Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

TheDoc wrote: »
    LVG sounded confident that signings will be coming in no?

I think its fair to say, LVG has no issue changing his tune. One week he says it takes 24 hours to sign someone, the next week he says it difficult.

If Utd failed to sign anyone else, he would just say with a straight face, we tried but you don't always get what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

NeVeR wrote: »
    I think we should keep him.. very good backup i'd say.

I was rather hoping you might sell him to us...Chelsea as it looks Torres is off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Utd denied interest in Di Maria a few weeks back, means nothing although Ive always thought that the most likely arrivals would be De Jong and Blind

Nurse
    Howard Nurse ‏@howardnurse 3m
    Carvalho and Vidal (knee concerns) not joining #mufc according to club sources - so who might not be being chased down a Blind alley then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think we're going to get Carvalho and a PL midfielder from Southampton but that's just a hunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Three hours before my challenge is done,

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

yawn.... YAWN!

Do you ever have anything to say about Utd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads what ever LVG wants to do, we have have faith that he's doing the best for utd. Thats what im thinking anyway. Ill be fully behind him. I know its a big job and needs time to rebuild.

Moyes didn't get too long. I don't see why the tulip will either if this form continues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

So when tweets claim Vidal etc are joining they're rubbish but when it's bad news there's crying and gnashing of teeth?

Wait until Monday night...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

If Utd buy Schneiderlinn it would equate to the combined signings of everyone else bought this summer (including Di Maria) in terms of the impact it would have on the team and style of play. He really could be the answer to all our midfield woes. Best midfielder in the league imo (Yaya, Ramsay, Fabregas best attacking mfs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

in fairness. Nurse and Taylor are fairly reliable when it comes to United news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Larry is sweating bullets

in fairness. Nurse and Taylor are fairly reliable when it comes to United news.

Who does D Taylor work for? Thought it was the Guardian that ran print Vidal agent was in Manchester...

Khedira , Lars Bender, Daley Blind. Would like either one, preferably two.

Esteban Cambiasso just signed for Leicester City. I know he is 34 but for a year he could have offered something, I really liked him when he played against United over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Larry is sweating bullets

Nah, not really to be honest. Heading off on hols during my (probable) exile so no harm really.

Will be exceptionally disappointed if we don't sign Vidal to be honest as he's absolutely the guy who we need.

I haven't lost complete faith though yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

with alonso gone cant see madrid selling sami unless they get someone in

EDIT: i know his contract is nearly up but think madrid could just take the hit

looking at madrids squad on wiki they actually have a small enough squad only 21 players.

Khedira not going anywhere so no point putting his name in the ring.

K4t wrote: »
    If Utd buy Schneiderlinn it would equate to the combined signings of everyone else bought this summer (including Di Maria) in terms of the impact it would have on the team and style of play. He really could be the answer to all our midfield woes. Best midfielder in the league imo (Yaya, Ramsay, Fabregas best attacking mfs).

I can't see Southampton selling any more this summer and the last rumours for this dude coming to UTD was back in April

Who does D Taylor work for? Thought it was the Guardian that ran print Vidal agent was in Manchester...

Yeap, he works for the Gaurdian alright.

• Advertisement

Didnt Ancelotti confirm that Khedira was staying in Madrid?

TheTownie wrote: »
    Khedira not going anywhere so no point putting his name in the ring.

Que?

adox wrote: »
    Didnt Ancelotti confirm that Khedira was staying in Madrid?

Was just going to ask, did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Neeson wrote: »
    Moyes didn't get too long. I don't see why the tulip will either if this form continues.

Moyes had no previous experience of any note to point to.

Van Gaal has.

It's Woodward still being in current job beyond this transfer window, if he's spent 180m without addressing the greatest needs of the team, that will be surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Almost time for the press conference. Which reporter will dare to ask him about transfers?

In the best Dutch, pissed off tone: "I have already answered this question...'

On Marcos Rojo's work permit: "It's only a matter of time. I'm manager of the biggest club in the world, but I can't change the law!"

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

I am pretty sure that he did, I think the big issue over Khedira is whether he will sign a new contract or not. Even if he doesnt its hard to see Real letting him go when they just lost Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

United said they're not interested in Schneiderlin.

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3921/transfer-zone/2014/08/24/5056587/ancelotti-confirms-arsenal-target-khedira-will-stay-at

"Khedira is happy here and he is staying," Ancelotti told reporters. "The matter is resolved & he stays at Real Madrid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What's the story with Darron Gibson's knee? Might be worth a punt.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Appreciate anyone posting transcript of presser, or links to where i can read stuff, keep forgetting to bookmark the good ones i find on google

What's the story with Darron Gibson's knee? Might be worth a punt.

:pac:

I would prefer Paul Pogba if were going to buy back players we have already sold / let go :pac:

Good drinking game for Van Gaal press conferences. Drink up every time he mentions his past successes.

Zamani
    Omid Zamani ‏@OmldZamani 8m
    SKY Italia says Juventus is working hard on #Chicharito's deal, the player has agreed to join #Juve and now it all depends on United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Appreciate anyone posting transcript of presser, or links to where i can read stuff, keep forgetting to bookmark the good ones i find on google

http://www.manutd.com/en/MatchTrackerSeasons/2014-15/United-Today-live-blog/United-Today-Live-Blog-Official-260814.aspx

• I was successful at Bayern
    • I was successful at Barcelona
    • I was successful at Ajax
    • Re transfers: I have told you many times, Man Utd will announce it when it happens

That's about the size of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Reedsie wrote: »
    Good drinking game for Van Gaal press conferences. Drink up every time he mentions his past successes.

A shot of tequila every time he says 'philosophy'...

Not sure I would remember my own name if this was the case..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its disappointing slightly if Vidal deal is finally dead, but I never was letting myself get to excited it was going to happen; between his knee and how hard it is to sign top level players, and how every summer we have a similar saga, I never thought it was anything more than a possibility.

I'm sure we'll have a list of back-ups ready, and I'd be 100% certain another CM of some ilk is coming in before the deadline.

Regardless, I'm still happy with the window; we've signed 4 new first team players, and look to be moving on deadwood/players who will never get time this season. And if we can sign a 5th, it's going to be half the first team improved upon, which was something most of us thought was highly unlikely at the start of the summer.

From the press conference transcript it doesn't sound like Van Gaal has any intention of bringing in more players before Tuesday. He answered the transfer related questions by talking only about outgoings.

• Advertisement

Bild saying Kagawa having Dortmund medical tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if our only business is players leaving between here and Tuesday, how would people rate the transfer dealings this summer?

the di maria deal covers at of cracks at the moment, and i think Shaw, Herrera and Rojo is a big outlay which doesnt immediately solve many issues.

its been a strange few months. - am delighted that we signed Di Maria, but if you said this day last year that we would spend £193m in the next 12 months, youd have said we'd be winning the champions league in 2015.

looking at the squad now, its a poor return for that volume of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

From the press conference transcript it doesn't sound like Van Gaal has any intention of bringing in more players before Tuesday. He answered the transfer related questions by talking only about outgoings.
    “I don't know about transfers between now and Monday because I am not the one who can choose. I give my opinion and the player can do what he wants with that opinion. Of course I shall say which players I want and which are better to leave and Ed [Woodward] is doing the transfer market. I don't interfere in that process.”

thats not just talking about outgoings from what i take from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

This is my impression too. A lot must have changed in the 24 hours between di maria's presser yesterday and today. i.e. Vidal bid being rejected

I just cannot see or think or any other suitable midfielders that are available before Tuesday's deadline..that have not been touted in the press. Hopefully Ed has something up his sleeve.

I would hold judgement on that until I see how Shaw, Rojo and Herrera do over the season. I'm disappointed that there hasn't been another midfielder brought in, but I wouldn't be complaining about the outlay. A lot of players were needed this summer, we got four. One of them is potentially the best player at the club.

I'd have liked more, but there's an alternate universe where only Shaw was signed, and I'd sure prefer to be living in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

magnumbud wrote: »

Although it does worryingly sound like getting excuses in early. In a few weeks, LVG could be saying "was not me, was Ed's responsibility." God be with the days when a manager would have an active part in convincing players to come; having tea with the parents like in the old days, or more lately meeting with the player to bolster theior ego, convince them they'd be vital etc

• Advertisement

magnumbud wrote: »

The emphasis is yours though, if you take the full sentence:
    I shall say which players I want and which are better to leave

It suggests to me that he is talking about who he wants to keep from the existing squad.

its been a strange few months. - am delighted that we signed Di Maria, but if you said this day last year that we would spend £193m in the next 12 months, youd have said we'd be winning the champions league in 2015.

If Fergie was still going? £193m of extra investment? Yes, we'd be seriously hoping for Champions League.

There's a huge amount resting on Van Gaal getting the best out of our players. This is much more important than Di Maria or Herrera or any potential extra signings.

if our only business is players leaving between here and Tuesday, how would people rate the transfer dealings this summer?

the di maria deal covers at of cracks at the moment, and i think Shaw, Herrera and Rojo is a big outlay which doesnt immediately solve many issues.

If our business is done then the squad or even starting 11 doesnt reflect the investment put in. Two players could make it a fantastic window. One player could make it a very good window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He did what he needed to do which is downplay it. Therefore getting nobody's hopes up. Also I thought it was smart of him distancing himself from the process saying something along the lines off.. " I tell Woodward and leave it up to him, I don't interfere " He obviously has identified targets and we have had some difficulty getting some deals done or attracting the players we want / need

The reality we may be loosing Kagawa, Cleverley, Chicarito and possibly Welbeck before Monday. There surly has to be a plan B, C or D somewhere along the lines. If we continue as we are with with this squad as is now we are in serious trouble Di Maria or not. We have bad injuries too but we need CL football back need season that HAS to be achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

In fairness I had my freakout over Kroos, never believed Vidal was coming so meh

WHAT??? Vidal is not coming??
    Ah ffs....:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement