Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LVG really appears to be having a problem with the club over the injuries. he said we have 10 players missing,Rafael being one of them.
    he named 3 more smalling, shaw and Johnstone, before stopping and getting sidetracked

would assume the others are Herrera, Carrick, Fellaini, Lingaard and probably counts Rojo as unavailable as opposed to being injured.

that means one more player is out for tomorrow, cant figure out who though. eitherway, he seems really annoyed over either the medical facilties and/or the tour and requirements put on the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

that means one more player is out for tomorrow

Kagawa. He named him yesterday when talking about injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

The emphasis is yours though, if you take the full sentence:

It suggests to me that he is talking about who he wants to keep from the existing squad.

taking the complete sentence it sounds to me like i have said who i want to bring in and who i want to leave.

magnumbud wrote: »
    taking the complete sentence it sounds to me like i have said who i want to bring in and who i want to leave

I think that's wishful thinking, but I could be wrong. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Can someone please explain to me why we were not in for Fabregas? Would he have solved a lot of the central midfield problems? Or am I missing something obvious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Kagawa. He named him yesterday when talking about injuries.

He's still concussed or something.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He's still concussed or something.

Yeah, well he's probably fine but you're not meant to do anything strenuous for a while after concussion afaik. It's odd that he included him though if he's leaving.

I think that's wishful thinking, but I could be wrong. ;)

why would he go to woodward and give him a list of the players he wants to stay at the club? perhaps if he wants the contracts sorted sure but i think too much is being analysed he said yesterday there will be coming and goings which is why i read it as i have read it in a glass half full :D sort of way i can understand how its read the other way but dont think its true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

portcrap wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me why we were not in for Fabregas? Would he have solved a lot of the central midfield problems? Or am I missing something obvious?

Who knows? This is Manchester United where if you need a dishwasher you go out and buy a coffee machine?

• Advertisement

why would he go to woodward and give him a list of the players he wants to stay at the club? perhaps if he wants the contracts sorted sure but i think too much is being analysed he said yesterday there will be coming and goings which is why i read it as i have read it in a glass half full :D sort of way i can understand how its read the other way but dont think its true

For me it's just a language barrier thing. I suppose it would help to hear how he said it, but it sounds to me like "I've told Ed who can stay and who can go and I will leave it to him to work out the details".

Get the Fantasy teams changed, quick!

For me it's just a language barrier thing. I suppose it would help to hear how he said it, but it sounds to me like "I've told Ed who can stay and who can go and I will leave it to him to work out the details".

again i dont see why he would go and say who can stay. but i can see how you have read that lets agree to disagree we both likely hope im right and more signings are coming :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Get the Fantasy teams changed, quick!

???

Twitter blocked at work

again i dont see why he would go and say who can stay. but i can see how you have read that lets agree to disagree we both likely hope im right and more signings are coming :pac:

Because clubs might enquire about players! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Reedsie wrote: »
    Good drinking game for Van Gaal press conferences. Drink up every time he mentions his past successes.

Or the word philosophy :D

Down a Jager Bomb any time he mentions philosophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

if our only business is players leaving between here and Tuesday, how would people rate the transfer dealings this summer?

the di maria deal covers at of cracks at the moment, and i think Shaw, Herrera and Rojo is a big outlay which doesnt immediately solve many issues.

its been a strange few months. - am delighted that we signed Di Maria, but if you said this day last year that we would spend £193m in the next 12 months, youd have said we'd be winning the champions league in 2015.

looking at the squad now, its a poor return for that volume of cash.

I would be disappointed, a solid centre half and dm and we'd be alot healthier, too much to ask 14 weeks before Xmas ?

???

Twitter blocked at work

Just says Di Maria will debut against Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

so based on who we still expect to be at the club on Monday and if we DONT sign anyone.. what is our best 11 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Really think people are reading a lot more into this weeks press conference than its worth.

VG is way too cute to sit there and admit this player is going or that one is coming in. Not many PL managers would do that.

I doubt we were ever really in for Vidal, Carvalhio / Blind though seem to be consistent stories though coming from reliable sources. I’d say Blind may be holding on up and Sporting Lisbon the other but hopefully we’ll get something sorted by Sunday.

Kagawa appears to be gone, Chico likewise but where remains in doubt and TC23 might just decide to run down his contract. Wellbeck will stay I’d say.

If all that the next 3 days brings is Kagawa and Chico leaving and Blind coming in then it will be very deflating but if Carvalhio were to join him and TC23 and Wellbeck head outwards it would be a very satisfactory window. Won’t happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

???

Twitter blocked at work

Seems lvg might start Di maria

Because clubs might enquire about players! :P

lol but in that case ed gets a call "is x available" ed looks at players who can leave list to see if x is on that list or not ;)

The biggest question remaining before 11pm on Monday is.....will we hit 10,000 posts on the thread before it closes?

lol but in that case ed gets a call "is x available" ed looks at players who can leave list to see if x is on that list or not ;)

Ed: Chelsea have enquired about Welbeck.

Van Gaal: He can go, but not there.

Ed: Aston Villa have asked about Cleverley.

Van Gaal: He can go.

Ed: Crawley Town have enquired about Ashely Young.

Van Gaal: No, I need him. He stays.

*Later*

Van Gaal: I've told Ed who can stay and who can leave.

It doesn't matter anyway, as far as I'm concerned transfers in look finished. You're free to carry on tearing your hair out until Monday. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Coat22 wrote: »
    The biggest question remaining before 11pm on Monday is.....will we hit 10,000 posts on the thread before it closes?

If no one signs by 7ish i say we could be in full nuclear meltdown in here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There's a match tomorrow. This thread won't even make it to deadline day!

After we lose to Burnley you better believe we will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

God help us if Burnley beat us and we don't sign anybody else by Monday

Ed: Chelsea have enquired about Welbeck.

Van Gaal: He can go, but not there.

Ed: Aston Villa have asked about Cleverley.

Van Gaal: He can go.

Ed: Crawley Town have enquired about Ashely Young.

Van Gaal: No, I need him. He stays.

*Later*

Van Gaal: I've told Ed who can stay and who can leave.

It doesn't matter anyway, as far as I'm concerned transfers in look finished. You're free to carry on tearing your hair out until Monday. :P

i'm not tearing my hair out cause ed gave me faith with signing di maria :p also (and i'll likely start a 10 page discussion) i think the current squad with everyone fit can get 4th

i'm not tearing my hair out cause ed gave me faith with signing di maria :p also (and i'll likely start a 10 page discussion) i think the current squad with everyone fit can get 4th

I've given up making those kinds of predictions but I don't think it's impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Or the word philosophy :D

Down a Jager Bomb any time he mentions philosophy

Young pipe is a fan of jager bombs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I love this Quote from LVG
    “We are building up a new team and I hope we will succeed. I hope we are in the top four this season and then the next step is to be champions, then the winners of Champions League. But that takes time. I never doubt myself.”

He has a plan! 'hon the Iron Tulip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Blind and that's it is my guess. Ajax are going have us over a barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

starting 11 tomorrow....

de gea

Jones
    Evans
    Blackett

Valencia
    fletcher
    di maria
    young

Mata

Rooney
    van persie

we will be well into a new thread by Tuesday, i expect this one to close tomorrow evening.

we will be well into a new thread by Tuesday, i expect this one to close tomorrow evening.

It will when we sign De Jong overnight as our "Plan D"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Rafael is overlooked for Valencia again I might cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

portcrap wrote: »

Because Herrara was bought? Maybe we were in for him but he chose Chelsea.
    Fabregas isnt the type of player needed now since herrara was bought. Utd need a tough tackling defensive central midfielder.
    Cesc is more like a no.10, attack minded CM. A class player no doubt, but Utd need someone like Makelele/roy keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

bangkok wrote: »
    starting 11 tomorrow....

de gea

Jones
    Evans
    Blackett

Valencia
    fletcher
    di maria
    young

Mata

Rooney
    van persie

yuk

Would really like them to play Januzaj, One of Young/Valencia is bad enough without having to play both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

De Gea
    -- Rafael - Jones - Evans - Blackett
    Januzaj - Fletcher - Rooney - Di Maria
    V.Persie ---- Welbeck

IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Smiles when he sees 14 new pages in 3 hours.

Cries when he realises there is no signing being lauded in those pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

De Gea
    -- Rafael - Jones - Evans - Blackett
    Januzaj - Fletcher - Rooney - Di Maria
    V.Persie ---- Welbeck

IMO.

That's what it should be.

Liam O wrote: »
    If Rafael is overlooked for Valencia again I might cry.

rafael is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that Fabregas never sold his house in London while living in Barca. External factors, such as London being a better city for the disgustingly rich than Manchester, already having roots in the area etc, can play as big a part as the actual football side of things.

Chelsea are also in a far healthier place than us right now. People going on like it's baffling that we didn't sign him are deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I love this Quote from LVG

He has a plan! 'hon the Iron Tulip!
    For someone who is so cock sure of himself and his philosophy, he sure does do a lot of hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

PP have fun with us again.

10013973_10152666860834914_550372479127412535_n.jpg?oh=891cef2f5b250e5fb6c213ad56fc30fa&oe=547F47DD

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭crank_1975

Best 11 if no-one else signs:
    De Gea

Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw

Carrick

Herrera Di Maria

Mata

Rooney RvP
    Bit narrow but Di Maria offers width and Raf and Shaw will attack down the wings. More than capable of a top 4 finish. Injuries will kill us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

twam2008 wrote: »
    PP have fun with us again.

10013973_10152666860834914_550372479127412535_n.jpg?oh=891cef2f5b250e5fb6c213ad56fc30fa&oe=547F47DD

Hmm.
    Mathew 4:12 , And before thy take the piss from thy highest revenue generating club in world football, and before thy make jest of thy chief executive who is making said club money hand over fist, take heed, in that thy profits do not shrink by 20%.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hmm.

Hmmm, we make our money from sports betting. The most popular sport is soccer. The most popular soccer club is Man United. Who should we take the piss out of?

Why are our profits shrinking?

Business fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ed Woodward just had a quick chat with some journalists after the press conference, looking for updates on the Tom Cleverly bidding war.
    We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

*Take note PP, this is satire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement