Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Zico wrote: »
    Not everyone is a content as you to see the team slip to the level of Everton and Liverpool while the club sorts itself out.

I find that kind of funny at least based off our football for the last 12 months compared to theirs, I would love us to have the stability of Everton and Liverpool. Liverpool last year got a Champions League spot and Everton came close to it themselves.

At this particular moment I would consider playing at the level of Everton and Liverpool a huge improvement. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

You're entitled to your view, even if it is ridiculous.

An announcement re Blind and then a reference to a "further announcement" implies something else.

If you're claiming it's 100% clear, you're wrong.

Utd replied to their own tweet with this sentence.
    A further announcement will be made when the process is complete.

If you misinterpret that you should be embarrassed. Instead you try to defend the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Fescue wrote: »
    Any concerns over the quality of Blind and Rojo? I've seen a number of journalists who report on their respective leagues have doubts about both.

no idea about rojo but blind was voted player of the year in the league last season so not really for him and that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any concerns over the quality of Blind and Rojo? I've seen a number of journalists who report on their respective leagues have doubts about both.

Blind was the best midfielder in the dutch league last season. Won some award for it. Then went on and had a superb world cup in a variety of positions. No concerns here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Concerns on quality compared to who? They only need to be better than what we have. No concern there.

They are both good players who we bought for decent money and cover a few positions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'll go with the judgement of an experienced and successful manager over a journalist every time. That's not to say he can't get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

No. I know absolutely nothing about either league they came from, but I can tell you the professional sports-journalists who watch those leagues week-in, week-out know nothing.
    These lads, particularly Blind, will go on to be legends of the Van Gaal era. My source for this insight?? I can feel it me waters! :P

Chuffed that Blind signed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Goes to show the press knows nothing about our transfer activity

??? Miguel Delaney on 14th of August said we would sign 4 players, he even named them.

Rojo
    Di Maria
    Blind
    Vidal

3 out of 3 so far. i dont think this mans integrity can ever be called into question again.

??? Miguel Delaney on 14th of August said we would sign 4 players, he even named them.

Rojo
    Di Maria
    Blind
    Vidal

3 out of 3 so far. i dont think this mans integrity can ever be called into question again.

Thats 3 out of 4. Just saying. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Great news to wake up to. Very interesting to see how and where lvg used these players. We're certainly not short on the left now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

magnumbud wrote: »
    no idea about rojo but blind was voted player of the year in the league last season so not really for him and that price.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Blind was the best midfielder in the dutch league last season. Won some award for it. Then went on and had a superb world cup in a variety of positions. No concerns here.

I seen one journalist comment that though Blind was the standout player in the Dutch league last year, he didn't stand out like Vertonghen or Ericksen before them. He suggested he was more Everton quality than Manchester United.

I guess time will tell.

His versatility is probably worth the fee alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Need a win to kick start our season today. 15 days to our next game. Need a bit of feelgood on the pitch to match the goings on off field.

£8m received is for Cleverley, and £14m paid for Blind.

That's a net of only £6m.

Very good business, it must be said.

Let the clear-out continue.

if you look at it that Blind money has been funded by the sales of Buttner and Cleverly, then its a great deal in that sense. both are back up players and unlikely to ever feature in the starting 11 that often, so Blind can cover both of their roles in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

What the hell have ye been up to since I was away ... I wake up and bang we we sign Blind ... Ye little feckers :)

I seen one journalist comment that though Blind was the standout player in the Dutch league last year, he didn't stand out like Vertonghen or Ericksen before them. He suggested he was more Everton quality than Manchester United.

I guess time will tell.

His versatility is probably worth the fee alone.

It's a good thing Everton finished higher than us last season then, isn't it? :pac:

GSPfan wrote: »
    Thats 3 out of 4. Just saying. :)

weve made 3 signings, he predicted all 3. no need to be pedantic about it.

Juve pushing for a loan deal for Chico
    Omid Zamani ‏@OmldZamani 36s
    SKY Italia: #Chicharito is ready to sign for #Juve, he's waiting to see if United will accept Juve's loan offer, the agent is pushing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

TheTownie wrote: »
    Utd replied to their own tweet with this sentence.

If you misinterpret that you should be embarrassed. Instead you try to defend the indefensible.

The only people who should be embarrassed are the members of the clique within this thread and their acolytes who bay for blood like blind dogs when anyone dares to disagree with the consensus.

A transfer is announced...a "further announcement" is promised. That suggests something else given that it's difficult to "announce" something that people already know about.

Easier to try and pick a row over something trivial though, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Delighted to sign Blind. To have a 24 year old dutch international player that can slot into 3 positions if needed for £14mill is great business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The current situation reminds me of Inter Milan in the mid '90s after Brehme, Mathaus and Klinsmann moved on.

The whole thing went to sh1t for them despite spending an eye watering amount on players like Bergkamp, Pancev, Schillaci, Sosa, Shalimov, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo.

I hope we're not headed that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Kharrell wrote: »
    I think Blind will be the final signing for midfield rather than Vidal or the pair of them perhaps more accurately. Speaking to an Ajax supporting mate, he is adamant that Blind was far more impressive in midfield than left back for them. Maybe, just maybe it's simply Vidal as first choice with Blind as backup. Should be an interesting final few days to the transfer window.

Given the timing from Vidal's quotes earlier yesterday to Blind being known to be a United player late last night, think the above was fairly spot on.

Chuffed with this signing, tbh. 14M is a fair price for a player of his experience, age and versatility. Think he could have been gotten for 8-10M pre-World Cup, but impressing in that also drove his price up just a smidgen.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Juve pushing for a loan deal for Chico

the problem here is that the wages we are paying players, is just obscene compared to the rest of europe.

very few clubs can afford to take on the likes of Nani, Anderson, Fellaini and Hernandez as the wages are too high.

for loan deal, youd assume that they only part a portion of the wages, thus making it more realistic.

who ever has been managing our contract renewals over the past 5 years, should be moved on if they are still at the club - the fact that Valencia got a new bumper deal a few months back suggest they still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Juve can **** off, with their loan deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

So does everyone agree that this is our first 11 at the moment and can this get top 4

De Gea

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

Rafael
    Herrera
    Blind
    Shaw

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

No man you should be embarrassed because you're wrong and digging a hole for yourself. Move on

The only people who should be embarrassed are the members of the clique within this thread and their acolytes who bay for blood like blind dogs when anyone dares to disagree with the consensus.

A transfer is announced...a "further announcement" is promised. That suggests something else given that it's difficult to "announce" something that people already know about.

"...when the process is complete."

Did you deliberately stop reading before those words or something? What process do you think they're referring to?

On the bolded, plenty of people here have been critical of the club, you're not the only one. But looking for absolutely any stick to beat the club with, including what can only be willful misinterpretation of simple English, is tedious.

the transfer is not complete. its rare enough but personal terms and medicals can go wrong. they will announce when the deal is complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

So does everyone agree that this is our first 11 at the moment and can this get top 4

De Gea

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

Rafael
    Herrera
    Blind
    Shaw

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

No DiMaria??

Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

De Gea

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

Rafael
    Herrera
    Blind
    Shaw

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

Kinda missing the lad we just paid 60million for :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Di Maria flopped already :P

De Gea

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

Rafael
    Herrera
    Blind
    Shaw

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

you left out the noodle so no :D

weve made 3 signings, he predicted all 3. no need to be pedantic about it.

Was only joking with ya.

But no he predicted 4 and has got 3 so far. So it really is only 3 out of 4 so far. Hopefully we revisit this when Vidal signs and he actually gets 4 out of 4. Now that will be remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Great news about Blind, not in the class of Vidal or Pogba, but a lot better than what we have and can do a very good job for us until January or next summer, and then be a very good squad player if we get strootman.

What chance of another player now???

I wonder was Di Maria given assurances about the quality of player that would be signed in order to make sure it's only 1 year out of the champions league.

lol at the first sentence.

A transfer wasn't announce. An agreement was reached. The first part of a process which leads to a transfer being announced.

I'm leaving it at that. Having to translate English into English for someone is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

De Gea

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

Rafael
    Herrera
    Blind
    Shaw

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

:D

Nothing would surprise me at this stage but what was the Di Maria signing about then?

An LVG practical joke on Ed Woodward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Jesus, even the United twitter feed isn't safe from scrutiny now.

I'm surprised the word "delinquent" wasn't used, or some ridiculous analogy along the lines of buying a pool for your roofless house because we are tweeting about a player not signed yet when we should be concentrating on today's game.

I wonder what the "further announcement" is.

Some sort of tie up with Ajax?

That would be very welcome.

Could be....

Try Ajax, for when your club is in the sh!t.

0003500041130_500X500.jpg

i think thats us done now, apart from 2 or 3 players leaving. this is our first 11 for the season you would imagine.

DDG
    Rafael
    Jones
    Evans
    Shaw
    Blind

Herrera
    Di Maria

Mata

RVP
    Rooney

Subs: Lindegaard, Smalling, Rojo, Adnan, Welbeck, Valencia, Wilson.

that still leaves Blackett, James, Young, Fletcher, Fellaini, Carrick, Keane, Amos, plus i dount we will shift all 4 from Ando, Kagawa, Cleverly and hernandez out.

things certainly look at lot better than they did two weeks ago, but we still need to sign two top class player, a top class CB and CM.

we get those and our first 11 is looking ok. at the moment, i think we are top 3 at best but its better than being top which is where we were 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

A poor man's alternative. But then that's what happens when you spunk all of your money away on a show pony like Di Maria. The area that required most work has been neglected. But it's okay 'cause we can put square pegs in round holes and play either Rooney or Di Maria in midfield. For a $3b business, our club is run appallingly in certain respects.

I have no doubt you have not seen one game of Blind in cm but here you are calling him a poor man's alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That team should be well capable of making top 4 this season.

Really hopef on Hummels next Summer with Strootman in Jan, obvious squad additions too and we will look pretty OK.

Think Ed has redeemed himself a bit this window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I did see somewhere on twitter, can't find it now that Kagawa might be going back to Dortmund for £6.4m, pity, had high hope for him (obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

De Gea

Jones
    Evans
    Rojo

Rafael
    Herrera
    Blind
    Shaw

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

I think we have the players to move to a 4-3-3 or even a 4-4-2 diamond now. Hopefully we can get rid of this 3-5-2 formation, not a fan at all.

Top 4 is definitely achievable with that team team once Di Maria gets his sh!t together and breaks into the first team :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

i think thats us done now, apart from 2 or 3 players leaving. this is our first 11 for the season you would imagine.

DDG
    Rafael
    Jones
    Evans
    Shaw
    Blind

Herrera
    Di Maria

Mata

RVP
    Rooney

Subs: Lindegaard, Smalling, Rojo, Adnan, Welbeck, Valencia, Wilson.

that still leaves Blackett, James, Young, Fletcher, Fellaini, Carrick, Keane, Amos, plus i dount we will shift all 4 from Ando, Kagawa, Cleverly and hernandez out.

things certainly look at lot better than they did two weeks ago, but we still need to sign two top class player, a top class CB and CM.

we get those and our first 11 is looking ok. at the moment, i think we are top 3 at best but its better than being top which is where we were 2 weeks ago.

I felt yesterday that we would still get 2 players. I still think we will get one more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

dahat wrote: »
    That team should be well capable of making top 4 this season.

Really hopef on Hummels next Summer with Strootman in Jan, obvious squad additions too and we will look pretty OK.

Strootman and Hummels added to that team brings into man city and Chelsea territory.

Objective now is to actually win today, badly needed

Has any of the departures, Cleverly and Kagawa been confirmed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ep28.jpg

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Has any of the departures, Cleverly and Kagawa been confirmed yet?

No. I recall that LvG said in the Di Maria press conference that players would be told after the weekend (assuming he meant the weekend game) that they can go. Expect it to be Sunday/deadline day stuff.

Wouldn't be surprised if another player came in, either. Some window!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

zerks wrote: »
    ep28.jpg

Huh?

dahat wrote: »

nobody can answer this until the season has panned out. if we get top 3, even 4, then yes and we start all over again next summer to bridge the gap to the top.

if we miss out on top 4 and its those 5 points dropped that cost us, then no, he hasnt redeemed himself as the aim was to get back into the CL. weve given our rivals a 5 points head start already (weve had easier fixtures than all of them) which could have been avoided if we'd got our bisiness done on time.

its also correct to say that Rojo and Blind were only signed because we missed out (so far) on our main CB and CM targets though nobody is unhappy that we missed out on Vermaelen really.

SSN must be p!ssed off that all these deals are being done in the days running up to the window and not on deadline day. Lots of schedule to fill.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement