Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

RasTa wrote: »
    There was a bet that someone was getting banned for a month if we don't sign Vidal correct?

Yeah its me or Larry. Me if he signs and Larry if he doesnt. Not a ban as such but voluntary, although Gav has kindly volunteered to remove our access to the soccer forum for a month.:D

I`d still gladly take the hit of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, team for tomorrow?

De Gea
    ----Jones-Evans-Blacket
    Valecnia
    Young
    Rooney--Fletcher-Di Maria
    Mata
    RVP

can't see us going to a flat back 4 as we have no actual right back or left back. Think Rooney, however annoying it is, is better suited to being dropped into midfield rather than Mata and Anderson has shown no reason to start him - no other options in midfield I reckon. Will be interesting to see if Welbeck, Cleverley or Kagawa are involved in the match day squad at all. If they are on the cusp of leaving you would imagine not but given we are already without Smalling (maybe), Rafael (maybe), Shaw, Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini we don't exactly have many options for the bench. Wilson, Januzaj, James, Amos..... anyone else that has been involved that is not injured or being moved on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Trilla wrote: »
    You'd think lambert and Keane would no better re Cleverley.

I've seen the guy play well maybe 4 or 5 times max

9m??? Excellent price for us. Better still if an exchange can be done for whoever we let him go to.

Anderson, Kags and Hernandez to follow and I'll be v happy.

Young and Valencia will probably stay :-(

When he came up through the youth system he looked brilliant, his link up play with Welbeck was tremendous and he looked confident... and then got too confident, the whole TC23 thing was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

We won't hear anything concrete today. Id say last few days have been behind the scenes contacting players and clubs. If there is something done, we won't hear about it until tomorrow or Sunday from man utd.

I'm just glad I'm extra busy in work today so I don't have to watch the 'shambles' unfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I don't see the point of sending players in their mid 20s on loan - it invarably leads to either the player being crap at the new club (ala Anderson, Zaha, Fabio) and then impossible to shift when they return or they hit it off and want to only move to that club therefore reducing the partent clubs negotiating position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

anybody care to predict the line up? hard to know whats going on with Rojo, but i would imagine he wont start or be involved.

I actually haven't the foggiest what we will see tomorrow. With no full backs available I can't imagine how he will fit in both Mata and Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Are we all expecting Di Maria as a starter tomorrow? I thought he may only be on the bench due to his late arrival, but would be delighted if he starts

We won't hear anything concrete today. Id say last few days have been behind the scenes contacting players and clubs. If there is something done, we won't hear about it until tomorrow or Sunday from man utd.

I'm just glad I'm extra busy in work today so I don't have to watch the 'shambles' unfold.

I don't think we'll get anyone else in until Monday. Lets face it we're not first choice for the top players but if we're the only show in town (or the best paying show) come Monday it'll be piss or get off the pot time,

Hopefully United don't let it go this late though - thats how you end up paying £27M for Fellani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

adox wrote: »
    Are we all expecting Di Maria as a starter tomorrow? I thought he may only be on the bench due to his late arrival, but would be delighted if he starts

has he actually trained with us yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

has he actually trained with us yet?
    yep lvg said he'd trained 2 days

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

advertsfox wrote: »
    And SSN just posted:

More on the future of Tom Cleverley now, and Sky Sports understands that Valencia have made an offer for the Manchester United midfielder. Aston Villa and Hull City have also been linked with a bid to sign the England international before the transfer deadline.

Thought this was gonna be about Valencia being shipped out too... got a little giddy. Damn you!

I see very few options that would allow us to not play him, to be honest. Far from an ideal situation, but we have feck all alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

twam2008 wrote: »
    Its easy to forget that Cleverley has England caps. He had fantastic potential but I think the pressure on him was too great to manage. I do think he will go on and do good things. But as things stand, he would never have time to live up to that potential at Old Trafford. Good luck to him.

You know what got Clev those England caps? Hype. A young English player breaking into the UTD first team and the British media loved it. Clev was a bit of a fool too, shameless self promotion right off the bat, the TC23 website started before he had done anything of note.

He heaped too much pressure on himself by drawing a lot of media attention through self promotion. He should have kept his head down and worked on his game and actually became a good player then he could blow his own trumpet a little and believe me there was a lot to his game that needed working on.

Even this season he came out with two gems. "I'm exactly the type of player VG likes" & "VG's system is perfect for me, I'll do well in it" I'm paraphrasing but he gave two seperate interviews talking himself up but when he got on the pitch he stunk up the place.

There is a myth on this forum as well that Clev and Anderson "tore up the league" with their passing a few seasons back. Clev and Anderson? They never tore up the league. There were a few games at the start of the season against poor oposition were UTD played well and Tom and Ando were starters.

The fact is Clev never preformed for UTD. His starting level was very low and he maintained it throughout his time here. Worst of all he seemed oblivious to how poor he was. He was in love with the idea of being a football star rather then actually putting in the work to be one. He was mentally weak and a coward on the pitch.

Normally I don't have strong feelings of hate towards footballlers but the reaction to his leaving is very telling. People are delighted he is gone and the England fans started a petition to get him out of the England team. That says it all.

The best I can wish him is that he stays injury free and is given a chance to prove himself where ever he goes. I genuinely believe he would struggle at Hull or Villa. He is one of the worst if not the worst player to put on the UTD shirt and get regular game time. I'm glad he is gone. Good ridance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Apparently, there is a bid from Valencia for Cleverley.

Earlier in the year he said his 'Spanish' playing style is not appreciated in England.

764dak wrote: »

It's mad to think about him playing in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

for the sake of his career and his confidence he should go to valencia imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

The Times are also reporting that Hull have made a £9M bid. He's a wanted man is Tom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

statto25 wrote: »
    The Times are also reporting that Hull have made a £9M bid. He's a wanted man is Tom!

surely if 3 clubs are in for him we may be able to squeeze another million or 2 out of one of them. if it was levy he would probably be sold for 20 million :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wonder can we get double figures for him?

I'm not delighted to see him go as I hoped LVG might get what others saw in him, but I trust LVG thinks he ain't good enough and that's enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

It will suit his Spanish style though....

And if he leaves for £9 million, that'll be more than the reported £8 million Dortmund will pay for Kagawa :eek:

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    It will suit his Spanish style though....

And if he leaves for £9 million, that'll be more than the reported £8 million Dortmund will pay for Kagawa :eek:

If Clev goes for more than Kagawa I will genuinely feel sick.

There is something wrong with the world if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Read it o the Metro (I know, I know) that the Kagawa deal is £8M up front and £2M involving add-ons. If I were Ed I would say forget the add ons and just give United first refusal when the inevitable sale of Reus happens next Summer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I'm not delighted to see him go as I hoped LVG might get what others saw in him, but I trust LVG thinks he ain't good enough and that's enough for me.

Are ye all forgeting that the Cleverly transfer is all dependent on HIM......

He can leave next summer for free, so can just sit on his hands if he doesnt fancy any of the offers currently on the table...

Earlier in the year he said his 'Spanish' playing style is not appreciated in England.

Who'd have thought it? TC23 the subject of a bidding war? We'll get 20M foir him yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We had enough of TC23's third division Spanish playing style.

I don't see RM or Barca going into a bidding war for him.

Valencia must want a player who sounds smart.

Delboy5 wrote: »

He can leave next summer for free, so can just sit on his hands if he doesnt fancy any of the offers currently on the table...

and United can dump him to the reserves for the year, no football should be a big issue for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yeah its me or Larry. Me if he signs and Larry if he doesnt. Not a ban as such but voluntary, although Gav has kindly volunteered to remove our access to the soccer forum for a month.:D

I`d still gladly take the hit of course.
    Gav is on hols (real hols not the kinda ones most people have too go on) so might be a small delay getting it sorted but I'm sure Lord TSC will help out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I have to say, the hate for Cleverly is impressive. The highly subscribed myth that he is some sort of awful player, has never played well, has been the worst performer on the pitch in any particular game and has been the worst player for United ever is as laughable as it's ever been and yet it gets more entrenched every day. It's a great filter.

Quite simply anyone who saw something in him was wrong. Fergie or whoever else at the club.

A player like Clev should never have gotten as much game time for UTD as he did. How it was allowed to happen is beyond me. The press went with the new MF hope for UTD angle and some people gave him more time than he should.

He was found out a long time ago but still started. Ask yourself what did you ever see in him? what did he ever do to give you faith there was something there that others were seeing in him? Nothing, absolutely nothing or me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

RobertKK wrote: »
    We had enough of TC23's third division Spanish playing style.

I don't see RM or Barca going into a bidding war for him.

Valencia must want a player who sounds smart.

It's the TC23 brand they really want.

He'll pay back his fee in shirt sales within the week.

• Advertisement

Delboy5 wrote: »

Pffftt... Who are you, Tom's dad? Just send him to the basement and have Sir Alex Ferguson follow him down with a pliers. He'll sign what he's told to sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It's mad too think he gets paid too play football

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pro. F wrote: »
    I have to say, the hate for Cleverly is impressive. The highly subscribed myth that he is some sort of awful player, has never played well, has been the worst performer on the pitch in any particular game and has been the worst player for United ever is as laughable as it's ever been and yet it gets more entrenched every day. It's a great filter.

He brings anti-inspiration to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

How can Valencia afford tc23? How much does he earn a year and were would he put him..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

When Cleverly goes and no other CM comes in who gets the hate then?

PPointless selling him unless someone is coming in and the Vidal + Carvallho links have gone quiet.

dahat wrote: »

PPointless selling him unless someone is coming in and the Vidal + Carvallho links have gone quiet.

I'm available.

dahat wrote: »

Well Fellaini already gets the boos.

I can't remember Tom Cleverly getting booed by United fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Get where you're coming from alright. He's not the worst we've ever had but he's still just not United standard. I think the last few games have shown that easily. He looked like he was trying in his defence, but he just hasn't got it.

At this stage a move is best for him. He's not the level that's needed, he's out of the England team and he's going to be constantly hounded by united fans if he stays. For his career, a move is the smartest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Id say a lot of the interest around TC23 that isn't around some others is that he never got the BIG contract so his wages will be at a more reasonable level. Could be me talking böllocks though and someone comes and points out he is on 90k a week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

rightyabe wrote: »
    How can Valencia afford tc23? How much does he earn a year and were would he put him..??

In midfield, they were recently taken over by a billionare, not sure how much he earns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i dont hate him i just dont think he is united standard and hope he gets the move to valencia as its the best move for him.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Id say a lot of the interest around TC23 that isn't around some others is that he never got the BIG contract so his wages will be at a more reasonable level. Could be me talking böllocks though and someone comes and points out he is on 90k a week :D

He is on 70k according to numerous sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Weren't ye linked to Freddy Guarin a few days ago? Had a shocking season but is a very good all round player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It's mad too think he gets paid too play football

Sorry for being a grammar Nazi but wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Well Fellaini already gets the boos.

I can't remember Tom Cleverly getting booed by United fans.

Ah Fellani, forgot about him.

Blame rather than boos, he should be kept if there isn't anyone else coming in as we will be very short in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

He is on 70k according to numerous sources.

Talk about stealing a wage...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

In midfield, they were recently taken over by a billionare, not sure how much he earns

Lol...you must of missed my sarcarasm..

Valencia, Antonio

I don't hate him, though sometimes it's fun to take the piss. But let's be honest, he's 25 now and he's never going to get close to the standard he needs to be at for United.

We've had enough of mediocrity in the middle of the field for the last five years or so. If 9 million can be gotten for him then that's a great bit of business and is the best thing for him too. He must be in a bad place with the flak he has taken and he could thrive at a smaller club.

Sorry for being a grammar Nazi but wow.

He meant what he said. "It's mad also think he gets paid also football".

Your gas mate. Telling youself those slating him are a great filter for people who know nothing about football so you can pat yourself on the back with the illusion that you have some sort of intelligent football insight that nobody else posses.

Clev was muck, it was plain to see.

I'll tell you what a great filter is. Watching a player play ****e week in week out. Watching this player play it safe and offer no attacking threat because he was mentally weak, technically poor and played under a cloak of fear and would only move the ball into safe areas with the simplest risk free passes, safest and most mundane back to defence passes, more mundane to the wing passing that stagnated UTDs attacking threat whenever he started.

Now seeing that and having hope that the player would be world class and repating that hope for that player as recently as a season ago as you did even after seeing poor display after poor display, season after season. Now thats a great filter for someone with their head in the sand.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement