Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Louis seems to love a left footer.

Hopefully Blind is confirmed tomorrow and after we lose to Burnley we finally get a centre half. Or maybe we revert to a back 4 and the 4 centre halves we have already will be trusted to do the business for us. Carrick may even end up as part of the back line again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

TC23 interview,
    "I watch Spanish football a lot. If they pass the ball sideways but keep possession, the fans clap them,"
    Yeah he'd get a standing ovation then he seems to like passing sideways or backwards, not much progression made there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

GSPfan wrote: »
    Louis seems to love a left footer.

Hopefully Blind is confirmed tomorrow and after we lose to Burnley we finally get a centre half. Or maybe we revert to a back 4 and the 4 centre halves we have already will be trusted to do the business for us. Carrick may even end up as part of the back line again this year.

We ain't losing to burnley. We win tomorrow.

Night folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

We ain't losing to burnley. We win tomorrow.

Night folks

I'm not holding my breath. And a loss may bring about more urgency for Mondays deadline so even if we do lose or draw I will stay positive that it will improve us long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

My source tells me we've agreed a fee for Blind.

Now my source doesn't always get things right nor does he always get any news not available on Sky Sports but by default that has to mean he does get some stuff right from time to time, especially the generic kinda stuff that the dogs on the street definitely wouldn't know. I better stop now as I think I may have said too much already...I don't wanna reveal my non-public source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Is Blind all but confirmed lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

De Telegraf reported it and the Mail picked up on it. So I reckon it'll be announced within the next day or so. Probably pick up pace tomorrow after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Cleverley sold for £8m.

Blind bought for £14m.

I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

his best performances in the WC came on the left of defence. playing as a DM, he was very poor.

not sure why people keep calling him a midfielder, when his best position is LWB or LB.

Probably cause he won the Dutch player of the year playing in midfield last season?

Nothing about it on ssn at 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Still only the mail actually reporting it, everyone else is reporting based on their story. We'll see. I'd be happy with us signing blind, but STILL feel we'd be short in midfield. Herrera, Carrick and Blind would be the only 3 of trustable use, and that's assuming Carrick can regain some form. Fellaini, Anderson and fletcher not good enough, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Still only the mail actually reporting it, everyone else is reporting based on their story. We'll see. I'd be happy with us signing blind, but STILL feel we'd be short in midfield. Herrera, Carrick and Blind would be the only 3 of trustable use, and that's assuming Carrick can regain some form. Fellaini, Anderson and fletcher not good enough, IMO.

Di Maria is going to play midfield along with Herrera with Blind/Carrick the defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »
    Di Maria is going to play midfield along with Herrera with Blind/Carrick the defensive midfielder.

So you pick 3 of them, and the remaining one is the only CM in the squad with any quality. Doesn't bode well for coping with in juries or suspensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Feel so bad for kagawa a genuis wasted at a club with no ambition

Fergie was going to make him the focal point of his side.

If only he had stayed one more year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So you pick 3 of them, and the remaining one is the only CM in the squad with any quality. Doesn't bode well for coping with in juries or suspensions.

It doesn't, we can hope and that is all we can do is that Rooney is prepared to step into midfield if required.
    He will need to be more versatile for us to achieve the goal of 4th in the league.

Maybe we get a surprise and another midfielder plus Blind is signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

RobertKK wrote: »
    It doesn't, we can hope and that is all we can do is that Rooney is prepared to step into midfield if required.
    He will need to be more versatile for us to achieve the goal of 4th in the league.

Maybe we get a surprise and another midfielder plus Blind is signed.

Rooney shouldv been told to play in midfield yonks ago.

• Advertisement

dor843088 wrote: »
    Rooney shouldv been told to play in midfield yonks ago.

He doesn't want to play there, he isn't at his best there, he is not a defensive midfielder.

Instead of shoehorning maybe we could just go out and actually buy the midfield players we need!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Happy to hear about Blind. If true, we've bought 3 new midfielders this summer in him, DiMaria and Herrera. Could be looking at...
    De Gea
    Raf - Jones - Rojo - Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera
    DiMaria
    Mata
    Rooney ---- RVP

Blind, as a DM, can basically move back and forth to create the 3 man defence and let the wingbacks push up as needed to keep the 3 at the back, and when defending, he can move forward to let a back 4 form.
    With those 3 midfielders thrown in, we're significantly stronger than last year. Blind may not be the biggest name, but he's going to be a solid bit of business for the price being touted.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Happy to hear about Blind. If true, we've bought 3 new midfielders this summer in him, DiMaria and Herrera. Could be looking at...
    De Gea
    Raf - Jones - Rojo - Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera
    DiMaria
    Mata
    Rooney ---- RVP

Blind, as a DM, can basically move back and forth to create the 3 man defence and let the wingbacks push up as needed to keep the 3 at the back, and when defending, he can move forward to let a back 4 form.
    With those 3 midfielders thrown in, we're significantly stronger than last year. Blind may not be the biggest name, but he's going to be a solid bit of business for the price being touted.

Agreed, hoping this deal is getting done but concerned that Sky have not even mentioned it yet this morning, it may have just been some Daily Fail bull****

kryogen wrote: »
    He doesn't want to play there, he isn't at his best there, he is not a defensive midfielder.

Instead of shoehorning maybe we could just go out and actually buy the midfield players we need!

I completely agree with you , but considering he just got captaincy he should put his shoulder to the wheel and play where hes told/needed. Wouldv put a decent player capable of the position where we were in desperate need. Temporary but effective solution imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Done deal lads. BBC reported it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

BBC Sport @BBCSport · 7m
    Manchester United have agreed a fee with Ajax for versatile Netherlands international Daley Blind. #MUFC #NED

BBC reporting it and Telegraph too. It's a done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

EDIT: Nvm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

oI6d88Y.gif

Fúck the naysayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Cleverley out
    Blind in.

Nobody should complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

tumblr_kwczs7mfLH1qaro0lo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The Sun also claims Manchester United may not ever be able to play new signing Marcos Rojo due to issues with third-party ownership still not being resolved. The Argentine has also yet to have his work permit approved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Happy enough with Blind. Not going to set the world alight but a solid signing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Happy with Blind as well,

Now lets get a win today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Sorry to be negative, but I'm seriously underwhelmed by United's purchases. We're now the biggest spenders in the world, yet we still haven't addressed the fundamental weaknesses in the squad. It'd be laughable if it wasn't so serious.

We need a dominant senior centre half and a dominant midfielder, and haven't signed either. Delinquent transfer policy from United (as usual).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Sorry to be negative, but I'm seriously underwhelmed by United's purchases. We're now the biggest spenders in the world, yet we still haven't addressed the fundamental weaknesses in the squad. It'd be laughable if it wasn't so serious.

We need a dominant senior centre half and a dominant midfielder, and haven't signed either. Delinquent transfer policy from United (as usual).

Not to mention buying 3 left backs one of which isnt match fit and another who doesnt have a work permit. Very meh summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

A midfield 3 of Herrera, Di Maria, and Blind is a massive upgrade on what we had and not bad for a team with no Champs League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ah stop will you. LVG has had one window so far to address problems left by two managers. After next Summers window we can judge how we are shaping up then.
    Current squad us well up for top 4 given the lack of fixture congestion this season. Things are going nicely imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Reporting on sky now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Herrera,shaw,rojo,dimaria,blind and maybe one more.....

I woulda bit your hand off if i was offered that before the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

chupacabra wrote: »
    Not to mention buying 3 left backs one of which isnt match fit and another who doesnt have a work permit. Very meh summer.

Hmmm. Unless we signed Shaw three times, I have no idea what you are on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Who would be the most likely come in now if another transfer was to happen? Vidal and Carvalho looks dead in the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Blind is a CM. Think it needs to be added to the thread title.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yes because United should have predicted a hamstring injury and could have predicted an unusual holdup.

And in presuming you think Rojo and Blind are just LBs

Ffs this thread sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

beno619 wrote: »
    Blind is a CM. Think it needs to be added to the thread title.

Well Ducker did report that Blind was an alternative to Carvalho so he must be seen as a CM.

We still need another CM and we may have to wait for Strootman in January.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Who would be the most likely come in now if another transfer was to happen? Vidal and Carvalho looks dead in the water

I wouldn't be so sure. If Vidal has no issues against Chievo, I have visions of seeing him with Ed Woodward through the windows of the East Stand on Monday night at 22.45 to the sound of Jim White having a conniption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Signing Blind feels a lot like signing Fellaini did last year. Not exactly what we needed anything is better than nothing at this stage.

I have much more confidence that Van Gaal knows what he's doing than Moyes did but there's still a gapping hole down the spine of the team no matter how many fine passers of the ball we sign if we don't have a leader in defence and a honeybadger in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Great news about Blind, was impressed with him during the World Cup. He has a lot of energy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Zico wrote: »
    Signing Blind feels a lot like signing Fellaini did last year. Not exactly what we needed anything is better than nothing at this stage.

We're not in need of a CM no???

glued wrote: »
    Well Ducker did report that Blind was an alternative to Carvalho so he must be seen as a CM

A poor man's alternative. But then that's what happens when you spunk all of your money away on a show pony like Di Maria. The area that required most work has been neglected. But it's okay 'cause we can put square pegs in round holes and play either Rooney or Di Maria in midfield. For a $3b business, our club is run appallingly in certain respects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Very happy with Blind signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    It would be the definition of panic buy. Being so worried about your midfield that you're willing to throw money and bet on a player being in half decent shape in a few months.

No, Fellaini was the definition of a panic buy. Miss out on all your main targets so overpay on the last day so you can say you've signed someone.
    LVG wants Strootman, has always wanted Strootman, the question has always been when an offer would be made. If a bid is made now it will have more to do with finances and availability, not an expectation that he could be thrown in for a couple of games in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Very happy with Blind signing

Very happy is pushing it. Squad player, wont improve our first 11 long term as ud hope we sign a better CM than him and we already have rojo and shaw for lb

Decent signing, hopefully he is better in CM than Cleverly and Fletcher anyway for now, but the fact we only buying him now means he, like Rojo, is not first choice and we failed to land our main targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

We should have an excellent team in two weeks time. Pity about the start of the season...

Just looked at The Times football podcast page, the last three titles made me laugh a bit.
    United will be a different animal under Van Gaal

Followed by
    United being significantly weaker than last year is criminal

And the most recent one
    Ángel Di María deal smacks of Manchester United's desperation

Make up your minds lads!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement