Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Our central midfielders for tomorrow's game are coming from.... Anderson and fletcher.

Wouldn't be surprised to see DiMaria start there (LVG refered to him as a midfielder). And Cleverly isn't gone yet either. Also wouldn't be shocked to see Rooney dropped back there either; he might provide more impact in central midfield than up front, for all the good he's doing up there right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see DiMaria start there (LVG refered to him as a midfielder). And Cleverly isn't gone yet either. Also wouldn't be shocked to see Rooney dropped back there either; he might provide more impact in central midfield than up front, for all the good he's doing up there right now.

You say that like he has messed up the multiple chances he has got. Lad aint gettin and proper supply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

How bad is Esteban Cambiasso these days?

I would have thought would be ideal for us as a stop gap measure at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

racso1975 wrote: »
    You say that like he has messed up the multiple chances he has got. Lad aint gettin and proper supply

We need him in the middle of the park, he might not want to, but he needs to do it for the team, enough **** in the middle of the team, sort it out Wazza!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

twam2008 wrote: »
    We need him in the middle of the park, he might not want to, but he needs to do it for the team, enough **** in the middle of the team, sort it out Wazza!

I understand the justification of putting him in mid but not because he is doing f all up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

Interesting you mention there being no fight in them. This is something that has played on my mind with this squad. Are they fighters? Are they tough enough? I don't think they are. Chico, wellbeck, de gae, mata, cleverley, Evans, carrick. Etc. they don't strike me as being tough. On the contrary. Take away Fellaini, Valencia, Rooney, rvp and rafeal and there aren't many you would consider able to stand up to a physical team of men.

Think back to 08. VDS, rio, vidic, evra, scholes, giggs, Neville, tevez, Rooney, ronaldo, brown, o'shea. Well able to handle themselves.

Think back to 99. Big peter, Stam, Neville, Irwin, Keane, scholes, sheringham, cole, beckham. Well able to handle themselves

Think back to 94. Big peter, ince, pallister, Bruce, Irwin, Keane, cantona, mcClair, Hughes. They were able to go to highbury or selhurst park and hold their own.

I wouldn't mind if we signed Vlaar and DeJong.

Edit: I'll add to that. Look at the current city and Chelsea teams. Do they strike you as groups that could be bullied by any opposition. No way.

Edit: some have been questioning the signing of Rojo. I'll say one thing for him, there won't be many pushing that lad around. Hard as nails!

I think the morale was ****e. The players who have under performed so far this season are capable of a lot better then what they have produced. It has just been a continuation from last season whereby a lot of the players need a good kick in the hole. In saying that the likes of Cleverly, young, Valencia, Hernandez, Wellbeck (who is a decent honest pro) and even Fletcher are and never were United quality. If they were with the likes of Barca, Madrid and Bayern they would not have got a sniff near the 1st team. The quicker they are shown the door (and I do hope if they are do well wherever they go) the better for all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Zico wrote: »
    How bad is Esteban Cambiasso these days?

I would have thought would be ideal for us as a stop gap measure at least.

no just no. di maria will more than likely play midfield tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

racso1975 wrote: »

He's used the captaincy to take over the set pieces and hasn't hit the target yet.

That's messing up multiple chances, especially when Mata has been our best free taker since Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Be very surprised if Di Maria plays in a midfield two tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    First your Adnan bashing, and now this? Liam...

Wd3uM77

You need people like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

All quiet on the horizon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Over a half hour since the last post. Thread running out of steam. The inevitable calm before the storm, I think deadline day is gonna be a day of infamy in the clubs history! Bit disappointed that Vidal seems to be staying at Juventus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Big question is lads DM7 or no DM7...

2a0kp02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'll get it going again.

United had two main priorities when LVG arrived at the club - a commanding centre back and a commanding centre mid. We have failed to sign either.

Other needs:

Left back - sorted.
    Rotation centre back - sorted.
    backup right back - none.
    rotation centre mid - nope.
    Attacking midfield player - sorted awesomely.

Without signing a top CM and a top CB, we. are. fuked. We just don't have a proper spine to the side, and it will cost us the CL again - and I honestly can't believe those in charge at United have allowed this to happen. You could see LVG distancing himself from the crap that is going to come today, the transfers are Ed's job, as he said, and Ed is failing - and it is going to cost us.

I honestly didn't think United would fade away following Fergie leaving, but I honestly could not have foreseen the inept way the club would be ran over the last year, it beggars belief that 'the biggest club in the world' could be so amateurish in its transfer dealings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I'll get it going again.

United had two main priorities when LVG arrived at the club - a commanding centre back and a commanding centre mid. We have failed to sign either.

Other needs:

Left back - sorted.
    Rotation centre back - sorted.
    backup right back - none.
    rotation centre mid - nope.
    Attacking midfield player - sorted awesomely.

Without signing a top CM and a top CB, we. are. fuked. We just don't have a proper spine to the side, and it will cost us the CL again - and I honestly can't believe those in charge at United have allowed this to happen. You could see LVG distancing himself from the crap that is going to come today, the transfers are Ed's job, as he said, and Ed is failing - and it is going to cost us.

I honestly didn't think United would fade away following Fergie leaving, but I honestly could not have foreseen the inept way the club would be ran over the last year, it beggars belief that 'the biggest club in the world' could be so amateurish in its transfer dealings.

We may not have signed a "rotation" CM but Ander Herrera will be a very good signing I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Agree about the spine of the team. Always felt that it was of utmost importance in any football team at almost any level.
    Top GK, a commanding brute of a
    Centre half, a strong vocal midfielder, and a solid striker who will take the chances when they come his way.

With a strong spine, you can get away with some weaknesses in other areas.

Vlaar is a no brained for me. Should have went out and gotten him a few weeks ago.
    As for the midfielder, it's very difficult to find such a player. But De Jong could have done a job. And carvalho really did fit the bill. Cannot figure out why they didn't go for him. The only explanation is they are waiting for strootman. Big mistake, he won't be available in January and by then it would be too late anyway to salvage this season.

Poor from the club. Very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'll wait until the window closes before giving my thoughts as I do expect further movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

If we win 7-0 tomorrow I'll smash my Moysie mug! gfDLw4H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Kroos to Real £25m
    Fabregas to Chelsea £32m
    Rakitic to Barca £20m
    Cleverly to Villa £8m ?

And thus far no defensive midfield signing for Utd. Something is seriously wrong here.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    We may not have signed a "rotation" CM but Ander Herrera will be a very good signing I feel.

I agree - I think Herrera will be quality. However, given we look to be selling Cleverley, Fletcher doesn't look up to it and Fellaini is injured while we also want shot of him and Anderson isn't worth mentioning - even if we signed a top combative CM, we would still lack an option off the bench or when we need to rest someone. Someone like Blind, imo, would have been a great addition to the squad this week along with someone like Vidal or Carvalho.

Would have given us a first choice midfield 3 (imo) of Di Maria and Herrera as shuttling midfielders either side of Carvalho/Vidal/De Jong, with Carrick and Blind as the first backups off the bench - Fletcher and Fellaini if required. Would have been a decent set.

We now have, possibly, Di Maria and Herrera either side of Carrick with Fletcher and Fellaini first choices off the bench, that is fuking rubbish backup, imo. Not fit for purpose, and a disgrace we are going into another season with a poor midfield group/backup.

If Carrick, Herrera and Di Maria remain fit and able to play 90 mins of every game, we could be grand - IF carrick improves a crap load over last season, but that (the fitness) isn't going to happen and Carrick is weeks away from making a proper return as it is.

It is a fecking mess, but people in here would have you believe it'll be fine and and we can get by, in a CL place, til January when somehow we will just sign Strootman.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    I'll wait until the window closes before giving my thoughts as I do expect further movement.

The sensible approach. :) the right approach.

I'm still hopeful they will pull a rabbit out of the hat before Monday night.

kryogen wrote: »

I did expect further movement, but I'd be surprised now. Noises out of OT aren't good.

I did expect further movement, but I'd be surprised now. Noises out of OT aren't good.
    What noises? ... what you hearing?... the last time I heard LVG he said people should be leaving and coming in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If I'm being honest, I think we will miss out on top 4 now even if we get Blind

3 months time the players will have been run through the philosophy a thousand times but then they have to be good enough to fulfil it at that point and looking at the players we have in midfield and defence I don't think it's looking good.

I will be thrilled if I'm proven wrong and people quote this post as the punchline to a joke at the end of the season

irishfeen wrote: »
    What noises? ... what you hearing?... the last time I heard LVG he said people should be leaving and coming in..

Yeah, what i've heard isn't as public as that. I hope he is truthful and proven right. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Given how the summer has gone in relation to the noises coming from Old Trafford I don't know if I would be too concerned to be honest. It is extremely unlikely that the club would be listening to offers/accepting bids for Cleverley/Kagawa etc if there was nothing in the pipeline you would have to accept?

It seems the media are not being fully briefed this window so I am trying to remain as patient and calm as possible whatever the rumour.

If I'm being honest, I think we will miss out on top 4 now even if we get Blind

3 months time the players will have been run through the philosophy a thousand times but then they have to be good enough to fulfil it at that point and looking at the players we have in midfield and defence I don't think it's looking good.

I will be thrilled if I'm proven wrong and people quote this post as the punchline to a joke at the end of the season
    at the end of the day - I just don't see Fellaini, Fletcher or Anderson being physically or technically capable of the job required in midfield.

If we continue with a two man central midfield; I don't see Carrick as being capable of dominating defensively as we would need him to - and we will just get run over.

We need better players.

Lars bender would have been a good option. Sniederlin, gustavo, hector Herrera, de Jong, Khedira, alonso, sissoko, medel.

Some might not be world famous names, but all would have been good signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

How foolish Fergie looks now that he let Pogba slip away. One of his major mistakes unfortunately.

How foolish Fergie looks now that he let Pogba slip away. One of his major mistakes unfortunately.

Fergie made many, MANY mistakes in his last few years that we are paying for dearly now.

• Advertisement

Yeah, what i've heard isn't as public as that. I hope he is truthful and proven right. Fingers crossed.
    No disrespect Mitch but I find it hard to believe you have any serious inside info ... The club have been in lockdown this summer, watertight. Most if not all good journalists in England are only guessing what United are doing even at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lars bender would have been a good option. Sniederlin, gustavo, hector Herrera, de Jong, Khedira, alonso, sissoko, medel.

Some might not be world famous names, but all would have been good signings.

Any time I've seen Hector Herrera I've been so impressed. Hes like a CM version of Di Maria.

Give them time to bed in and time to get to know each other, a midfield trio of Hector, Ander and Angel would tear shít up. So much energy, dribbling and passing ability between those three.

Didn't LVG say during the summer that he wanted a 23 man squad for this season. How do we stand with that at this point?

TheTownie wrote: »
    Any time I've seen Hector Herrera I've been so impressed. Hes like a CM version of Di Maria.

Give them time to bed in and time to get to know each other, a midfield trio of Hector, Ander and Angel would tear shít up. So much energy, dribbling and passing ability between those three.

Totally agree. Was never anything but impressed by him. Not a fashionable choice but one that would have worked very well.
    A lot of energy in that midfield three. Busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Didn't LVG say during the summer that he wanted a 23 man squad for this season. How do we stand with that at this point?

If we sell all the senior players being talked about we would likely be 18-20. I'm not including Blackett and Wilson in that

irishfeen wrote: »
    No disrespect Mitch but I find it hard to believe you have any serious inside info ... The club have been in lockdown this summer, watertight. Most if not all good journalists in England are only guessing what United are doing even at this stage.

I have no contacts at the club, nope. none. I admit to that. There are people I chat to online that do get some info - such as the Di Maria fee being agreed hours before it was announced, the young dutch kid we are signing, a month ago. Moyes getting sacked days before it was official. Giggs becoming stand in manager days before it was announced. Shaw deal moving along. Chambers to Arsenal before it was officially reported (one fella has good southampton contacts, and Spurs). They don't get everything right, and some stuff gets past them - but I, personally, trust them when they share their info.

So no, I don't have any serious ( inside info myself - but I find it poor to think no one does, and I do go out of my way to try and find such information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Was it Daniel taylor ( I might be wrong) said earlier that vidal and carvalho were not happening, alot of people here took it as fact, I can understand vidal but how reliable is Daniel taylor ( again I might be mentioning the wrong person) I mean it seems that the English media this season are left in the dark and any leeks are coming from the country the player is leaving from. Who knows what we are doing

Hococop wrote: »
    Was it Daniel taylor ( I might be wrong) said earlier that vidal and carvalho were not happening, alot of people here took it as fact, I can understand vidal but how reliable is Daniel taylor ( again I might be mentioning the wrong person) I mean it seems that the English media this season are left in the dark and any leeks are coming from the country the player is leaving from. Who knows what we are doing

Daniel Taylor was the first to break that. But there's been a couple more who have claimed it came from their own source.
    They have been contacted by the club. No doubt about it.

Could be a ploy to get other clubs to move their arses. I'm thinking about the carvalho deal in particular.

Hococop wrote: »

Taylor is Woodward's go to journo.

So, there are two ways of taking it.

1. Taylor's info is United aren't in for either at this point.
    2. Woodward has told Taylor United aren't in for either at this point and this is what taylor has relayed.

In the case of no.2 - again you would want to be cautious, as United have briefed ALL summer that we were not interested in Vidal and at this stage there isn't a journo that would say that is true.

My personal opinion at this point is that Vidal was a serious target but for any number of reasons the deal is now dead in the water, and that is why United are saying they aren't interested in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

There seems to be a lot of negativity here re more signings. I was sure there would be more since what LVG said yesterday, is there news to suggest there won't be more??

Kagawa wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of negativity here re more signings. I was sure there would be more since what LVG said yesterday, is there news to suggest there won't be more??

For me his comment today about it being woodwards job to get transfers done is (a) true and (b) distancing himself from the media storm that is going to kick up in two days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Taylor, as others, just mentioned what United told them. Meanwhile the media outlet Taylor works for are writing, via Jackson that Vidal and Carvalho are on Van Gaals list.

The good news is that in a few days we can ignore them completely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There are 35 players at the moment, 7 of whom don't need to be registered, leaving 28. The ones who must be registered are in bold, at least 3 of them will have to leave. (Unless I have f*cked up somewhere)

1. De Gea
    2. Lindegaard
    3. Amos
    4. Johnstone
    5. Rafael
    6. Shaw
    7. Jones
    8. Smalling
    9. Blackett
    10. Rojo
    11. Evans
    12. Vermijl

13. Michael Keane
    14. Varela
    15. Di Maria
    16. Mata

17. Januzaj
    18. Carrick
    19. Young
    20. Herrera

21. Powell
    22. Cleverley
    23. Fletcher
    24. Valencia
    25. Kagawa
    26. Fellaini
    27. Anderson

28. Lingard
    29. Rooney
    30. Hernandez
    31. Welbeck
    32. RVP

33. Lawrence
    34. Will Keane
    35. Wilson

I still think we'll get one or two in before Monday night - if we were to lose points at Burnley tomorrow United fans will explode with the lack of signings and could send panic buying into overdrive.

There are 35 players at the moment, 7 of whom don't need to be registered, leaving 28. The ones who must be registered are in bold, at least 3 of them will have to leave. (Unless I have f*cked up somewhere)

1. De Gea
    2. Lindegaard
    3. Amos
    4. Johnstone
    5. Rafael
    6. Shaw
    7. Jones
    8. Smalling
    9. Blackett
    10. Rojo
    11. Evans
    12. Vermijl

13. Michael Keane
    14. Varela
    15. Di Maria
    16. Mata

17. Januzaj
    18. Carrick
    19. Young
    20. Herrera

21. Powell
    22. Cleverley
    23. Fletcher
    24. Valencia
    25. Kagawa
    26. Fellaini
    27. Anderson

28. Lingard
    29. Rooney
    30. Hernandez
    31. Welbeck
    32. RVP

33. Lawrence
    34. Will Keane
    35. Wilson

Ok. I can count bang on 23 that will remain and be in the squad.

Worried now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ok. I can count bang on 23 that will remain and be in the squad.

Worried now :)

Who are you kicking out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Vermijl, Will Keane and Varela won't feature.

Cleverley, Kagawa and Hernandez appear to be off. Lindegaard or and Amos won't stay either.

Anderson should be off.

Plenty of room in the squad list.

1. De Gea
    2. Lindegaard
    3. Amos
    5. Rafael
    6. Shaw
    7. Jones
    8. Smalling
    9. Blackett
    10. Rojo
    11. Evans
    15. Di Maria
    16. Mata

17. Januzaj
    18. Carrick
    19. Young
    20. Herrera

23. Fletcher
    24. Valencia
    26. Fellaini
    28. Lingard
    29. Rooney
    31. Welbeck
    32. RVP
    35. Wilson[/quote]

24. But lingard and Wilson might go on loan. Fellaini might go out on loan at some point - unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think we will sign someone before deadline I just think it won't be a player we will be overly excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well it's a little more complicated than that. If you cant fill 8 homegrown spots, 4 trained at your own club and another 4 from any club in England, you have to leave blanks so sometimes you have less than 25, which is what's happening at Chelsea.

Fletcher, Welbeck, Cleverley, Evans, Rafael and Amos are trained at club.
    Rooney, Smalling, Young and Carrick are all trained in England.

So United have absolutely no problem fulfilling that quota assuming Cleverley is the only one to leave so there will be a full 25 man squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement