast, he is arguably the best player in the league and certainly capable of dominating games all by himself, when in the mood.

Yaya >>>>>>>> Schneiderlin and it isn't even close tbh. Morgan may become a cracking player, he is already a very good one imo but Toure is almost up there with the Messi's and Ronaldo's of this world. For my money he is the best midfielder on the planet
    We'll agree to disagree.

We'll agree to disagree.

I'll do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Will LVG still have his weekly press conference tomorrow or will the Di Maria pc be his pc for this week?

Later today 3pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yaya was nowhere to be found 2 seasons ago before people forget. If he has any defensive responsibility he's shackled and that's a big drawback for the best 'all round' midfielder in the league. Ramsey is in with a shout and Henderson did really well last season too and they have the bonus of being more likeable than Yaya who is ultimately a prima donna imo after his birthday escapades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Have a feeling today could be a busy day...

Game tomorrow, there are other games Sunday (with other managers involved) and hopefully avoiding the last min premium payment on Monday....

Would hope to hear of some business today!

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Yaya was nowhere to be found 2 seasons ago before people forget. If he has any defensive responsibility he's shackled and that's a big drawback for the best 'all round' midfielder in the league. Ramsey is in with a shout and Henderson did really well last season too and they have the bonus of being more likeable than Yaya who is ultimately a prima donna imo after his birthday escapades.

Think the birthday thing may not have been accurate, wasn't it something to do with his brother?

As I said, when he is in the mood, he didn't put in any effort in the season you refer to and it showed big time. Doesn't really change that he is a beast though, just one with a questionable temperment (we have had a few of those players ourselves)

He does his defensive duties brilliantly when the manager shackles him so not sure how thats a big drawback. Henderson is a joke is it? Ramsey is a cracking player and only getting better after a rough couple of seasons where it was thought by plenty including a lot of Arsenal fans that Wenger had ruined him!

Being a prima donna doesn't stop you being the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

What business are we likely to do before transfer deadline day on Monday.

Is there any chance of Vidal or Blind coming ?

Who else might we get.

I've a feeling we will sign at least 1 new player but hopefully it will be 8 or 9 :Djust kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I've been saying for a while that only one more player would come in. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised if another three were bought. Just think there will be a few surprises.

Would love to see: carvalho, vlaar, blind.
    That would set it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

n32 wrote: »
    Whatever about Van Gaal getting sacked by Bayern and Barca, its been stated by people within those clubs that he was responsible for developing a philosophy and style of play that went on to be incredibly successful. He knows his stuff give him time

Very much this. Whatever his results on the field I'm very happy he'll leave us in good shape when he leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Rumours overnight:

Gazetta reporting that talks with Juve on Vidal are still ongoing.

Kagawa has agreed personal terms with Dortmund, apparently.

Welbeck open to loan move to Spurs.

Other than that, it's rather quiet. Suspiciously so. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Taok wrote: »
    Whatever his results on the field

If the results continue on the same trajectory, he should be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Would Welbeck get a look in at Spurs?

would United allow him to go on loan to a rival for 4th place? Even if he scored goals against Pool that would push Spurs ahead of United.

Can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

NeVeR wrote: »
    What business are we likely to do before transfer deadline day on Monday.

Is there any chance of Vidal or Blind coming ?

Who else might we get.

I've a feeling we will sign at least 1 new player but hopefully it will be 8 or 9 :Djust kidding.

I reckon we will get two in. Carvalho/De Jong and Blind. I think it is too late to get Vidal. Really do think we could do we getting in a quality centre back but I can't actually think of any to go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Vlaar on a 2 year contract, do it. Offer 15m plus bonuses for finishing in the top 4, Villa won't turn that down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Vlaar on a 2 year contract, do it. Offer 15m plus bonuses for finishing in the top 4, Villa won't turn that down.

15m for Ron Vlaar??? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement