Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have a really bad feeling about the next couple of days. Think the club are in scramble mode like last summer, and we aren't going to bring in the targets.

Midfield and defence are short, gonna be another bad season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What about this the weekend.

DDG

---Raf
    Smalling----Evans----Blackett---

jones

Fletcher
    Di Maria

Janjuaz----Rooney
    Mata

not sure smalling is fit and mata on the wing? would be a waste also dropping rvp for januzaj i highly doubt that will happen.

if smalling is not fit i'd say

DDG

---Raf
    jones----Evans----Blackett---

Fletcher

Januzaj
    Mata

Rooney-- RVP
    Di Maria

OR

DDG

---Raf
    jones----Evans----Blackett---

Fletcher

Januzaj
    Di Maria

Mata

Rooney-- RVP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Paper talk today around Juan Mata being marginalised to make way for Angel Di Maria.

Tony Gale describes Mata as "a poor man's David Silva".

David Silva ****s himself in front of goals, I'd rather Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Vidal just tweeted a picture of himself with part of the tweet saying 'forza Juve'

Thats that then. See ya Larry.

We must have Carvalho wrapped up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

@TharaAzzam: Before the departure :vidal @kingarturo23: We r 100% juventus ! Al 100% vamos Juventus!!!!! http://t.co/IAew8UzRww" #juvenews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Have a really bad feeling about the next couple of days. Think the club are in scramble mode like last summer, and we aren't going to bring in the targets.

Midfield and defence are short, gonna be another bad season.

You're always a barrel of laughs with your thoughts & feelings :)

Chin up. It could be worse. Imagine if we kept Cleverely, LVG came out now and said no more signings and didn't sign Rojo or Di Maria to begin with? The internet would melt and flood the streets...

I just spent 5 mins peeling an orange to find it tasted absolutely horrible, can't get any worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Silvas a little overrated in my opinion.

Mata, even when he's playing bad, always nips in with a goal, freekick or a pass that changes the game.

and yes I agree he is better 1 on 1 with the keeper than Silva

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think the plan will be Carvalho plus DiMaria and Herrera in midfield.
    RVP and Rooney up top with Mata in behind.

Then get Strootman if possible at a later date.

Trilla wrote: »
    You're always a barrel of laughs with your thoughts & feelings :)

Chin up. It could be worse. Imagine if we kept Cleverely, LVG came out now and said no more signings and didn't sign Rojo or Di Maria to begin with? The internet would melt and flood the streets...

I just spent 5 mins peeling an orange to find it tasted absolutely horrible, can't get any worse

I'm worried we aren't going to sign any more midfielders, so I actually wouldn't like to see Cleverley sold. It is stupid to further weaken the squad, imo, without improving it before the window ends.

Hopefully I read some more stuff today that paints the situation in a better light, but i'm not liking the whispers I am hearing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Trilla wrote: »
    Mata, even when he's playing bad

Take that back. This has never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Silva for me everyday of the week, Love Mata but calling a spade a spade Silva is better, On his day very few come close to the sheer enjoyment you get of watching him, Class player.

Carvalho would be a fine signing imo. There is no proper defensive midfielder in the squad at the moment. Then go for Strootman in January and you've a completely transformed midfield.

I'm worried we aren't going to sign any more midfielders, so I actually wouldn't like to see Cleverley sold. It is stupid to further weaken the squad, imo, without improving it before the window ends.

Hopefully I read some more stuff today that paints the situation in a better light, but i'm not liking the whispers I am hearing at the moment.

We will, I think it will be all out by United to sign Carvalho as our defensive midfielder along with Blind for his versatility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

yermandan wrote: »
    @TharaAzzam: Before the departure :vidal @kingarturo23: We r 100% juventus ! Al 100% vamos Juventus!!!!! http://t.co/IAew8UzRww" #juvenews

looks like Larry won't be around for a month. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Would've loved him here but thank Christ all the Vidal shíte is finally over.

RobertKK wrote: »
    We will, I think it will be all out by United to sign Carvalho as our defensive midfielder along with Blind for his versatility.

Arsenal apparently ahead of us for Carvalho, and the lack of any actual movement re. Blind is convincing me we aren't in for him. If we wanted him, why are we waiting til the last days of the window? Seemed like the easiest of the speculated targets to get, yet here we are with nowt.

I do think we have targeted Vidal, Carvalho and a few others - but at this stage I don't think we are going to get any of the planned deals done.

I think it is sick the abuse some people are posting towards for Vidal for what he posted.
    Like it will encourage him to move to us in the future, hopefully he has poor English...

hopefully a win tomorrow and then 2 weeks to start getting that injury list down as much as possible with a couple of signings by monday night and things will start looking a lot brighter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

J. Marston wrote: »
    Would've loved him here but thank Christ all the Vidal shíte is finally over.

Same here,as much as I would have loved to see him in a Utd shirt,its time to move on.

• Advertisement

Arsenal apparently ahead of us for Carvalho, and the lack of any actual movement re. Blind is convincing me we aren't in for him. If we wanted him, why are we waiting til the last days of the window? Seemed like the easiest of the speculated targets to get, yet here we are with nowt.

I do think we have targeted Vidal, Carvalho and a few others - but at this stage I don't think we are going to get any of the planned deals done.

Trying to get the price down maybe for Blind, I don't know.

I don't believe Cleverley would be leaving if a deal isn't in place with whatever bits and bobs to be sorted out for a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

It means fairly little, He's talking in regards his fitness or so i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Would have preferred kagawa going on loan for a season and join them next year, he would would of been a good bargaining tool if gundogan is a target next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The very fact it has taken this long for Vidal to say this makes me certain United wanted him and he himself wanted it ... It's either Juve were looking for ridiculous money or we pulled out on injury ground - my betting is that we pulled out and gave him as long as possible to try and get fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

If there's nothing announced today then Monday could be as manic a day as the club has ever had with transfers.
    IF Welbeck AND Hernandez leave then surely a striker will have to come in? Kagawa leaving along with Cleverly seem to be fairly certain.
    That means at least 3 players will come in - and right now apart from rumours we have no idea whom.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Rojos work permit issue not Utds fault apparently.

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes 37m

Apparently part of the work permit problems for Rojo (and Vargas) are the cuts to the immigration service. David Cameron: hates Man Utd.

Rory Smith @RorySmithTimes · 40m

Fewer staff to process applications, so everything takes longer. Turns out the Premier League isn't entirely austerity-proof.

• Advertisement

kstand wrote: »
    If there's nothing announced today then Monday could be as manic a day as the club has ever had with transfers.
    IF Welbeck AND Hernandez leave then surely a striker will have to come in? Kagawa leaving along with Cleverly seem to be fairly certain.
    That means at least 3 players will come in - and right now apart from rumours we have no idea whom.

i wouldnt expect more than 3 players to come in tbh. as you said if both the lads go maybe move for a striker perhaps moves for blind and carvalho. the most i could see beyond that is maybe lucas silva

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I'm not flogging a dead horse when I say that Vidal's tweets don't confirm anything at all.

Forza Juve etc does not mean "I am not moving to Manchester United".

At best I can see us getting some backup targets now. Alex Song, De Jong, something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/revealed-man-utd-most-expensive-squad-ever-101231884.html
    Most expensive squad but only the 4th best out of them, just shows there has been some very poor transfer business in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Selling Cleverly would weaken the squad????

You've seen him play? I'm not even taking the piss, throw one of the young lads in and give them a chance. Clev is not up to it...

If there is an offer for him. Take it

• Advertisement

I can't read the tweets in work. It sounds like there's some positive news in relation to vidal???

At best I can see us getting some backup targets now. Alex Song, De Jong, something like that.

Alex Song - please God no. We would be better off keeping Cleverly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I can't read the tweets in work. It sounds like there's some positive news in relation to vidal???

He tweeted saying something like "Juventus are back to 100% power!". Not exactly, "I pledge allegiance...."

EDIT: Though another tweet translates as "Ready to start the championship! 100% let Juventus !!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Press conference at 3PM - he must be getting sick of them now ;)

10577071_10152403310112746_6925776490066666667_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

If you're a Juve fan, yes.

case885 wrote: »
    https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/revealed-man-utd-most-expensive-squad-ever-101231884.html
    Most expensive squad but only the 4th best out of them, just shows there has been some very poor transfer business in the past.

the fees for anderson and nani seem wrong. i always thought it was like 30-35 million for both

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He tweeted saying something like "Juventus are back to 100% power!". Not exactly, "I pledge allegiance...."

EDIT: Though another tweet translates as "Ready to start the championship! 100% let Juventus !!!!!"

:(

Selling Cleverly would weaken the squad????

You've seen him play? I'm not even taking the piss, throw one of the young lads in and give them a chance. Clev is not up to it...

If there is an offer for him. Take it

Cleverley is a better option in midfield, right now, imo, than Anderson, Pearson, Rothwell and Harrop; and I would say there is little to chose between himself, Fellaini and Fletcher. Carrick and Herrera are the only two CMs at the club I would say are clearly better than him. There isn't one midfielder fit that is better than him, imo.

If he can be adequately replaced, then yeah - sell him. But at this point, having been targeting a CM all summer, I'm worried we simply won't get a decent player in so are simply reducing the number of players we have without proper thought to the team we are going to put out.

Anderson and Fletcher have a real possibility of starting together tomorrow for us.

We've been trying to shop Anderson for over a year and Fellaini would be in the shop window too if he wasn't injured.

Carrick, Herrera and Fletcher are the only CM players United haven't tried to get rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

be interesting to head what Van Gaal has to say today.
    Its all gone very quite on the transfer front, which is a worry.

Still have until Monday I suppose so we will have to wait and see.

Please please let there be at least a midfielder coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Supposedly in talks with West Ham anyway

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »

and because it seems to come up every week.... the second half of the press conference is ALWAYS embargoed - where he talks to the written press for their stories to appear tomorrow.

adox wrote: »
    be interesting to head what Van Gaal has to say today.
    Its all gone very quite on the transfer front, which is a worry.

Still have until Monday I suppose so we will have to wait and see.

Please please let there be at least a midfielder coming in.

Have a feeling Monday will be a merry-go-round of manic proportions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

advertsfox wrote: »
    Press conference at 3PM - he must be getting sick of them now ;)

10577071_10152403310112746_6925776490066666667_n.jpg

Van Gaal: I only buy players that fits my philosophy, this is not always easy.

Van Gaal: I am not a magician, to make these changes takes time. You must be patient.

Van Gaal: I have said that already.

Van Gaal: That is not for me to say. The club will come with an announcement at the right time.

I could write the transcript and he could stay at home. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Cleverley is a better option in midfield, right now, imo, than Anderson, Pearson, Rothwell and Harrop; and I would say there is little to chose between himself, Fellaini and Fletcher. Carrick and Herrera are the only two CMs at the club I would say are clearly better than him. There isn't one midfielder fit that is better than him, imo.

If he can be adequately replaced, then yeah - sell him. But at this point, having been targeting a CM all summer, I'm worried we simply won't get a decent player in so are simply reducing the number of players we have without proper thought to the team we are going to put out.

Anderson and Fletcher have a real possibility of starting together tomorrow for us.

We've been trying to shop Anderson for over a year and Fellaini would be in the shop window too if he wasn't injured.

Carrick, Herrera and Fletcher are the only CM players United haven't tried to get rid of.

Man...

You said there is not one better midfielder there than him??

Is that not in essence the entire problem? Honestly keeping him around for lack of a better option is settling to put it mildly, awful outlook on the future of the club and if we are to progress we need to think top drawer, move em on of they are not good enough...

Enough of the limping on and scraping by, no point

Why the slating of Alex Song?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

magnumbud wrote: »
    the fees for anderson and nani seem wrong. i always thought it was like 30-35 million for both

They were taken to task about that earlier on twitter, but obviously haven't changed it. Those are the prices are that they cost in Euros. It was about £20m for Anderson and £17m for Nani. Rooney cost a lot more than £20m too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

No song for us it seems

Sky sources understand that West Ham are in talks to sign Barcelona midfielder Alex Song.

Lazy, useless and offers nothing. Would be a retrograde step signing someone like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Man...

You said there is not one better midfielder there than him??

Is that not in essence the entire problem? Honestly keeping him around for lack of a better option is settling to put it mildly, awful outlook on the future of the club and if we are to progress we need to think top drawer, move em on of they are not good enough...

Enough of the limping on and scraping by, no point

What? If we are short in that position and there are no better options then what is the point of selling him if no one else is coming in, just because you dont think he is good enough?

Its like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Advertisement

Lazy, useless and offers nothing. Would be a retrograde step signing someone like him.

Think that's a bit overboard but again it's not a signing I would want at UTD.

De Jong for me short term as he could provide an instant impact for the next 2 years.

Carvalho long term as DM

And as for Vidal - if it doesn't want to sign - **** em move on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement