Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Vermijl, Will Keane and Varela won't feature.

Cleverley, Kagawa and Hernandez appear to be off. Lindegaard or and Amos won't stay either.

Anderson should be off.

Plenty off room in the squad list.

I was thinking Vermijl and Keane too, as well as Lindegaard (because he's the oldest and who wants 4 goalkeepers?) Not much time left for all of Cleverley, Kagawa and Hernandez to leave, but I guess it could happen quickly.

But surely one of Anderson or Cleverley has to be kept for numbers in midfield? Unless a CM comes in.

Kirby wrote: »
    Well it's a little more complicated than that. If you cant fill 8 homegrown spots, 4 trained at your own club and another 4 from any club in England, you have to leave blanks so sometimes you have less than 25, which is what's happening at Chelsea.

Fletcher, Welbeck, Cleverley, Evans, Rafael and Amos are trained at club.
    Rooney, Smalling, Young and Carrick are all trained in England.

So United have absolutely no problem fulfilling that quota assuming Cleverley is the only one to leave so there will be a full 25 man squad.

You don't have to have any English players in the PL. You need 8 'homegrown' but that just means they have to have trained in England or Wales for 3 years before their 21s birthday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think we will sign someone before deadline I just think it won't be a player we will be overly excited about.

Good :)

We don't need anymore exciting players in this window. Need a couple of wise heads that can help organise or protect the defence and get the ball moving from deep IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You don't have to have any English players in the PL. You need 8 'homegrown' but that just means they have to have trained in England or Wales for 3 years before their 21s birthday.

Er, I know that? Which is exactly what I said?! :confused: I was fairly clear in my explanation which was 100% accurate.

If you could point out the part where I said a player has to be English I'd appreciate it............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think we will sign someone before deadline I just think it won't be a player we will be overly excited about.

https://twitter.com/UtdReport/statuses/505458240646565888

I was thinking Vermijl and Keane too, as well as Lindegaard (because he's the oldest and who wants 4 goalkeepers?) Not much time left for all of Cleverley, Kagawa and Hernandez to leave, but I guess it could happen quickly.

But surely one of Anderson or Cleverley has to be kept for numbers in midfield? Unless a CM comes in.

You and I would think so. Louis might not though!

Kirby wrote: »
    Er, I know that? Which is exactly what I said?! :confused: I was fairly clear in my explanation which was 100% accurate.

If you could point out the part where I said a player has to be English I'd appreciate it............

Woooooahhh there, chill out a touch. I misread it.

Although I'm pretty sure this is still wrong, none of them need to have trained at the club, just at any club affiliate with the English or Welsh FA:
    If you cant fill 8 homegrown spots, 4 trained at your own club and another 4 from any club in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The 4+4 rule is a UEFA one. It applies for Europa League and Champions League so big clubs in the top 4 have to adhere to it meaning their squads are structured around it.

Now obviously United aren't in it this season but assuming they qualify again, United need 4 academy players. It's one of the reasons why keeping Welbeck and selling Hernandez is the smarter option. With Cleverley going, selling two homegrown players in the same window would be bad planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Unfortunately I don't were going to get everything we need done in one window. Might have to hold on till January and even next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

fitze69 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't were going to get everything we need done in one window. Might have to hold on till January and even next summer.

i agree - we could never do it all in one window, but for me a commanding CM and a commanding CB were priorities, and we have got neither - and without either we won't make the CL again. missing the CL again would be utterly disastrous, imo - a failure the club would struggle to recover from any time soon.

This season is the most important season I will have lived through, imo, and we have started it on the back foot; and haven't done anything to address two of the biggest problems (as I see them)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You must be so hard to please in bed Mitch.

You must be so hard to please in bed Mitch.

nope - depressingly easy to please at this point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mitch is telling the truth in lot of ways.

People just don't want to hear it.

Yes some of what he says may be OTT, but he has got lot spot on now and still is coming down for criticism.

Mitch is telling the truth in lot of ways.

People just don't want to hear it.

Yes some of what he says may be OTT, but he has got lot spot on now and still is coming down for criticism.
    maybe, just maybe, if i said it less....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Mirror tomorrow saying we are ready to go 20m on blind.

I don't care about the money, and I do think he would be a good signing.

Wouldn't be so bad when Herrera, carrick and Fellaini are fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

instead of the ice bucket challenge you should do a "next 30 posts will be positive" challenge on here.

I'll donate no problem, name your charity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

maybe, just maybe, if i said it less....:o

Its the histrionics I suppose, the delivery rather then the message :)

Haha. Are you a girl? Could hve sworn I saw you saying you were a girl last year?

Trilla wrote: »
    instead of the ice bucket challenge you should do a "next 30 posts will be positive" challenge on here.

I'll donate no problem, name your charity!

damn.... that would be tough. very tough! United aren't giving me much to work with!

Blind would be a good signing, imo, but if he is the only signing he simply isn't enough. We need a Vidal, or a defensive ass kicker in midfield to give Herrera/Di Maria some freedom to attack.

• Advertisement

What if Van Gaal sees Herrera as his number 6 (I would say 4 but he has three centre backs)

A player to go and get the ball from defence and move it on to Mata and Di Maria.

Bielsa tried him in that deep role.

Perhaps Van Gaal thinks United shouldn't need a destroyer if they have three centre halves. More a need for an architect.

Ogden saying LVG wants to move for strootman now.
    Risky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Risky

Very risky if true and that's a big if

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My fingers are in bits. Currently on chapter 8 "I Saw the signs,I opened up my eyes I saw the sign - The Story of Mitch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Haha. Are you a girl? Could hve sworn I saw you saying you were a girl last year?

Thats Frisbee you are thinking of

Hococop wrote: »

VERY risky. I wouldn't have thought we would touch him until next summer.

Mind you, if fit he is the answer to our main problem.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    What if Van Gaal sees Herrera as his number 6 (I would say 4 but he has three centre backs)

A player to go and get the ball from defence and move it on to Mata and Di Maria.

Bielsa tried him in that deep role.

Perhaps Van Gaal thinks United shouldn't need a destroyer if they have three centre halves. More a need for an architect.
    having sopunked 60million on Di maria I dont see how we stick with the 343 formation long term. You can't play him LWB, would be wasted/poor in a midfield two. Maybe he will drop Mata for him and play him AMC but i don't see him there and he isn't a forward.

I figure we have to be moving toward 433 eventually - with Di Maria in the left/centre midfield role or on the wing. Based on the current squad I would say:

De Gea
    Rafael--Jones--Evans--Shaw
    -Herrera---Carrick--Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney---RVP

or

De Gea
    Carrick
    Herrera-Fletcher
    Januzaj
    Di Maria
    RVP/Rooney

In the first formation we need to replace Carrick, imo. In the second formatio we need to replace Carrick and Fletcher. Not having bought at least 1 CM for those two spots is a disgrace imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Risky

The two best midfielders we could sign, both have knee problems.

The world is certainly getting us back for all the success in the past.

I'd see Strootman as a bigger injury risk than Vidal.

TheDoc wrote: »
    My fingers are in bits. Currently on chapter 8 "I Saw the signs,I opened up my eyes I saw the sign - The Story of Mitch"

You know boards has a character limit, yeah?:pac::D

KevIRL wrote: »
    Thats Frisbee you are thinking of

Trick question. There are no girls on the internet

• Advertisement

I'd see Strootman as a bigger injury risk than Vidal.

Yes and no.
    Strootmans injury was worse , but he has had a perfect recovery thus far.
    Vidal injury not so bad but has played before properly recovering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Risky

Could've bought him last year for €17 million.

Buy him now and he'll probably cost €25+ million and he's coming back from a serious knee injury.

This club....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Is Vidal even an injury risk or is this something ye have convinced yourselves as the reason for not signing him

i also don't see it being possible to do business with Roma for him this late in the window - especially after they got the money they wanted this summer in the Benatia sale.

Probably just another to the 'oh but we tried' list Woodward will brief on september 2nd.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Could've bought him last year for €17 million.

Buy him now and he'll probably cost €25+ million and he's coming back from a serious knee injury.

This club....

Herrera and strootman. Both 24. Imagine how good they would be after three years together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Is Vidal even an injury risk or is this something ye have convinced yourselves as the reason for not signing him

Time will tell if Vidal is back to his best but right now I think its a cop out by anyone who puts it forward as a reason not to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

nah he just tore his miniscus for the laugh

Hasn't played a full 90 minutes since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Hasn't played a full 90 minutes since March.

FYI, Vidal is starting tomorrow against Cheivo at 5pm for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

yeh he obviously rushed back for the world cup but to be honest that type of injury is just a pretty routine as they come knee injury it is not as if he tore his ACL

• Advertisement

Hey, I think we should go for him. Go all in. Love the guy! Genuine man love

And I just read a tweet about him. New offer going in. I'm not believing it. Not getting drawn in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Please let it happen

Strootmon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Risky

if we signed Strootman, then we could have our reason why we never bid for Fabregas, Vidal or Kroos.

it would sum up the fine mess the club has gotten itself into this summer.

if we signed Strootman, then we could have our reason why we never bid for Fabregas, Vidal or Kroos.

it would sum up the fine mess the club has gotten itself into this summer.

Thing is: it would no longer be a mess after a month or two.
    LVG constantly refers to himself as a long term coach. He will be playing the long game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Liverpool getting rid of Agger for 3m. Definitely won't be a popular opinion but I'd love United to take a punt on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

yeh he obviously rushed back for the world cup but to be honest that type of injury is just a pretty routine as they come knee injury it is not as if he tore his ACL

I wouldn't exactly say it's routine. Obviously with the advancement of surgery from open knee to arthoscopy, the healing and return time has been drastically reduced but it's still taking part of his meniscus from his knee. Even very small meniscectomies alter the loading patterns of the knee which can leave to other problems which may not be directly associated with the knee. That's on top of further knee problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hey, I think we should go for him. Go all in. Love the guy! Genuine man love

And I just read a tweet about him. New offer going in. I'm not believing it. Not getting drawn in again.

Vidal or strootman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Thing is: it would no longer be a mess after a month or two.
    LVG constantly refers to himself as a long term coach. He will be playing the long game.

It would be the definition of panic buy. Being so worried about your midfield that you're willing to throw money and bet on a player being in half decent shape in a few months.

having sopunked 60million on Di maria I dont see how we stick with the 343 formation long term. You can't play him LWB, would be wasted/poor in a midfield two. Maybe he will drop Mata for him and play him AMC but i don't see him there and he isn't a forward.

I figure we have to be moving toward 433 eventually - with Di Maria in the left/centre midfield role or on the wing. Based on the current squad I would say:

De Gea
    -Herrera---Carrick--Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney---RVP

or

De Gea
    Carrick
    Herrera-Fletcher
    Januzaj
    Di Maria
    RVP/Rooney

In the first formation we need to replace Carrick, imo. In the second formatio we need to replace Carrick and Fletcher. Not having bought at least 1 CM for those two spots is a disgrace imo.

So thats a no to Herrera as Van Gaals no 6 then?

I still think its a possibility myself, more likely next season when he gets his Strootman type player.

I think Van Gaal will stick with the 3 at the back for now while so many midfield players are out and he appears to not trust Cleverley. Long term I also expect the 4-3-3 and with how he sets up a side its only a small change to that formation.

• Advertisement

Vidal or strootman?

Vidal. It's BS. Forget I posted it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement