Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If Rojo signs then Jim White is your only man for transfer rumours on the Twitbox. Hopefully he does sign because we need defenders even though I know nothing about the chap.

Maybe this kick starts the transfer merri-go-round we're looking for. Or doesn't. Who knows?

Also, where are all these 'Rojo is a done deal' things coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hococop wrote: »
    With rojo do we own him 100% now or does that other partner still have a 75% ownership of any deals made with him

100% third party ownership now allowed in england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MagicIRL wrote: »
    If Rojo signs then Jim White is your only man for transfer rumours on the Twitbox. Hopefully he does sign because we need defenders even though I know nothing about the chap.

Maybe this kick starts the transfer merri-go-round we're looking for. Or doesn't. Who knows?

Also, where are all these 'Rojo is a done deal' things coming from?

How long ago did jim break the rojo deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

gonna be a rough few months. But he'll turn it around. 4th is the most realistic hope though.

reading elsewhere that people are afraid of lvg walking out due to woodward's incompetence, or lack of funds.

I don't believe that. I think lvg's late start is behind it. Perhaps he believes now it's time to act and woodward can't deliver in the time frame?

Whateves. I don't expect any more additions beyond this hugely uninspiring rojo signing. and I wouldn't be surprised if that falls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Really hope Rafeal and Shaw can stay fit this season. They could be really big players for us with this new system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Re Rojo, until I see it on manutd.com it has not happened yet, despite Sky Sports confidence.

Also about Roma's demands for Benatia, as someone else pointed out if you know club want between £24M - £28M ofr a player, why would united bid a cent more than £24M???

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How long ago did jim break the rojo deal?

Has to be a few weeks at this stage. I think he was first or there abouts, then came the whole third part ownership "crisis" and now we're here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Has to be a few weeks at this stage. I think he was first or there abouts, then came the whole third part ownership "crisis" and now we're here.

I knew he tweeted about Benatia but first I heard of Rojo was the Instagram story. Fair play if White had it too...

Whilst I like the idea of a world class cb in Benatia coming in I'm a bit skeptical over the ACON in January. He could be missing over a month! But if hes the best world class cb willing too move then I say pay Roma what they want and tell them we'll be back in Jan for Strootman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

If Benatia is available for less than 30mill we should go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Leftist wrote: »
    gonna be a rough few months. But he'll turn it around. 4th is the most realistic hope though.

reading elsewhere that people are afraid of lvg walking out due to woodward's incompetence, or lack of funds.

I don't believe that. I think lvg's late start is behind it. Perhaps he believes now it's time to act and woodward can't deliver in the time frame?

Whateves. I don't expect any more additions beyond this hugely uninspiring rojo signing. and I wouldn't be surprised if that falls through.

I'd agree with most of this.

I think Rojo will go through and we'll add at least on more player hopefully two and definitely two in Nani leaves on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So what if he leaves in a few years, we can plan for that straight away. He helps us deal with an issue we have now and if nothing else buys us time to target other players in the coming years.

We need players now, no point going for TC level players on the basis that they won't up sticks in a few years.

That, I think, is the problem with Utd. We are wedded to thinking that players must love this club and basically stay their whole career, until we decide they have no use. Then they can leave with our blessings.

Agreed. The guy will probably be no different to Tevez or Heinze – trouble in the end when he gets bored but will be well worth it for the next couple of years before that happens.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

KH25 wrote: »
    If Benatia is available for less than 30mill we should go for it.

If we have to throw 30 million at a player from now on, it has to be on players who are class now, not potentially in the future.

Benatia certainly falls into the former category. We need a world class centre back and a world class centre midfielder. 2 players that can form a spine in the team down the middle like Terry/Lampard, Carragher/Gerrard or Kompany/Yaya. There are too many players at United that are either "past their prime" or "have a lot of potential".

Essien did the same to push through his move to Chelsea and from what I recall has been a model pro since.

People are very quick to judge him basically because he's South American, he's apologized, get over it lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Another damming article on our recent transfer activities. Even if we land a few more players, for a club with our ambition it should never have come to this.

http://www.beyondthepitch.net/articles/post/index.cfm/2014/08/18/woodward-staring-down-the-barrel/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Reports of Rojo himself confirming the deal, hopefully the club follow suit soon, could do with a defender for next weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Not to state the obvious but it seems like any player nowadays thats above average and linked with us will cost us 30-35m

We don't go for WC or bargain buys anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

from what is being said by various sources, it looks like we are going all out for Di Maria, but somehow i get the feeling that the player has no interest in signing for us, but he perhaps ultimately wouldnt have much choice if Madrid want him out.

can only see us signing him, if nobody else wants him or more to the point, cant afford him.

regarding Rojo, its a hard deal to make out. if we move to a 4-3-3 which i hope we do (as that 3 at the back gives me nightmares), then is he good enough to play as first choice center back in a 2? i dont think so and i cant see him dislodging Shaw either.

In my opinion, the club has got itself into the position of having to overpay through it's inaction. Everyone knows the squad is in decline and has been for quite a few years now. We've brought in some great players like De Gea but we've also bought some dross.

Had we strengthened the team properly on a gradual basis from 2009, first by buying a class midfielder, we wouldn't be in this position of needing 3-4 top players and having every club hold us to ransom. The club has put itself in a weak bargaining position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Saw Twitter chatter that L'Equippe are claiming PSG have agreed a loan deal for DiMaria....

• Advertisement

wow....really sums up our transfer policy and certainly makes those blaming the Glazers look wide of the mark.

our wage bill is crazy also for the quality of players we have.

BvYe5W9IEAAUJWq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Rojo liked a picture of himself and Di Maria in front of the UTD crest

http://imgur.com/a/vsyOs

What a tease.

Seriously though, he seems to be the only one reporting he is a UTD player so far, if it falls through some people will have a serious laugh at his expense.

In my opinion, the club has got itself into the position of having to overpay through it's inaction. Everyone knows the squad is in decline and has been for quite a few years now. We've brought in some great players like De Gea but we've also bought some dross.

Had we strengthened the team properly on a gradual basis from 2009, first by buying a class midfielder, we wouldn't be in this position of needing 3-4 top players and having every club hold us to ransom. The club has put itself in a weak bargaining position.

The funny thing is, if the club chose to dump 200m in a single summer, they could shore up this problem and start the penny pinching and gradual buying the following window, but instead they seem to meander along trying to get a deal as the problem gets worse.

Carrick is 33. I reckon it's his final season. That means, come next Summer, we'll need two CMs as things stand, and thats just for the starting 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Di Maria wants to join PSG but Lavezzi doesn't want to leave and they need to get rid of Lavezzi to sign Di Maria under FFP. That's the line coming out of France. Lavezzi is quite a big earner too (€6.2M net pa). L'equipe have been reporting this for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

from what is being said by various sources, it looks like we are going all out for Di Maria, but somehow i get the feeling that the player has no interest in signing for us, but he perhaps ultimately wouldnt have much choice if Madrid want him out.

Were going to get burned here big time no doubt, reports in France today are saying that Madridhave agreed to loan him to PSg on the condition that they buy him next summer for 60m EUR, PSg just want Lavezzi of their wage bill first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Which is now even worse as there are 2 weeks left - the club is desperate and everyone knows it. Furthermore, any clubs we try to buy players from will have limited time to replace them, so will be even more against selling quality players to us.

It is an utterly pathetic situation Woodward has put United in.

I don't see how he can survive this summer in charge of transfers - I can see someone being brought in to handle transfers before January. LVG won't allow him near the negotiations again, imo.

its likely now at this stage, we wont have any new players in our team for Sunday either - they'd need to have been done by now to be in consideration surely?

its highly possibly that team on saturday will lose again next weekend as its f*cking brutal - RVP, Rafael and Evans are the only players coming in that would improve it but no guarantee that any of them are ready to play.

Di Maria won't happen in my opinion! Altho DiMaria #7 for united be great too see. He isn't as high up our list of prioritys as a cb or cm

You would have to question any player that chooses French football over the PL. It's a rubbish league.

• Advertisement

The funny thing is, if the club chose to dump 200m in a single summer, they could shore up this problem and start the penny pinching and gradual buying the following window, but instead they seem to meander along trying to get a deal as the problem gets worse.

Carrick is 33. I reckon it's his final season. That means, come next Summer, we'll need two CMs as things stand, and thats just for the starting 11.

I agree. One summer could fix it but it requires a massive financial outlay. Going on what has happened in the last year or so, the club (or Woodward or whoever) are trying to be smart and get deals on players which is in turn causing us to miss out on those players. It's funny because it will cost us more in the future to keep this up because we'll panic buy (Fellaini).

I can't see the club dropping the guts of 200million in one window. But it's obvious that the current approach is broken and needs to be fixed urgently.

Di Maria won't happen in my opinion! Altho DiMaria #7 for united be great too see. He isn't as high up our list of prioritys as a cb or cm

i said the same but after seeing things up close on saturday we really are awful in the final 3rd.

we have plenty of possession, but cant do anything with it. i think ultimately, matas place in the team is the one most at risk if we bring in Di Maria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

If LVG is to change to a 4-3-3 formation, does anyone think the team will line out in more of a 4-3-1-2 to accommodate Mata, Rooney and RVP (and playing them in their best positions)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

We're staring down the barrel of giving the field a six point head start.The situation is dire. We are the club that needs to do the most business and we have done the least. It's criminal. I could genuinely see Van Gaal walking.

We're staring down the barrel of giving the field a six point head start.The situation is dire. We are the club that needs to do the most business and we have done the least. It's criminal. I could genuinely see Van Gaal walking.

He's lost a single game. Holy ****, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Vidal #7 Di Maria #9 god like this was agreed weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

wow....really sums up our transfer policy and certainly makes those blaming the Glazers look wide of the mark.

our wage bill is crazy also for the quality of players we have.

BvYe5W9IEAAUJWq.jpg

Look, net spend is irrelevant in this context. The amount the club have invested in playing staff in the past 5 seasons is below that of City and Chelsea at this point and considerably so.
    The club have also been reliant in the past on young players coming through, which hasn't materialised. Then they've tried to buy young promising players, which unfortunately hasn't been too successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So 12 days to go until the window closes. Rojo seemingly done

Will there be more? Here is what else is getting circulated

No idea who this guy is but as LORD TSC said he is reporting that Madrid and PSG have a greed a loan deal for Di Maria

https://twitter.com/Jon_LeGossip/status/501630365111300096

No Idea who this guy is either but lots of people seem to ask him transfer releated questions and he says the Vidal deal isn't dead yet and Napoli are close to Fellaini

https://twitter.com/Juventus__fan/status/501613443661586432

Jamie Jackson on Arturo Vidal:

The view from Italy and Vidal’s homeland that the United manager does, indeed, admire the midfielder but that a combination of Juve’s asking price – £45m-plus – for a 27-year-old with scant sell-on value in three or four years’ time, and a knee problem, are making Van Gaal wary.
    After the manager decided against Kroos – who was then snapped up by Real Madrid for a bargain £20m – and against Fábregas, for whom Chelsea he

Ian Ladyman says we are in for Blind:
    They are also talking to Ajax about Holland utility man Daley Blind.

You pay too much attention to tabloid headlines.
    And what's with the 6 point lead ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I think Rooney is a barrier to us ever playing 4-3-3 in the near future. Van Persie is streets ahead as a central striker, and as soon as Rooney is pushed out wide all talk of him being misused will resurface, as will the tantrums. Should have sold him last summer, he slows down our play no end

If LVG is to change to a 4-3-3 formation, does anyone think the team will line out in more of a 4-3-1-2 to accommodate Mata, Rooney and RVP (and playing them in their best positions)?

Di Maria played wide of a midfield 2 for Madrid last season so its possible, we would need another signing beside Herrera tho.

theres various rumours around that Madrid would sell Khedira for very little money, its a no brainer to go for him considering we wanted him last summer.

i cant see tho Mata fitting in too well, he just doesnt have the pace required for any system LVG wants to bring in.

• Advertisement

He's lost a single game. Holy ****, pal.

He wouldn't be walking as a proxy for being sacked. He might walk due to "irreconcilable differences" with the club's executive in relation to transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I have seen a few reports claiming that we had Kroos agreed but let it slip.

Do people believe that? Tragic if it is true, best passer in the world after Darron Gibson (small joke if anyone read Martinez's comments yesterday)

You pay too much attention to tabloid headlines.
    And what's with the 6 point lead ???

Because I expect us to lose to Sunderland. We are in huge trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have seen a few reports claiming that we had Kroos agreed but let it slip.

Do people believe that? Tragic if it is true, best passer in the world after Darron Gibson (small joke if anyone read Martinez's comments yesterday)

No I dont believe that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

theres various rumours around that Madrid would sell Khedira for very little money, its a no brainer to go for him considering we wanted him last summer

Would take Khedira for 20-25 million, in a heatbeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not wanting Kroos for 20 million makes no sense. I reckon like the majority of players down the years, he chose Madrid and United are acting like a guy who got rejected by a girl "never wanted her anyway"

M.U.S.T are jumping on the green and gold bandwagon now and the talk of a anti Glazer protest at the QPR game is starting to grow, the only thing that can stop it is top class signings.

this is the last thing our players need after .

hopefully the away fans get behind them Sunday (dont think there is any doubt about that) after the horror show from our home fans last weekend.

Would love a green and gold jersey. Even as the #3 option.

Adidas could instantly win over the fans next season by doing it.

Would take Khedira for 20-25 million, in a heatbeat

Khedira would be an excellent signing. No doubt we have some ludicrous reason to pass on him. Seeing Fabregas' performance last night was particularly delightful from a United perspective. The whole situation is laughable.

i cant see tho Mata fitting in too well, he just doesnt have the pace required for any system LVG wants to bring in.

Mata will always have a place in LVG's systems, he always has a #10.

If it's 433 Rooney or RVP will and should be benched, no shoehorning crap.

Mata is suffering from the hole in our midfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement