Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Think that's a bit overboard but again it's not a signing I would want at UTD.

De Jong for me short term as he could provide an instant impact for the next 2 years.

Carvalho long term as DM

And as for Vidal - if it doesn't want to sign - **** em move on

I agree with all that.
    I'm reading nothing into Vidals tweet - I do take on board the concerns over his knee. Its a huge outlay if we do decide to go for it and I cant imagine he'd leave Juve for a pay per play deal or anything of the sort.
    Monday will be manic around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

adox wrote: »
    What? If we are short in that position and there are no better options then what is the point of selling him if no one else is coming in, just because you dont think he is good enough?

Its like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

So what your saying is to play him knowing the result of playing him??? Sounds like a good plan..

Or here's a novel idea...

Play one of the hungry kids, they might acutally put in some effort for the cause and hey, not one to question Fergie but if that concept was adopted from Day one we would not even be in this position....

I.e. Pogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Man...

You said there is not one better midfielder there than him??

Is that not in essence the entire problem? Honestly keeping him around for lack of a better option is settling to put it mildly, awful outlook on the future of the club and if we are to progress we need to think top drawer, move em on of they are not good enough...

Enough of the limping on and scraping by, no point

I'd prefer to play Cleverley in midfield than have to move Jones in there leaving only Evans, Blacket and Keane at the back, with maybe Thorpe on the bench.

I would prefer to play Cleverley in midfield and Rooney up front than Rooney in midfield.

I would prefer to play Cleverley in midfield than Fellaini.

I would prefer to play Cleverley in midfeild than Anderson.

Sure, I want us to improve on ALL of those options, including playing Cleverley, but I see it as stupid to move a player on without replacing them in the squad with a good player.

Sure, a cull of poor players needs to happen but we can't do it without replacing the squad need. We bring in Carvalho/Vidal and Blind and it would be a happy 'good luck Tom' from me, but I don't think we are going to do so - based on the whispers I am hearing (which could OBVIOUSLY be wrong). I simply don't want players sold, thus creating a weaker squad, without having deals to bring the squad back up to proper standard in place. We have 17 league games til the january window - we won't do well enough with the midfield we currently have, and selling Cleverley CREATES further problems rather than solving any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mata is not a waste in the wing forward role, especially with how he's been playing through the middle recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If we are accepting offers for Clev it signals to me we are far down the line with another CM. Carvalho, Vidal, Blind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I'd prefer to play Cleverley in midfield than have to move Jones in there leaving only Evans, Blacket and Keane at the back, with maybe Thorpe on the bench.

I would prefer to play Cleverley in midfield and Rooney up front than Rooney in midfield.

I would prefer to play Cleverley in midfield than Fellaini.

I would prefer to play Cleverley in midfeild than Anderson.

Sure, I want us to improve on ALL of those options, including playing Cleverley, but I see it as stupid to move a player on without replacing them in the squad with a good player.

Sure, a cull of poor players needs to happen but we can't do it without replacing the squad need. We bring in Carvalho/Vidal and Blind and it would be a happy 'good luck Tom' from me, but I don't think we are going to do so - based on the whispers I am hearing (which could OBVIOUSLY be wrong). I simply don't want players sold, thus creating a weaker squad, without having deals to bring the squad back up to proper standard in place. We have 17 league games til the january window - we won't do well enough with the midfield we currently have, and selling Cleverley CREATES further problems rather than solving any.

Selling Cleverly today... Right now...

Does NOT create a problem. It creates an opportunity, it's all about perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Mate of mind tells me that Hummels will be part of the kagawa deal... has this already been talked about today ? . .sorry if it has.

Luc Castaignos - anyone know anything about him?

NeVeR wrote: »
    Mate of mind tells me that Hummels will be part of the kagawa deal... has this already been talked about today ? . .sorry if it has.

Would be a great swap for both clubs, would soften Kagawa's departure as most of us are sorry to see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Keno wrote: »
    Damn. Fucking. Straight. Go way this 'Modern Family' nonsense.

He's also Coach O'Shea in the Little Giants.
    Little-Giants.jpg

Ah here for **** sake, I am well aware that Ed O'Neill was Al Bundy and of course the infamous Danny O'Shea of O'Shea Cheverolet, but in that picture he looks the spits of Jay from Modern Family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Liam O wrote: »
    Mata is not a waste in the wing forward role, especially with how he's been playing through the middle recently.

there was something sky did there last week comparing his impact playing on the wing for united vs centrally. 7 goals in 8 central starts 0 from the wing. his assists stats are terrible from the wing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So what your saying is to play him knowing the result of playing him??? Sounds like a good plan..

Or here's a novel idea...

Play one of the hungry kids, they might acutally put in some effort for the cause and hey, not one to question Fergie but if that concept was adopted from Day one we would not even be in this position....

I.e. Pogba

I was trying to point out your flawed logic in your last post. You seemed to be admitting that the other options left at the club are worse than him but we should sell him anyway because you dont think he is good. All this in a position that we are extremely short in numbers in.

Would be amazing if true, but I would be 99.9% certain it isn't. Only thing is, if they're talking to Dortmund anyway about Kagawa, gives an opening to talk about Hummels.

magnumbud wrote: »
    there was something sky did there last week comparing his impact playing on the wing for united vs centrally. 7 goals in 8 central starts 0 from the wing. his assists stats are terrible from the wing too

I saw that on balls.ie I think, the stats were remarkable. Much better in every facet when playing through the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

If Vidal is a dead duck, wtf is Ed gonna do with the €70m in cash he acquired a few weeks ago? If the exchange rates go against us, we could lose a small fortune overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ah here for **** sake, I am well aware that Ed O'Neill was Al Bundy and of course the infamous Danny O'Shea of O'Shea Cheverolet, but in that picture he looks the spits of Jay from Modern Family.

Superb stuff Mikeyt!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Very much doubt it. Reports from Germany is a straight cash deal for around £10m. Also Hummels has just been made Dortmund captain and is worth at least 3 times that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

"Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri has confirmed that Arturo Vidal will not be joining Manchester United this summer and is staying in Turin."
    Allegri wrote:
    He's a fundamental player for Juve and he will stay with us.

Took long enough to finally stop pissing about and say that he is staying - I genuinely believe there was true interested. Either too much money or not happy with his knee.

That would be fantastic if true but I highly doubt there is any substance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

DT
    Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 1m
    Latest info from #MUFC - and always reluctant to post these - is that there will be nothing happening with them and Vidal/Carvalho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

No disrespect to Allegri but he has as much say who the club signs and sells as you and I do.

• Advertisement

YAY! Another pathetic season beckons. 200million spent and still a broken squad with a woefully inadequate midfield, one actual right full back, and questionable centre backs. Well done United. At least we've got another attacking player who will will struggle to provide a platform for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

There's only onnnnnnne Daley Bliiind!

TheTownie wrote: »
    DT

:(

Vidal I never really believed would happen but yesterdays reports about Carvalho really had me excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

DT

Well, that's disappointing. Fail to sign a central midfielder this window and kiss fourth place goodbye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

YAY! Another pathetic season beckons. 200million spent and still a broken squad with a woefully inadequate midfield, one actual right full back, and questionable centre backs. Well done United. At least we've got another attacking player who will will struggle to provide a platform for.

Yay another classic knee jerk reaction from Mitch.

At least wait until the window is closed ffs.

I wonder is there anyone we arn't thinking of, that could come out of the blue.

Well, that's disappointing. Fail to sign a central midfielder this window and kiss fourth place goodbye.

Even De jong now would be a huge improvement to the team. Not everyones cup of tea I know but at this stage would take him in a heart beat.

Lets hope that Utd and Van Gaal have a surprise up their sleeves and pull something out of the hat.

At least one - I reckon we need two; a top class first team player and a backup/rotation player.

What we are going to be left with is Herrera, Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Anderson. But yeah, selling Cleverley is the answer to our midfield problems, right guys? RIGHT?

At least one - I reckon we need two; a top class first team player and a backup/rotation player.

What we are going to be left with is Herrera, Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Anderson. But yeah, selling Cleverley is the answer to our midfield problems, right guys? RIGHT?

Who has ever said that though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Danny was his brother. Ed played Kevin.

But...
    rK3TdJx.gif

TheDoc wrote: »
    I wonder is there anyone we arn't thinking of, that could come out of the blue.

Would say Schneiderlin but Southampton have no interest in selling him.

De Jong, Blind and Song are the only CMs linked to united with any great substance. I'd take the first two - would need to get both though, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry just one moment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Nnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I'm fairly new to this forum, but every time I read your posts I wonder if you lied when you were 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

lads, how good or bad is Welbeck really? Good enough as a backup striker?
    Is he pacey?

Yay another classic knee jerk reaction from Mitch.

At least wait until the window is closed ffs.

Yeah, 3 days is plenty of time for United to get deals done, only takes 24 hours, eh!? EH?

Fletcher and Anderson will be an awesome partnership vs Burnley, we're grand!

Same crap people have been saying all summer - plenty of time to get the CM players required in, we'll be fine, woodward knows what he is doing. there's a month left, there are weeks left, there are a few days left, there are a few hours left....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Absolutely this........our current squad will be lucky to finish 5th or 6th!

Agreed. CM needs solving now, not in the next window. No way will Utd achieve 4th with a young, leaderless defence and that woeful midfield. Doesn't matter how good the front 4 are.

Utd have 3 days to turn around what currently looks like a completely bonkers transfer strategy.

Threads just got weird the last couple of posts.

Edit: Few posts back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Agreed. CM needs solving now, not in the next window. No way will Utd achieve 4th with a young, leaderless defence and that woeful midfield. Doesn't matter how good the front 4 are.

Utd have 3 days to turn around what currently looks like a completely bonkers transfer strategy.

I can understand why the Vidal deal isn't going ahead. But carvalho would be the type of signing we should be looking at.
    Can't think of another central midfielder of quality that we are likely to land before Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Calm down LVG said only yesterday there will be arrivals... come back and b~tch on Tuesday if the squad stays the same as it is

• Advertisement

Lads - yer basing the pessimism on a few throw-away comments on Twitter.
    Wait til Monday night and then let their be an outpouring of grief and anger if things havent moved or we've ended up with second rate ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Is he pacey?

I think we should keep him.. very good backup i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Is he pacey?

really good imo. good enough to play a no1 striker role at a decent club. yea really fast, strong, skilful, confident, makes good runs, probably the best striker at man utd to actually stretch the opposition defence, hope we keep him

LVG sounded confident that signings will be coming in no?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

adox wrote: »
    Threads just got weird the last couple of posts.

Edit: Few posts back

Few threads back more like it :D

kstand wrote: »
    Lads - yer basing the pessimism on a few throw-away comments on Twitter.
    Wait til Monday night and then let their be an outpouring of grief and anger if things havent moved or we've ended up with second rate ****e.

The tweets just remind us what we're already thinking, that theres only 3 days left.

I think its legitimate to have concerns with 3 days to go. Its cutting it fine.

TheDoc wrote: »
    LVG sounded confident that signings will be coming in no?

Yes (I hope there's some positives from the press conference today), it's just a few are having freakers because the beloved Vidal is not signing. I'm glad it's over with hate that dragged on bull****.

I need futureguy right now to say something about a DM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah, 3 days is plenty of time for United to get deals done, only takes 24 hours, eh!? EH?

Fletcher and Anderson will be an awesome partnership vs Burnley, we're grand!

Same crap people have been saying all summer - plenty of time to get the CM players required in, we'll be fine, woodward knows what he is doing. there's a month left, there are weeks left, there are a few days left, there are a few hours left....

yawn.... YAWN!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yes, it's just a few are having freakers because the beloved Vidal is not signing. I'm glad it's over with hate that dragged on bull****.

I need futureguy right now to say something about a DM

In fairness I had my freakout over Kroos, never believed Vidal was coming so meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Everyone talks of strengthening but there is also the huge element of Van Gaal getting the best out of the players which has yet to happen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement